inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Songs On Radio

Written By: rock music on 07/12/07 at 3:43 pm

On my local radio station, they've been playing 2 90s songs a lot:

Madonna - Vogue and Travis - Why Does It Always Rain On Me.

I think they're only playing Vogue because where I come from, there's a song that's been #1 for about 6 weeks called 'Grace Kelly' and Vogue mentions Grace kelly in the lyrics.

And I think they're only playing Why Does It Always Rain On Me because of Rihanna's Umbrella that's still No. 1 where I dcome from.

Do you think they're the only reasons they're playing those songs?

Subject: Re: Songs On Radio

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/07 at 3:45 pm

Yes, for the former tracks from the 90s are much better to listen to than the more recent ones.

Written By: rock music on 07/12/07 at 3:52 pm

I agree with you about Travis, but not about Madonna.

I prefer Mika to Madonna, but I prefer Travis to Rihanna.

Anyway, let's get back to the question.

Written By: whistledog on 07/12/07 at 6:30 pm

I never thought I'd see Travis compared to Rihanna

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/13/07 at 2:26 am

Rihanna's Umbrella is still number one where I come from too, are you (rock music) in the UK?

Written By: rock music on 08/08/07 at 6:42 pm

Yes, i am from the UK.

And there's another song they have played once:

Queen - Fat B****med Girls.

Do you think they're only playing that because Mika has a new single out called "Big Girl" which is lyrically very simalar to Fat B****med Girls?

So far I've heard them play:

Vogue - 4 times
Why Does it Always..... - 4 times
Fat B****med Girls - 1 time

Do you think they're doing connections with modern records?

I DEFINATELY think they are.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/07 at 11:14 pm

Yes, i am from the UK.

And there's another song they have played once:

Queen - Fat B****med Girls.

Do you think they're only playing that because Mika has a new single out called "Big Girl" which is lyrically very simalar to Fat B****med Girls?

So far I've heard them play:

Vogue - 4 times
Why Does it Always..... - 4 times
Fat B****med Girls - 1 time

Do you think they're doing connections with modern records?

I DEFINATELY think they are.
Giving another clue to the inspiration of Mika, he already looks similar to Freddie Mercury

Written By: rock music on 08/09/07 at 5:19 pm

Yeah. but do you think they're only playing these old Madonnna, Travis & Queen songs because of Mika and Rihanna?

Future songs they will start playing:

Mica Paris - My One Temptation (because of Mika)
Big Brovaz- Favourite Things (because it says 'diamonds and rubies' and the Kaiser Cheifs have a poplar record called Ruby)
Supertramp - Brekky in USA (because the Gym Class Heroes sampled it in Cupid's Chokehold)

Written By: rock music on 09/03/07 at 5:20 pm

Since I posted this, there have been more connections they keep doing:

Weather Girls - It's Raining Men (again, cos it's about the rain, and because of the line at the beginning "Leave those UMBRELLAS at home!")
Will Young - Leave Right Now (because it says "Weaker and weaker", which rhymes with Mika.)
Robbie Williams - Millennium (whick says "Cos we know we're falling from GRACE..." as in GRACE KELLY.)
Amy Winehouse - Rehab (because RE-HAB is like RIH-ANNA.)
Guns + Roses - Sweet Child 'O Mine (which says GRACE!)
Aerosmith - Falling In Love (this says the word CUPID in it, you know, as in CUPID'S Chokehold!)
Alanis Morrisette - Ironic (Because of "It's like RAIN.....")

Written By: rock music on 09/03/07 at 5:21 pm

Also, I have noticed that for each connection they do, they then start playing other songs from that artist/genre to make people think it's just a coincidence.

Written By: smorez14 on 09/04/07 at 12:11 pm

This may sound really weird and completely off topic but a few years ago, I would always listen to this song. I don't know the name or how it goes. All I remember about it was the video had a TV sitting outside of a store and the TV was showing a close up of a man singing this song. I don't remember but I think he may have been older. But who knows. I was so young that 25 looked old. Anyway! I was listening to Satelite radio today and a song came on that I was almost POSITIVE was the one I've been desperate to find. It was called "your woman" by white town. As soon as I got home I went to see if the video went to this song but it turned out that "your woman" doesn't have a video. It must have just been a song that I remember from years ago but not the one I actually wanted to find. Can soeone PLEASE help me?!? remember... man on tv singing outside store, maybe middle aged who knows, and it might be a song that sounds like "your woman". THANKS!! :-\\

Written By: rock music on 09/04/07 at 3:51 pm

Okay, here's some others that I forgot:

The Foundations - Build Me Up Buttercup (becasue of Kate Nash - Foundations)
A Whole Group Of Justin Timberlake Songs (Because of Timbaland)
Deep Blue Something - Breakfast At Tiffany's / Razorlight - America (because Breakfast In America would be too obvious.)
No Doubt - Don't Speak (because the intro sounds like Breakfast In America).
Bryan Adams - When You're Gone (becasue of Avril Lavinge's song or sthe same title).

Check for new replies or respond here...