inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is anyone into Jon Secada?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/05/07 at 6:03 am

Since I've been in a real "early '90s era" mood lately, I watched a few Secada videos and forgot how much I liked his music back in the day. It was sort of unique, romantic pop with a Latin feel. In fact, I always kinda viewed him as a male Gloria Estefan, lol. "Just Another Day" seems to have vaguely survived into the present, but he's got other good songs like "I'm Free" and "If You Go".

This sort of music in general was popular in 1991-1994 and seems very innocent today, but also kinda still fresh too. Maybe because alot of it doesn't get played out on the radio (at least not anymore)?

Subject: Re: Is anyone into Jon Secada?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/05/07 at 6:13 am

Jon Secada had a string of hits in the UK during the mid 90s, but I only really know him for Just Another Day and from this on song I could not get to know his songs better.

It is interesting to learn that he was a backing singer to Gloria Estefan and co-wrote songs with her.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/05/07 at 5:44 pm

I really liked him when "Just Another Day" (the Spanish version ""Otra Día Más Sin Verte") first came out. It reminds me of the Summer of 1992!  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/05/07 at 5:53 pm

I like Jon Secada, and know lots of his songs to hear them, but to be honest, the only one I know by title is 'Just Another Day', which is a song I still love :)

He had far more hits on Billboard's Latin Charts, but here are his mainstream hits ...

1992 - Just Another Day
1992 - Do You Believe in Us
1993 - Angel
1993 - Do You Really Want Me?
1993 - I'm Free
1993 - Dreams That I Carry
1994 - If You Go
1994 - Whipped
1995 - Mental Picture
1995 - Where Do I Go From Here?
1995 - I Never Knew You <w/ Shanice>
1997 - Too Late, Too Soon

Written By: leopren on 08/05/07 at 6:40 pm

Jon  in this days work in Latin American Idol, as a latin version of Paula Abdul

Written By: nally on 08/06/07 at 12:09 am

Oh yeah...I remember listening to his music a lot during the mid-90's. He was one of my favourite musicians from that era. My mom liked his music too; actually, she often listened to it in the car and I caught on. My favorites of his are "If You Go", "Just Another Day" and "Do You Believe In Us?" 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/07 at 11:02 am

Oh yeah...I remember listening to his music a lot during the mid-90's. He was one of my favourite musicians from that era. My mom liked his music too; actually, she often listened to it in the car and I caught on. My favorites of his are "If You Go", "Just Another Day" and "Do You Believe In Us?" 8)

Yeah, I can see that. The early '90s seemed to have much more "adult appealing" music, which is one thing I miss about it. I think my mom liked him too...although, ironically I was the one back then who tended to favor ballads and softer music in the family. Go figure, lol.

Jon  in this days work in Latin American Idol, as a latin version of Paula Abdul

Really? He's a judge on Latin Idol, I didn't know that. 8) In the present sense, I guess that makes him similar to Paula careerwise, so that's cool too. Although if we're talking musically, I always thought she was an urban form of dance-pop (which kinda bridged the '80s and '90s eras) along with a few romantic ballads like "Rush Rush" that equally appealed to the AC crowd...but I won't get into that here. ;D

Written By: nally on 08/06/07 at 11:59 pm

Yeah, I can see that. The early '90s seemed to have much more "adult appealing" music, which is one thing I miss about it. I think my mom liked him too...although, ironically I was the one back then who tended to favor ballads and softer music in the family. Go figure, lol.

You're right...there was lots of "adult appealing" music back then, even some in the early 00's (until about '01 or '02)...but there's really none of that these days. :-\\ I often liked listening to that type of music too; I had a brief stint in 1991/92 when I'd listen to that; in 1996 I regularly listened to Casey Kasem's American Top 20 countdown, which at the time featured artists like Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Eric Clapton, etc., as they had some big hits at the time.

Written By: tv on 08/08/07 at 6:56 am

I like Jon Secada, and know lots of his songs to hear them, but to be honest, the only one I know by title is 'Just Another Day', which is a song I still love :)

He had far more hits on Billboard's Latin Charts, but here are his mainstream hits ...

1992 - Just Another Day
1993 - Angel
1993 - I'm Free
1994 - If You Go
1994 - Whipped
1995 - Mental Picture
What "Where Do I Go From Here" didn;t chart in the US? I remember watching an old epidosde of New York Undercover" a year ago and on that show they always had musicians that were hot at that time(mostly 1994-1996 artists) play at the shows ending performing in a bar setting and they had Jon Secada perform "Where Do Go I From Here".

Did everybodys mom listen to Jon Secada because my Mom did back in the day and she's a baby boomer.

Written By: nally on 08/15/07 at 5:23 pm

Did everybodys mom listen to Jon Secada because my Mom did back in the day and she's a baby boomer.

So is mine...and she listened to his music. She even has two of his albums.

Written By: Midas on 08/15/07 at 10:31 pm

I like "If You Go", "I'm Free" and "Just Another Day".  I re-worked the Album Version of JAD to make a nice DJ-friendly mix.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/16/07 at 5:59 pm

1992 - Just Another Day
1993 - Angel
1993 - I'm Free
1994 - If You Go
1994 - Whipped
1995 - Mental Picture

I bought the CD single to "Angel" thinking it was "Just Another Day," and was somewhat disappointed, but then realised Angel was a fairly pretty song. I still have this single after almost 15 years! Yay!

Written By: whistledog on 08/17/07 at 2:37 am

What "Where Do I Go From Here" didn;t chart in the US?

According to the charts, it didn't

Check for new replies or respond here...