inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short-Lived TV Shows of the 90s

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 10:14 pm

A brief series run, a short lived run, maybe cancelled after only a few episodes.  There were lots of Short-Lived TV Shows of the 90s.  Any favourites?

Remember Camp Wilder?  It ran only half a season (1992-1993) and starred Jerry O'Connell, Jay Mohr, and Hilary Swank.  I used to watch it.  Shame it never quite caught on :(

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6308/campwilderzh3.png

Subject: Re: Short-Lived TV Shows of the 90s

Written By: audkal on 07/30/07 at 10:22 pm

From what I remember, The Critic was decent.  But it only had 2 seasons. :-\\

http://img.search.com/thumb/4/41/TheCritic2.jpg/180px-TheCritic2.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 10:24 pm

One of my all-time favourites was Nurses.  It was a spin-off from Empty Nest (which in turn was a Spin-off from Golden Girls) and became a short-lived success, running for only 3 seasons (1991-1994).

The clip in that link is from Season 1.  David Rasche (of Sledge Hammer! fame) joined the cast for the final 2 seasons, playing a slimy ex-convict who was forced to do community service within the hospital.  His mumbling sarcasm was hilarious! ;D

http://img53.imageshack.us/img53/8871/nurses41945ut8.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 10:26 pm

I remember The Critic.  I never watched it regularly though, but I remember they crossed him over into some episodes the Simpsons

Written By: audkal on 07/30/07 at 10:28 pm

I remember The Critic.  I never watched it regularly though, but I remember they crossed him over into some episodes the Simpsons

Yeah I remember that too. ;D I think that episode was--The Simpsons at a film festival or something.

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/07 at 10:55 pm

Here's more ...

P.S.I. Luv U
ran half a season (1991-1992)

Starred Greg Evigan and Connie Selleca as a policeman and a con woman who were placed in a witness protection program as a husband and wife team posing as Private Detectives

http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5827/ps6wx7.jpg

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 2:08 am

The Heights (1992).

It's about these friends from different backgrounds forming a band. I think it aired for less than half a season. The theme song, "How Do You Talk to an Angel" was played quite a bit on radio during this show's run. I actually liked this show, but even at that time I had a feeling the show was going to be cancelled soon.

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 3:09 am

^ Loved that show!  That song was #1 across North America 8)

---------------------

Here's a long forgotten show ...

MARRIED PEOPLE
Ran for half a season during 1990-1991

http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/4210/marriedpeoplexj2.png

A sitcom starring Jay Thomas about the lives of 3 couples who lived in a New York City apartment building.  I actually watched this show all the time.  I remembered Jay Thomas from 'Mork and Mindy', 'Cheers' and 'Murphy Brown', so I knew this show would be great.  I liked it, but I guess the nielsen families did not :(

Chris Young (who played Buck in the 1988 movie 'The Great Outdoors') also co-starred

Written By: McDonald on 07/31/07 at 9:18 am

The Heights (1992).

It's about these friends from different backgrounds forming a band. I think it aired for less than half a season. The theme song, "How Do You Talk to an Angel" was played quite a bit on radio during this show's run. I actually liked this show, but even at that time I had a feeling the show was going to be cancelled soon.

I remember when the guy who sang that song was an actor on Beverly Hills 90210, where he actually did sing songs, perhaps even that one. He played a boyfriend of Donna's, who beat her up. I think his name may have been Jamie in the show, but I'm not 100% on that.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 11:41 am

One of my favorite shows of the 90s that I upset that it cancelled after about 3 seasons: Grace Under Fire.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 1:04 pm

One of my favorite shows of the 90s that I upset that it cancelled after about 3 seasons: Grace Under Fire.

Cat

I was just watching that.  It actually ran for 112 episodes over 5 seasons.  It needs to come to DVD big time :)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 2:27 pm

I was just watching that.  It actually ran for 112 episodes over 5 seasons.  It needs to come to DVD big time :)

5 seasons? Really? I guess I thought that they took it off too soon that it seemed shorter. I still love it.

