inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: slangs

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/25/07 at 11:23 am

What Year did "My bad" came into public?

Subject: Re: slangs

Written By: bigrene2 on 05/25/07 at 12:46 pm

Come on I just Wanna Know!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/07 at 1:57 pm

January 27th 1989

Written By: Henk on 05/25/07 at 2:08 pm

January 27th 1989

I think it was earlier than that. Or later.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/25/07 at 2:21 pm

No, it was on Feb. 31st, 1793.  :D

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 05/25/07 at 2:34 pm

Speaking of 90's slangs.  I've been having the urge to say" spew" a lot.  I hope I get over it very soon :P

Written By: Henk on 05/25/07 at 5:45 pm

Cat

Is it still celebrated every 7th year in...shoot! What was that place again...?  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 05/25/07 at 6:19 pm

i think it was in the early 90s. i remember the first time i heard that term, and i remember who said it. believe it or not. cuz it just struck me as weird. my bad? my bad what? you gonna finish your sentence, chicky? what gives?

she was an angry grad-school feminist so i actually omitted the "chicky" part.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 05/25/07 at 6:22 pm

I;ve been having the urge to say "Fresh"

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/25/07 at 11:02 pm

I think I started hearing it around 1998, but it wasn't an "everyday" phrase until the early '00s. When it's common enough to catch yourself saying it without meaning to, that's when you know it's popular, lol.

Written By: 1993 on 05/26/07 at 12:29 am

Mid 90's for me.

I remember "The bomb" came out around late 96 early 97. That was a funny one.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 05/26/07 at 9:51 am

As with everything mainstream, it was discovered very, very late by those in the American suburbs. I heard it in the 80s in my urban hemisphere.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/07 at 8:25 pm

^ I had no idea it was around for so long. ;) I guess it took a long time to catch on (just like "oh snap"). I don't even remember hearing it in most of the '90s at all, let alone '80s.

I remember "The bomb" came out around late 96 early 97. That was a funny one.

Yeah, that's one of those phrases I instantly remembered when I first heard it, just because it was so unique. I think it was early Fall of '96 when some kid at school said it. I didn't even realize it was a variation of "cool" until I heard it in context a few times, lol.

Written By: nally on 05/27/07 at 8:35 pm

Yeah, that's one of those phrases I instantly remembered when I first heard it, just because it was so unique. I think it was early Fall of '96 when some kid at school said it. I didn't even realize it was a variation of "cool" until I heard it in context a few times, lol.

"The bomb" (and/or "da bomb")? Yeah, people were saying it all around school at that time as well. I think I may have heard it used as early as 1995.

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/07 at 8:42 pm

^ Yeah, it always takes awhile for things to catch on with everyone. Heck, it could've been around in 1991 for just a circle of friends! You know what I realized about slang or fashion or anything else along those lines? It probably started with one person, then everyone else slowly started copying them. It would be interesting to see who "originated" all these slang words, lol.

Written By: nally on 05/27/07 at 8:44 pm

^ Yeah, it always takes awhile for things to catch on with everyone. Heck, it could've been around in 1991 for just a circle of friends! You know what I realized about slang or fashion or anything else along those lines? It probably started with one person, then everyone else slowly started copying them. It would be interesting to see who "originated" all these slang words, lol.

yeah...I often wonder about things like that.

Written By: skittlesking on 05/27/07 at 11:14 pm

Speaking of 90's slangs.  I've been having the urge to say" spew" a lot.  I hope I get over it very soon :P

Saying it a lot is ok, just don't do it a lot. . .it's a nasty nasty nasty feeling. . .

Written By: Marty McFly on 05/27/07 at 11:35 pm

^The first time I heard that phrase (which I still associate it with) is from Wayne's World - "If you're gonna spew, spew into this!" ;D

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 05/28/07 at 10:10 am

^The first time I heard that phrase (which I still associate it with) is from Wayne's World - "If you're gonna spew, spew into this!" ;D

There were quite a few slang bits brought on by Wayne's World

-"EX-CELLENT"

-"party on (insert name)"

-"NOT!"  (recently made a resurgance in Borat)

"I'm Not Worthy!"

"Schwinnnnggg!"

"And monkeys might fly out of my butt!!!"
or the various ways to describe a beautiful woman:  "She's babealicious", "If she were president she would be Babraham Lincoln"

Written By: tv on 05/28/07 at 6:29 pm

90's Slang:

"Whats Up?" or (Whats up Yo!)

"just chillin"

"Word Up"(that was a corny one though.)

I used to use the word "Dang or Dang yo" sometimes a few years ago but I don;t know if thats 90's or not.

As for a saying like "da bomb" yeah that was like a 1995-1997 saying.

Written By: tv on 05/28/07 at 6:38 pm

I;ve been having the urge to say "Fresh"
I remember thinking about the saying "Fresh" a couple years ago ironically when I thought of that I tought of "Kool And The Gang's" 1985 hit song "Fresh" in which the song goes "she's fresh fresh exciting she's so inivting to me".

Written By: nally on 05/29/07 at 12:36 am

Probably because it was the catchphrase of Animaniacs character Skippy Squirrel, who appears in your avatar. ;)

That show spawned a number of other catchphrases, such as "Hello.....nurse!" and "Narf!"

Written By: Dobby on 03/22/08 at 12:54 pm

Cat
You ain't funny, fool!  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/22/08 at 12:57 pm

Nowadays, I find much better and more suitable words to use.

Check for new replies or respond here...