inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who agrees...

Written By: Cool Kev on 07/28/07 at 5:33 pm

That there should be another music revolution, like grunge. 'cept original.

Subject: Re: Who agrees...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 5:37 pm

Grunge is old hat now, it belongs to the 90s and it should stay there.

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 6:00 pm

Yes indeed

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 6:12 pm

Bring back Rock n' Roll!

Written By: whistledog on 07/28/07 at 6:14 pm

Bring back Rock n' Roll!

The good ol' days of Elvis, Cliff Richard, Chuck Berry, etc ...

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/28/07 at 6:15 pm

The good ol' days of Elvis, Cliff Richard, Chuck Berry, etc ...
Late 50s, early 60s and 1967 will do fine.

Written By: Cool Kev on 07/28/07 at 6:29 pm

I said original, but with Grunges kind of cultural impacts.

Written By: popking on 07/28/07 at 7:39 pm

I agree, and I actually think next decade it'll happen, certainly there is going to be a backlash to 2000s culture like the 1990s were a backlash to 80s culture. This will tie in with music as well, so whatever comes about will be "revolutionary" as they say.

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/29/07 at 3:36 am

Amen.
That sound had its place and meaning. That was then, and this is now.

The entire music scene needs an upheaval but grunge, or something like it in this year of 2007, is not the answer.

The biggest change we are seeing, and what we are hearing is the effect of the Internet, mp3's, piracy and the like on the sound of music. Believe it or not we are already living in very new and exciting times in music, the way it is distributed and how we (the listening public) hear it.

Not since the introduction of the long playing record (LP) or radio, will we ever see such a dramatic impact on music.

Listen closely, as this type of change will not happen again, not with as much power in our lifetime.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 7:52 am

I was never a huge grunge fan, but yeah it's hard to deny its impact on rock and roll as well as culture in general. We haven't had a major pop culture shift since the Y2K era, and not a revolutionary one since 1991, and grunge was part of that. It was the last true "rock and roll" period in terms of it still being the general cool music of choice especially for the youth of the time. This was before hip hop started surpassing it c. 1995 (which was complete after 2003 or so).

With the way things are going, I'd say it'll be a yes and no. Yes in that I'm sure the '10s will be different (and most things that have been cool this decade will probably look stupid and get a backlash), and music will likely change with it. But unless the music industry itself changes, like file sharing, I don't see there being any revolutionary "classic" albums. Maybe songs though.

On an off note, I used to kinda despise grunge because it killed off hair metal and arena rock, and probably further "uncoolifyed" the Eighties sound in general. But alot of that stuff from the "decline period" in 1989 and 1990 (and a teeny bit in 1991/'92 as well, in an under the radar sense) was pretty generic anyway. Tail end hair metal bands like Winger and Warrant I'm sure would've died on their own before too long. Grunge on its own terms kinda saved rock and roll in the early-mid '90s, even if it wasn't everyone's taste.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 12:47 pm

You know what seems to be the craze in today's musical era?  I know this is happening here in Canada ... with stars like Josh Groban and Canadian singers Michael Bublé and Matt Dusk, the crooner jazz style seems to be making a major comeback

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/07 at 1:01 pm

You know what seems to be the craze in today's musical era?  I know this is happening here in Canada ... with stars like Josh Groban and Canadian singers Michael Bublé and Matt Dusk, the crooner jazz style seems to be making a major comeback
Michael Bublé has made it bigtime over here.

Written By: gumbypiz on 07/30/07 at 11:51 am

^The music industry is actually gonna pull a rabbit out of a hat, and its called mobile music (i.e. iPhone). Probably something nobody saw coming, by 2010 their predicting it will make up for all lost revenues just 3 years from now (about $30 billion, which is about what album sales made up for a year in 2005) That will probably revitalize everything, especially considering CD sales took about 20 years to really catch on. By say, 2020 god knows how much money they'll be raking in.

Grunge I prefer to metal because it was pure rock and roll, albeit modernized, while I think the 2010s can't be more of the same, there willl definitely be some very grungy influences, and new bands can create something new out of using something old, the way it always is done. With the music market revitalized, more money will come, meaning more acts getting signed. Add in a 2000s backlash, which is what will most likely happen, and whatever new style of music emerges will seem like a big cultural shift. You'll definitely see other styles shift along side rock music, like r&b, rap and pop. I think rap music will go back to the gritty, social commentary style of the 80s and 90s and some of the pre-gangsta colorful clothing and flat top styles may come back. It'll all be apart of a much larger backlash against 2000s culture. How big, nobody reallly knows, but culture shifts in the vein of Nevermind will still happen. And I don't believe the album will ever die.

20 years for CD’s to “catch on”? As I remember it (worked in 5 different music shops-east coast, mid-west & Cali late 80’s -‘98), CD’s came out circa 1982 for most major retailers, by ’92 almost all stores were CD’s. Yes some cassettes, and very few (if any) were still carrying vinyl. But CD’s (for the record industry anyway) were solidly the medium of choice by the early 90’s.

