inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Green Day and Offspring similar to each other?

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/17/07 at 2:52 am

I used to think they were very close (although each had their own distinct sound). Both are like commercialized punk that has angry themes, but often it's humorous in a tongue in cheek way and appealed to a bigger audience. If you look at their '90s careers, you could sorta say they were like-minded, but nowadays I don't think so as much.

Green Day has more longevity, maybe because they've had a bunch of "pretty big" hits, as opposed to one huge one they could be typecasted for. Offspring seems kinda frozen in their "Pretty Fly For a White Guy" stage - which was poppier than their earlier stuff. They've had two albums since then with smaller hits, but haven't really been massively popular since c. 1998/'99 (although I heard they have a CD coming out this year). Even though Offspring doesn't really do ballads, they seem to be a little more diverse.

P.S. I personally like both bands quite a bit, so none of this is a knock on either of them. ;)

Subject: Re: Are Green Day and Offspring similar to each other?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/07 at 10:51 am

Hmmm, I never really put them in the same basket even though Offspring is punk as well...not too familiar with that scene (90s pop punk), even though I was a fan of Green Day. Musically, they seem really different to me, that's all I can really say. The Offspring are actually a very old band (I think they formed in the early 80s) that emerged from the embers of the original L.A. punk scene (I couldn't really name names not being familiar with this scene), while Green Day - along with bands like Blink 182, emerged from the wave of pop punk that hit California in the early 90s.

Written By: audkal on 06/17/07 at 2:43 pm

I love both of these bands too (I like Green Day a tad more though).  In some ways they are alike but Offspring seems like they have more  of a hard metal sound.  Green Day seems a lot more punk than Offspring I think.

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/07 at 9:29 pm

To me they aren't similar.  Offspring don't have any good songs.  Green Day have a few good songs

I never used to like Green Day, but I thought their 'American Idiot' album was OK.  Not something I would buy or download, but I thought it was listenable :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/18/07 at 3:22 pm

I love both of these bands too (I like Green Day a tad more though).  In some ways they are alike but Offspring seems like they have more  of a hard metal sound.  Green Day seems a lot more punk than Offspring I think.

Yeah, that makes sense. I had this one friend in high school who tended to be into the more hardcore punk stuff (from all eras, but particularly the old-school stuff from the late '70s and early '80s), and he was an Offspring fan too, lol.

I also agree with Trimac that they're more vintage, both in sound and themes. They're kinda like the '80s underground punk scene (of what I know about it, at least) that adapted itself for the mid-late '90s which agreed with it. Even the old-school Green Day doesn't sound dated - like "Welcome To Paradise" or "When I Come Around" could've been on American Idiot and not been out of place.

Written By: BRfanr06 on 06/27/07 at 12:00 am

offspring is the way better band. they are my second fav and Ive listened to them for years. they are way better than green day but in terms of sound, eh its up to you to decide

Check for new replies or respond here...