inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you agree Paula Abdul's popularity never really faded?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/03/07 at 3:04 am

She was a superstar in 1989-1992, and her popularity was big enough to sustain through the mid '90s, even though the Head Over Heels album wasn't as successful. Of course, she's gotten a great second career on American Idol since 2002, but I was thinking about how she was perceived during the in-between time.

There was this VH1 show I saw recently where somebody mentioned how great it was for her to get the shot at being the "nice" A.I. judge. He said to the effect of, if it hadn't been for the show repopularizing her career, she could've been looked at as another artist from back in the day that people would've kinda forgotten about and wondered what happened to.

I can see what the guy meant, but I somewhat disagree (and not just because I'm a fan). ;) When I think about that middle period, it seems like whenever anyone mentioned her it was positive. Even if the songs were dated, people still liked them. She had enough name recognition for people to not say stuff like "who's that?" For instance, I recall talking with a few people at high school around 1998, and my one friend went on to say about how "Straight Up" was still one of her favorite songs. Then I'd talked about how I pretty much knew her from the old-school VH1 of the early '90s and all.

Subject: Re: Do you agree Paula Abdul's popularity never really faded?

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/03/07 at 3:45 am

I honestly had no idea who she was until she came on Amercian Idol. Of course I was too young to remember when she was famous though (born in 1990).

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/03/07 at 5:16 am

I honestly had no idea who she was until she came on Amercian Idol. Of course I was too young to remember when she was famous though (born in 1990).

Didn't you once say you were an '88er (or am I confusing you with somebody else)? My good memories start at about 6 and a half, although I know little bits of when I was 3-5.

I agree, though, she's definitely more of a household name again now. It probably depends what you were paying attention to at the time for how you'll perceive something. See, I always kinda listened to '80s or early '90s-oriented radio stations and watched things from that era on MTV and VH1. So I guess from my perspective, those artists wouldn't have faded away that much.

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/03/07 at 7:36 am

Didn't you once say you were an '88er (or am I confusing you with somebody else)? My good memories start at about 6 and a half, although I know little bits of when I was 3-5.

Don't think I said that.  ???

Written By: Mushroom on 07/03/07 at 10:26 am

I don't think it faded, as much as she was simply caught in a period of rapidly changing music trends.

Paula hit her largest popularity when she had her singing career in around 1990.  However, she was much more well known before then as a choreographer.  Among her movie credits are Can't Buy Me Love, The Running Man, Action Jackson, and Big (she was the choreographer of the famous "Piano" scene).  She was also a choreographer for other artists ranging from Janet and Michael Jackson to ZZ Top.

When she enter the pop charts, music was in a state of flux.  New Wave was on the way out, and Hip-Hop and Grunge were on the way in.  And her music style was a blend of Hip-Hop, New Wave, and Dance.  And during the same period, we had other artists like Amy Grant, Billy Ray Cyrus, and even Dolly Parton and Milli Vanilli hit the pop charts.  Like the period from 1979-1981, music was largely in flux, leaving behind the "old sound", and trying to find the "new sound".

And at the same time her 3rd album was failing to make the charts, she was plagued with injuries.  This prevented her from doing her well known dance moves, and prevented her from doing concerts.  By the mid 1990's, she had returned to choreography, doing such movies as The Doors, Jerry Maguire, and American Beauty.

Long before she was known as a singer, Paula was a dancer.  She was head cheerleader in high school, and got a job right afterwards as a cheerleader and choreographer for the LA Lakers (she was the most prominant "Laker Girl").

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/03/07 at 1:34 pm

I still have my old "Forever Your Girl" cassette!  :D

As for her popularity, I really don't know..... :-\\ Paula has always been around in some capacity since the early 80's, from the Lakers to American Idol, so I'd say she at least maintained a decent level of popularity, and yes I agree she was at her most popular around 1989-1990.

Has anyone seen her new reality show "Hey, Paula!" on Bravo yet?

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/03/07 at 4:23 pm

Paula Abdul really wasn't as popular as she was in the late '80s if you compare her popularity in the late '90s. Fortunately, American Idol brought her a whole new fan base for kids born after she was famous. Otherwise, if she hadn't been on A.I., little kids today would have no idea who she was until probably into their teens.

I was a big fan of her stuff, but of course I was between 6-9 years old at the time when she was popular, so I still like her stuff now, but not as much as I did then. Yet, when I hear "Cold Hearted" or "Opposites Attract" or "Rush, Rush" I get a little sentimental, lol 

Written By: KKay on 07/03/07 at 7:16 pm

she wasn't that poular around here...she had hits, but that's all.  then i forgot all about ther until "idol".

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/03/07 at 7:19 pm

Paula Abdul really wasn't as popular as she was in the late '80s if you compare her popularity in the late '90s. Fortunately, American Idol brought her a whole new fan base for kids born after she was famous. Otherwise, if she hadn't been on A.I., little kids today would have no idea who she was until probably into their teens.

I was a big fan of her stuff, but of course I was between 6-9 years old at the time when she was popular, so I still like her stuff now, but not as much as I did then. Yet, when I hear "Cold Hearted" or "Opposites Attract" or "Rush, Rush" I get a little sentimental, lol 

Cool, I still love all of those to this day. 8) Even though I knew of the Forever Your Girl singles, it was when Spellbound came out, that I became more of a fan. "Rush Rush" is a great, unique song along with its Rebel Without a Cause-inspired video with Keanu, lol (VH1 used to play it all the time back then). ;)

While I think most people with a passing knowledge of 1989 or early '90s pop culture would've still known about her (and possibly could've been new fans), she likely wouldn't have the same popularity now if it weren't for A.I. Although from what I recall, she was always somewhat in the spotlight. She did some acting roles in TV shows during that midperiod, so it was just a "lower profile" celebrity status.

The progression to Idol is actually pretty logical, unlike some celebs who do something entirely different later on. Like, if someone told her at the peak of her music career, "Hey, in 15 years you'll be a judge on this TV show with aspiring new singers that the audience votes for", it wouldn't have sounded too far-fetched, lol. Both have to do with singing and performing. Plus, I'm sure she knows how tough it can be, which is probably why she tends to be nice/encouraging to the contestants. :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/03/07 at 8:11 pm

I was also born in 1990, though I always had at least a vague idea who Paula Abdul was pretty far back in my memory, because songs like "Rush Rush" survived into my elementary school years. I think her popularity changed, not faded, because of her effervescent personality.

An interesting article I once read said that, basically, Paula Abdul, Janet Jackson, etc. were the first wave of "post-Madonna" female music superstars in the slew that followed her after 1984. Paula Abdul particularly, because of the original focus on choreography and dance and the element of being a "personality." Apparently it even peeved Madonna quite a bit when Janet Jackson (changing the topic) began putting so much emphasis on videos and concept albums with a vaguely controversial theme. Paula Abdul is underappreciated for her music nowadays, which is very well-produced airy fun...and I think she defines the period around 1989 better than any other musical artist. And she never took herself too seriously.

I agree with Mushroom's assessment of the key to her popularity. She and other artists like her softened up the mainstream market for new styles of hip-hop and dance music, though once those actually came out in full strength, she was perceived as being too soft (I suppose by c. 1994.) 