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 2:52 pm

5 seasons? Really? I guess I thought that they took it off too soon that it seemed shorter. I still love it.

Cat

The show probably could have lasted longer than 5 seasons, but I remember hearing about the press surrounding the show about how Brett Butler wanted more creative control which led to friction between the cast members.  Julie White, the woman who played Nadine left because of it, which in turn killed the good story line between her and Wade.  It just wasn't the same :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 2:56 pm

The show probably could have lasted longer than 5 seasons, but I remember hearing about the press surrounding the show about how Brett Butler wanted more creative control which led to friction between the cast members.  Julie White, the woman who played Nadine left because of it, which in turn killed the good story line between her and Wade.  It just wasn't the same :(

Could be. It seems like neither one of them did anything since the show died.

Cat

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 3:01 pm

A brief series run, a short lived run, maybe cancelled after only a few episodes.  There were lots of Short-Lived TV Shows of the 90s.  Any favourites?

Remember Camp Wilder?  It ran only half a season (1992-1993) and starred Jerry O'Connell, Jay Mohr, and Hilary Swank.  I used to watch it.  Shame it never quite caught on :(

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/6308/campwilderzh3.png

I vaguely remember that one.

The Heights (1992).

Yes, I remember that one...I used to love that song.

Do you guys remember the show, Get A Life,starring Chris Elliott?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6199/get1cr2.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 3:06 pm

Could be. It seems like neither one of them did anything since the show died.

Cat

Julie White has done alright.  She was on 'Six Feet Under' and 'Law and Order: SVU', can currently be seen in the 'Transformers' movie and is also seen in Promos for the new ABC Sitcom 'Cavemen' which I can see getting cancelled lol

Casey Sander, the guy that played Wade had a recurring role on 'Las Vegas' as well as a famous recurring role as Rock, one of the boys of K&B Construction on 'Home Improvement'

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 3:37 pm

Julie White has done alright.  She was on 'Six Feet Under' and 'Law and Order: SVU', can currently be seen in the 'Transformers' movie and is also seen in Promos for the new ABC Sitcom 'Cavemen' which I can see getting cancelled lol

Casey Sander, the guy that played Wade had a recurring role on 'Las Vegas' as well as a famous recurring role as Rock, one of the boys of K&B Construction on 'Home Improvement'

Little do I know. That's what happens when you stop watching a lot of t.v. because most of what they show suck. (Not ALL but most).

Cat

Written By: coqueta83 on 07/31/07 at 5:42 pm

I remember when the guy who sang that song was an actor on Beverly Hills 90210, where he actually did sing songs, perhaps even that one. He played a boyfriend of Donna's, who beat her up. I think his name may have been Jamie in the show, but I'm not 100% on that.

That's right! Jamie Walters was on 90210, I believe for a season or two.

Do you guys remember the show, Get A Life,starring Chris Elliott?

http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/6199/get1cr2.jpg

I remember this one....it was about a guy in his 30's living in his parent's garage and has a paper route. It was OK.

Anybody remember Herman's Head, from the early 90's? I think it was on for a couple of seasons (maybe more).

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/31/07 at 5:46 pm

Anybody remember Herman's Head, from the early 90's? I think it was on for a couple of seasons (maybe more).

I remember Herman's Head. I liked that show. I thought it was cute. Yardley Smith (voice of Lisa Simpson) was on that and I remember one episode, she was on the phone and said, "I DON'T sound like Lisa Simpson!"

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 07/31/07 at 5:54 pm

I watched Herman's Head religiously.  The guy that played the smart one inside Herman's Head is in alot of commercials and bit parts on TV shows.  That snobbish blonde who played Heddy also played Ross' lesbian ex-wife on 'Friends'

The guy that played Mr. Crawford was such a moron he cracked me up ;D  He passed away a whole ago :\'(

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/31/07 at 10:39 pm

Well I have to put these two:

The Adventures of Pete & Pete
http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.tvsquad.com/media/2006/11/pete-and-pete.jpg

It only ran for 3 seasons (I guess season 1 and 2 are out on DVD..but they said that they might not release season 3).

