inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Best Canadian Shows of the 80s or 90s. You've seen them too, America!

Written By: McDonald on 06/03/07 at 11:39 am

OK, so which two are your favs? I picked Are you afraid of the dark and Degrassi Junior High. Loved them both.

http://www.bigplansbigcrash.com/images/snick/ayaotd.jpghttp://timstvshowcase.com/degrassijuniorhighdvd0.jpg

Subject: Re: Best Canadian Shows of the 80s or 90s. You've seen them too, America!

Written By: audkal on 06/03/07 at 11:44 am

Sadly Goosebumps and The Outer Limits were the only ones I've seen, so I chose those.  ;D

Subject: Re: Best Canadian Shows of the 80s or 90s. You've seen them too, America!

Written By: robby76 on 06/03/07 at 11:54 am

OTHER... The Edison Twins!!!

http://www.myspace.com/edisontwins

http://a261.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/00732/06/26/732516260_m.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 06/03/07 at 1:25 pm

^ The Edison Twins was awesome!  I wish they'd put it on DVD

From the list, I picked 'Degrassi' and 'Due South'.

Here's some more homegrown favourites I used to love that also saw success in the US ...

- Today's Special
- Danger Bay
- Bizarre
- The Raccoons (One of the greatest cartoon series ever!)
- The Super Dave Osborne Show
- The $40,000 Chain Reaction
- Jackpot! (80s version)
- My Secret Identity
- Night Heat (This was the first ever Canadian drama series to air on a US network)

Written By: limblifter on 06/04/07 at 2:27 pm

My favourite was a show that aired on the CBC starring Don Mckellar called Twitch City.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_City

But I picked Kids In The Hall from the list.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/07 at 7:43 pm

Kids in The Hall and SCTV

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/07 at 7:46 pm

What about OWL TV?

I like the theme song alot, but not sure if it aired iin the States.

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/07 at 8:03 am

I love love love the Degrassi Shows... and I miss Ready or not... I wish they would release it on DVD already! >:(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/10/07 at 8:32 am

Kids In The Hall
Are You Afraid Of The Dark?

Written By: RobertK on 06/10/07 at 9:42 am

I chose The Outer Limits and The Kids in the Hall.  Another show I liked is The Red Green Show.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to see too many episodes, but the ones I saw I loved.

Written By: audkal on 06/10/07 at 11:59 am

Another show I liked is The Red Green Show.  Unfortunately, I didn't have a chance to see too many episodes, but the ones I saw I loved.

I love Red Green!  :)  Wasn't Erie Indiana(sp?) also a Canadian show?

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 12:03 pm

Wasn't Erie Indiana(sp?) also a Canadian show?

The original NBC version that ran from 1991-1992 wasn't, but the FOX spin-off titled "Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension" was.  It ran from 1997-1998 

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/07 at 12:03 pm

I love Red Green!  :)  Wasn't Erie Indiana(sp?) also a Canadian show?

I think it was a US show taped in Canada; like 21 Jumpstreet and X-Files

Written By: audkal on 06/10/07 at 12:09 pm

The original NBC version that ran from 1991-1992 wasn't, but the FOX spin-off titled "Eerie, Indiana: The Other Dimension" was.  It ran from 1997-1998 

Okay yeah, the '97/'98 one was the one I watched, thanks.  :)

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/07 at 12:22 pm

Okay yeah, the '97/'98 one was the one I watched, thanks.  :)

I didn't even know that the later version existed

Written By: audkal on 06/10/07 at 12:47 pm

I didn't even know that the later version existed

That's too bad, it was good, lol.  ;D

Written By: McDonald on 06/10/07 at 4:50 pm

I love Red Green. I think of it as the pre-cursor to Corner Gas.

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 5:38 pm

I love Red Green. I think of it as the pre-cursor to Corner Gas.

CTV should do an episode of Corner Gas where Red Green and Harold visit Dog River.  That would be awesome!

