inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Red Hot Chili Peppers' influence on the '90s?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/12/07 at 11:53 pm

People often bring up grunge, house music and gangsta rap for brining on the Nineties sound in 1991, but doesn't it seem like they were a huge part of it too? In many ways, they were ahead of their time, with the funk/rap-rock sound (probably an influence on nu metal). The slower songs like "Under the Bridge" kind of defined '90s ballads. They're also one of the few bands from then who are still pretty popular and not dated today.

Subject: Re: Red Hot Chili Peppers' influence on the '90s?

Written By: whistledog on 07/13/07 at 1:58 am

RHCP were around in the 80s (Debut album was in 1984); they appeared as themselves in the 1986 movie 'Tough Guys' and Flea was sort of known for his role as Needles in BTTF II and III.  The 90s was definately their time though, with their breakthrough hit 'Under the Bridge' in 1991.  They fit in real well with the music that was emerging in the 90s.  I never really cared for them, but I can see how they were popular.  They had (and still do have) quite a fan base :)

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/13/07 at 2:18 am

RHCP were around in the 80s (Debut album was in 1984); they appeared as themselves in the 1986 movie 'Tough Guys' and Flea was sort of known for his role as Needles in BTTF II and III.  The 90s was definately their time though, with their breakthrough hit 'Under the Bridge' in 1991.  They fit in real well with the music that was emerging in the 90s.  I never really cared for them, but I can see how they were popular.  They had (and still do have) quite a fan base :)

RHCP came into their own so to speak in the 90's, but for some of us hardcore funk guys, the Chili Peppers really moved away from their funk and soul roots by the 90's.
Most of their current fans don't know or don't like any of their sillier and funkier songs from Uplift Mojo Party Plan and earlier tunes from the late 80's.

Not knocking them so much as I notice that their latest efforts, while better than most, isn't the type of music they would've played or the kind of music audience that they used to play to...these used to be the guys who played in their underwear, or better yet with just a sock over their "tallywackers", not Anthony crooning over the demons of adult life.

Guess they've grown up (and got stupid rich too), but I miss what they used to be. :(

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/13/07 at 9:08 am

I think they retained their sense of humor and funk roots even on Californication, but yeah, they've definitely matured from what I've observed. I think they just continued doing more songs that the public embraced, such as "Give It Away" and "Soul To Squeeze".

They were more underground when they started, so it was just a developmental '90s sound that hadn't caught on yet.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/13/07 at 9:09 am

I could never stomach this band. ::)

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/13/07 at 11:01 pm

I never really got into RHCP all that much, even though I got the Blood Sugar Sex Magik cassette for my birthday one year (it was the first album I ever owned with a warning label on it!). I listened to it a couple of times, then put it away, never to be seen again.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 12:24 pm

On another thought, I wonder if they helped inspire rap-rock/nu metal? Lots of people who liked Korn or Linkin Park in the 1998-2001 time also were RHCP fans. Even before Californication came out (which was sort of their comeback, and maybe even one of their biggest successes).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/07 at 12:39 pm

On another thought, I wonder if they helped inspire rap-rock/nu metal? Lots of people who liked Korn or Linkin Park in the 1998-2001 time also were RHCP fans. Even before Californication came out (which was sort of their comeback, and maybe even one of their biggest successes).

To a certain extent I think they did. RHCP and Rage Against the Machine were both huge influences to most nu-metal bands. And yeah, alot of people who liked nu-metal liked the RHCP too. I know that I was a pretty big nu-metal fan around 2000/2001, and I was a huge fan of theres.

Written By: JohnDoe on 07/18/07 at 2:01 pm

As a teenager of the early 90's it seemed that at the time they were as popular as Nirvana. But one of their songs (I don't remember the actual title) will always remind me of the time of Rodney King Riots.

Probably "Under The Bridge", which was a big hit during the Spring/Summer of 1992 (Around the time of the riots)

It even peaked at #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in June 1992

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/18/07 at 3:11 pm

Can't really agree, in that RHCP have it all over Linkin Park & Korn in terms of talent and imagination, though I can see their influence on those bands. Flea is one of the best bass players (tuba too by the way) on the earth. And the roster of guitar players that have been with RHCP is beyond the pale. Only Rage Against the Machine gets a nod for having as much musical talent.

As far as RCHP having some influence to rap-rock metal, true but so many bands from the late '80's were doing rap-metal/funk/rock that never got any credit (or any notice), and have a lot more in common to Linkin Park and Korn.

Fishbone, Living Colour, 24-7 Spy's and a lot of others were branching out in all directions to mostly deaf ears (with the exception of Living Colour).
Heck if you want to get specific, Bad Brains had more than a bit of influence on the scene than any other, but most of the people listening to Korn and the like never heard of them. :(

Written By: Brian06 on 07/18/07 at 9:26 pm

I'm a pretty big fan generally. They've obviously been very successful, and still even recently in 2006 pumped out a huge chart topping album, it was a decent album. Gotta give these guys credit, I don't think they get enough. Californication is one of the best from them I think.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/07 at 9:33 pm

"Dani California" was a classic, I think. What's cool about it is that it kinda transcends...in other words, it wouldn't have sounded out of place as a 1991 song (with some slight modifications maybe, lol), yet it's not dated for the present either. It's just an evolution of their "signature" sound.

Check for new replies or respond here...