Salute Your Shorts
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9gnMiQ9ALBGXFsB5RWjzbkF/SIG=12jbcenql/EXP=1186025917/**http%3A//i13.photobucket.com/albums/a292/directorxr18/Salute2.jpg

Here's a neat little website about the show, Salute Your Shorts.

http://www.public.iastate.edu/~spires/Camp/

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:42 am

I remember "Sinbad" had his own show and was in fact called "Sinbad" after he left "Its A Different World" in which he adopted a couple kids(I think a brother-sister combo) but that show did not last long. I remember this show called "Joe's Life": it was quickly cancelled I think. "Joe's Life" was  basically in 80's(1987-1988 style) sitcom that came you too late if you will because TV trends did change in 1993-1994 from what it was in the 80's.

Written By: tv on 08/01/07 at 8:51 am

No, Jamie Walter's character on "Berverly Hills 90210" was named "Ray Pruitt".

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/01/07 at 11:30 am

The Heights (1992).

On an off note, that's one of my favorite songs. It sounds like a power ballad made over for the '90s. I actually thought The Heights was the name of the band, I forgot that it was a series, lol. That song survived on the radio through the mid-late '90s, but I hardly hear it anymore.

One shortlived show I liked was Kirk Cameron's semi comeback, just called Kirk which was on for about one season c. 1996.

Written By: woops on 08/02/07 at 11:31 pm

my screen name shares a name with a bad sitcom that lsted half a season

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/07 at 3:50 pm

Soul Man
Boston Common

Both had Anthony Clark who just cracked me up.

Cat

Written By: nally on 08/04/07 at 3:56 pm

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but...

Baby Talk

It was a sitcom that ran on ABC during their "TGIF" on Friday evenings, during the 1991-92 season. It starred Mary Page Keller as a single mother with a young son (whose thoughts were voiced off-camera by Tony Danza), and Scott Baio was in the show too. The theme music was a variation of the Newbeats' 1960s hit "Bread & Butter" (same tune, different lyrics).

Written By: woops on 08/04/07 at 7:13 pm

"Capitol Critters", basically cartoon mice and roaches. Though vaugely remember

I liked the tv show "Wierd Science", based on the movie, in the mid 1990's and "Duckman".

Written By: whistledog on 08/04/07 at 8:11 pm

Soul Man
Boston Common

Cat

I loved both those shows.  Anthony Clark is hilarious.  His best role was Greg Warner on 'Yes, Dear'

Written By: audkal on 08/04/07 at 10:08 pm

Oh yeah, we have an episode of that on tape--it's kinda cute. ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/07 at 1:08 pm

I loved both those shows.  Anthony Clark is hilarious.  His best role was Greg Warner on 'Yes, Dear'

I have never seen "Yes, Dear".  :-[

Cat

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/07 at 5:05 pm

I have never seen "Yes, Dear".  :-[

Cat

You should.  It's one funny show :)

Assuming the betworks haven't changed line-ups, it's on back to back at 4-5PM EST on TBS

Written By: McDonald on 08/05/07 at 10:32 pm

No, Jamie Walter's character on "Berverly Hills 90210" was named "Ray Pruitt".

Bingo! I knew there was a Jamie somewhere though. Guess it turns out that's his real name. Yeah, I watched that show religiously as a pre-teen. I still watch it online from time to time. He did sing that song 'Hold On' on the show though. That I do remember.

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/07 at 10:35 pm

Bingo! I knew there was a Jamie somewhere though. Guess it turns out that's his real name. Yeah, I watched that show religiously as a pre-teen. I still watch it online from time to time. He did sing that song 'Hold On' on the show though. That I do remember.

90210 airs daily on TVTropolis.  First at 5pm, and later at night, but I forget what time.  It's so much fun seeing that show again 8)

Written By: nally on 08/06/07 at 12:06 am

I remember that program too. It was on ABC, also during the 1991-92 season. They had it in their TGIF lineup for a little while but then it flopped. I kinda liked watching it because it was an animated comedy, but I don't even remember what it was really about.