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/10/07 at 5:50 pm

I can't believe the Red Green Show doesn't have more votes....

Written By: snozberries on 06/10/07 at 7:03 pm

I can't believe the Red Green Show doesn't have more votes....

I have never heard of this show... did it play in the US?

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/10/07 at 8:04 pm

I have never heard of this show... did it play in the US?

I can get it on the PBS station here in upstate NY, the station is in Watertown, about 35 miles from the Canadian border.....plus, I think the station is CKWS out of Canada that we receive as well...

Written By: whistledog on 06/10/07 at 9:29 pm

I can get it on the PBS station here in upstate NY, the station is in Watertown, about 35 miles from the Canadian border.....plus, I think the station is CKWS out of Canada that we receive as well...

It does air on CKWS yes (I know this cause CKWS is the local station of where I live lol)

Tell me, since you live in Upstate NY, do you ever get sick of those Billy Fuccillo commercials?  I swear, everytime I see one of his ads, it's always a new one.  I'd swear, he makes like one per day.  "It's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!" ;D

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/11/07 at 5:43 am

It does air on CKWS yes (I know this cause CKWS is the local station of where I live lol)

Tell me, since you live in Upstate NY, do you ever get sick of those Billy Fuccillo commercials?  I swear, everytime I see one of his ads, it's always a new one.  I'd swear, he makes like one per day.  "It's HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE!" ;D

Yeah, Billy Fuccillo is the most obnoxious character I know....every time I see his picture plastered on a TV screen is my incentive to get up and grab another cup of coffee or something....right after I turn down the volume on the TV....

Written By: whistledog on 06/11/07 at 7:55 pm

Yeah, Billy Fuccillo is the most obnoxious character I know....every time I see his picture plastered on a TV screen is my incentive to get up and grab another cup of coffee or something....right after I turn down the volume on the TV....

You must drink alot of coffee then ;D
His ads are on just about every Watertown/Syracuse channel during every commercial break.  It's almost impossible to escape them.  Early in the morning, he's even got a half hour of programming where they show bloopers of him and Tom Park.  Billy Fucillo .. the Gilbert Gottfried of Upstate NY ;D

Written By: esoxslayer on 06/12/07 at 6:30 am

You must drink alot of coffee then ;D
  Billy Fucillo .. the Gilbert Gottfried of Upstate NY ;D

More coffee than I should I'm sure, but fortunately I don't watch a lot of TV....

Never thought of him as GG, but it's a pretty accurate assessment......

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/12/07 at 1:18 pm

DeGrassi (I STILL watch it :-[) and Kids in the Hall

Written By: Satish on 06/12/07 at 3:55 pm

I don't think "The Outer Limits" TV show that aired on Showtime in the 1990s counts as Canadian. Sure, it was filmed in Canada, but the production company and most of the people who worked on the show were from outside the country. You might as well say that "The X-Files" was a Canadian show, since it was filmed in Vancouver.

Written By: McDonald on 06/12/07 at 7:45 pm

DeGrassi (I STILL watch it :-[) and Kids in the Hall

I watch four episodes in a row on Sundays when I can, dubbed in French on VrakTV.

And I'm talking old school Degrassi, not the new generation or whatever, which I'm glad is the most popular teen drama in the world and it's Canadian and all, but it just isn't my thing.

Written By: whistledog on 06/12/07 at 7:54 pm

Old school Degrassi will always be the best ...

going way back to the early early 80s with 'The Kids of Degrassi Street'

Some Trivia:  Many of the actors who starred in Degrassi High/Junior High also starred on 'The Kids of Degrassi Street' but as totally different characters

Written By: limblifter on 06/13/07 at 2:16 pm

Some Trivia:  Many of the actors who starred in Degrassi High/Junior High also starred on 'The Kids of Degrassi Street' but as totally different characters

I remember Wheels being in both, but no one else.

