inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Relive your childhood

Written By: 90skid555 on 08/03/07 at 11:10 pm

how do you relive your childhood ?

Subject: Re: Relive your childhood

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/04/07 at 1:15 am

I don't...As much as I miss my 90's childhood, the past is the past. It's fun to talk about it but I don't see the point of reliving it.

Written By: danootaandme on 08/04/07 at 7:17 am

I wouldn't want to relive my childhood, I have enjoyed every stage of my life, the good has been good, and I learned from the bad, making the good times better.  ;)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/07 at 7:29 am

Well, I guess like it's been said, you can't technically "relive" anything. But I still like the same movies and music I did then, and in an extended progressed kind of way, alot of my basic personality traits or how I tend to view things in the world have stayed the same. So in that sense, they've always felt pretty "close" since I've never really abandoned anything I once liked, even if I've learned stuff along the way.

I've always seen 1989 to 1994 or so (especially centering around '91) as being the perfect meeting point with elements of my childhood and slightly older life. Both with pop culture and personal experiences. Like I was aware enough to grasp the world, but young enough to still be pretty innocent about it. Sure I watched television, but my basis was mostly stuff like America's Funniest Home Videos, VH1 (and sometimes MTV) or a few Simpsons episodes, etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/07 at 8:47 am

^Yeah, its kinda the same way with me too. I pretty much like the same TV shows and music that I've liked since I was 11 or 12, back in 1998 and 1999. I even still watch the cartoons I used to watch sometimes, and I still play NES, SNES, and Genesis all the time too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/07 at 11:09 am

When I get with one of my sisters and we still argue over a little doll that we used to have-each claiming that it was ours. I don't know if she still has that doll but that doesn't stop us from arguing about it. Of course now it is an on-going joke. We both know that it really doesn't matter now but we still argue and laugh about arguing about it.

Cat

Written By: spaceace on 08/04/07 at 11:44 am

You Tube and my classic TV DVD collection.

Written By: audkal on 08/04/07 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, I like a lot of entertainment from the '90s, but I try as much as I can to enjoy my current life and be positive about it.

Written By: spaceace on 08/04/07 at 12:11 pm

Yeah, I like a lot of entertainment from the '90s, but I try as much as I can to enjoy my current life and be positive about it.

I think there has to be a sense of balance.  Don't you think?

Written By: audkal on 08/04/07 at 12:16 pm

I think there has to be a sense of balance.  Don't you think?

Yeah, otherwise if you are stuck in the past too much it's just depressing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/04/07 at 12:52 pm

My childhood was ages ago, I have trouble remembering those day.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/04/07 at 6:08 pm

My childhood was ages ago, I have trouble remembering those day.

Do I know you?  ;) :D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: woops on 08/04/07 at 7:10 pm

I watch cartoons, though only a few stand the test of time and I have a new appreciation for older animation from the theatrical era (ie Looney Tubnes, Disney) since most I've seen were edited or banned from tv.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/05/07 at 5:44 am

Yeah, balance is the best you can do (I think that's true for lots of things). Like you can enjoy the same entertainment or have a similar personality. You can even hold onto childhood traditions like VHS, but if you actually try to pretend it really is the past and not acknowledging you've gotten older or that some things have changed around you, that's when I'd say it might be going too far, lol.

Like I've written on here before, what trips me up the most is the whole "people and things getting older" aspect. Just because the template you've kinda based everything in your life on suddenly isn't as accurate anymore. People do get used to familarity, so when that image starts changing on you, that's kinda unsettling (for me and I imagine lots of you too).

However, as much as I'd like certain aspects of the past to come back (both pop cultural and personal), logically I know it's not gonna happen. So I don't want to get so caught up in the past to where I'd lose sight of what's good in the present.

There could also be a downside to reliving things if you think about it. For example, the ideal "time travelling" for me would be to have future knowledge but get to go back to a point when I was younger, so I could actually re-experience things, even if from a slightly different point of view. Maybe I'd appreciate it even more. However...even if that might be comforting in alot of ways, it could have negatives too. Like if I had my current knowledge, I might be able to detect some of the bad stuff that went a little over my head at the time. And it's like I wouldn't want the rose-tinted view I have of the '80s, early '90s (and maybe up to 1996 in an exnteded sense) to be ruined.

It might even come off as a cheaper, secondary experience of that time. Like when you first see a movie, you're taking in everything at once. Sure, you can pick up more key details when you watch it later, but it doesn't quite have the initial excitement or that special feeling of the first time, either. So I guess it's a tradeoff. ;)

Written By: audkal on 08/05/07 at 10:47 pm

^^

Really couldn't agree more Marty.  Yeah, basically during my mid-teen-crisis I definitely wanted to relive my childhood.  But after awhile I figured...hey, it's never coming back, so what's the point?  I try a lot to be happy and have fun in my new, "adult" life.  And also embrace that fact that I'm getting older and have more responsibilities now. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/07 at 11:25 am

^^

Really couldn't agree more Marty.  Yeah, basically during my mid-teen-crisis I definitely wanted to relive my childhood.  But after awhile I figured...hey, it's never coming back, so what's the point?  I try a lot to be happy and have fun in my new, "adult" life.  And also embrace that fact that I'm getting older and have more responsibilities now. :)

Very true. :) Another positive about getting older is being able to "give back", even if just by helping or entertaining someone. Since so many people have influenced me (real life and celebrities), maybe now it's like our turn to be on the other side of the fence and start doing that for somebody else too?

