inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People most responsible for the "creation" of the '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 1:20 am

I'm talking about those who were not only recongnizable pop culture figures, but who made the '90s what it is, especially in that time from late 1991 to 1996.

For music, most people would say Kurt Cobain and Eddie Vedder who were grunge heroes, which I agree with. I'd also throw in Mariah Carey, Collective Soul, Snoop Dogg, Michael Bolton, Red Hot Chili Peppers and Boys II Men for music.

Jerry Seinfeld personifies TV the most (Seinfeld is like THE '90s show, even up to the catchphrase of being "about nothing"). I used to think there weren't a whole lot of soap opera-type shows than in the surrounding decades, but I remembered Party of Five, Melrose Place, etc. Names like Tori Spelling and Jennifer Love-Hewitt come to mind. For outrageous talk shows, Ricki Lake, Jerry Springer and Maury dominated the mid-late '90s. Most of them existed beforehand, but either weren't yet big, or were more serious/different in format than they became known for.

While people like Tanya Harding and O.J. were huge in the news, they weren't really as much of a pop culture forces themselves.

P.S. It's kind of ironic that, while a 20-year old may long for the '90s the most because of their childhood, it's really more today's 40-year olds who actually created it.

Subject: Re: People most responsible for the "creation" of the '90s?

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/07 at 1:56 am

for tv i would say Baywatch  8)  It was on every day. It was a memorable part of 90's

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/06/07 at 2:00 am

^ Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. It's impossible to think of the '90s without Pamela Anderson anyway, lol.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 05/06/07 at 2:18 am

^ Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. It's impossible to think of the '90s without Pamela Anderson anyway, lol.
I know, and those red lifeguard suits. who was the Lieutenant chick with the short brown hair? I cant remember her name.

Written By: Kyle700 on 05/06/07 at 11:00 am

Music wise, here are some of the more influential artists/bands of the core of the 90's

Mariah Carey (1990-1999)

Nirvana (1991-1994)

Janet Jackson (1990-1998)

Boyz II Men (1991-1997)

Alanis Morissette (1995-1998)

TLC (1992-1999)

Madonna (1990-1999)

Celine Dion (1993-1999)

Stone Temple Pilots (1993-1996)

Collective Soul (1994-1996)

Seal (1991-1996)

R. Kelly (1994-1999)

Bone Thugs N Harmony (1994-1997)

Written By: jens_pinkflute on 05/06/07 at 1:35 pm

I would say all of the above, so far.  ::)  Mariah Carey, I think she was very influential during the 90s.

Written By: Dominic L. on 05/06/07 at 6:02 pm

Poke'mon was pretty popular, and left a lot of openings for other cheesy animes in the later part of the decade.

Written By: tv on 05/06/07 at 9:47 pm

The most popular artists from 1991-1996 period: Boyz II Men, Pearl Jam, Mariah Carey, TLC, 2 Pac, Stone Temple Pilots, R. Kelly, Alice In Chains, Nine Inch Nails/Trent Reznor(mostyl known for the album "The Downward Spiral" but NIN/Reznor were huge stars circa 1994-1999), Soundgarden, Green Day(love them or hate them), Sheryl Crow, Ace of Base, Counting Crows, Dr. Dre(Known for the album "The Chronic" mostly), Toni Braxton, and Live.

I would also have to add an R&B artist like Babyface in there because he produced for alot of artists in the 90's: Madonna, Tevin Campbell, Toni Braxton, Boyz II Men, Tony Rich Project, and even Eric Clapton and Phil Collins I think during the 90's. A producer like Brendan O' Brien who produced for Stone Temple Pilots and Pearl Jam I think as well I think should be named in this converstation as well.

TV shows: Seinfeld, Party Of Five, Family Matters, Full House, Step By Step, Boy Meets World, Home Improvement, Bevery Hills 90210, Living Single, New York Undercover, ER, and Friends.

Pro Sports:

NBA(Players): Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwan, Reggie Miller, Karl Malone, Shawn Kemp, Gary Payton, Shaq, Patrick Ewing, Anfernee " Penny" Hardaway(anybody remember "The Penny Doll"), and David Robinson.

Football: Troy Aikman, Emmitt Smith, Steve Young, Michael Irvin, Deion Sanders, Barry Sanders, Brett Favre, and Reggie White(RIP).

Written By: audkal on 05/06/07 at 10:57 pm

P.S. It's kind of ironic that, while a 20-year old may long for the '90s the most because of their childhood, it's really more today's 40-year olds who actually created it.

I hadn't really thought about that but that's pretty interesting.  It'll be weird in the like 10 years when teens (then) will be looking at people like John Mayer and Snoop Dogg as these "legends" because they're from the '00s, lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/07/07 at 7:33 am

I hadn't really thought about that but that's pretty interesting.  It'll be weird in the like 10 years when teens (then) will be looking at people like John Mayer and Snoop Dogg as these "legends" because they're from the '00s, lol.

Yeah, it'll be weird to hear something like, "Whoa dude, I listened to Justin Timberlake when I was 7 years old!" ;D

I always found it ironic that pop culture is usually formed by people who are associated with the previous decade by their age. Like the grunge guys, SNL cast members, or, say Ricki Lake were all born in the mid-late 1960s. I guess it makes sense, because entertainers are typically, like 17-35 when they're most popular.

Most '80s stars are in their 50s too now.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 05/11/07 at 12:20 am

Yeah, it'll be weird to hear something like, "Whoa dude, I listened to Justin Timberlake when I was 7 years old!" ;D

I always found it ironic that pop culture is usually formed by people who are associated with the previous decade by their age. Like the grunge guys, SNL cast members, or, say Ricki Lake were all born in the mid-late 1960s. I guess it makes sense, because entertainers are typically, like 17-35 when they're most popular.

Most '80s stars are in their 50s too now.

its so werid to think people in their 20's back in the 90s will be in their 40's in the 2010's

Written By: Haynsoul on 05/11/07 at 10:06 pm

its so werid to think people in their 20's back in the 90s will be in their 40's in the 2010's

Except Madonna.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/18/07 at 2:13 pm

Nirvana is somewhat up there.

Written By: whistledog on 05/18/07 at 2:16 pm

I know, and those red lifeguard suits. who was the Lieutenant chick with the short brown hair? I cant remember her name.

That was Stephanie (played by Alexandra Paul)

Baywatch sure was a defining moment of the 90s.  I believe it was the most popular syndicated action/drama series in the 90s

Written By: poomaster on 05/19/07 at 2:41 pm

Bill Clinton

Check for new replies or respond here...