Written By: ladybug316 on 06/13/07 at 4:37 pm

I watch four episodes in a row on Sundays when I can, dubbed in French on VrakTV.

And I'm talking old school Degrassi, not the new generation or whatever, which I'm glad is the most popular teen drama in the world and it's Canadian and all, but it just isn't my thing.
I like 'em all!  They're having a marathon every weekend this month and I'm hooked!

Written By: McDonald on 06/14/07 at 8:12 pm

Old school Degrassi will always be the best ...

going way back to the early early 80s with 'The Kids of Degrassi Street'

Do you remember "Degrassi Talks" ? It was the short-lived after-school special type show they did with all the actors from Degrassi to talk about the tough issues, like drugs, alcohol, abuse, sex etc... The actors even wrote and sang the theme song and it was SOOO corny yet SOOO good.

Here's the link to see the opening theme...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XFp1LXVOEHY

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/07 at 8:16 pm

Do you remember "Degrassi Talks" ? It was the short-lived after-school special type show they did with all the actors from Degrassi to talk about the tough issues, like drugs, alcohol, abuse, sex etc... The actors even wrote and sang the theme song and it was SOOO corny yet SOOO good.

Here's the link to see the opening theme...
http://youtube.com/watch?v=XFp1LXVOEHY

I sure do remember that.  Degrassi was so popular at the time, that it was a good way for kids to learn about the dangers of drugs and alcohol.  If Joey Jeremiah tells you drugs are bad, then the kids will listen

Written By: snozberries on 06/15/07 at 7:34 am

WOO HOO!  Kids of Degrassi Street and Degrassi High are coming to DVD in July 

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/07 at 3:25 am

Another great Canadian show was Nikita (known outside of Canada as La Femme Nikita)

At one time I was considering getting all the DVD sets, but everywhere I see them, they cost atleast $90 each.  It was a good show, but not worth those prices :o

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/207667.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/238222.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/244679.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L10264140.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/muze/dvd/349038.jpg

Written By: McDonald on 06/16/07 at 9:23 am

Another great Canadian show was Nikita (known outside of Canada as La Femme Nikita)

At one time I was considering getting all the DVD sets, but everywhere I see them, they cost atleast $90 each.  It was a good show, but not worth those prices :o

http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/207667.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/238222.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products//muze/dvd/244679.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/L10264140.jpg http://images.overstock.com/f/102/3117/8h/www.overstock.com/images/products/muze/dvd/349038.jpg

I remember the show. It played in the States on the USA Network, which was, incidentally, owned by a Canadian company at the time. I wasn't a fan though... too young.

Hey, do you remember Jonovision? It didn't play outside of Canada, but it was a cool little show while it was around. And now Jono plays J-Roc on Trailer Park Boys (which IMO is a contender for greatest Canadian show ever).

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/07 at 1:11 pm

Hey, do you remember Jonovision? It didn't play outside of Canada, but it was a cool little show while it was around. And now Jono plays J-Roc on Trailer Park Boys (which IMO is a contender for greatest Canadian show ever).

I watched Jonovision quite often.  I remember he did a Degrassi reunion (This was long before Degrassi: The Next Generation) and several members of his audience had come from the USA just to see the cast.  Some were upset that Wheels wasn't there lol

He is hilarious on TPB.  Yiu know, TPB is broadcast in several parts of the world.  I used to think it was only shown in Canada

The TPB appeared in the video 'The Darkest One; by the Tragically Hip, and Bubbles also makes a solo appearance in the videos: 'Drinkin' Thinkin' by George Canyon and 'Everybody Wants to Be Like You' by Snow

The thing that amazes me is that TPB is like the only original show on SHOWCASE that doesn't have nudity. THave you ever seen SHOWCASE AFTER DARK ... man talk about X-Rated ;D

Written By: McDonald on 06/19/07 at 1:28 pm

I watched Jonovision quite often.  I remember he did a Degrassi reunion (This was long before Degrassi: The Next Generation) and several members of his audience had come from the USA just to see the cast.  Some were upset that Wheels wasn't there lol