Now iPhone, and iTunes and “mobile music”, well despite the hype, they will not be the savior of the music industry. Nor are downloadable music to portable devices (cellphones, iPhones, mp3, PC's and the like) going to make up for lost sales of the recent years.

Being more realistic, not everyone has (or wants) an iPod, mp3 player, or deal with iTunes DRM nonsense and most people aren’t going to pony up the $600 for an iPhone either, but more importantly, most everyone has a cellphone by now, and downloadable music for your cell, iPod, or PC/laptop has been around for 5-6 years now. It’s not new technology.
So, considering the time CD’s took to become a mainstream medium, and that the majority of the public already has a mobile device capable of downloading music in their hands already, iTunes & downloadable music have had more than enough time to make more of an impact than it has, and although it has been significant, certainly not enough impact to make any dent in the amount of lost sales of CD’s.

If you notice I haven’t yet to fathom a guess on any particular music style emerging or the next upcoming “thing”.
The point being that since the industry has simply lost the strict control on distribution, its anyone’s guess on what will be the next breakout trend. Like so many genes in music, a lot will depend on how the public gets to hear it, be it a CD, a downloaded mp3 or some other type of medium, we will have to wait and see.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/07 at 1:52 pm

1986 was about when CDs became mainstream, even if they were pretty expensive. I'd say 1993/'94 is when they equalled tapes, although those still were popular as a secondary format until the early '00s. So in a way, the twenty year thing is correct.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/30/07 at 2:05 pm

I read that CDs made more money than tapes for the first time in 1991, and sold more units in 1992. I think this was for the United States though, and doesn't take in account the CDs and cassettes people still had. I'd say 1993 probably.

Written By: Elizabeth.xox on 07/30/07 at 3:06 pm

I would honestly love to see Glam Rock reign again,but with the artists that are out now they will most likely make a perversion out of it!

Written By: Cool Kev on 08/01/07 at 8:05 pm

Maybe the only thing that can turn anything around is a music revolution, like grunge. Makes sense, as thats about the quickest thing to generate sales.

That's the kinda of answers I'm lookin' for.

I'm trying to get a band started.  Maybe I would be the one to start a musical revolution. ;D 

Written By: popking on 08/01/07 at 9:59 pm

It can't be another grunge, whatever it is, it has to be a combination of multiple old styles to create something new, much in the vein of hip hop or grunge itself. Grunge was really a modern take on classic rock mixed with a little bit of metal.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 11:05 pm

I'm not sure how likely this is, but I'd love for easygoing pop ballads to make a major mainstream comeback (i.e. "One More Night" by Phil Collins, "The World I Know" by Collective Soul, "Rush Rush" by Paula Abdul, "The Flame" by Cheap Trick and tons more).

I guess for a rock revolution, anything inspired by classic rock with a new spin on it.

Written By: Tam on 08/02/07 at 2:20 pm

Here is the thing:

One cannot predict what music genre will be next as it hasn't even been named yet.
I'm sure there was someone in the 80's saying "man, the next genre of music is going to come out of Seattle, and it will be called grunge!" If there was such a person I would like to meet them cause they could make me rich!

Grunge I prefer to metal because it was pure rock and roll, albeit modernized, while I think the 2010s can't be more of the same, there willl definitely be some very grungy influences, and new bands can create something new out of using something old, the way it always is done. With the music market revitalized, more money will come, meaning more acts getting signed. Add in a 2000s backlash, which is what will most likely happen, and whatever new style of music emerges will seem like a big cultural shift. You'll definitely see other styles shift along side rock music, like r&b, rap and pop. I think rap music will go back to the gritty, social commentary style of the 80s and 90s and some of the pre-gangsta colorful clothing and flat top styles may come back. It'll all be apart of a much larger backlash against 2000s culture. How big, nobody reallly knows, but culture shifts in the vein of Nevermind will still happen. And I don't believe the album will ever die.

This is typical of ever single decade! This statement sums up what we already know about the music industry. Notice how the genre "grunge" really doesn't exist anymore? They are all classed into alternative now. Held on into the 2000's as well - it never disappeared, it was just renamed. Music is ever evolving and always will be.

Please note Cool Kev, creator of this thread, and popking creator of similar threads - decadology threads have little support around here and are more times then naught viewed as spam and will be treated as such.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/02/07 at 2:24 pm

Here is the thing:

One cannot predict what music genre will be next as it hasn't even been named yet.
I'm sure there was someone in the 80's saying "man, the next genre of music is going to come out of Seattle, and it will be called grunge!" If there was such a person I would like to meet them cause they could make me rich!