Written By: McDonald on 08/06/07 at 11:03 pm

90210 airs daily on TVTropolis.  First at 5pm, and later at night, but I forget what time.  It's so much fun seeing that show again 8)

I don't get TVtropolis 'cause cable's included in the rent, and my landlord is francophone, like most everyone else here. So no anlgo option from Videotron just yet. I get quite a few English channels but most of them suck. I'll give you my anglo line-up.

CBC Montreal
CBC Newsworld
CTV Montreal
Global Quebec
TSN (only for Toronto FC, hockey, and the occasional bit of curling)
Rogers Sportsnet (same as above)
TLC (I hate this channel)
CNN (I hate this channel)
FOX Burlington, VT (only for Seinfeld and Simpsons)
PBS Mountain Lake (Britcoms, of which there are few)
ABC, CBS, NBC (no point in watching any of these channels since I never watched them even when I lived in the US and had no Can Con)
Discovery
Atpn (a bilingual network)

And I think that's about it. So usually, as you can see, I am limited in what I can watch in English. I do speak and understand French, but for the most part, French TV sucks and a lot of it is just English shows dubbed. So apart from the occasional bit of this or that and sometimes Degrassi (Jr.) High dubbed in French, I don't watch Franco TV. I mostly just don't watch TV any more period.

Written By: whistledog on 08/06/07 at 11:25 pm

I don't get TVtropolis 'cause cable's included in the rent, and my landlord is francophone, like most everyone else here. So no anlgo option from Videotron just yet. I get quite a few English channels but most of them suck. I'll give you my anglo line-up.

CBC Montreal
CBC Newsworld
CTV Montreal
Global Quebec
TSN (only for Toronto FC, hockey, and the occasional bit of curling)
Rogers Sportsnet (same as above)
TLC (I hate this channel)
CNN (I hate this channel)
FOX Burlington, VT (only for Seinfeld and Simpsons)
PBS Mountain Lake (Britcoms, of which there are few)
ABC, CBS, NBC (no point in watching any of these channels since I never watched them even when I lived in the US and had no Can Con)
Discovery
Atpn (a bilingual network)

And I think that's about it. So usually, as you can see, I am limited in what I can watch in English. I do speak and understand French, but for the most part, French TV sucks and a lot of it is just English shows dubbed. So apart from the occasional bit of this or that and sometimes Degrassi (Jr.) High dubbed in French, I don't watch Franco TV. I mostly just don't watch TV any more period.

Dang, those are slim pickens.  No MuchMusic, MusiquePlus or TVA?

Written By: McDonald on 08/07/07 at 12:59 pm

Dang, those are slim pickens.  No MuchMusic, MusiquePlus or TVA?

Oh I get all the major French channels. The pickens are slim with the English ones though. That's all.

Written By: whistledog on 08/07/07 at 5:00 pm

Here's a mysterious short-lived one ...

L.A. Doctors (Ran 1 season of 24 episodes in the 1998-1999 season)

Dramatic series about 4 Doctors running a practice in Los Angeles.  The show focused on the problems within the American Medial System and starred Ken Olin, Rick Roberts, Sheryl Lee and Canadian actor Matt Craven.  What makes this short-lived show so mysterious?  It WON the People's Choice Award for favourite new dramatic series, and was nominated for a TV Guide Award for Favourite New Series.  To celebrate the show's success, CBS decided to cancel it.  Was that a mistake? Yes.  Are the people who run CBS smart? No

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/08/07 at 3:40 pm

Does anyone remember the show Roar? It was created by Shawn Cassidy (yes, David's little brother).