He is hilarious on TPB.  Yiu know, TPB is broadcast in several parts of the world.  I used to think it was only shown in Canada

The TPB appeared in the video 'The Darkest One; by the Tragically Hip, and Bubbles also makes a solo appearance in the videos: 'Drinkin' Thinkin' by George Canyon and 'Everybody Wants to Be Like You' by Snow

The thing that amazes me is that TPB is like the only original show on SHOWCASE that doesn't have nudity. THave you ever seen SHOWCASE AFTER DARK ... man talk about X-Rated ;D

Yeah that's true about Showcase, but their original shows are pretty interesting. I don't get the channel up here, but there is a Francophone channel called Séries + that shows dubbed versions of a lot of their better shows (but not TPB, unfortunately). If I watch TPB it's usually at a buddy's house or on DVD. Did you see the movie? I saw it when it came out. I was lucky enough to have happened to be in Kitchener, ON at the time of its release. I loved every minute of it.

Snow, eh? That guy's still kicking around making music? I'm impressed. I've heard some of his songs, but I only ever did like the big hit he had, 'Informer'.

Did you see the TPBs hosting the East Coast Music Awards? They were hilarious, as usual.

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/07 at 2:25 pm

Yeah that's true about Showcase, but their original shows are pretty interesting. I don't get the channel up here, but there is a Francophone channel called Séries + that shows dubbed versions of a lot of their better shows (but not TPB, unfortunately). If I watch TPB it's usually at a buddy's house or on DVD. Did you see the movie? I saw it when it came out. I was lucky enough to have happened to be in Kitchener, ON at the time of its release. I loved every minute of it.

Snow, eh? That guy's still kicking around making music? I'm impressed. I've heard some of his songs, but I only ever did like the big hit he had, 'Informer'.

Did you see the TPBs hosting the East Coast Music Awards? They were hilarious, as usual.

I haven't seen the movie yet no.  I hear there is talks of a sequel to it

Snow is still around yep.  He made a HUGE comeback in Canada in 2000 with an album titled 'Mind on the Moon' and with the 2nd single The Plumb Song, gave him his most popular hit since 'Informer'.  Slight confusion on my part .. the Snow video that Bubbles appeared in was Legal in 2003

I did see TPB on the awards.  They were great!

Written By: McDonald on 06/20/07 at 10:04 am

I haven't seen the movie yet no.  I hear there is talks of a sequel to it

Snow is still around yep.  He made a HUGE comeback in Canada in 2000 with an album titled 'Mind on the Moon' and with the 2nd single The Plumb Song, gave him his most popular hit since 'Informer'.  Slight confusion on my part .. the Snow video that Bubbles appeared in was Legal in 2003

I did see TPB on the awards.  They were great!

I'm really impressed by this. I didn't think Snow had it in him.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/24/07 at 7:44 pm

AWWWWW, I like so many of those shows but I would have to say Degrassi, hands down.. I liked ready or Not and Mr Wizard alot, so sad to hear of his passing...
Of the new shows on Canadian Tv, I love Corner Gas. :)

Written By: McDonald on 06/25/07 at 7:08 pm

AWWWWW, I like so many of those shows but I would have to say Degrassi, hands down.. I liked ready or Not and Mr Wizard alot, so sad to hear of his passing...
Of the new shows on Canadian Tv, I love Corner Gas. :)

Now that's some great Canadian TV right there. I love that show. It picked up where Red Green left off. Did you know that you can watch it for free on CTV.ca if you're on a computer in Canada?

As for other Canuck shows I love these days:

This Hour Has 22 Minutes
The Rick Mercer Report
The Hour
Whistler
Royal Canadian Air Farce
W Five
Marketplace
The National
Canadian Idol (Corny, but way better than the American version)

Obviously, a lot of CBC stuff since it's like one of three or four English channels I get.

