inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Phil Collins something of a '90s artist, too?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/07 at 6:21 pm

Even though people usually think of him as being '80s (he was massively popular probably in the 1984-1992 time - like from "Against All Odds" through Genesis' last album with him, We Can't Dance), I just thought about how, he actually has more '90s credit than some people would think at first.

I just listened to "Both Sides of the Story", which seemed to be like a harder-edged commentary on '90s street life (it's like a heavier "Another Day in Paradise"). Also, his Disney music phase started with the Tarzan soundtrack. In a way, that's like an evolution of his AC pop songs.

Subject: Re: Is Phil Collins something of a '90s artist, too?

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 8:01 pm

He was in the 90s, and had a fair amount of hits, but I wouldn't really consider him to be a 90s artist.  I bet for most people, when they think Phil Collins, the first song that comes to mind would be an 80s one

Whenever there is mention of him, you never hear people say things like "Oh yeah, didn't he do 'Dance Into the Light' in the 90s" or "Oh, you mean the guy who did those Tarzan songs?" lol

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/01/07 at 8:09 pm

He was in the 90s, and had a fair amount of hits, but I wouldn't really consider him to be a 90s artist.  I bet for most people, when they think Phil Collins, the first song that comes to mind would be an 80s one

Whenever there is mention of him, you never hear people say things like "Oh yeah, didn't he do 'Dance Into the Light' in the 90s" or "Oh, you mean the guy who did those Tarzan songs?" lol

Good point, it wasn't that commercial or popular like, say "Sussudio" was, but he did progress beneath the surface in a way. His two previous solo albums, But Seriously and especially Both Sides of The Story had been pretty dark and somber. I guess I always saw Dance Into the Light as being a way of contemporizing his dance/pop style for c. 1996. Same for the cover of "True Colors".

Written By: whistledog on 07/01/07 at 8:13 pm

Good point, it wasn't that commercial or popular like, say "Sussudio" was, but he did progress beneath the surface in a way. His two previous solo albums, But Seriously and especially Both Sides of The Story had been pretty dark and somber. I guess I always saw Dance Into the Light as being a way of contemporizing his dance/pop style for c. 1996. Same for the cover of "True Colors".

A while ago, I had considered doing a post on all of hits, to showcase all his 90s efforts, because in those days, he was the typical leftover 80s singer who struggled to stay alive amidst a world of hip hop and grunge.  He did alright though :)

Written By: audkal on 07/01/07 at 11:34 pm

Now actually that's the one thing I always say about him--that Tarzan is my favorite work by him. ;D  Though I also like songs like That's All.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/02/07 at 2:05 am

Phil Collins is predominently an 80s artist, he had several hits in both the 80s and 90s, but the 80s hits are better known.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/02/07 at 3:44 pm

He is mostly an 80's artist, but he have songs in the 90's too.

Written By: Nicky Bain on 07/02/07 at 4:11 pm

Never liked him

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/03/07 at 3:03 am

C'mon, really, any songs or "hits" that Phil Collins had in the 90's, compared to his work in the 80's was purely a commercial venture, a sleepwalking exercise.

"Dancing into the Light" is a abomination, just another reason to claim a paycheck. It when artists that actually have some talent push this stuff on the public that I get mad. The somewhat mean-spirited spoof of him on South Park is right on the money in my book...

Not that his 80's stuff (excepting 'No Jacket Required', which is a classic 80's album) was particularly earth shattering mind you, but they were at least creative. I'd listen to "Sussudio" a hundred times before I'd want to listen to "Dance Into the Light" (and that is saying a LOT).

The soundtrack stuff and most of the "songs" he recorded were steaming piles, can't imagine any singer or songwriter being proud of them. :P

Written By: tv on 07/06/07 at 6:09 pm

Yeah Phil Collins did have his share of hits in the 90's: with his band Genesis he had hits in 1992 like "Never A Time", "Jesus She Knows Me"(Everybody forgets about that song too), I Can;t Dance(that was a good song), and as other posters have said his solo works"Dance Into The Light" True Colors, and, "You'll Be In My Heart, and "Everyday."