Written By: Brian06 on 07/03/07 at 8:25 pm

I only vaguely at best heard of her before American Idol, I'm pretty sure I heard Rush Rush one place or another when I was a little kid but I wasn't really familiar with her till American Idol. She certainly isn't the greatest singer (of course a lot of artists I like aren't), but I do like a few of her songs for the fun and catchiness of them. Her best is Rush Rush.

Written By: whistledog on 07/03/07 at 8:38 pm

In the late 90s, after her run of hits went dry, she became "that singer who was married to Emilio Estevez"

"Oh yeah, I remember her.  Whatever happened to her?"

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/04/07 at 3:52 am

Just looked for some vids of her on youtube. I love "Straight Up" and "Rush Rush".  :D

Written By: WembleyBooberGobo on 07/04/07 at 10:36 am

I think Paula Abdul's popularity did fade and currently she's more of a joke than anything. I do remember once upon a time though where she did have the best videos and watching her perfrom on shows was exciting.

Written By: whistledog on 07/05/07 at 12:15 am

The thing with Paula is that lately the media has made her out to be a drunk.  And well, if you believe what you read in those tabloid papers, then you'd better watch out because that three headed woman who gave birth to Elvis Presley's child last year is gonna get you ;D

Written By: star500 on 07/05/07 at 8:53 am

The only complaint I have with Paula Abdul is all her stuff sounds the same. Nothing is unique, except for the song Rush, Rush...that's the only song that actually sounds different from all her other songs. It's no wonder she didn't really become popular.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/05/07 at 8:52 pm

The only complaint I have with Paula Abdul is all her stuff sounds the same. Nothing is unique, except for the song Rush, Rush...that's the only song that actually sounds different from all her other songs. It's no wonder she didn't really become popular.

Yeah, "Rush Rush" was unique (in a good way). I actually think all her singles sound different, but I guess I can see how they might have a similar sound in comparison. The Spellbound album had more ballads, but also some of the non-singles were a little more urban and '90s in a "house music" kind of way.

I also agree with James that in a musical sense, she was sort of attached to a little era unto itself. Although she kinda helped bring on the '90s (i.e. a song like "Cold Hearted" was a teeny more urban and edgy than the earlier decade's polished pop/dance, like DeBarge), by the time those styles had totally taken off and dropped the '80s influence, she would've been a little too tied to the past by 1993 or '94.

The thing with Paula is that lately the media has made her out to be a drunk.  And well, if you believe what you read in those tabloid papers, then you'd better watch out because that three headed woman who gave birth to Elvis Presley's child last year is gonna get you ;D

;D

On a serious note, though, I agree. Of course tabloids usually blow things out of proportion (if not entirely make stuff up) just for a story, but they've especially given her a hard time lately. I've read that she takes medications to alleviate back pain from a car accident years ago, which sort of dispels those rumors. She doesn't strike me as the type who would drink. From what I've observed, she seems like a really encouraging, nice person as well.

Written By: snozberries on 07/08/07 at 6:01 pm

I've been watching Hey Paula on Bravo...don't ask me why  :-[ ... she is pretty pissed about that drug/alcohol accusations but she is so flighty and loopy its hard not to believe them... the episode where she is giving interviews in the lobby of the Wynn (?)  she looks like a maniac.  I saw her live on Ellen once. I was in the audience. I thought she was high then... this was around season 3 or 4 of idol. Wilmer Valderama was on too he and Ellen rode unicycles

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/09/07 at 1:12 am

I've been watching Hey Paula on Bravo...don't ask me why  :-[ ... she is pretty pissed about that drug/alcohol accusations but she is so flighty and loopy its hard not to believe them... the episode where she is giving interviews in the lobby of the Wynn (?)  she looks like a maniac.  I saw her live on Ellen once. I was in the audience. I thought she was high then... this was around season 3 or 4 of idol. Wilmer Valderama was on too he and Ellen rode unicycles

While I haven't seen that episode and can't directly comment, from what I know, I'm going to have to disagree with all due respect. I have read that she takes medications for pain she suffered in a car accident awhile ago. Any kind of medication can make someone "loopy", not to mention the already tough pressure of having almost everything you do in the public eye.

Also, you can't really take one incident and apply it to the way someone is all the time. We all have different moods and personalities, depending on whatever situation we might be in at the moment. From personal experience, I know I don't always act the same and I've been misperceived by people who only go on their initial impression (we all probably have at some point). For example, I tend to be more relaxed and confident around people if I'm comfortable or if I know them well enough.

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/07 at 10:48 am

While I haven't seen that episode and can't directly comment, from what I know, I'm going to have to disagree with all due respect. I have read that she takes medications for pain she suffered in a car accident awhile ago. Any kind of medication can make someone "loopy", not to mention the already tough pressure of having almost everything you do in the public eye.

Also, you can't really take one incident and apply it to the way someone is all the time. We all have different moods and personalities, depending on whatever situation we might be in at the moment. From personal experience, I know I don't always act the same and I've been misperceived by people who only go on their initial impression (we all probably have at some point). For example, I tend to be more relaxed and confident around people if I'm comfortable or if I know them well enough.

Seriously Marty you have to watch the show... I have watched the first three episodes so far and all I can say is... to quote some movie who's line I remember but title I cannot... "The girl ain't right". Paula's entertaining but not always for the right reasons.  This is her own "reality" show and she still comes off like a spazz. The cameras are there, someone is controling the editing. Even her publicist says a few times that Paula's doesn't look good considering recent press.

I have seen her live twice once at the Ellen show  and once at the directors guild for an event honoring American Idol and on both occasions its like, can't you just finish articulating one thought before going on to the next... oh yeah that's right she can't well not often anyway.  Sort of like on idol when she tries to say something and the idea gets all jumbled up in the words.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/11/07 at 5:54 am

Seriously Marty you have to watch the show... I have watched the first three episodes so far and all I can say is... to quote some movie who's line I remember but title I cannot... "The girl ain't right". Paula's entertaining but not always for the right reasons.  This is her own "reality" show and she still comes off like a spazz. The cameras are there, someone is controling the editing. Even her publicist says a few times that Paula's doesn't look good considering recent press.

I have seen her live twice once at the Ellen show  and once at the directors guild for an event honoring American Idol and on both occasions its like, can't you just finish articulating one thought before going on to the next... oh yeah that's right she can't well not often anyway.  Sort of like on idol when she tries to say something and the idea gets all jumbled up in the words.

Coincidentally, I noticed someone posted all three episides on YouTube, so I've actually seen them now. Apologize if I jumped the gun a little bit before. :)

With anything, I've noticed that criticism tends to come from people reacting to their first impression or the easiest answer at the time and thinking Oh, that must be it. They're probably not intending to be mean, but you've gotta look at the whole story.

I've kinda heard things about her recently that were profiled on the show. As objective to both sides as I tried to be, I didn't notice it myself. For instance, people were saying how awfully she treated her assistants for not packing sweatpants on her airline flight. I'd disagree - maybe mildly annoyed at the most, but everyone gets like that sometimes. We've all got our preferences and stuff we want a certain way, lol. When you combine it with having an exhausting schedule and not that much sleep, it's understandable.

