inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Simpsons a show of the 90's?

Written By: analogue on 06/02/07 at 10:16 am

First of all i know that The Simpsons were around in the 80's and their still around today but to me the decade for The Simpsons was the 90's. During the 90's The Simpsons was at it's most popular especialy during the early 90's when Simpson's mania was huge. So whenever someone mentions The Simpsons to me the first thing i think of is the 90's

Subject: Re: The Simpsons a show of the 90's?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/02/07 at 10:33 am

To me, the quality began going slightly downhill in '98, although it still made some classic episodes until 2001 or so. But yeah, I always saw as permanently being a part of the 1990/'91-1998 "zeitgeist" (starting in the first couple seasons when Bart was more the star of the show) that has simply adapted itself for the changing times. It almost seems like Springfield is rooted in the early-mid '90s with outside influences of the times afterwards.

Written By: robby76 on 06/02/07 at 10:40 am

The first episode was on the 19th December 1989. The Simpsons has nothing to do with the 80s at all.

As for the 00s, yes it's still around but it's not making as big an impact as it did in the 90s. They even discontinued the Simpsons action figure line in the 00s. Maybe the new movie will change that.

Written By: analogue on 06/02/07 at 10:52 am

The Simpsons started off in 86/87 (Can't remember which year) as shorts on The Tracy Ullman Show so they were around in the 80's but if your talking about full length episodes then your right The Simpsons had nothing to do with the 80's

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/02/07 at 10:54 am

By no means would I call it an '80s show, but if you watch the first season or two(when the animation was crude, and Homer had his Walter Mathau-esque voice, lol) I do think it had a tinge of that campy Home Alone-era feel about it, even if just marginally.

I think it depends how long something goes on as for what it'll ultimately be defined as. I mean, if it were a relative flop and only lasted two seasons, we'd probably be calling it a "late '80s" show (not quite literally, but the way, say Fresh Prince or Saved By the Bell seemed to always have this 1989 or 1990ish vibe over them). However, since it had lasting success, the image changed along with it.

Check for new replies or respond here...