I was stunned "Dance Into The Light" came out in 1996  because honestly I thought it came out in the 80's. Its like that song was a hit when I was a sophmore in High School?

Phil did do ok in the 90's come to think of it but I do agree with one poster on this thread that he's is more well known 80's work than his 90's work. I remember in 1998 when I started listening to 80's music and every Phil Collins song I could remember from when I was a little kid in the 80's.

Written By: whistledog on 07/06/07 at 6:48 pm

Here's a tally of Phil's solo hits in the 90s ...

1990 - I Wish it Would Rain Down
1990 - Do You Remember?
1990 - Something Happened on the Way to Heaven
1991 - Hang in Long Enough
1991 - Do You Remember <Live>
1991 - Who Said I Would <Live>
1993 - Hero <w/ David Crosby>
1993 - Both Sides of the Story
1994 - Everyday
1994 - We Wait and We Wonder
1994 - Can't Turn Back the Years
1996 - Somewhere
1996 - Dance Into the Light
1997 - It's in Your Eyes
1997 - Wear My Hat
1999 - True Colours
1999 - You'll Be in My Heart

CAN - 15 Hits (12 Top 40)
UK - 14 Hits (10 Top 40)
US - 11 Hits (7 Top 40)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/06/07 at 7:17 pm

Yeah Phil Collins did have his share of hits in the 90's: with his band Genesis he had hits in 1992 like "Never A Time", "Jesus She Knows Me"(Everybody forgets about that song too), I Can;t Dance(that was a good song), and as other posters have said his solo works"Dance Into The Light" True Colors, and, "You'll Be In My Heart, and "Everyday."

I was stunned "Dance Into The Light" came out in 1996  because honestly I thought it came out in the 80's. Its like that song was a hit when I was a sophmore in High School?

Phil did do ok in the 90's come to think of it but I do agree with one poster on this thread that he's is more well known 80's work than his 90's work. I remember in 1998 when I started listening to 80's music and every Phil Collins song I could remember from when I was a little kid in the 80's.

Yeah, "Jesus He Knows Me" and "Never a Time" were good songs. I forgot all about the David Crosby duet, "Hero", but I liked it when it came out, too. It reminds me of "Everyday", probably the tail end of his '80esque sound.

I think people sometimes have misconceptions that the '90s were all grunge, gangsta rap and electronica. Of course he wouldn't have fit into that, but he has some common ground with the more AC-dominated '90s pop. Especially since that stuff changes slower.

Written By: robby76 on 07/12/07 at 10:40 am

I love Jesus He Knows Me... I never forgot that one!  :)

Also big 90s hits with the Genesis were Hold On My Heart and No Son Of Mine! 2 great songs!

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 4:48 am

For me the difference was that he was aging along with other artist his age (like Sting) into the adult contemporary\ light genre. He did a couple of more youthful songs in the 90's like "I can't dance" but by then was considered Soft Rock.

Yeah, alot of older artists survived in the '90s by becoming more AC or ballad-dominated. I wonder if "Another Day in Paradise" was the changing point? Even at the time it came out around late 1989, I kinda recalled thinking it was a different sound for him. It was a sadder, more serious song, too.

I get the impression from what I've seen secondhand, that he was seen as more of a rocker (even if in more of a pop sense) in the early-mid '80s. He kinda fit the Miami Vice era.

Written By: tv on 07/18/07 at 10:11 am

Yeah, alot of older artists survived in the '90s by becoming more AC or ballad-dominated. I wonder if "Another Day in Paradise" was the changing point? Even at the time it came out around late 1989, I kinda recalled thinking it was a different sound for him. It was a sadder, more serious song, too.

I get the impression from what I've seen secondhand, that he was seen as more of a rocker (even if in more of a pop sense) in the early-mid '80s. He kinda fit the Miami Vice era.
Phil was probably in between being a rocker and a pop artist I mean he did have some darker, harder edged, or serious songs with Genisis and also with his solo stuff despite the pop label he was always given.

"Tonight, Tonight, Tonight" was really a dark song.
"Jesus He Knows Me" was a pretty hard edged song.
"Land Of Confusion" was about the state of the state of the world at the time or the US I think.
"Don;t Lose My Number" was a probably in between being a rock or pop song.
"In The Air Tonight" is probably one of the darkest sounding songs in music history.