From everything I could see here (as well as what I've observed or knew before), she seems like she's usually positive and really nice to everyone, just under pressure alot of the time.

The impression I got from her publicist was that he's basically a good guy who's on her side. Even though there was one time she got a little ticked off at him somewhat understandably, for not immediately dispelling the "drunk" rumors when they came up, I think what he's more worried about isn't so much how she herself might act, but how those actions could be perceived by people who weren't there and don't know the whole story - i.e. the media.

Even if some shows might exaggerate things to make it entertaining, everything seemed pretty real to me here (although I'm sure they edited out the less notable stuff, of course). Like the misunderstanding in the news studio, when a bunch of cities were talking to her at once, and she got a couple of their answers mixed up...I know things like that can happen, technology isn't perfect, lol.

I can't personally speak for everything else, but I've sorta experienced speech awkwardness myself sometimes. Like if a question comes up that you weren't expecting, and you can't think of the best thing to say at the moment, it's normal to get a little confused or stumble on your words. Especially if you're trying to make the best impression possible or if you only have a certain amount of time. Also, sometimes your mind works quicker than you can say the words, lol. In fact, I'd say that's like a sign of perfection, because you care about what you're about to say. So you're not going to rush it or just say the first random thing that comes into your head. ;)

Written By: tv on 07/11/07 at 10:41 am

I wish people would Paula would give a break, she's gone through alot in her life I think. I haven't seen the way she has been acting of late but she's seems like a nice person. I rooted for her in the past. I have been through some stuff in my own life so I understnd where Paula is coming from. Maybe Paula is going through something like right now or as "Marty" said before she is taking pills I mean some pills have major sideaffects.

As for Paula's popularity I was born in 1979 and I do remember hearing Paula's name in my school(I guess some of my classmates liked her music) and do remember hearing "Rush Rush" nack in the day. I do listen to some of her music myself even though I was a grunge/alternative fan way back in the day I don;t feel guilty listening to some of her music. Anyways, Her popularity faded from I would say 1993-2001 maybe? (whenever she started on American Idol.) I mean she did have some hits in early 1992 but her comeback in 1995 wasn't successful.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/11/07 at 5:39 pm

I wish people would Paula would give a break, she's gone through alot in her life I think. I haven't seen the way she has been acting of late but she's seems like a nice person. I rooted for her in the past. I have been through some stuff in my own life so I understnd where Paula is coming from. Maybe Paula is going through something like right now or as "Marty" said before she is taking pills I mean some pills have major sideaffects.

As for Paula's popularity I was born in 1979 and I do remember hearing Paula's name in my school(I guess some of my classmates liked her music) and do remember hearing "Rush Rush" nack in the day. I do listen to some of her music myself even though I was a grunge/alternative fan way back in the day I don;t feel guilty listening to some of her music. Anyways, Her popularity faded from I would say 1993-2001 maybe? (whenever she started on American Idol.) I mean she did have some hits in early 1992 but her comeback in 1995 wasn't successful.

Well said. 8) You can't judge someone on their surface behavior without knowing what they're going through. There's always a better to chance to understand where people are coming from if you see the full story (which the Hey Paula episodes seemed to do).

While I've known a bit about her since VH1 did a couple of documentaries/interviews in the early '90s, I didn't find out about some of the harder stuff and struggles she went through until later. I commend her even more for the fact that she pulled through and came out on the other side. Lots of people probably couldn't do that.

P.S. Yeah I agree 1993 to 2001 was her lower profile time, and more specifally from 1996 until the American Idol premiere.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/11/07 at 7:53 pm

Cool, I still love all of those to this day. 8) Even though I knew of the Forever Your Girl singles, it was when Spellbound came out, that I became more of a fan. "Rush Rush" is a great, unique song along with its Rebel Without a Cause-inspired video with Keanu, lol (VH1 used to play it all the time back then). ;)

While I think most people with a passing knowledge of 1989 or early '90s pop culture would've still known about her (and possibly could've been new fans), she likely wouldn't have the same popularity now if it weren't for A.I. Although from what I recall, she was always somewhat in the spotlight. She did some acting roles in TV shows during that midperiod, so it was just a "lower profile" celebrity status.

The progression to Idol is actually pretty logical, unlike some celebs who do something entirely different later on. Like, if someone told her at the peak of her music career, "Hey, in 15 years you'll be a judge on this TV show with aspiring new singers that the audience votes for", it wouldn't have sounded too far-fetched, lol. Both have to do with singing and performing. Plus, I'm sure she knows how tough it can be, which is probably why she tends to be nice/encouraging to the contestants. :)

Yes, I was a fan from early on, but what I found with her Spellbound album was more serious music. It's kinda funny, my mom has a home movie of my friend and I dancing to her Rush, Rush song from about 16 years ago! I was 9 years old, but I was trying so hard to act like this woman who's been scorned, lol. I remember the video to Rush, Rush somewhat vaguely, but with the mention of Keanu, it sorta put some images in my mind, lol.  ;D

I think newer fans today probably had not heard of her until Idol came on. Maybe a few who had parents who listened to her music around the time they were young, but I still feel that Idol gave her a new fanbase for a new generation.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/07 at 9:20 pm

she is pretty pissed about that drug/alcohol accusations but she is so flighty and loopy its hard not to believe them...

Yea, that is true.  But you also have to remember, before she was "Forever Your Girl", Paula was a true "Valley Girl".  I still remember her from High School with the big puffed out hair, pastel colours, and the "Like, whatever!" way of talking.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/07 at 9:48 pm

Yea, that is true.  But you also have to remember, before she was "Forever Your Girl", Paula was a true "Valley Girl".  I still remember her from High School with the big puffed out hair, pastel colours, and the "Like, whatever!" way of talking.

Wow, did you actually know her personally back then? That's cool.

Basically I think if you're around a style of talking or certain words, you'll just kind of residually pick it up without even trying to. That's just a natural thing and doesn't imply anything about a person themself. For instance, I've heard the late '90sesque hip hop slang for so long now that I'll catch myself using them sometimes without intending to (i.e. "tight"). Even though that's generally very not me, it's just in my subconcious since I've heard it so much now.

Paula is from the San Fernando Valley, so likewise I'm sure she knew lots of Valley types in the early '80s too, lol.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/07 at 10:48 pm

Wow, did you actually know her personally back then? That's cool.

Paula is from the San Fernando Valley, so likewise I'm sure she knew lots of Valley types in the early '80s too, lol.

Oh wow, you have no idea how many "Vals" I knew.  And yes, I kinda knew her.  She was Senior Class President, Head Cheerleader, and Valadictorian.  But she was just "Paula" to those of us that knew her.  She and the other cheerleaders often hung out with the ROTC group, and know that she was often there amongst us.

Ironically, I did not realize that she was the same Paula I went to school with until the mid 1990's.  By the time she started her music career, she had really changed her appearance.  Compare these two videos to see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRoa8C8VbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbknGnZXHUk

In case you did not recognize her, Paula was the one singing, wearing the frilly striped dress.  That was closer to the Paula that I remember.  By the time she started her real singing career, she really had changed her appearance.

