inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have '90s songs started disappearing from the radio?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/08/07 at 1:16 pm

Maybe it's just where I am, but has anyone else noticed the huge dropoff in songs from radio stations, at least compared to how it was back then? Mostly the "early Nineties era" from about 1989 to 1993/'94.

For awhile I thought it might just be more noticeable because there tended to be one hit wonders, or artists who weren't popular beyond a couple albums. But it seems to be true even for "superstars" like Michael Bolton or Boys II Men who were inescapable at the time. It does seem like the rock songs and some ballads have survived a little better (in terms of datedness and airplay), although this is probably true for every era.

I can't remember the last time I heard "Hey Jealousy", "Opposites Attract", "More Than Words Can Say", "Move This" or "How Do You Talk To An Angel" (among others), and they were all huge hits.

Subject: Re: Have '90s songs started disappearing from the radio?

Written By: audkal on 08/08/07 at 2:26 pm

Overall you're probably right.  I think it depends on what area you're in though, and who's behind the stations you listen to.  I have a station that has a "90s at Noon" hour every weekday, which is pretty cool. 8)  But just on regular listening hours, I do hear some 90s songs from time to time, but it's not that often.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/08/07 at 2:31 pm

Well, considering that the only stations that I tend to listen to are: classic rock and oldies, and country (when I am in the car with Chris and forced to listen to it)...I don't think I would be able to fairly answer that question. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 08/08/07 at 2:38 pm

I listen to a classic hits station, and the odd time they will play some 90s songs, and it's mostly CANCON songs, and alot of the same ones, wich I enjoy cause some o them I haven't really heard played on radio since they were popular in the 90s

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/08/07 at 2:42 pm

Yeah, I think '90s songs have really started to disappear from radio over the last 4-5 years. Most rock stations that don't play exclusively classic rock still play alot of '90s alternative, but stations that play rock and pop hits have started to play alot less '90s music lately. I've also noticed that around here it's not just songs from the 1991-'96 era that are disappearing, but also alot of songs from 1998-2002 as well.

It was one thing when New Kids on the Block and MC Hammer starting receiving less radio airplay, but now the Backstreet Boys, and Creed are too, and it seems like just yesterday when those bands were big. Cant say i'm wild about the '90s suddenly becoming old :-\\

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/09/07 at 4:47 am

Yeah, I think '90s songs have really started to disappear from radio over the last 4-5 years. Most rock stations that don't play exclusively classic rock still play alot of '90s alternative, but stations that play rock and pop hits have started to play alot less '90s music lately. I've also noticed that around here it's not just songs from the 1991-'96 era that are disappearing, but also alot of songs from 1998-2002 as well.

It was one thing when New Kids on the Block and MC Hammer starting receiving less radio airplay, but now the Backstreet Boys, and Creed are too, and it seems like just yesterday when those bands were big. Cant say i'm wild about the '90s suddenly becoming old :-\\

Yeah, rock stations are less trendy than pop. I think the noticeable disappearance of early-mid '90s songs gives the era a little more of a mystique in that it doesn't feel worn out. At least not compared to how other times probably have. Maybe that's why it never really has provoked any true hate, even if some people don't remember it as well anymore?

I still hear boyband songs around here quite a bit, same with Smashmouth, country pop or songs like "Torn", but yeah, it probably is slightly less common. Rather than the actual passing of time, I think we can blame it on clear channel radio. Ever since that happened, more stations have been cutting songs off their playlist and repeating similar ones. I'm sure lots of those would still be around today if it weren't for that, just as '80s music was still very common to hear in, say 1995.

P.S. I like "U Can't Touch This". ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/09/07 at 12:25 pm

P.S. I like "U Can't Touch This". ;)

So do I. I'm not a huge Hammer fan, but I also like "2 Legit 2 Quit"  ;)

I wonder if within the next couple of years we will start hearing '90s music pop up on oldies stations? As scary a thought as it is, you gotta remember that it was about this time a decade ago that the '80s started to become retro. I can recall hearing some '80s music being called oldies as early as 1998 or 1999.

It probably wont be stuff from the late '90s, but I wonder if we'll start to hear early '90s alternative, like STP and Pearl Jam, or maybe R&B from the '90s like Boyz II Men, on oldies stations in say 2009 or 2010.

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/09/07 at 5:36 pm

So do I. I'm not a hug Hammer fan, but I also like "2 Legit 2 Quit"  ;)

I wonder if within the next couple of years we will start hearing '90s music pop up on oldies stations? As scary a thought as it is, you gotta remember that it was about this time a decade ago that the '80s started to become retro. I can recall hearing some '80s music being called oldies as early as 1998 or 1999.