Marty, was "Another Day In Paradise" a hit in 1989 I thought it was a hit in 1987 because " Another Day In Paradise" was off his solo album called "No Jacket Required" and I think "Don;t Lose My Number" may have been off of "No Jacket Required" too. I;m pretty positive he put a solo album out in 1989 called "But Seriously..." that netted the hit singles "Two Hearts", "Something On The Way To Heaven"(a 1990 hit) and another hit single as well.

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/22/07 at 7:28 pm

Marty, was "Another Day In Paradise" a hit in 1989 I thought it was a hit in 1987 because " Another Day In Paradise" was off his solo album called "No Jacket Required" and I think "Don't Lose My Number" may have been off of "No Jacket Required" too. I'm pretty positive he put a solo album out in 1989 called "But Seriously..." that netted the hit singles "Two Hearts", "Something On The Way To Heaven"(a 1990 hit) and another hit single as well.

Let me help you out there, tv. "No Jacket Required" was Phil's best-selling album. released in 1985, it netted the two #1 hits "Sussudio" and "One More Night", as well as two Top 10s: "Don't Lose My Number" and "Take Me Home". After that, he recorded the duet "Separate Lives" for a movie soundtrack(Don't recall the film title) which also hit #1. Then by 1987 he was back with Genesis for the "Invisible Touch" album.

Once on his own again, he starred in the film Buster(which did better in Europe than in the States), and when they had no one else to sing the love theme, Phil volunteered, and collaborated with Motown composer Lamont Dozier to write another soundtrack song. These respectively became the two #1 hits, "A Groovy Kind Of Love" and "Two Hearts". Finally, in the fall of 1989 Phil released his most socially conscious album, entitled "...But Seriously", and the first single, "Another Day In Paradise" became Billboard Chart's last #1 hit of the 1980's. However the album went on to sell more copies than any other rock album in 1990, netting three more #1 hits: "I Wish It Would Rain Down", "Do You Remember?", and "On The Way To Heaven". The following year he returned to Genesis to record their last studio album on which he'd sing, "We Can't Dance".

The music scene had been pretty much become a grunge-nuked wasteland by the fall of 1993, but "Both Sides" was still well-received, with at least three of its five singles getting major airplay. 1996's "Dance Into The Light" was a bigger hit on dance & AC charts than mainstream rock, now starting to be dominated by teen-pop and neo-punk, but was still moderately successful, and I think it was Phil's best effort since "NJR", I recommend fans of 80's-era Phil give it a listen.

His cover of "True Colors"(off his greatest hits CD) reached the Top 5 in late 1998(with help from producer/backup singer Babyface), keeping Phil's die-hard fans interested until Disney's Tarzan & its soundtrack came out in the summer of 1999, with the #1 song "You'll Be In My Heart", which won Phil an Oscar and a Grammy for Soundtrack of the Year. And 2002's "Testify" is the most 80's sounding album Phil's done since NJR, which his fans embraced with the singles "Can't Stop Loving You" and "Come With Me", among others.

OK, that's probably more information than you needed, but I had to cover all of the 90's, and I hope it answers any more questions you might have!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/07 at 12:18 am

Of course I'd never argue that Phil is great, but I have to politely disagree about music being a "wasteland" by 1993. I think the '90s were really good for music along with the '80s.

One pet peeve of mine is that people quite often stereotype the decade as being about nothing but grunge and gangsta rap. In reality, those were just a couple of many styles you could've been listening to at the time. There was alot of other stuff around, too. Ballads and AC songs like "Colors of the Wind", or dance-pop like that period's Mariah Carey co-existed with it. The milder alternative pop, such as Gin Blossoms or Collective Soul were pleasant to listen to, as well. There were also artists like Rod Stewart and Aerosmith who were like the "rock elders" still making hits.

Lots of older stuff was still pervasive as late as 1998 or even up to 2001/'02.

Written By: midnite on 04/29/08 at 10:39 pm

Phil Colins Discography
80's = Drug addiction
90's = Disney

lol.  I love his 80's stuff though.

Check for new replies or respond here...