And Van Nuys High School has long been a haven for Hollywood, both as an area to live in as well as a school to film in.  Robert Redford, Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, and Julie Borwn are all alumni, and it was both Ridgemont High and "Rock & Roll High School".  Both Christine and Fast Times were filmed there when I was a student, and when they wanted ROTC cadets for a Jerry Lewis movie, they hired us to play the part (in a horrible movie called "Slapstick Of Another Kind").

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/07 at 11:48 pm

Oh wow, you have no idea how many "Vals" I knew.  And yes, I kinda knew her.  She was Senior Class President, Head Cheerleader, and Valadictorian.  But she was just "Paula" to those of us that knew her.  She and the other cheerleaders often hung out with the ROTC group, and know that she was often there amongst us.

Ironically, I did not realize that she was the same Paula I went to school with until the mid 1990's.  By the time she started her music career, she had really changed her appearance.  Compare these two videos to see what I mean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XRoa8C8VbA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbknGnZXHUk

In case you did not recognize her, Paula was the one singing, wearing the frilly striped dress.  That was closer to the Paula that I remember.  By the time she started her real singing career, she really had changed her appearance.

And Van Nuys High School has long been a haven for Hollywood, both as an area to live in as well as a school to film in.  Robert Redford, Natalie Wood, Marilyn Monroe, and Julie Borwn are all alumni, and it was both Ridgemont High and "Rock & Roll High School".  Both Christine and Fast Times were filmed there when I was a student, and when they wanted ROTC cadets for a Jerry Lewis movie, they hired us to play the part (in a horrible movie called "Slapstick Of Another Kind").

So you were more of a casual acquaintance? Still, that must've been amazing when you discovered a semi-friend had become famous. One cool thing about these things is that you never know where life is going to take you. She started out as a cheerleader, choreographing routines, which led to doing that for music videos, which led to her own music.

I can tell it's her, she hadn't aged much by c. 1989 (there's only about 10-12 years in between this and her music career). Also, people's voices seem to pretty much stay the same after adolescence starts. The difference is noticeable with the fashions and singing style. That movie is quite Seventies, although I can see some presages to the Valley Girl era as well.

I didn't realize your high school was the basis for Fast Times. It would seem amazing to someone who didn't live in that environment to be surrounded by celebrities and being in close proximity to movies. But for someone who's from there (such as yourself) I bet it was less of a big deal.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/07 at 10:28 am

Coincidentally, I noticed someone posted all three episides on YouTube, so I've actually seen them now. Apologize if I jumped the gun a little bit before. :)

With anything, I've noticed that criticism tends to come from people reacting to their first impression or the easiest answer at the time and thinking Oh, that must be it. They're probably not intending to be mean, but you've gotta look at the whole story.

I've kinda heard things about her recently that were profiled on the show. As objective to both sides as I tried to be, I didn't notice it myself. For instance, people were saying how awfully she treated her assistants for not packing sweatpants on her airline flight. I'd disagree - maybe mildly annoyed at the most, but everyone gets like that sometimes. We've all got our preferences and stuff we want a certain way, lol. When you combine it with having an exhausting schedule and not that much sleep, it's understandable.

From everything I could see here (as well as what I've observed or knew before), she seems like she's usually positive and really nice to everyone, just under pressure alot of the time.

The impression I got from her publicist was that he's basically a good guy who's on her side. Even though there was one time she got a little ticked off at him somewhat understandably, for not immediately dispelling the "drunk" rumors when they came up, I think what he's more worried about isn't so much how she herself might act, but how those actions could be perceived by people who weren't there and don't know the whole story - i.e. the media.

Even if some shows might exaggerate things to make it entertaining, everything seemed pretty real to me here (although I'm sure they edited out the less notable stuff, of course). Like the misunderstanding in the news studio, when a bunch of cities were talking to her at once, and she got a couple of their answers mixed up...I know things like that can happen, technology isn't perfect, lol.

I can't personally speak for everything else, but I've sorta experienced speech awkwardness myself sometimes. Like if a question comes up that you weren't expecting, and you can't think of the best thing to say at the moment, it's normal to get a little confused or stumble on your words. Especially if you're trying to make the best impression possible or if you only have a certain amount of time. Also, sometimes your mind works quicker than you can say the words, lol. In fact, I'd say that's like a sign of perfection, because you care about what you're about to say. So you're not going to rush it or just say the first random thing that comes into your head. ;)

Well you're starting to come around. I was a fan of Paula's too but I knew nothing about her because all my exsposure was thru vids & tv movies. I don't do celeb gossip and rag mags.  But watching this show, especially since she has creative control over it, I am astounded she lets herself be portrayed in this way. she is loopy most of the time, and I'm sorry but she comes across as a whinny brat- from the selling out of her QVC jewlery to being upset because she lost the numbers in her cell phone and her assistant "forgot" to tell her to reply to an email from the chicken soup for the soul guy.  (BTW, Joel McHale riffs on this beautifully on The Soup this week.

Anyway, below is a clip from this Weeks Hey Paula. Its part 2 of Episode 4. And features the kitchen breakdown and her appearance on QVC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81sVmjIbp5g

BTW, I do like that Paula makes time for her fans, as someone who has seen a lot of celebs in person, you appreciate the ones who take time out for you more than the ones who think they are too good to stay at a fan event and sign an autograph.

But what's up with her NEVER having cash? I mean the assistant has to tip the valet; she "dances" for a dollar at an airport vending machine then she whines about having to dip into her own pocket to give the idol kids jewelry she promised them...

Can we talk about the privelidge of celebrity and why the ones who can afford the stuff are also the ones always expecting it for free?  >:(

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/07 at 1:00 pm

So you were more of a casual acquaintance? Still, that must've been amazing when you discovered a semi-friend had become famous. One cool thing about these things is that you never know where life is going to take you. She started out as a cheerleader, choreographing routines, which led to doing that for music videos, which led to her own music.

I didn't realize your high school was the basis for Fast Times. It would seem amazing to someone who didn't live in that environment to be surrounded by celebrities and being in close proximity to movies. But for someone who's from there (such as yourself) I bet it was less of a big deal.

Well, when you grow up with people like that, you really become blase` about it.  At the same time, I also hung around the same arcade that Todd Bridges did.  He was already famous, and I always considered him to be somewhat of a jerk.  He always had this group (they would call it a 'posse' now) around him that would like hang on everything he said, and do anything he asked.  My friends and I called them "Willis and his sycophants".  And ironically, his "posse" were all fairly rich white kids.

As far as her not carrying cash, that is increasingly common nowadays.  At least 2-3 times a week, we will have somebody want to buy a $5 item, and use either a check or credit card.  I have even seen people in stores use a credit card to buy a pack of gum.  This is especially common in bigger cities, where having cash makes you a larger target for criminals.  If it is known you do not carry cash, it makes you much less likely to be a target (or if you are robbed, they will not get away with anything that can't be replaced).

