inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: To all the Jersey-ites, anybody remember Action Park?

Written By: 1993 on 08/05/07 at 2:58 pm

The Death Trap/Water Park that somehow stayed open for 18 summers despite a myriad of injuries (some very serious) that seemed to occur daily because of the poorly designed rides.

I was there maybe 5-6 times in between 1987-1994. Never had a serious injury, just a few bumps and bruises. Worst thing that happened to me was a bloodied lip I received from being slammed into a wall while in the over crowded wave pool. And as usual, I knew of a friend of a friend who suffered a severly broken arm and collar bone while crashing down one of the slides. Last time I went was in 94, Summer before I started college. I remember seeing somebody getting rushed out wrapped in a bloody towel, didn't know the extent of his injuries but that image has been imprinted in my mind ever since.

In typical Jersey fashion, the people kept coming and coming, despite knowing how unsafe it was.

It's now called Mountain Creek, and is under new management.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Action_Park

Action Park made adults of a generation of Tri-State Area kids who strolled through its blood-stained gates, by teaching us the truth about life: it is not safe, you will get hurt a lot, and you'll ride all the way home burnt beyond belief.

Action Park was a true rite of passage for any New Jerseyan of my generation. When I get to talking about it with other Jerseyans, we share stories as if we are veterans who served in combat together. I suspect that many of us may have come closest to death on some of those rides up in Vernon Valley. I consider it a true shame that future generations will never know the terror of proving their grit at New Jersey's most dangerous amusement park.

http://www.weirdnj.com/stories/_roadside20.asp

Subject: Re: To all the Jersey-ites, anybody remember Action Park?

Written By: midnite on 04/06/08 at 11:48 pm

Yes. I went to Action Park as a kid once in 1985. I though it was in Pennsylvania. I guess not.  I had no idea that it was so unsafe.  Apparently my parents didn't either.

How about Great Adventure in Jackson, NJ.

Written By: 1993 on 04/17/08 at 4:27 pm

It was actually closer to NY than Pennsylvania, but that whole section of northwester NJ is pretty rural and homogenous.

I've never been much of a roller coaster person.  Doubt I've been to 6 Flags more than 3 times in my entire life (last tim must've been 1998), seems like a watered down Disney World.

Written By: midnite on 04/19/08 at 3:49 pm

It was actually closer to NY than Pennsylvania, but that whole section of northwester NJ is pretty rural and homogenous.

I've never been much of a roller coaster person.  Doubt I've been to 6 Flags more than 3 times in my entire life (last tim must've been 1998), seems like a watered down Disney World.

Six Flags Great Adventure is definitely a dive.  However, everyone from the tri-state area knows it.  LOL.

Check for new replies or respond here...