inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Prince also a 90s artist?

Written By: popking on 07/29/07 at 2:54 pm

The height of his popularity was definitely the 1980s but it carried through to the 90s. He had multiple hit singles in the 90s.  Before that whole warner bros fallout and the strange name changing. The Diamonds and Pearls album was a big hit on the charts in 1991/92. Cream and 7 were hit singles too. The Most Beautiful Girl in the World was a big hit in 94.

Subject: Re: Prince also a 90s artist?

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/29/07 at 3:10 pm

I've thought about this, too. I think he at least was a very big influence on the sounds of the decade, especially the early '90s, with his hip-hop flavored dance/pop-rock. As a matter of fact, there's probably hardly any musical styles he hasn't taken on. Yeah, the Diamonds and Pearls album did seem like his attempt to fully "go Nineties".

Even his earlier work was quite ahead of its time. "Little Red Corvette" sounds like power pop from 1989 more than 1983. Same for dance-heavy album tracks like "Automatic".

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/07 at 7:25 pm

Why wouldn't Prince be a 90s artist?  I know here in Canada, he had some of his biggest hits in the 90s.  'Cream' is still my favourite, and to be honest, the only Prince song I would call a bona fide favourite of mine.  The rest of his songs are good, but nothing I'd go out of my way to hear

Written By: Satish on 07/29/07 at 10:23 pm

Well, I definitely see him as an 80s artist. He might have had a few hits in the 90s, with songs like "Cream" and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", but really, the bulk of his important material was produced in the 80s.

Written By: robby76 on 07/30/07 at 3:21 am

I'd definitely say Prince is very much a 90s artist.

Don't forget Diamonds & Pearls, Thieves In The Temple etc for the early 90s... and The Most Beautiful Girl in 1994 (which got to no 1 in the UK charts).

Written By: nally on 07/30/07 at 11:37 am

Of course he was a 90s artist! First he had a new band called the New Power Generation (with hits like "Cream", "Seven", and "My Name Is Prince")... and then he was known as "Symbol Thingy" beginning in 1994. ::)

Written By: Doc Brown on 07/30/07 at 5:33 pm

Of course he was a 90s artist! First he had a new band called the New Power Generation (with hits like "Cream", "Seven", and "My Name Is Prince")... and then he was known as "Symbol Thingy" beginning in 1994. ::)

I agree with nally, Prince was at least an early 90's artist, my favorite song from the NPG era being "Diamonds And Pearls", but by the mid-90's he was rebelling against his record company and stopped calling himself Prince. First he was "The Artist Formerly Known As Prince", then he became "The Artist", then that ridiculous symbol. If he didn't get out of his contract, I think sooner or later he'd just say, "Here's A Song." :D

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 1:56 am

Prince is also a 2000s artist, currently performing concerts in London.

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:00 am

That whole symbol thingy was dumb, cause everyone just called him "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince", which would mean that is the official name of that symbol :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/17/07 at 2:01 am

I was calling him back then "Squiggle"

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:25 am

I was calling him back then "Squiggle"

;D

Written By: nally on 08/17/07 at 3:04 pm

That whole symbol thingy was dumb, cause everyone just called him "The Artist Formerly Known as Prince", which would mean that is the official name of that symbol :D

which was also shortened to an acronym, TAFKAP. ::) Which in turn was pointless because he later went back to simply being "Prince."

Written By: Henk on 08/17/07 at 3:34 pm

I would say Prince definitely qualifies for being an 1990s artist, yes.

Over here, Prince has had 20 Top 40 hits in the 1990s. That's exactly equal to the number of hits he has had in the 1980s (although those might have been just a little bit bigger, on average).

Written By: tv on 08/18/07 at 7:30 pm

Well, I definitely see him as an 80s artist. He might have had a few hits in the 90s, with songs like "Cream" and "The Most Beautiful Girl in the World", but really, the bulk of his important material was produced in the 80s.
Yes I think "The Most Beautiful Girl in The World" was a hit in 1994 and went Top 5 on the Billboard Hot 100 however Prince didn't really do anything after the "Most Beautiful Girl In The World" that a made smash on the Billboard Charts. I would have to say Prince has 1991-1994 cred as far as the 90's decade goes musically but thats it.

Written By: whistledog on 08/18/07 at 7:53 pm

I am lazy to post all the hits, but for the 1990s, here's Prince's total Top 40 hit count for North America and the UK ...

UK - 23 Top 40 hits (21 if you don't include the two re-releases of 1999)
CANADA - 16 Top 40 hits
USA - 11 Top 40 hits (10 if you don't include the re-release of 1999)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/19/07 at 8:40 pm

He is mostly a 80's artist.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/20/07 at 10:11 am

Will Prince still be an artist when he reaches 90?

Written By: nally on 08/20/07 at 5:28 pm

Will Prince still be an artist when he reaches 90?

That'll be in the year 2048.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/20/07 at 5:32 pm

he released more albums in the 90's than in the 80's, so i'd say most defintely.

Check for new replies or respond here...