It probably wont be stuff from the late '90s, but I wonder if we'll start to hear early '90s alternative, like STP and Pearl Jam, or maybe R&B from the '90s like Boyz II Men, on oldies stations in say 2009 or 2010.

The thought of 90's music on oldies stations freak me out!  :o I haven't listened to the radio on a regular basis since the early part of this decade. When I do on a rare occasion, I still hear 90's music quite a bit, although less frequently than, say, 2002.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/07 at 5:39 pm

Alternative radio still plays plenty of '90s, I hear Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and other grunge bands on there regularily. Top 40 plays occasional late '90s hip-hop stuff and thats about it (usually ignoring the bubblegum backstreet boys and nsync stuff, I really never hear that on top 40 radio these days, I guess it's too "cheesy' for today's top 40 listeners. Hot A/C plays more '90s flashbacks than top 40 and they will sometimes play your backstreet boys or nsync, though they still focus mostly on the late '90s these days.

Written By: tv on 08/09/07 at 10:36 pm

Alternative radio still plays plenty of '90s, I hear Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and other grunge bands on there regularily. Top 40 plays occasional late '90s hip-hop stuff and thats about it (usually ignoring the bubblegum backstreet boys and nsync stuff, I really never hear that on top 40 radio these days, I guess it's too "cheesy' for today's top 40 listeners. Hot A/C plays more '90s flashbacks than top 40 and they will sometimes play your backstreet boys or nsync, though they still focus mostly on the late '90s these days.
I really don;t hear older N'Sync songs from the late 90's but I do hear the Backstreet Boys's song "As Long As You Love Me" playing sometimemes on the radio.

Written By: tv on 08/09/07 at 10:42 pm

Yeah but Creed was a trendy band that people loved to hate back in the day when they were having success because they were tagged a Pearl Jam rip-off and taking heavy influences from the early to mid 90's grunge eras and watering it down. Creed does fit the 1997-2002 era along with R&B influenced hip-hop.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/09/07 at 10:43 pm

90s songs are still popular on classic hits style "80s, 90s & Whatever" type stations as well as Adult Contemporary stations over here. Modern rock & classic rock play a fair bit to (the former more than the latter). Contemporary Hit Radio (top 40) stations don't touch anything released earlier than 12 months ago. That's about it. And the latter half (1997-1999) gets more play than the earlier years, particularly on Modern rock and AC stations.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/09/07 at 10:48 pm

Something else interesting that I forgot to mention, regarding different cities...here in San Jose and all over the South Bay Area, I've noticed lots of stations have a similar playlist. So much so that I've kinda tended to pick up on which songs they will or won't play (it hasn't much changed over the last 3-5 years).

However, when I went up to the Sacramento area for a mini Summer vacation in 2005 (I lived there from late 1990 to '96...pretty much the Nineties ;) ), I heard a bigger variety of songs than I would back here. Lots of '80s and earlier '90s songs too. I wonder if bigger cities are actually more restrictive since they want to appeal to the masses? I know that's just one example, but it's a possibility.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/10/07 at 7:35 am

Something else interesting that I forgot to mention, regarding different cities...here in San Jose and all over the South Bay Area, I've noticed lots of stations have a similar playlist. So much so that I've kinda tended to pick up on which songs they will or won't play (it hasn't much changed over the last 3-5 years).

However, when I went up to the Sacramento area for a mini Summer vacation in 2005 (I lived there from late 1990 to '96...pretty much the Nineties ;) ), I heard a bigger variety of songs than I would back here. Lots of '80s and earlier '90s songs too. I wonder if bigger cities are actually more restrictive since they want to appeal to the masses? I know that's just one example, but it's a possibility.

I've noticed something similar to that as well. Around here they still play a decent amount of songs from the '80s and '90s, but when we went up to Atlanta a couple of months ago, I didn't hear any at all. That could just be a coincidence but I don't know.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 7:39 am

I've noticed something similar to that as well. Around here they still play a decent amount of songs from the '80s and '90s, but when we went up to Atlanta a couple of months ago, I didn't hear any at all. That could just be a coincidence but I don't know.

Yeah, there's also a bigger turnover in large cities. The formats are always switching around with certain stations around here. Sacramento on the other hand, isn't a small city (around 400,000 people and its suburbs), but is still kinda desolate-ish compared to the San Francisco Bay Area. Yet almost every station felt almost the exact same as when I'd actually lived there. Even the two morning guys on the one pop station I listened to were still there. It was kinda old-school comforting in a way.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/13/07 at 10:16 am

In Chicago at least, there's been an increase in '90s tunes as of late thanks to the trend of "Jack FM", and other radio stations who say they "play anything" or are "in the shuffle".

