inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 90's Country Music Boom

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 10:27 am

Garth Brooks, Shania Twain, Billy Ray Cyrus.  As I recall Country music had some airplay on top 40 radio.  Anyone care to discuss? 

Subject: Re: The 90's Country Music Boom

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/07 at 10:39 am

There was a few good country acts that were crossing over ot the pop charts.  I especially liked 'When She Cries' by Restless Heart

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 10:43 am

There was a few good country acts that were crossing over ot the pop charts.  I especially liked 'When She Cries' by Restless Heart

I remember that.  I believe they may have had two cross-over hits.

Written By: whistledog on 05/22/07 at 11:17 am

I remember that.  I believe they may have had two cross-over hits.

Three actually ...

1987 - I'll Still Be Loving You
1992 - When She Cries
1995 - Tell Me What You Dream

:)

Written By: spaceace on 05/22/07 at 1:40 pm

Three actually ...

1987 - I'll Still Be Loving You
1992 - When She Cries
1995 - Tell Me What You Dream

:)

I knew you were going to do that. ;D

Written By: nally on 05/22/07 at 5:49 pm

I seem to remember several country artists having big hits on the pop charts in the latter part of the decade. Into the 00's as well.

LeAnn Rimes...whose songs don't sound very much like country (especially "How Do I Live"). In fact, I like much of her stuff. :)
Shania Twain...who I could tolerate in 1998-99
Faith Hill...and hubby Tim McGraw
Lonestar...a band that broke through in 1999 with "Amazed"

There's probably others who I might list later.

Written By: tv on 05/22/07 at 6:16 pm

Although later pop history would say that Grunge was the all consuming music during my high school years, I remember that pop-country had a lot more presence.
Well I would say Grunge;s dominant years were 1992-mid 1995. Countries were on the pop charts dominance years were 1997-early 1999 probably. Actually, Grunge really wasn't popular on the Billlboard Hot 100 circa 1992-mid 1995 but Grunge was still pretty huge.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/23/07 at 9:10 am

I think the mainstreamization of country music in the '90s was one big period with two halves, and it picked up steam as it went.

Garth Brooks probably was the most responsible for the first wave, along with artists like Mary Chapin-Carpenter, Restless Heart and Tim McGraw (not a big fan per se, so I'm just going off the top of my head here). I see the 1991/'92 to 1996 time as being the warmup period for Leann Rimes, that period's Faith Hill, Shania, and the others who dominated in 1997-2001. I don't think they would've been as successful without the initial wave.

Written By: Pink on 05/23/07 at 11:26 am

Country was popular in all the 90s. From about 1989 (Garth Brooks) to 2000 (Faith Hill). Mostly in the late 90s when pop was big.

Written By: nally on 05/23/07 at 11:27 am

You are correct... but in the latter part of the decade, as mentioned above, it began to hit big all over the pop charts.

Written By: Windbreaker05 on 05/23/07 at 1:36 pm

You are correct... but in the latter part of the decade, as mentioned above, it began to hit big all over the pop charts.

That is because of a change in the way the pop charts monitored airplay rather than a change in the actual popularity of the genre.

Written By: nally on 05/23/07 at 4:13 pm

That is because of a change in the way the pop charts monitored airplay rather than a change in the actual popularity of the genre.

...and some country artists have songs that don't sound very much like country.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/24/07 at 2:18 am

I love country music of the early and mid 90's.

Check for new replies or respond here...