inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the first video game you ever played

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/11/07 at 12:16 pm

A question for all the gamers on the boards.

The first game I ever played was Super Mario Bros. 3 in 1991.

Subject: Re: What was the first video game you ever played

Written By: Haynsoul on 07/11/07 at 3:19 pm

Splatterhouse on the TurboGrafx

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/07 at 3:35 pm

Cosmic Cruncher on the Commodore VIC-20 sometime back around 1983 or 1984.  It was a Pac-Man clone that featured the Commodore Logo as a cosmic crunching hero who maneuvered a maze eating space dots and aliens. 

The VIC-20 was the first video game system I owned, and Cosmic Cruncher was the game that came with it

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/07 at 3:52 pm

Ms. Pac-Man

Written By: audkal on 07/11/07 at 10:18 pm

Probably Duck Hunt on my cousin's Nintendo (he still had it hooked up in the early-mid 90s).

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/11/07 at 10:22 pm

Probably the original Super Mario Bros some time towards the end of 1987, but it was The Legend of Zelda that Christmas, that really got me into video games in general. Me and my parents, along with friends of ours, were on vacation in Hawaii, and my dad actually found a way to hook up the Nintendo in the hotel room, lol. Ever since then, I've associated Zelda with that. ;)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/11/07 at 10:29 pm

I think it was Pong back in 1978 or 79  http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6hn5VGOwsAHSyjzbkF/SIG=12hb1tnmf/EXP=1184297249/**http%3A//retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pong_1.jpg

and then in 1983 I was given an Atari 2600 and my first game was Asteroids
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x8LoJVGU34Bl1OjzbkF/SIG=126qmibua/EXP=1184297355/**http%3A//www.pangolin.com/images/Asteroids_small.jpg

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/11/07 at 11:02 pm

At an arcade-Pac Man
At home-Super Mario Bros.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/07 at 11:03 pm

Do you guys remember Maniac Mansion? Gosh, that game creeped me out when I was younger. :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/07 at 11:10 pm

Do you guys remember Maniac Mansion? Gosh, that game creeped me out when I was younger. :D

I always wanted to play that, but everytime I wanted to rent it for the NES, it was always out :(

I did however used to watch the TV show that was based on the game

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/07 at 11:12 pm

I always wanted to play that, but everytime I wanted to rent it for the NES, it was always out :(

I did however used to watch the TV show that was based on the game

yes, I watched it too. The game used to always freak me out...we rented it as well, I never did own it.

Written By: Green Lantern on 07/11/07 at 11:30 pm

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6hn5VGOwsAHSyjzbkF/SIG=12hb1tnmf/EXP=1184297249/**http%3A//retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pong_1.jpg

Badfinger-fan
View Profile Email Personal Message (Offline)    Re: What was the first video game you ever played
« Reply #6 on: Today at 10:29:55 PM » Reply with quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think it was Pong back in 1978 or 79 

Yes, that sounds about right by me, and same here ^ ... the 1st video game I can remember playing. That makes us a couple of old dinosaurs, right?  :-[  Things have progressed 'just a LITTLE bit' since then  ;)

Shortly after that, I encountered 'space invaders' .. which seemed light years ahead at the time .... but I soon got frustrated with that, as I'd often fail to wipe out that last attacker who'd descend so quickly sweeping left and right. Never quite got the hang of the technique there, and the timing / tricks like the 'polish corridor' and so on that those in the 'know' mastered. Galaxians was much more my game ... and I was fairly competent on that .... although Galaga, which followed shortly afterwards was my favourite arcade game from that era.  8)

Written By: whistledog on 07/11/07 at 11:33 pm

Shortly after that, I encountered 'space invaders' .. which seemed light years ahead at the time .... but I soon got frustrated with that, as I'd often fail to wipe out that last attacker who'd descend so quickly sweeping left and right. Never quite got the hang of the technique there, and the timing / tricks like the 'polish corridor' and so on that those in the 'know' mastered. Galaxians was much more my game ... and I was fairly competent on that .... although Galaga, which followed shortly afterwards was my favourite arcade game from that era.  8)

Space Invaders (for the Atari 2600) was one of the first games to have a cheat code.  If you held down the reset button as you turned on the power, your ship could fire two shots at once, instead of just one lol

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 07/12/07 at 2:20 am

http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je5x6hn5VGOwsAHSyjzbkF/SIG=12hb1tnmf/EXP=1184297249/**http%3A//retrothing.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/pong_1.jpg

Yes, that sounds about right by me, and same here ^ ... the 1st video game I can remember playing. That makes us a couple of old dinosaurs, right?  :-w00t!