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/07 at 5:31 pm

Well, when you grow up with people like that, you really become blase` about it.  At the same time, I also hung around the same arcade that Todd Bridges did.  He was already famous, and I always considered him to be somewhat of a jerk.  He always had this group (they would call it a 'posse' now) around him that would like hang on everything he said, and do anything he asked.  My friends and I called them "Willis and his sycophants".  And ironically, his "posse" were all fairly rich white kids.

As far as her not carrying cash, that is increasingly common nowadays.  At least 2-3 times a week, we will have somebody want to buy a $5 item, and use either a check or credit card.  I have even seen people in stores use a credit card to buy a pack of gum.  This is especially common in bigger cities, where having cash makes you a larger target for criminals.  If it is known you do not carry cash, it makes you much less likely to be a target (or if you are robbed, they will not get away with anything that can't be replaced).

Considering the Entourage Celebs usually travel in.. there is always a publisist, manager and assistant I'm not too concerned about them getting mugged. Mostly my comment was specifically for Celebs. I rarely carry cash too. but it seems celebs always...well always is over exaggerating...want their assistants to pay for them I'm thinking dip into your 100K- to millions and pay 'your damn self'

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/14/07 at 5:50 pm

Yeah, I don't usually have more than $20-30 on me unless I know I'm going to buy something ahead of time, and sometimes not even that much. Even if the actual possibility of being robbed is pretty slim, it just feels safer not to.

Ah, it's too bad you didn't get the best impression from Todd Bridges at the time. Maybe he's different now?

Snozberries - I do understand what you're saying, but I guess we'll have to agree to halfway disagree. :) The impression I got is that she's sometimes just a little stressed out from having such a tight schedule. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere, like to class or work, you might get annoyed at things that otherwise would be no big deal to you. Like red lights or slow drivers.

I bet lots of people (some other celebs included) having all that much to do at once would say, "To heck with this", but she seems really dedicated to it, which is why she's under the pressure she is. Her assistants seemed like good people who did their best. Since there's alot for them to do, they probably just made some simple mistakes or there was a miscommunication (i.e. the extra jewelery not being set aside). So while it might've not been anyone's intentional "fault", I can see why she'd be upset at the situations.

Even though it's a reality show, I'm sure at least a few little things are thrown in halfway for entertainment, like dancing for a dollar, lol.

Written By: snozberries on 07/14/07 at 7:42 pm

Snozberries - I do understand what you're saying, but I guess we'll have to agree to halfway disagree. :) The impression I got is that she's sometimes just a little stressed out from having such a tight schedule. If you're in a hurry to get somewhere, like to class or work, you might get annoyed at things that otherwise would be no big deal to you. Like red lights or slow drivers.

I bet lots of people (some other celebs included) having all that much to do at once would say, "To heck with this", but she seems really dedicated to it, which is why she's under the pressure she is. Her assistants seemed like good people who did their best. Since there's alot for them to do, they probably just made some simple mistakes or there was a miscommunication (i.e. the extra jewelery not being set aside). So while it might've not been anyone's intentional "fault", I can see why she'd be upset at the situations.

Even though it's a reality show, I'm sure at least a few little things are thrown in halfway for entertainment, like dancing for a dollar, lol.

Yeah I can accept meeting halfway for now but I'm gonna try and pull you closer to my side...reserving further comments until next's ep...Snoz sez Peace out  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/cry(1).gif  <- my smiley of Paula in the kitchen with her assistant  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/15/07 at 8:45 am

Considering the Entourage Celebs usually travel in.. there is always a publisist, manager and assistant I'm not too concerned about them getting mugged. Mostly my comment was specifically for Celebs. I rarely carry cash too. but it seems celebs always...well always is over exaggerating...want their assistants to pay for them I'm thinking dip into your 100K- to millions and pay 'your damn self'

Actually, paying for routine things is normally part of the job of the entourage.  After all, that is what expense accounts are for.

One of my friends used to work as a "handler" for a rather famous Hollywood name.  Part of his job was to drive them around, and be with them every waking moment.  He also had to keep this person "clean and sober".  He had to be around everybody that this person met, and make sure that none of them were passing along drugs or alcohol.

And he also routinely paid for everything, from gas and lunch to parking fees and movie tickets.  Things like this were just part of the job, and he was fully reimbursed every week for everything he spent.  Of course, this is often why some celebs seem so badly out of touch with reality. 

Written By: snozberries on 07/15/07 at 9:33 am

Actually, paying for routine things is normally part of the job of the entourage.  After all, that is what expense accounts are for.

One of my friends used to work as a "handler" for a rather famous Hollywood name.  Part of his job was to drive them around, and be with them every waking moment.  He also had to keep this person "clean and sober".  He had to be around everybody that this person met, and make sure that none of them were passing along drugs or alcohol.

And he also routinely paid for everything, from gas and lunch to parking fees and movie tickets.  Things like this were just part of the job, and he was fully reimbursed every week for everything he spent.  Of course, this is often why some celebs seem so badly out of touch with reality. 

What a crappy job... really, IMO, it just makes celebs look petty and pathetic.  I had to laugh tho. when Oprah and Gayle took that road trip.  Oprah hadn't pumped gas in 20 yrs and didn't know how. Then when it came time to pay she was shocked at the amount (not cuz of gas prices tho but because the production team also tanked on her pump.  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/15/07 at 2:33 pm

What a crappy job... really, IMO, it just makes celebs look petty and pathetic.  I had to laugh tho. when Oprah and Gayle took that road trip.  Oprah hadn't pumped gas in 20 yrs and didn't know how. Then when it came time to pay she was shocked at the amount (not cuz of gas prices tho but because the production team also tanked on her pump.  ;D

There are celebs, and there are celebs.  A lot of that all depends on how they want to live.

I have done work over the years in the homes of several "Celebs".  One couple I know of does not even do their own shopping.  They have people who do that for them.  Then there is another one who refuses to have any kind of entourage at all, he even does his own cooking and cleaning.

And when you really think about it, how many of us would be much different?  If you were so rich that you could have somebody else take care of all the little hastles in your life (like paying your electric bill for you), would you really want to do it yourself?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/15/07 at 8:23 pm

There are celebs, and there are celebs.  A lot of that all depends on how they want to live.

I have done work over the years in the homes of several "Celebs".  One couple I know of does not even do their own shopping.  They have people who do that for them.  Then there is another one who refuses to have any kind of entourage at all, he even does his own cooking and cleaning.

And when you really think about it, how many of us would be much different?  If you were so rich that you could have somebody else take care of all the little hastles in your life (like paying your electric bill for you), would you really want to do it yourself?

Good point. It's sometimes easy for people who aren't in that situation to shrug it off, criticize them and say, "Well, can't you just do it yourself?" Yet, if we were in the position they were, there's a good chance we would do the same thing. In some respects, it makes life far less stressful. If you already have to constantly focus on your act or other aspects of being famous, it can probably be an extra headache to do mundane daily things which you can hire someone else to do. Lots of non-famous people who are richer, have assistants like butlers and housemaids, so I don't see what the big deal is, lol.

P.S. As far as the jewelery incident is concerned, money probably wasn't the issue (I'm sure she can afford it - she's probably got more than all of us combined!), I think it was the principle of that guy not remembering to set some of it aside.