Written By: whistledog on 06/25/07 at 10:04 pm

I enjoy this show tootoo.  I got a kick during the show's first season auditions how alot of the idol wannabees didn't even know who Sass Jordan was ;D

There are still some people who don't know lol  She's one of those singers where you say "Oh yeah, I remember that song.  Didn't know it was her that sang it"

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/25/07 at 10:43 pm

Now that's some great Canadian TV right there. I love that show. It picked up where Red Green left off. Did you know that you can watch it for free on CTV.ca if you're on a computer in Canada?

As for other Canuck shows I love these days:

This Hour Has 22 Minutes
The Rick Mercer Report
The Hour
Whistler
Royal Canadian Air Farce
W Five
Marketplace
The National

Obviously, a lot of CBC stuff since it's like one of three or four English channels I get.

I love The National... I watch it when i can....  I have never watched Canadian idol but I must say, I enjoy Canadian artists so I bet it would be better than the American idol and wait for it..........  I have never seen an episode of that,,, and NEVER WILL :)

Written By: McDonald on 06/26/07 at 8:48 am

I love The National... I watch it when i can....  I have never watched Canadian idol but I must say, I enjoy Canadian artists so I bet it would be better than the American idol and wait for it..........  I have never seen an episode of that,,, and NEVER WILL :)

Seriously... The National is the best news programme in North America. Not only does it give you the news, straight up - no spin, but every night there is a short documentary on something both interesting and important. Not to mention that Peter Mansbridge is the most professional anchorman ever, perhaps since Peter Jennings in the States (who himself was a Canadian).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7c/Peter_Mansbridge.jpg/250px-Peter_Mansbridge.jpg

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/26/07 at 10:37 pm

Seriously... The National is the best news programme in North America. Not only does it give you the news, straight up - no spin, but every night there is a short documentary on something both interesting and important. Not to mention that Peter Mansbridge is the most professional anchorman ever, perhaps since Peter Jennings in the States (who himself was a Canadian).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7c/Peter_Mansbridge.jpg/250px-Peter_Mansbridge.jpg

So true... I agree with u.  I loved peter Jennings, he was such a great talent.... :\'(

I was thinking again about shows on Canadian Tv today and I remember Street Sense.. I thought that was a great show too... Informative ;)

Written By: McDonald on 06/27/07 at 10:19 am

So true... I agree with u.  I loved peter Jennings, he was such a great talent.... :\'(

I was thinking again about shows on Canadian Tv today and I remember Street Sense.. I thought that was a great show too... Informative ;)

Ah yes, the show for smart consumers. It's not on anymore, but they've replaced it with Marketplace which is a great show. And on Radio-Canada each week they have the show L'Épicerie (the Grocieries) where the hosts discuss which meats, fruits, and vegetables will be in season and available for a good price at which major supermarket chains. The show's in French, but it can be a real money-saver at the market.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/27/07 at 8:57 pm

Ah yes, the show for smart consumers. It's not on anymore, but they've replaced it with Marketplace which is a great show. And on Radio-Canada each week they have the show L'Épicerie (the Grocieries) where the hosts discuss which meats, fruits, and vegetables will be in season and available for a good price at which major supermarket chains. The show's in French, but it can be a real money-saver at the market.

So they stopped making Street Sense?  Too bad.. I will have to check out Marketplace... I like shows like that.  Is it the same format on that show as Street sense with a young cast or is their something for everyone?

Written By: McDonald on 06/28/07 at 1:29 pm

So they stopped making Street Sense?  Too bad.. I will have to check out Marketplace... I like shows like that.  Is it the same format on that show as Street sense with a young cast or is their something for everyone?

No. Not a young cast. There is one host and it is more like a show for everybody.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 06/28/07 at 10:26 pm

No. Not a young cast. There is one host and it is more like a show for everybody.

Cool, i will have to check it out

Check for new replies or respond here...