inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1 documentary on Weird Al from 1992!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 12:12 am

He was on a program they did, called VH1 To One - a career retrospective and semibiography thrown into one, but in a straight, in-depth interview style. He gives some insight on individual songs as well as stories of growing up as well as his career up to that point (even if alot of it is common knowledge now, it's still fun to watch). Everything he says is based in truth, but it's easy to distinguish when he's joking because of his offbeat, exaggerated sense of humor.

Here's the link, it's in 3 parts and is a half-hour long:

http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2mq84_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-1_fun
http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2mv1j_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-2_fun/1
http://www.dailymotion.com/papaboolie/video/x2muyd_vh1-to-one-weird-al-yankovic-part-3_fun/1

Subject: Re: VH1 documentary on Weird Al from 1992!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/02/07 at 10:19 am

Cool video's Marty. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, and always thought VH1 from the '80s, and early '90s was cool.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/02/07 at 1:37 pm

I remember watching one on VH1(post Coolio incident).

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 1:54 pm

Cool video's Marty. I'm a huge Weird Al fan, and always thought VH1 from the '80s, and early '90s was cool.

Yeah, I loved it back then, dude. It was basically a mix of current music and '80s hits, along with softer artists that MTV might've shunned. Even the cutout logo looks quite old-school (better than the painted, double cube one now!). Finding this was an even nicer surprise because I recorded and later lost it. I viewed some of it in a new context, having taken some of his jokey comments seriously the first time! ;D

This show was my main way of learning about artists and bands. While it probably inspired Behind the Music, it didn't have their cheesy narration, lol. I guess the name fits, because you felt like you were really sitting down with them.

Now, if only someone has the Paula Abdul episode too... ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/02/07 at 2:50 pm

I remember seeing something on VH1 several years ago about Weird Al. At first, I didn't recognized him because he shaved off his mustache and he hair was really long. I thought he looked good (once I realized it was him). I may have recorded the show, don't recall.

Cat

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/02/07 at 2:52 pm

^Behind The Music aired in May of 1999 (I still have a copy), that was probably it.

Yeah, I was surprised when he ditched the "classic" mustache and glasses look (sometimes with Hawaiian shirts), but in a way it almost makes him look younger now.

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 10/28/07 at 3:33 am

I remember thinking how 'odd' he looked when he shaved the moustache and grew the long hair, too. Didn't even LOOK like him at first to me!  ???

My son is a HUGE Weird Al fan and has got so many of his albums, I can't even keep track of which ones..in fact, for his b-day this year, our whole family went and saw him in concert. We actually all really enjoyed it. He puts on a very good show! And we were happy to have all of the kids' first concert (at 14, 10, and 5) to be Weird Al's, because it's both fun and family friendly. Even my kindergartener went to school the next day proudly carrying his ticket stub!  ;)

For a lot of the people at the show, White and Nerdy got the biggest reaction, of course..but there were still a few of us that cheered louder for Eat it and Fat  (for which, I might add, he actually came out in the fat suit !  ;D) 

Check for new replies or respond here...