Written By: audkal on 07/12/07 at 12:15 pm

Yes, that sounds about right by me, and same here ^ ... the 1st video game I can remember playing. That makes us a couple of old dinosaurs, right?  :-Pong came out and everyone was like, 'Dude, IT CAN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THIS!!!'"  ;D

Written By: annonymouse on 07/12/07 at 2:11 pm

not counting arcade games, the first videogame i played is (i think) spyro the dragon for the ps1. thankyou insomniac

Written By: GameDude2008 on 07/12/07 at 8:49 pm

My first system was the Playstation.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/12/07 at 9:17 pm

My first game I played was Pac-Man.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/15/07 at 2:09 pm

Probably the original Super Mario Bros some time towards the end of 1987, but it was The Legend of Zelda that Christmas, that really got me into video games in general. Me and my parents, along with friends of ours, were on vacation in Hawaii, and my dad actually found a way to hook up the Nintendo in the hotel room, lol. Ever since then, I've associated Zelda with that. ;)

Yeah, my situation was similar. I played SMB 3 about a year and a half before I actually had my own video game system. I used to play NES over at my cousins house all the time when I was really little, but didn't actually get a video game system until Christmas 1992. When my parents got me a SNES that Christmas, I became instantly hooked on Super Mario World and never looked back.

Written By: NbC on 07/16/07 at 11:36 am

It was either Breakout or Pong back in the 70's

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/16/07 at 2:57 pm

Pong

Cat

Written By: Step-chan on 07/16/07 at 6:07 pm

Arcade- Ms. Pac-Man

Home: Super Mario Bros.

Written By: Midas on 07/16/07 at 11:25 pm

At home: Super Pong circa 1977.

Outside the home: Pac-Man at the Circle K on 19th Ave & Beardsley, Phoenix AZ circa 1981.

Written By: snozberries on 07/18/07 at 4:30 pm

Besides Pong, Pac Man, Asteroids, and Tempest....the first games I got addicted to... played them everyday after school...Elevator Action and PaperBoy

Written By: Brian06 on 07/18/07 at 7:40 pm

It was something on NES at my cousins back in 1991. It's hard to remember specific games from that long ago, but I know some Ninja Turtles game and Super Mario Bros. 3 were in his collection.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 8:52 pm

If we're talking about arcades, mine would've also probably been Pac Man. There were machines in almost every place you could go into back then (which lasted in a secondary sense up to c. 1990 even), so I don't remember everything as it happened, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/19/07 at 10:16 am

If we're talking about arcades, mine would've also probably been Pac Man. There were machines in almost every place you could go into back then (which lasted in a secondary sense up to c. 1990 even), so I don't remember everything as it happened, lol.

Yeah, I started playing arcade games at a pretty young age. Our local pizza place had a game room with a bunch of arcade machines back in the early '90s. And when it comes to Pac-Man, I still see that game often in Arcade's today. Hard to believe its been out for almost 30 years.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/20/07 at 9:38 pm

Yeah, I started playing arcade games at a pretty young age. Our local pizza place had a game room with a bunch of arcade machines back in the early '90s. And when it comes to Pac-Man, I still see that game often in Arcade's today. Hard to believe its been out for almost 30 years.

Yeah, a few places like movie theatres still have some of the basic arcade games. Probably because there's enough people around to play them for it to still be profitable. It's amazing how Pac Man, despite being the oldest traditional video game, is still one of the most popular. It's as old now as something from 1953 was then, in 1980!

Written By: 1993 on 07/21/07 at 9:14 pm

Not quite sure, but I think it was either Zelda or Duck Hunt.

Written By: twistedwarp on 07/22/07 at 8:11 am

super mario bros on the nes i was about 3

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/22/07 at 10:07 am

Maniac Mansion, I believe. The game's awesome.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/27/07 at 5:53 pm

I am sure when it comes to arcades it was at one of those sit down arcade games, and it was definetly Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.
Playing at home, we did have an Atari at home, but it was missing some components and we couldn't play it for awhile. My mom, I believe, bought my brother the Sega Master System back in 1986 or maybe 1987. My brother and I played many games on that.