Written By: snozberries on 07/17/07 at 11:54 am

P.S. As far as the jewelery incident is concerned, money probably wasn't the issue (I'm sure she can afford it - she's probably got more than all of us combined!), I think it was the principle of that guy not remembering to set some of it aside.

If you watch the episode she references reaching into her own pocket several times.
Now I have to pay
Out of my pocket
Its not fair

Seriously... she just looks like a  Whiny Brat...

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 12:11 pm

If you watch the episode she references reaching into her own pocket several times.
Now I have to pay
Out of my pocket
Its not fair

Seriously... she just looks like a  Whiny Brat...

Well, we might never reach a total conclusion on this. :) :D

To thrown in my two cents again, though, it strikes me that those incidents you're referring to arise not from the monetary issue itself. I think she's just semi-frustrated at her assistants for not quite being as on top of things as they could be. If you were under the impression you didn't have to do something, then it turned out you did after all, that would probably annoy any of us. To their credit, they seem like nice people on her side who just might've made simple mistakes (they're probably busy themselves), or didn't plan ahead as well as they could have.

Plus, you do want things to kind of be a certain way, especially when you're basically running on next to no sleep and limited food for days at a time. She seems like she works really hard, and technically doesn't even have to do everything, but wants to. I bet lots of people when faced with those kind of demands and appearances, would just say "Oh, to hell with this" and back out. That she pushes herself regardless ought to say something for dedication.

I'm sure when American Idol isn't taping and she's relaxing at home or having a normal leisurely day in town, going to a Starbucks or whatever, it doesn't play out like we're seeing. Shows are all about ratings and getting people to watch and discuss it (much like we're doing now, lol). They wouldn't show typical mundane, everyday events, but those honestly pervade alot more than the notable things they're airing for us to see. Kind of like how newscasts only usually report on the negative side of the world, but there's of course, far more positive things that outweigh them. They just get far less attention, so people don't notice it as much.

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/07 at 11:31 am

Okay I'll concede on one poing

I really like the way Paula is with her fans. That girl waiting for Paula outside of the Letterman show, I know how she felt, I have been that girl. You may have read about the time I kinda sorta stalked Tyne Daly at a Cagney & Lacey event.... so watching Paula take the time to hang with the fans is cool.

BUT> did you see last Thursday's ep?  Paula has to rent a house due to rennovations that are going to occur in her current residence. The rental is unfurnished and Paula asks Daniel her hair stylist/best friend to help her with the interior designer. Now Daniel was just supposed to spout advise but, since Paula didn't show up to the meeting, Daniel had to make all the decisions. She acted like they just went on all willy nilly with out her but Daniel called to find out where she was and if she was going to show up to the meeting at all?  Poor Paula, the decor Daniel approved was not to her liking...Poor Daniel to scared to say he loved it once he realized she HATED it.  Poor designer doing and undoing all this work because Paula couldn't be bothered to meet her commitment.... Poor me for watching the whiny bitch every week even though she drives me nuts!

Maybe the 2 Coreys will be more to my liking... probably not...  :-\\ 

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 1:32 pm

^ I saw part of that episode too. I'll have to admit, that slightly threw me off at first, too. Although when I thought about it a bit, I guess she felt that she is paying to rent and get it decorated, and wanted it the way SHE wanted it.

Juust personally, I don't think I would've cared too much about the decorations if it were me, but I tend to be quite easygoing. Nobody can say for sure how they would react until they're actually in a given situation. I have feeling she is the type that ultimately expects alot out of others, but I tend to feel she also gives a lot, too. Especially to, say charities and taking time for fans. I also saw the episode where she signs an autograph and hugged that girl outside Letterman, which seemed sweet and genuine.

But I do understand what you're saying. The designers worked quite hard too, so I can understand how they might've been taken aback by her disapproval. It strikes me that she was more upset by the fact that they didn't consult her stylist/friend about what they were going to do before they went ahead with it. I'm sure her assistants (and anyone else involved in her career) just have such busy schedules themselves, that some points of communication just kinda get lost occasionally. So I don't blame either side and I can see where both are coming from.

Just for the sake of argument, even if I felt she were entirely in the wrong, I wouldn't hold it against her. Everybody's human and we've all made mistakes or had regrets at some point. To use another much more controversial example with Michael Jackson (and let's be honest, what he's been accused of is a thousand times worse than anything with Paula). If that were proven to be true, I'd lose alot of respect for him as a person, but it wouldn't stop me from liking his music or appreciating the good things he's done.

Written By: snozberries on 07/29/07 at 3:34 pm

^ I saw part of that episode too. I'll have to admit, that slightly threw me off at first, too. Although when I thought about it a bit, I guess she felt that she is paying to rent and get it decorated, and wanted it the way SHE wanted it.

^Then she should have shown up to tell them what she wanted

It strikes me that she was more upset by the fact that they didn't consult her stylist/friend about what they were going to do before they went ahead with it.

^Guess you didn't see the whole episode, the stylist and decorator talked about Paula's style and looked at pictures together, presumably they agreed upon the design- that part was edited out- what was left in was the stylist walking through the house talking about how much he loved it and how he thought it was perfect for Paula...too bad Paula disagreed.  And it seemed (editing) that Daniel never took responsibility for the look based on the discussions he had with the designer-> the discussion Paula never showed up for. 

Just for the sake of argument, even if I felt she were entirely in the wrong, I wouldn't hold it against her. Everybody's human and we've all made mistakes or had regrets at some point. To use another much more controversial example with Michael Jackson (and let's be honest, what he's been accused of is a thousand times worse than anything with Paula). If that were proven to be true, I'd lose alot of respect for him as a person, but it wouldn't stop me from liking his music or appreciating the good things he's done.

You're right we are all flawed, its human nature... I most certainly do not want anyone to examine my life with microscope but inherent in all of us is how we deal with things... do we stand up and say we screwed up when we err or do we blame someone else for the error? Do we say, I would love to do that but I am over-scheduled or do we do it anyway and then whine because we are tired? 

Paula blames her assistants for virtually everything that goes wrong, she expects everyone to know what she wants and then gets upset when they didn't read her mind. She cries almost every time something fails to go her way. And she is doing all of this on TV just so I can spend my weekends scrutinizing her actions.... THANKS PAULA! ;D

Subject: Which career do people first associate with her?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/08/07 at 7:19 am

*bump*

Just thought of this, but I wonder if there's maybe a semi-generation divider at the point where people more commonly associate Paula with her musical stardom period (1989 to maybe early '93) or with American Idol (2002+ and especially starting mid-decade)?

Like I said, quite a few of my peers liked her music during the inbetween time. I know a couple people born in '85 who were fans as little kids. Courtandspark is a 1990er and also said he has some memories, even if slightly secondhand when certain songs were still commonly on the radio. I guess that would be about the youngest, though. From my perspective she's "a popstar who now judges Idol", although I've personally always tended to view time in a forward sense for anything. The present is really just a culmination and an outgrowth of the past. I'm pretty much starting in the early '90s (when I was familarized with her/started becoming a fan) and working forward, but it's probably the other way around for some people.