Cat

Written By: woops on 08/08/07 at 3:49 pm

"Ben Stiller Show" on Fox, though only saw on Comedy Central some years ago

Though I was more into "Tiny Toons" at the time

Written By: Silversword55 on 08/08/07 at 6:31 pm

I still remember VR Troopers. Also Animaniacs, Pinky & the brain, Tiny Toon, and all others

Written By: bastid5150 on 08/09/07 at 8:13 am

I really liked "Life's Work" starring Lisa Ann Walter  :o and Michael O'Keefe (1996-1997)

Written By: snozberries on 08/09/07 at 9:41 pm

been watching On Our Own with the 6 Smollett children and Ralph Harris as their big brother( ???)  It sucked

My So-Called Life
Freaks & Geeks premired in 99
Brooklyn Bridge
Action
2000 Malibu Road
Relativity
Working Girl series based on the movie starring Sandra Bullock... Sandy was in the series Melanie Griffith in the movie...
Apparently there is a pilot for Adventures in Babysitting; I am dying to see it...

The Secret World of Alex Mack apparrently aired for 4 seasons but it seems shorter
My Secret Identity
Sliders also went longer than I thought
Lois and Clark.... I know it got 4 seasons but I really wanted to know what happened with the baby that landed on their door step in the last episode!

Written By: whistledog on 08/09/07 at 10:13 pm

My Secret Identity

^ My Secret Identity was short-lived (3 seasons; 1988-1991), but it was very popular and was cancelled way too soon :(

Not many people know this but it was a Canadian series; Jerry O'Connell was the only American actor in the main cast

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/07 at 6:06 pm

Anyone remember 'The Hat Squad'?

It ran for 12 episodes on CBS during the 1992 season

http://www.nestorserrano.de/hatsquad.jpg

It starred Billy Warlock, Nestor Serrano and Don Michael Paul as a trio of foster brothers whose parents were cops killed in the line of duty.  Together with the help of their foster dad (played by James Tolkan), they fight crime under an elite crime fighting force known as 'The Hat Squad' while simultaneously trying to track down those who killed their birth parents. 

Warlock, who had a co-starring role on 'Baywatch', left that series when he was offered The Hat Squad

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/07 at 6:15 pm

Another one ...

'The Pointman'
(2 seasons in the 1995 season; 22 episodes)

http://www.port.ro/picture/instance_2/28250_2.jpg

Jack Scalia starred as Connie Harper, an owner of a Florida Beach Resort, who aids people in need with the use of "the A List", a last resort assistance.  According to the internet, it ran on the now defunct 'Prime Time Entertainment Network', but I remember watching it on FOX during Sunday afternoon

Written By: snozberries on 09/02/07 at 9:51 am

It starred Billy Warlock, Nestor Serrano and Don Michael Paul as a trio of foster brothers whose parents were cops killed in the line of duty.  Together with the help of their foster dad (played by James Tolkan), they fight crime under an elite crime fighting force known as 'The Hat Squad' while simultaneously trying to track down those who killed their birth parents. 

Warlock, who had a co-starring role on 'Baywatch', left that series when he was offered The Hat Squad

Another one ...

'The Pointman'
(2 seasons in the 1995 season; 22 episodes)

http://www.port.ro/picture/instance_2/28250_2.jpg

Jack Scalia starred as Connie Harper, an owner of a Florida Beach Resort, who aids people in need with the use of "the A List", a last resort assistance.  According to the internet, it ran on the now defunct 'Prime Time Entertainment Network', but I remember watching it on FOX during Sunday afternoon

Wow these are quite obscure... I don't even remember them.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/03/07 at 7:52 pm

Soul Man
Boston Common

Cat

Boston Common was a funny show... I loved Boyd on that show! :)

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 2:26 pm

I vaguely remember it; I only heard about it via pro-mo's on CBS while watching "The Price Is Right". Never watched it, so I didn't know that it got canned so quickly.

Written By: Marian on 10/28/07 at 3:47 pm

I liked Brimstone.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/28/07 at 11:07 pm

I liked Brimstone.

I never heard of that show... drama or comedy???

Written By: Hakkinen on 10/30/07 at 4:53 am

ooh yeah My Secret Identity was a great show. Loved it back in 89/90.

Some other 90s shows i missed - "Dream On" and "Parker Lewis Cant Lose". Both were good - though didnt last that long.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/07 at 3:59 pm

There was the show starring Gene Wilder, called "Something Wilder." I watched a few of the episodes and it wasn't too bad. I guess it only ran from 1994-1995. Seemed like it had a longer run than that, though.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/30/07 at 4:17 pm

What about that show with Jennifer Anniston. It was a comedy sketch show on Fox, I believe called "The Edge." It ran from 1992-1993.
It was fun to watch.