To name a few:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Choplifter
Out Run
Quartet

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/01/07 at 3:04 pm

I am sure when it comes to arcades it was at one of those sit down arcade games, and it was definetly Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.
Playing at home, we did have an Atari at home, but it was missing some components and we couldn't play it for awhile. My mom, I believe, bought my brother the Sega Master System back in 1986 or maybe 1987. My brother and I played many games on that.

To name a few:

Alex Kidd in Miracle World
Choplifter
Out Run
Quartet

I think I remember the Master System. It was the 8-bit predecessor to the Genesis, but badly overshadowed by the NES in the mid/late '80s. Someone I knew had one and I always thought it was a cool system.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/01/07 at 4:16 pm

I think I remember the Master System. It was the 8-bit predecessor to the Genesis, but badly overshadowed by the NES in the mid/late '80s. Someone I knew had one and I always thought it was a cool system.

Yes, eventually Nintendo came out not too long after and really took over Sega. Super Mario Bros. was a huge game and lots of fun. Yet, some of my fondest memories of playing video games are playing them on the Master System and on Genesis.

Here's a picture of the original Master System in all it's glory  :\'(

http://www.computermuseum.li/Testpage/SEGA-MasterSystem.jpg

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/01/07 at 4:30 pm

Yes, eventually Nintendo came out not too long after and really took over Sega. Super Mario Bros. was a huge game and lots of fun. Yet, some of my fondest memories of playing video games are playing them on the Master System and on Genesis.

Yeah, I was just a baby when the MS was new, and still being sold in stores, but I loved the Genesis back in the early/mid '90s. I had a Super Nintendo, NES, and Genesis back then, but I still found myself playing the Genesis more often than the others.

When Sonic ran across the water in Hydrocity Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, I thought games couldn't get any cooler than that 8)

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/01/07 at 4:53 pm

First arcade game I can remember playing back in 79 or '80 was the old racing game Sprint. I'm sure I've played Pong too but don't remember liking it too much.

First home video game was some type of racing game on the Magnavox/Fairchild F-Channel unit. I never bought one, just played it at the local dept store's electronic section. For 1979 way too expensive a toy at $170.

Calling it a racing game or even a game is a fair stretch of the imagination, believe me.
Compared to the Fairchild, the Atari was a supercomputer in the way of graphics and gameplay, it was that primitive! :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 10:56 pm

Loosely related, but speaking of video games, I just realized there seemed to be a "gap" between the first arcades games and the home console era. The Pac Man/Frogger/Asteroids era seemed to be about 1979-'83 or so, and the Nintendo didn't really take off until 1987.

It seemed to kinda fade away in the mid '80s for a little bit, although I'm sure the arcades were popular.

Written By: audkal on 08/01/07 at 11:42 pm

When Sonic ran across the water in Hydrocity Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog 3, I thought games couldn't get any cooler than that 8)

Oh definitely!  I still love playing that on the Genesis from time to time. 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 11:45 pm

Does anyone think the fewer buttons actually made the older games more fun/easier? I know when I've played XBox or PS3 era games, half the time I die or get lost really fast because I forget which does what. ;D

Written By: audkal on 08/01/07 at 11:51 pm

Does anyone think the fewer buttons actually made the older games more fun/easier? I know when I've played XBox or PS3 era games, half the time I die or get lost really fast because I forget which does what. ;D

Yeah I would agree.  Besides the arrows and "Start" button, Genesis only had 3 other buttons (unless you splurged on the 6-button controller, which my brothers eventually did).  But PS for example has 9 more buttons. :P  It took me awhile to get used to it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/07 at 9:56 am

Loosely related, but speaking of video games, I just realized there seemed to be a "gap" between the first arcades games and the home console era. The Pac Man/Frogger/Asteroids era seemed to be about 1979-'83 or so, and the Nintendo didn't really take off until 1987.

It seemed to kinda fade away in the mid '80s for a little bit, although I'm sure the arcades were popular.

Yeah, that gap between the Pong/Atari 2600/Pac-Man era in the '70s and early '80s, and the NES era was due to what they call the Great Video Game Crash of 1983. Home consoles, and Arcades became extremely popular in the late '70s, but there was a huge drop-off of quality games in the early '80s, and the market became over saturated with consoles, and bad games. Then the infamously bad E.T. video game came out, and the entire market just sort of crashed, leading to a period of almost no consoles or games in stores.