Reason being, if you recall her musical period at all, I think you've got at least a tiny shred of '80s experience (even if Forever Your Girl was the only album that was really "Eighties"). Same for other pop music from that era like MC Hammer, early Janet Jackson, power ballads or Steve Winwood.

Subject: Re: Which career do people first associate with her?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/08/07 at 7:44 am

*bump*

Just thought of this, but I wonder if there's maybe a semi-generation divider at the point where people more commonly associate Paula with her musical stardom period (1989 to maybe early '93) or with American Idol (2002+ and especially starting mid-decade)?

Like I said, quite a few of my peers liked her music during the inbetween time. I know a couple people born in '85 who were fans as little kids. Courtandspark is a 1990er and also said he has some memories, even if slightly secondhand when certain songs were still commonly on the radio. I guess that would be about the youngest, though. From my perspective she's "a popstar who now judges Idol", although I've personally always tended to view time in a forward sense for anything. The present is really just a culmination and an outgrowth of the past. I'm pretty much starting in the early '90s (when I was familarized with her/started becoming a fan) and working forward, but it's probably the other way around for some people.

Reason being, if you recall her musical period at all, I think you've got at least a tiny shred of '80s experience (even if Forever Your Girl was the only album that was really "Eighties"). Same for other pop music from that era like MC Hammer, early Janet Jackson, power ballads or Steve Winwood.

Yeah, I never listened to her music or anything when I was growing up, but when she became a judge on American Idol I had already heard of her before that. I guess that those of us born even into the late '80s would've still been old enough to be aware of her music in the waning days of her popularity. I suppose that someone born after 1991 or so may have not known who she was until she started hosting Idol.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/08/07 at 10:32 pm

Well, let me throw in a bit of what I know about Paula from when I knew her.

You have to relaize, this was around 1981-1982.  She was not only the Head Cheerleader, she was also Sr. Class President.  When you look at High School, this pretty much makes her BWOC.

Yet, I had no idea she was either of these.  I knew she was a cheerleader, since on certain days she would wear the uniform.  But I actually did not know for many years later that she was Head Cheerleader.  And she certainly did not act any different then any of the other cheerleaders or band members that hung out with us outside the JROTC building.

In fact, I don't think I even ever knew that she was Sr. Class President.  I think that was probably something I learned much later.  I know that I talked to her many times, but I honestly can't remember any particular incident.  And if she had done something like throw around her Student Council or Head Cheerleader position around, I would remembered her (as in "what a jerk!".

However, in the years since then I have had dealings with the famous and near famous (as well as have friends that have had more dealings then I have).  And as has been stated in here by others, people in high-pressure and high-stress jobs often rely on others to help reduce those stresses such as paying for parking and getting them bottled water.  I sure wish I had somebody to do such things for me!

Written By: snozberries on 08/13/07 at 1:45 pm

Okay Marty- I found something more annoying than Paula Abdul's antics on Hey Paula.... Corey Haim crying about not being approached to make a cameo in the Lost Boys II. 

Subject: Re: Corey Haim

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/13/07 at 4:17 pm

Okay Marty- I found something more annoying than Paula Abdul's antics on Hey Paula.... Corey Haim crying about not being approached to make a cameo in the Lost Boys II. 

;D

I haven't heard about that, so I can't totally judge either way. I admit on the surface, that does sound weird, but...just like I've said about Paula...on Corey Haim's behalf, we don't know how it really went on. I think editing makes a huge difference with things like that.

P.S. Changing the subject, but I find it bizarre (in a good old-school way) that the two Coreys have actually somewhat gotten back together recently. I bet nobody could've predicted that a couple years ago, lol.

Subject: Re: Corey Haim

Written By: snozberries on 08/13/07 at 6:49 pm

;D

I haven't heard about that, so I can't totally judge either way. I admit on the surface, that does sound weird, but...just like I've said about Paula...on Corey Haim's behalf, we don't know how it really went on. I think editing makes a huge difference with things like that.

P.S. Changing the subject, but I find it bizarre (in a good old-school way) that the two Coreys have actually somewhat gotten back together recently. I bet nobody could've predicted that a couple years ago, lol.

Yeah the incident I am talking about occurred on the new reality series the Two Coreys.  Haim comes to stay with Feldman and Feldman's wife.  And are trying to restart their career.  Guess they saw the reality craze as a good start  :-\\ Its not very good they model it after the Odd Couple.  Feldman and wife are neat, eco friendly vegetarians who promote Peta.  Haim is a "loud mouth" slob who spends most of his time saying things simply to annoy Feldmans wife (apparently this is how he gets his kicks)  There is little going on and almost every conflict feels staged. Personally the only reason I watch is so I can informatively rag on it!  ;D   

Written By: woops on 08/14/07 at 4:42 pm

She now looks af if she takes too much botox  :P

She was pretty, a great dancer (mediocre singer)  back in her day though...

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/14/07 at 6:45 pm

She now looks af if she takes too much botox  :P

She was pretty, a great dancer (mediocre singer)  back in her day though...

Well...I've got to disagree on most of that. ;)

Like I said in the first post, while her music is definitely tied to the 1989-1991/'92 period, it seemed to be popular enough to sustain a fanbase beyond then. There's lots of artists who sound "of their time", while also transcending it and influencing what comes afterwards. Just for the Eighties, I'd include Madonna, The Police, Michael Jackson, most new wave, Born in the USA-era Bruce Springsteen and Prince into that category as well.

Yeah, she might've not had the most versatile singing voice, but it was a good match for that kind of dance-pop and ballads. Plus, she has more of a dancing/performing background (choreographing other videos and dance routines from movies in the mid-late '80s) as opposed to singing.

Honestly, the only noticeable change in her appearance is that she doesn't have that big '80ish frizzy hairstyle anymore (which nearly everyone wore back then, lol). Other than that, I don't think she looks much different than in the "Straight Up" era. Maybe 5-7 years older at most, but she certainly doesn't look or seem 45.

Written By: whistledog on 08/14/07 at 8:57 pm

Not everyone can still look young.  Paula has gotten older, but I think she still looks great, and though her star may not be as big as it once was, she hasn't done anything drastic to get back in the spotlight. 

Take Debbie Gibson and Tiffany for example.  Their stars faded big time as the 90s rolled in, so they ended up posing for Playboy to get back into the spotlight. 

Paula never did that, though in someway I wish she would.  I'm sure the world would like to see what Emilio Estevez got to see ;D

Written By: woops on 08/14/07 at 9:57 pm

Deb never faded and she posed because she felt more confident about herself. If she's a hasbeen, wouldn't Christina Applegate & Matthew Broderick to since they've mostly done theatre? I think not.

Here's her bio

Want a real hasbeen, look at Britney Spears.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 1:35 pm

^no body's a has been until people stop talking about them.....and everbody's talking about B.S.

anyway, i am a big paula fan too. while i agree that she probably wasn't forgotten about after (probably about) '92, i don't think anybody was really paying attention to her either.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/18/07 at 4:56 pm

^no body's a has been until people stop talking about them.....and everbody's talking about B.S.

anyway, i am a big paula fan too. while i agree that she probably wasn't forgotten about after (probably about) '92, i don't think anybody was really paying attention to her either.