Written By: audkal on 08/06/07 at 11:30 am

Very true. :) Another positive about getting older is being able to "give back", even if just by helping or entertaining someone. Since so many people have influenced me (real life and celebrities), maybe now it's like our turn to be on the other side of the fence and start doing that for somebody else too?

Exactly--and we should be proud that it is in fact our turn. :)

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/08/07 at 7:28 pm

Heh, about all I do anymore is think about when life was good.  Heck, the 90's were the only part of my life that didnt suck, but I dunno, maybe its cause I was a kid and actually had fun.  Things sure arent like they used to be, all the things that were fun arent fun anymore, most of the things I wanted to do when I got older are either no longer around or not worth doing.  It's probably the only part of my life that wont suck.  These days most TV shows, games, movies, and music suck.  I watch alot of TBS now, since they show alot of stuff I watched as a kid.  But otherwise, I usually just sit and think of a time when life was good.

Written By: sifl on 08/12/07 at 12:34 am

make forts.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/12/07 at 12:52 am

I simply enjoy the movies and television shows I cherished in my childhood.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/07 at 12:53 am

make forts.
Make sandcastles.

Written By: NbC on 08/12/07 at 7:23 am

My childhood wasn't in the 90's but

I look at old photos
I still watch cartoons....wish they would play more vintage cartoons, those were great
I have just gotten into watching old tv clips and music clips on Youtube.  Really brings back memories. 

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/12/07 at 11:52 am

My childhood wasn't in the 90's but

I look at old photos

Same here... :)

I still watch cartoons....wish they would play more vintage cartoons, those were great

Oh yes!  :D

They still show some of them on the Cartoon Network...

I put on Tom & Jerry every morning for my kids to watch before they go to school, and I think they love it just as much as I do!  ;)

Written By: Paul on 08/12/07 at 12:09 pm

Relive my childhood?

In the 90s?  ???

Well, yes...the 1890s, possibly!  ;)

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/12/07 at 12:15 pm

Relive my childhood?

In the 90s?  ???

Well, yes...the 1890s, possibly!  ;)

You're a riot, Paul!  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/07 at 12:26 pm

I've noticed an interesting change on my part recently. For the longest time, when it came to childhood memories, it was all about the '80s. Specifically the time up to 1988 or maybe early '89. That timespan (up until I was about seven and a half) was one of the happiest times of my life, so in some ways I'll probably always hold it in the highest regard. Particularly for cozy family memories, getting into the music, or just it being my introduction to the world.

But just in reviewing old posts I made and my own thoughts over the years, I've really started jumping on the 1989-1993 bandwagon, and maybe 1994 too (I was still only 12, so it technically counts, lol). I've just really started missing the early Nineties as of late, almost painfully so. Maybe it's because I have absolutely crystal clear memories of this time, and in many ways it was transitional between my early childhood and adolescence. I think the fact that it's also beginning to make the jump from being "just a little while ago" to another era (the way the peak '80s started becoming around 1999) that is unsettling to me, making me long for it even more.

No real point to that, just thought it was interesting.

Written By: audkal on 08/13/07 at 12:01 am

I've noticed an interesting change on my part recently. For the longest time, when it came to childhood memories, it was all about the '80s. Specifically the time up to 1988 or maybe early '89. That timespan (up until I was about seven and a half) was one of the happiest times of my life, so in some ways I'll probably always hold it in the highest regard. Particularly for cozy family memories, getting into the music, or just it being my introduction to the world.

But just in reviewing old posts I made and my own thoughts over the years, I've really started jumping on the 1989-1993 bandwagon, and maybe 1994 too (I was still only 12, so it technically counts, lol). I've just really started missing the early Nineties as of late, almost painfully so. Maybe it's because I have absolutely crystal clear memories of this time, and in many ways it was transitional between my early childhood and adolescence. I think the fact that it's also beginning to make the jump from being "just a little while ago" to another era (the way the peak '80s started becoming around 1999) that is unsettling to me, making me long for it even more.

No real point to that, just thought it was interesting.

I've actually kinda noticed myself doing the same thing.  At the start of my nostalgic phase, when I would think of my childhood, I pretty much thought of '93-'97.  Now, I'm starting to remember even later years, up until 2000.  As of now, '01-present is a little scary, but this year hasn't been too bad for me.  I suppose, in another 5 years or so, I'll start loving the '00s--but who knows.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/13/07 at 8:31 am

I've actually kinda noticed myself doing the same thing.  At the start of my nostalgic phase, when I would think of my childhood, I pretty much thought of '93-'97.  Now, I'm starting to remember even later years, up until 2000.  As of now, '01-present is a little scary, but this year hasn't been too bad for me.  I suppose, in another 5 years or so, I'll start loving the '00s--but who knows.

Yeah, lately I've started to miss the late '90s too. I was 10-13 in 1997-2000, and that sort of feels like the last era of my childhood in alot ways. I started High School in 2001, and after that my childhood was really over :(

At first I felt more nostalgic for the 1989-1995 part of my life, but lately I've almost started to miss the late '90s even more.

Check for new replies or respond here...