This is typical of ever single decade! This statement sums up what we already know about the music industry. Notice how the genre "grunge" really doesn't exist anymore? They are all classed into alternative now. Held on into the 2000's as well - it never disappeared, it was just renamed. Music is ever evolving and always will be.

Please note Cool Kev, creator of this thread, and popking creator of similar threads - decadology threads have little support around here and are more times then naught viewed as spam and will be treated as such.

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

Written By: Cool Kev on 08/07/07 at 9:10 am

uppin

Written By: McDonald on 08/07/07 at 1:06 pm

I hate to sound nombrilistic here, but if  you want a good music scene, all you have to do is look to Canada and turn on CBC Radio3. The Canadian indie scene is producing some major talent, a lot of which is actually making waves elsewhere. The music situation here is unique because small record labels with good talent can get cultural grants to help them promote their groups and release albums and tour.

Seriously, go to radio3.cbc.ca and you'll have access to a treasure trove of great music, all for free as well. Take a look.

Written By: popking on 08/07/07 at 3:01 pm

I think with the digitalization and shorter attention spans of the younger generations we may be moving forward to a time when artists release a constant stream of a songs rather than albums. Thats actually an entertaining idea, because it would be easier to keep up to date on what an artist is doing, rather than having to wait 2-3 years for an album. File sharing is the best way to do this.

Written By: Tam on 08/07/07 at 3:06 pm

I think with the digitalization and shorter attention spans of the younger generations we may be moving forward to a time when artists release a constant stream of a songs rather than albums. Thats actually an entertaining idea, because it would be easier to keep up to date on what an artist is doing, rather than having to wait 2-3 years for an album. File sharing is the best way to do this.

You have deleted your other posts and now have changed your stance on the topic at hand. What gives?

Written By: popking on 08/07/07 at 3:27 pm

because I'm entitled to change my mind if I ponder something over and its none of your business. Someone else made a good point and it changed my mind.

Written By: Tam on 08/07/07 at 3:34 pm

because I'm entitled to change my mind if I ponder something over and its none of your business.

I never said you weren't entitled to change your mind - I was asking why you deleted your original posts and changed your stance.
Members here change their minds if they like, but hardly ever do you see their original post wiped clean. 9 times out of 10 you will even see them say 'you know, you are right, that makes me think...."

As for it being none of my business - have a look at my profile and try again.

Written By: popking on 08/07/07 at 3:35 pm

i saw it before i responded, i just thought it was over zealous. I haven't been here long so I assumed I could delete my original posts without being questioned. anyway if someone else doesn't like it I won't do it again, if it interrupts the flow of conversation.

Written By: Tam on 08/07/07 at 3:42 pm

i saw, i just thought it was over zealous. I haven't been here long so I assumed I could delete my original posts without being questioned.

It wasn't meant to be over-zealous. I was honestly asking. Had to be sure they weren't deleted because of inflammatory things.....

Written By: popking on 08/07/07 at 3:43 pm

Oh ok, then you were right to do so. ;D Nope no inflammatory remarks.

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 7:17 pm

because I'm entitled to change my mind if I ponder something over and its none of your business. Someone else made a good point and it changed my mind.

Thing is that when you delete your other posts, people who view these posts see people who have qouted you, but wonder where that post is, and then they get all confused

Written By: popking on 08/07/07 at 9:02 pm

Yeah true, it messes with the flow of conversation. I won't do it anymore.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/08/07 at 7:34 pm

Indeed, we need some kind of "musical revolution", but I think its too late for this decade, its more than half over, and probably wouldnt be very memorable.  Hopefully in the 2010's we'll see some REAL music and not this emo "waaa I wish someone loved me" garbage that people are trying to pass of as music these days.  I mean, I want to see REAL rock music come back.  Like how rock was in the 70's.  when Led Zeppelin was in town playing, EVERYONE would go see them.  They were a major band everyone (or atleast most people) loved, and they played good music.  Ofcoure, Zeppelin wasnt the only one, there were tons of great bands.  I want music like that to come back.

Written By: analogue on 08/14/07 at 9:14 am

Indeed, we need some kind of "musical revolution", but I think its too late for this decade, its more than half over, and probably wouldnt be very memorable.  Hopefully in the 2010's we'll see some REAL music and not this emo "waaa I wish someone loved me" garbage that people are trying to pass of as music these days.   I mean, I want to see REAL rock music come back.  Like how rock was in the 70's.  when Led Zeppelin was in town playing, EVERYONE would go see them.  They were a major band everyone (or atleast most people) loved, and they played good music.  Ofcoure, Zeppelin wasnt the only one, there were tons of great bands.  I want music like that to come back.

Damn right

Written By: Cool Kev on 08/15/07 at 12:12 am

I can't see why people listen to emo music, it's horrid.

Written By: analogue on 08/15/07 at 2:44 am

I can't see why people listen to emo music, it's horrid.

I know what you mean. I actually have more respect for boybands

Check for new replies or respond here...