Written By: woops on 10/30/07 at 7:14 pm

"Weird Science"  :D

Written By: whistledog on 11/05/07 at 12:49 am

"Weird Science"  :D

That ran for 5 seasons

One I also remember was an NBC sitcom called 'Working' which starred Fred Savage as a young office worker in an office building.  It ran 2 seasons (1997-1999).  This show had one of the funniest gags ever ...

In one of the episodes' prologues, Savage is in an elevator going to the floor he works on, and one after the other, all these different types of people come on, and for each person that comes on, the elevator music changes to fit their profile.  A cowboy gets on, and you hear country music.  An indian gets on, and you hear indian music.  And each time the music changed, Savage got this startled look that was hilarious ;D

Written By: nally on 11/06/07 at 6:29 pm

Some other 90s shows i missed - "Dream On" and "Parker Lewis Cant Lose". Both were good - though didnt last that long.

I remember watching the first couple episodes of Parker Lewis...they aired on Thursday nights right after the Simpsons (which aired on Thursdays from mid-1990 until 1994). How many seasons did "PLCL" last? ???

Written By: whistledog on 11/06/07 at 6:39 pm

I remember watching the first couple episodes of Parker Lewis...they aired on Thursday nights right after the Simpsons (which aired on Thursdays from mid-1990 until 1994). How many seasons did "PLCL" last? ???

73 episodes over 3 seasons between 1990-1993.  That's actualyl longer than I thought.  I remember when the show was on, but I remembered it not being successful.  Was I wrong LOL

Written By: nally on 11/07/07 at 1:07 pm

73 episodes over 3 seasons between 1990-1993.  That's actualyl longer than I thought.  I remember when the show was on, but I remembered it not being successful.  Was I wrong LOL

3 seasons... that's longer than I remembered too. I just know that I kinda lost track after the first season, when I was watching mainly kid-oriented programs (cartoons and stuff).

Written By: McDonald on 11/09/07 at 7:00 pm

That ran for 5 seasons

One I also remember was an NBC sitcom called 'Working' which starred Fred Savage as a young office worker in an office building.  It ran 2 seasons (1997-1999).  This show had one of the funniest gags ever ...

In one of the episodes' prologues, Savage is in an elevator going to the floor he works on, and one after the other, all these different types of people come on, and for each person that comes on, the elevator music changes to fit their profile.  A cowboy gets on, and you hear country music.  An indian gets on, and you hear indian music.  And each time the music changed, Savage got this startled look that was hilarious ;D

I loved that show. I was a huge fan of Fred Savage because of the Wonder Years and I remember being very excited to find out he would be on TV again.

Weird Science was good too, and Canadian I believe.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/09/07 at 7:06 pm

I actually watched "Dream On" for some time, although it was a bit racy for an 8 year to be catching, lol  ;D For some reason, Parker Lewis is something I remember by name, but can't put a face to the people who were in it. It's driving me nuts.. I will have to Google it.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/10/07 at 12:04 pm

I liked The Critic as well. It was going to be on UPN, but it never made it. Too bad.

Written By: yelimsexa on 08/20/16 at 6:20 pm

It's been awhile, but perhaps our newer members can think of some. I'll get you started with a bunch of deep ones:

Drama/Adventure:

Malibu Shores (90210/Melrose Place wannabe that lasted just three months)
Key West
Mercy Point
VR.5 (has a nice kitsch factor like the slightly longer-lived VR Troopers)
Vengeance Unlimited

Sitcoms:

Almost Perfect
Public Morals (Lasted just one episode, but video of it exists online)
Encore! Encore!
Ink (Ted Danson just couldn't come close to what worked on Cheers)
It Had To Be You
Jenny (starring Jenny McCarthy)
Katie Joplin
Lost On Earth
Maggie Winters
Mike O'Malley Show (yes, the former Nickelodeon GUTS host tried it, but was shown the door after just two episodes in September 1999)
Misery Loves Company
Walter & Emily
You're The One (lasted just two episodes)