Yeah I'd say you're right, on both points.

Actually in terms of this thread, I probably should've said I meant popularity more in the sense of people continuing to like her music. Despite not being in the spotlight herself, it seems to be she was in the "recent pop cultural memory" in the late '90s. Whenever there was a program about videos or artists on VH1 or MTV, they still talked about her music like it wasn't that long ago. From some years earlier and enough to be semi-classic, but still ultimately very recent.

I mean Spellbound was only 6-7 years ago in 1998! ;)

Would anyone agree...it seems like when people have a career change, that tends to push their previous stuff out of the public consciousness and further into the past than it would've seemed? If they get a new image, I guess people have to remind themselves about their former life. You can detect this difference if you compare her with Janet Jackson. They were kinda contemporaries (in era, age, and musical style), yet Janet is still viewed as somewhat newish. Her music is generally more remembered, even if she hasn't had a popular hit since the late '90s and hasn't been huge since c. 1991. The only explanation I can come up with for this is because that's been her claim to fame all along, so there's nothing else to compare it to. That's how it was for Paula in the pre-2002 time.

I guess American Idol is both a blessing and a curse in that regard. New fans and more recongnition again, but also makes her original career seem more secondary. It does make me a little uneasy when people talk about her 1989-1992 era like it's "old" (especially because she seemed so young to me then, lol...and still does really), but I guess it really is all about perception.

Written By: snozberries on 08/18/07 at 5:11 pm

Yeah I'd say you're right, on both points.

Actually in terms of this thread, I probably should've said I meant popularity more in the sense of people continuing to like her music. Despite not being in the spotlight herself, it seems to be she was in the "recent pop cultural memory" in the late '90s. Whenever there was a program about videos or artists on VH1 or MTV, they still talked about her music like it wasn't that long ago. From some years earlier and enough to be semi-classic, but still ultimately very recent.

I mean Spellbound was only 6-7 years ago in 1998! ;)

Would anyone agree...it seems like when people have a career change, that tends to push their previous stuff out of the public consciousness and further into the past than it would've seemed? If they get a new image in the public eye, I guess people have to remind themselves about their former life. There's some differences if you compare her with Janet Jackson. They were kinda contemporaries (in era, age, and musical style), yet Janet is still today viewed as somewhat newish. Her music is generally more remembered by people, even if she hasn't had a popular hit since the late '90s and hasn't been huge since c. 1991. The only explanation I can come up with for this is because that's been her basic claim to fame all along, so there's nothing else to compare it to. That's how it seemed to be for Paula in the pre-2002 time.

I guess American Idol is both a blessing and a curse in that regard. New fans and more recongnition again, but also makes her original career peak seem "older" than it really is. It does make me a little uneasy when people talk about her 1989-1992 era like it's so much "older" (especially because she seemed so young to me then, lol...and still does really), but I guess it's all about perception.

I still listen to some of her music.  The songs on Forever your girl are a little dated now but I still like them. My favorite Paula songs are Rush Rush and Blowin' Kisses in the Wind.  The Vibeology song was cool but also dated/trendy

Remember when season one idols did a musical tribute to Paula? That was horrendous.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 5:11 pm

Janet has had 4 hits so far in the 2000's; 'someone to call my lover', 'all for your", "doesn't really matter", and "call on me". she has also had a #1 dance hit with "so excited"....also, her popularity actually probably peaked in '93-'94 (or she was atleast as popular as she was in '91). she released her best selling album during that time....

but i see what you're saying. it's kind of like how marky wahlberhs day's as marky mark have been pushed into the backround.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/18/07 at 5:15 pm

^Yeah, people talk about Marky Mark like it's a joke now (I kinda feel bad for him, although I bet he enjoys being a serious actor quite a bit more, lol). ;) Janet's last universally-known type of hit seemed to be "Back Together Again" from 1998, although she's had some minor ones since. I find it very old-school comforting that she's still around/semi successful today.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/18/07 at 5:18 pm

All For You was a very very big song, number 1 for several weeks big.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 5:19 pm

'all for you' and 'doesn't really matter' both hit #1, and 'someone to call my lover' reached #3  ???.....

Written By: Brian06 on 08/18/07 at 5:21 pm

'all for you' and 'doesn't really matter' both hit #1, and 'someone to call my lover' reached #3   ???.....

Yeah I remember all of them, everybody I knew was into that album at the time along with Shaggy, Destiny's Child, J. Lo, etc....

Written By: tv on 08/18/07 at 6:49 pm

Well...I've got to disagree on most of that. ;)

Honestly, the only noticeable change in her appearance is that she doesn't have that big '80ish frizzy hairstyle anymore (which nearly everyone wore back then, lol). Other than that, I don't think she looks much different than in the "Straight Up" era. Maybe 5-7 years older at most, but she certainly doesn't look or seem 45.
Yeah Paula doesn't look 45 she looks about 36-37 to me not 45.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/18/07 at 9:44 pm

Deb never faded and she posed because she felt more confident about herself. If she's a hasbeen, wouldn't Christina Applegate & Matthew Broderick to since they've mostly done theatre? I think not.

Here's her bio

Want a real hasbeen, look at Britney Spears.

lol no comment....

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/19/07 at 11:49 pm

Another thought just occured to me. I think people sometimes skew things a certain way, even unintentionally, because it's the way we want it to be. As fans, it's normal to want to preserve the past of people we like. It could be from personal experiences we've had too. Like since I stayed with '80s and early '90s culture ever since then, it probably makes that time seem newer and more ingrained in me than it might to the next person.

I'm sure Debbie Gibson herself would tell you her mainstream career was on the skids after 1989. She may have still had material afterwards, but there's a difference between being active and being commercially successful, which she hasn't been since. People just fall out of favor sometimes, it doesn't mean the person isn't talented, it just could've been bad promotion or public tastes changing. For the record, I'm not getting on woops' case here. I think he just wants to feel like someone he likes is still popular, which I can understand. Yes, I get uneasy at the thought of the early '90s becoming older. I'm a little resistant to change and comfortable in the past myself, so I tend to emphasize the similarities rather than the differences in an era, to make it seem "closer". ;)

To relate it to this thread - I clearly remember when Paula was very much in the public conciousness, including all over MTV and VH1 when I watched them around 1991. I'm serious when I say quite a few people liked her music later in the decade, or that she still looks/seems pretty youngish and not too different from when she was around 28. On the same token, though, I can't deny American Idol has been her biggest claim to fame since 2002 or '03. At that point, it probably did push her musical era from being viewed as "just awhile ago" to "another era" faster. That does kinda sadden me for the comfort factor and familiarity I had up to that point...but hey, it's life.

P.S. On one episode of her reality show, she made a comment to the effect of, "The last time I had a big hit, Bill and Hilary were still having sex." ;D I'm sure she's proud of her accomplishments, but doesn't take herself too seriously either, which is cool. Point being, if she had superstar status for about 4 years and can joke around about it, I imagine many other celebrities do too.

Check for new replies or respond here...