inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Worst Song of 1993: Debbie Gibson "Shock Your Mama"

Written By: woops on 08/03/07 at 1:57 pm

My least favorite song from Deborah Gibson:
http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/body_mind_soul/sym01.gif

Here's the  music video
http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/videos/shock_your_mama/sym3.jpg

I know it flopped, but "Losin' Myself", which is far better, should've been a hit. In the 1990's she became a successful stage actress who appeared in many plays including "Les Miserables", "Grease", "Beauty & The Beast", "Gypsy", and "Funny Girl". She still releases great albums like  "Think With Your Heart" & "Deborah" despite that she isn't mainstream anymore and not taken seriously.

As for the name change to 'Deborah', she never liked the name 'Debbie'  (even as a teen), but her record label wanted her to be called "Debbie". IIf youi notice in her liner notes, it states "Written/produced by Deborah Gibson".

Subject: Re: The Worst Song of 1993: Debbie Gibson "Shock Your Mama"

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 2:16 pm

It's an OK song, but I never much cared for Deb's songs in the 90s.

I must say I am surprised to see you not like a Debbie Gibson song :o

Written By: woops on 08/03/07 at 2:28 pm

Most people have a least favorite song from a favorite artist. Especially the hardcore fans of The Beatles to even the cr@p from Disney Channel have atleast a few dislikes.

"Body Mind Soul" is also  least favorite album from Deborah Gibson, though several songs appeared forced since the label wanted her be more "sexier" and "edgy". Also her last album from the label, which she was dropped after the album flopped. Though there's several great songs like "Losin' Myself", "How Can It Be", "Love Or Lust", "When I Say No", and "Goodbye".

Written By: whistledog on 08/03/07 at 2:38 pm

Most people have a least favorite song from a favorite artist.

This is true yes, but the worst of 1993?  This is the part I find shocking

There are many songs I don't like from artists I do like, but nothing I would call worst of any year

Written By: woops on 08/03/07 at 6:08 pm

I didn't meant to write it was the worst song of 1993. I only wrote that because most people associate Deb with the 1980's despite that she have recorded albums in the 1990's and 2000s.

Written By: tv on 08/09/07 at 3:44 pm

I mean Debbie seems like a nice woman but "Shock Your Mama" does not fit her at all because it sounds like a song that Paula Abdul or Janet Jackson rejected or would have in 1989 or 1990. I mean the choregraphy is good but Debbie playing footsies with the guy under the table is a little too racy for Debbie and and the people in the background using handmotions while she's dancing was very corny. The runway scene is stolen from En Vogue's "Free Your Mind" video and the 2 guys while she is dancing onstage look like the 2 guys in Spaundau Ballet in their music video for their 1983 hit "True".

I could see why the album flopped in replying to one of "Woop's" posts because it just didn;t fit what Debbie is about and yes "Shock Your Mama" does seem very forced on Debbie's part.

I dislike the album cover because Debbie has always been a classy lady and again the album cover does not fit Debbie's image. It looks like the label  tried to turn her image in 1993 to A Madonna 1990 style image and Debbie wearing a chain around her neck like she's a hip-hop artist is kinda laughable. Debbie does llook like herself(classy and elegant)in the photo that woops posted for the video below with the black jacket and black shirt which is underneath the jacket but thats the only part of the video or the song that she's actually being herself.

"Lost In Your Eyes" was her best song in my opinion from the songs I have heard fromher. "Shake Your Love" is ok(for its time) but "Electric Youth(the song) was horrible.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/09/07 at 11:07 pm

^ You know, while I've never been much of a Debbie Gibson fan (sorry woops, lol), I agree with that. It seemed like a laughable attempt to make her image more sexy and '90sified at the same time, so it didn't come off as being believable.

There were late '80s stars who "went Nineties" more gradually. While I never considered Janet Jackson or Paula Abdul to be teenpop (even if that fanbase may have listened to their music, they were more urbanized dance-pop IMO), I think their 1991ish material is a good example of this. Like Paula's "Vibeology" and some of the album tracks on Spellbound had house and slight hip hop influences. Same with Janet's "Love Will Never Do". But it was close enough to their original sound as well.

Then, there were artists like Bryan Adams, Whitney Houston, Sting and Phil Collins who stayed relevant by going more AC.

Written By: woops on 08/09/07 at 11:11 pm

Deborah easily could've been bigger in the adult contemporary charts with her ballads  if they gave her a chance.

"Losin' Myself" is much better and actually pulled it off, though tat's another poll.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/07 at 2:52 am

Released in December 1993 Mr Blobby was the Christmas number one, that was certainly the worse record of 1993.

Written By: whistledog on 08/10/07 at 1:43 pm

Released in December 1993 Mr Blobby was the Christmas number one, that was certainly the worse record of 1993.

LOL @ Mr. Blobby.  Though that wasn't a hit over here, I have heard it, and it is indeed quite awful, but in someways I can see how it was popular

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/07 at 1:47 pm

LOL @ Mr. Blobby.  Though that wasn't a hit over here, I have heard it, and it is indeed quite awful, but in someways I can see how it was popular
The popularity was brought on by Noel Edmunds and his TV show at the time.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/13/07 at 6:52 pm

I guess I failed Debbie Gibson in the '90s because I never heard of this song until now.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 8:17 pm

I wonder how Debbie shocked her mama?

"Hey Mom, guess what?  I'm really a man" :D

Seriously though, this song isn't all that bad.  I actually own the CD to which it appears :-[

Written By: woops on 08/13/07 at 8:20 pm

Oh grow up  ::)

(and I'm much younger)

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/18/07 at 12:14 pm

i like debbie...i have her first 3 albums. but this song, and video, are terrible.......really bad.

actually, the song wouldn't be that bad if they took out the chorus ("shock your mama"), the production was completely different, the melody was different, and it had been song by a better singer.

Check for new replies or respond here...