inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Bush 41's term "transitional" between the '80s and '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/07 at 12:39 pm

I was just thinking about the idea that what we associate as "the Nineties" basically happened under Clinton. Although it's hard to deny that alot of very important and changeful events happened in George H. Bush's term. Such as the Gulf War, the recession and L.A. Riots. It was probably one of the fastest-changing periods, actually. Alot in pop culture was shifting too, especially throughout 1991 with the rise of cheesy dance/house music like "Gonna Make You Sweat", revised AC-pop like Amy Grant, the beginning of gangsta rap and "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at the end of the year.

But in a way, early 1989 to early 1993 seems to really be a transition from the hair metal/yuppie era to the grunge/slacker era.

Once the Berlin Wall crumbled and Reagan was out of office, I get the impression that it certainly no longer felt like the Miami Vice/screaming Eighties era. Although the overground pop culture in 1989-1991 was like a watered-down late '80s, quite a bit of the '90s was forming too, like The Simpsons.

Subject: Re: Was Bush 41's term "transitional" between the '80s and '90s?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/16/07 at 7:24 pm

Yeah, I agree that the 1989-1992 period was it's own unique period. Other than Bush Sr.'s single term, I also associate that time period with the Afro-centric style clothes, neon colors, the high-top fades, and TV shows like The Simpsons, Arsenio Hall, Cops, Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, In Living Color, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, etc. It was also when gansta rap, new jack swing, and grunge were big, although they had their popularity before and/or after those years (new jack swing started in 1987 and lasted until 1996, while grunge started in 1991). Some of the movies from that time period include the first Batman, Home Alone, Terminator 2, Wayne's World. The other pop-cultural traits I remember from that time include Ninja Turtles, and who can forget, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

On the down side, it was the period like you mentioned with the recession and the peak of urban violence and the crack epidemic. That is why the culture was more violent back then, and it was reflected in the gangsta rap lyrics, and it inspired movies such as Boyz N The Hood (great movie, btw. One of my all-time favorites).

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/07 at 8:40 pm

Yeah, I agree that the 1989-1992 period was it's own unique period. Other than Bush Sr.'s single term, I also associate that time period with the Afro-centric style clothes, neon colors, the high-top fades, and TV shows like The Simpsons, Arsenio Hall, Cops, Baywatch, Saved By The Bell, In Living Color, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Family Matters, etc. It was also when gansta rap, new jack swing, and grunge were big, although they had their popularity before and/or after those years (new jack swing started in 1987 and lasted until 1996, while grunge started in 1991). Some of the movies from that time period include the first Batman, Home Alone, Terminator 2, Wayne's World. The other pop-cultural traits I remember from that time include Ninja Turtles, and who can forget, "Help! I've fallen and I can't get up!"

On the down side, it was the period like you mentioned with the recession and the peak of urban violence and the crack epidemic. That is why the culture was more violent back then, and it was reflected in the gangsta rap lyrics, and it inspired movies such as Boyz N The Hood (great movie, btw. One of my all-time favorites).

Yeah, there was a huge crime rate in the early '90s, in fact it was probably even more violent and on the edge than it is now, even if much of the pop culture seemed lighter and fluffier. For instance, I've heard about how New York City and especially Times Square was before Giulliani was mayor and helped clean it up.

I agree, I think of shows like Fresh Prince, that period's Full House or Saved By the Bell as characterizing this time very well.

1989 and 1990 run in with each other. They're stronger on the '80s side with late period hair metal, or modified new wave such as Depeche Mode or "King of Wishful Thinking". Although the '90s were getting off the ground and even Seinfeld had its first episode that year, it didn't infiltrate culture yet, especially outside the mainstream. It was like a tired late '80s period that knew it was getting ready to go to bed, but thought it would stay up for just a little longer with the TV on, lol.

1991 was both ways really. I would say the mainstream, established things were more like what came a couple years before, but the overall culture was closer to what came later, since so many "new" things came out that year. The big picture was '90s. If someone made a year out of the end of '91, that's sorta what 1992 was. There were a few '80s things in a modified sense, but it was clear they were on their way out.

The changefulness of 1991 was entirely mainstream by 1993, and I think Clinton coming into office had alot to do with that. Even the Internet in its very earliest phase existed then.

I wonder if the entire '90s would've been more like c. 1992 if Bush Sr. were re-elected?

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/18/07 at 5:14 pm

Yeah, there has been a surge in crime over the last few years. Still not as high as it was back then, but relatively high. However, cities like New York, L.A., and Chicago are still improving.

I show I forgot to mention from that time was Married With Children. That was actually one of my favorite shows of all time.

Now what would the rest of the 90's been like if Bush Sr. got reelected instead of Clinton? Good question. Maybe it would have continued to be more like the early 90's, but I'm not sure.

Check for new replies or respond here...