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/13/07 at 11:35 am

I couldn't believe it...the other day I was flipping through stations and I heard the song,  "U Can't Touch This"....it's just not a typical song that you hear everyday now. :D

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/13/07 at 12:28 pm

That's quite correct...and each big city has their own "tastes" so you will hear certain songs or artists exclusively in that area, as opposed to another area. Chicago has their own hometown kids like R Kelly, Common, Cheap Trick, and Smashing Pumpkins played more often than not for those reasons.

Written By: Haynsoul on 08/13/07 at 12:36 pm

There's a hip hop/RnB radio station where I live that plays 90's songs once in a while during the morning hours.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 08/16/07 at 5:56 pm

I couldn't believe it...the other day I was flipping through stations and I heard the song,  "U Can't Touch This"....it's just not a typical song that you hear everyday now. :D

We have a new station here in the Bay Area called Movin' 99.7 (Jeff also has one down in L.A.), and although they play a lot of recent pop, Rn'B and some rock aimed at people who grew up between the mid-70s-mid-90s, they do whip out "U Can't Touch This" which really brings back memories, especially since it was done by a local artist (MCHammer is from Oakland) and the whole Baggy pants style/dances. I always have to listen to it and go, "Stop - hammertime!"  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/20/07 at 12:12 am

We have a new station here in the Bay Area called Movin' 99.7 (Jeff also has one down in L.A.), and although they play a lot of recent pop, Rn'B and some rock aimed at people who grew up between the mid-70s-mid-90s, they do whip out "U Can't Touch This" which really brings back memories, especially since it was done by a local artist (MCHammer is from Oakland) and the whole Baggy pants style/dances. I always have to listen to it and go, "Stop - hammertime!"  ;D

You get Movin' too? Cool, I guess the East Bay is close enough to San Jose to pick up alot of the same stations. Down here, it replaced the oldies station KFRC (which again resurfaced at 106.9), although I always got the impression they did dance songs from like 1982+. They seemed to be pretty rooted in the present, while throwing in some older-school stuff. Like I've heard songs like Prince's "Little Red Corvette" and Hall and Oates' "Out of Touch" on there before. Honestly, alot of '80s dance songs sound pretty modern in that context, which is comforting in a way.

Yeah, I guess "U Can't Touch This" fits in better there than it would on a typical hits station, since it's more in that general style anyway. I also agree that artists tend to get a bit more airtime in their "native" area. Like I've talked to people who say Huey Lewis barely gets played where they are, yet I still hear most of his songs either on classic rock or AC stations here (98.5 or 94.5 mostly) because he's also from Marin County.

P.S. Another point I just thought of regarding radio and song airplay - doesn't it seem like automated playlists in grocery stores have a bigger variety? I've heard songs there which the traditional radio generally wouldn't play...be it from the '80s, '90s or whenever. Today I heard "How Do You Talk To An Angel" in a Safeway and it made me think of this, lol. 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/20/07 at 7:44 am

Today I heard "How Do You Talk To An Angel" in a Safeway and it made me think of this, lol. 8)

I love that song 8)

I've noticed the same thing in supermarkets. The other day when I was at one, I heard "Sailing" by Christopher Cross, and later I heard "Black or White" by Micheal Jackson. What really surprised me was, when I was at our local Wal-Mart the other day, the played "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/07 at 9:50 pm

Alternative rock stations are quite faithful to the '90s, in fact by listening to the one here you would think it still was 1993 almost! lol.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/21/07 at 10:08 pm

Alternative rock stations are quite faithful to the '90s, in fact by listening to the one here you would think it still was 1993 almost! lol.

You're probably right, now that I think about it. I wonder if the rock songs have survived better than the pop songs from that period (not necesarilly with datedness, but with them still getting airplay)? I was still hearing Amy Grant songs as late as, like 1998, but you'd never see that now.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/21/07 at 10:09 pm

You're probably right, now that I think about it. I wonder if the rock songs have survived better than the pop songs from that period (not necesarilly with datedness, but with them still getting airplay)? I was still hearing Amy Grant songs as late as, like 1998, but you'd never see that now.

we have a few stations in our area that are considered "light rock" stations...and yes, they do still play a lot of light rock from the 90's. One is Lite FM, and the other one is WISH 99.7 FM.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/21/07 at 10:18 pm

Alternative as a genre blew up in the '90s with grunge and bands like RHCP and R.E.M., which really were born in the '80s underground rock scene hence the name alternative. Alternative stations are just "faithful to their roots" it seems in my experience. What's amazing is how "alternative" is now pretty much used to label all rock music 1991- present, alternative and rock have now become synonymous terms to describe "modern" rock music.

Check for new replies or respond here...