Game Shows:

Caesar's Challenge
Free 4 All
Quicksilver
Shuffle, Boggle, and Jumble
Scattegories
Rodeo Drive

Other:

Into The Night (Rick Dees tried to launch ABC into a serious late night outlet, but had to wait for Jimmy)
Nick Hit List (remember this newsmagazine that appeared shortly before Nick News?)
Radical Outdoor Challenge

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/16 at 7:54 pm

It's been awhile, but perhaps our newer members can think of some. I'll get you started with a bunch of deep ones:

Drama/Adventure:

Malibu Shores (90210/Melrose Place wannabe that lasted just three months)

I don't remember this but I remember a 6 part series 2000 Malibu Road starring Drew Barrymore and maybe Jennifer Beals and Lisa Hartman heather Locklear or someone like her. I need to go look it up. It was on CBS and produced by Aaron Spelling

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/16 at 7:56 pm

I don't remember this but I remember a 6 part series 2000 Malibu Road starring Drew Barrymore and maybe Jennifer Beals and Lisa Hartman heather Locklear or someone like her. I need to go look it up. It was on CBS and produced by Aaron Spelling

I've been trying to find it for years but haven't had any luck.

Written By: Starlighter on 08/25/16 at 2:35 pm

Jenny (starring Jenny McCarthy)

I didn't watch this, but I do remember the promos.  They were of McCarthy in this musical show type set and she was singing about her new show.

Written By: Howard on 08/25/16 at 3:40 pm

Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1991)
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BYzg0ZjE5MmEtN2Y4NS00OTE0LTgzOTctMWViMzZkNzYzM2JjXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjExODE1MDc@._V1_UY1200_CR185,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Written By: popguru85 on 08/29/16 at 12:27 pm

Ben Stiller had a sketch show on Fox with Janeane Garafolo, Andy Dick, Bob Odenkirk, and occasionally David Cross and a young Judd Apatow was a writer.

Dana Carvey also had a short lived sketch show in the mid 90s along with The State on MTV

Written By: Howard on 08/29/16 at 2:31 pm

Ben Stiller Show

Written By: nally on 06/02/20 at 4:08 pm

Game Shows:

Caesar's Challenge
Free 4 All
Quicksilver
Shuffle, Boggle, and Jumble
Scattegories
Rodeo Drive

I remember "Scattergories" and "Caesar's Challenge", both on NBC on weekday mornings in 1993 (during the 11am hour I think). I would often change the channel over there after Price Is Right was finished.

One other short-lived game show that readily comes to mind is Match Game '90, hosted by Ross Shaffer. It was different from the classic long-running version (which Gene Rayburn had hosted) in the fact that all six panelists played in both rounds, whether or not they matched the contestant's answer in the first round. There was also a special segment, called the Match-Up, in which a phrase with a blank would be shown, with two possible answers underneath it; the contestant would have to go head-to-head with any one panelist, and see how many they could match in a 30-second time limit (45 seconds after the second round). Each correct "match" during a regular round or the Match-Up would earn the contestant 50 points (or 100 in the second round). That programme only lasted one season (it premiered in the summer of 1990, and was canned a year later). It aired weekday mornings at 11am on ABC.

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/02/20 at 4:39 pm

A couple I remember.

Great Scott!
On FOX in fall 1992. Only on for about a month. The last episode was the first thing I watched when FOX started broadcasting in my area. Felt bad that I missed it.

Chevy Chase show
Again only on about a month in 1993. Never got to watch it. People said it was so bad but I bet it was different and I like that.

Written By: nally on 04/05/22 at 11:01 pm

^ My Secret Identity was short-lived (3 seasons; 1988-1991), but it was very popular and was cancelled way too soon :(

Not many people know this but it was a Canadian series; Jerry O'Connell was the only American actor in the main cast

I did not realise those facts either. But I do remember seeing promos for it here in the States.

Check for new replies or respond here...