That lasted from about 1983-1986, then the NES came to the U.S. and the rest is history.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 1:46 pm

Yeah, that gap between the Pong/Atari 2600/Pac-Man era in the '70s and early '80s, and the NES era was due to what they call the Great Video Game Crash of 1983. Home consoles, and Arcades became extremely popular in the late '70s, but there was a huge drop-off of quality games in the early '80s, and the market became over saturated with consoles, and bad games. Then the infamously bad E.T. video game came out, and the entire market just sort of crashed, leading to a period of almost no consoles or games in stores.

That lasted from about 1983-1986, then the NES came to the U.S. and the rest is history.

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. I think arcades just got so big, that everyone tried to capitalize off it with home consoles that weren't yet that good. In a weird way, I guess we can thank that for the NES being created. They probably took so long with it because they wanted to make sure they got it perfect this time.

P.S. Dead periods always seem to lead to creativity later (kinda like 1959-'63 was for music, before the Beatles/British Invasion), don't they?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/07 at 2:48 pm

Oh yeah, I remember hearing about that. I think arcades just got so big, that everyone tried to capitalize off it with home consoles that weren't yet that good. In a weird way, I guess we can thank that for the NES being created. They probably took so long with it because they wanted to make sure they got it perfect this time.

P.S. Dead periods always seem to lead to creativity later (kinda like 1959-'63 was for music, before the Beatles/British Invasion), don't they?

Yeah, if it wasn't for the NES coming over here when it did, i'm not really sure where the video game industry would be at today. Coincidentally, Nintendo originally wasn't going to bring the NES over here to the U.S due to the condition of the video game market. In fact, the NES had already been out for 2 years before it came to America. It was released in 1983 in Japan. I'd say were pretty lucky they decided to bring it overseas.

And yeah, dead periods usually lead to something creative, and totally different becoming popular. I think you could make the same comparison with the 1988-1991 time period as well. Even though music wasn't in quite as dead a state as the early '60s, it was becoming extremely stale and repetitive, then in 1992 alternative music exploded and changed everything.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 2:55 pm

^ I actually heard about it being released a couple years earlier, but didn't realize it was already available in Japan (I assumed it was either in development, or just was slow to pick up with sales until Mario Bros. came out). It's interesting to think that if had kept up the way it was, arcades and video games in general might've died out and been looked at as an "eighties thing!". Although I'm sure someone else would've tried their hand at home consoles, it wouldn't have been the same. 1987 wouldn't be 1987 without NES.

Written By: whistledog on 08/02/07 at 6:12 pm

I remember the Sega Master System.  I loved the 'Rocky' game

Written By: 90skid555 on 08/03/07 at 11:08 pm

super mario bros 3 in 1994

Written By: analogue on 08/15/07 at 3:25 am

Street fighter

Written By: tokjct on 08/20/07 at 11:55 am

My in-laws bought us "Pong."  That must have been just after it first came out.  It seems so primitive, now!

We bought an Apple 2GS PC during the mid 70's 'cause my kids school was using that model, and I played "Loderunner" day after day for months.

The first really "involved" video game was "The Legend of Zelda."  I remember trying some of those levels (it seemed like) hundreds of times until I had finally beaten them and moved on.  I eventually did complete the game.  I think I videotaped the ending to prove I really had finished the game.

peace...Lee (aka tokjct) http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/pcangry.gif

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/20/07 at 5:16 pm

the earliest i can remember was one of the first three Super Mario Brothers games for Nintendo, and that was in the 90's.

i also remember being obsessed with Kitana from Mortal Combat, and Chun-Li from Street Fighter, who i called "Mouse Girl".

Written By: teababe27 on 08/20/07 at 9:50 pm

I think it was Mario Party 2.

Written By: gopher on 08/26/07 at 5:22 pm

it was Mario Bros on Nintendo when i was 3!!!!!!!!!!! it  took me a month to get bored because i could not beat it then later i found out about the pattern thing and the hidden pinball mini game!! but never actually beat it!!! :( ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 08/27/07 at 11:41 am

Like some of the others, the first game I played was Pong.

Written By: Tam on 08/27/07 at 12:05 pm

The first game I played I believe was Merlin! ;D

But seriously, it was either an Atari game or a TI-99 game called Munch Man. It was definitely a take on Pac Man

Check for new replies or respond here...