inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Very First Web Page

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/10/07 at 7:32 am

For those of you that have never seen the 'beginning' of the world wide web, I provided a link here:http://info.cern.ch/

That is a link to the very first web server, the first official web page(http://info.cern.ch/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html) has been down for many years, but here is a link to an archived version of the first page as it appeared in 1992: http://www.w3.org/History/19921103-hypertext/hypertext/WWW/TheProject.html

That's without a doubt a piece of history. The World Wide Web  is what revolutionized the internet, and really bought it to the masses. Who knows where we would be today if it hadn't been created. And i'm sure that there's no way they could've imagined back then what it would become 7/8 years later.

Subject: Re: The Very First Web Page

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 7:33 am

Interesting, and that's not nearly as primitive as I thought it would be (it looks like a Craigslist listing!). Although the Internet was still pretty much text-oriented until the late '90s. With all this talk about technology, I think the 'Net is one of the few things that probably advanced much further and faster than people would have thought at the time.

If someone from 1992 saw most things about the present, they'd probably think it was like 1999 or the early '00s at most. However, if they even saw the Internet of today and what it could do, they'd probably think it was a quarter century into the future!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/07 at 7:48 am

Interesting, and that's not nearly as primitive as I thought it would be (it looks like a Craigslist listing!). Although the Internet was still pretty much text-oriented until the late '90s. With all this talk about technology, I think the 'Net is one of the few things that probably advanced much further and faster than people would have thought at the time.

If someone from 1992 saw most things about the present, they'd probably think it was like 1999 or the early '00s at most. However, if they even saw the Internet of today and what it could do, they'd probably think it was a quarter century into the future!

Yeah, I would agree. And the really amazing thing is that, most of the biggest changes in the internet between now and then occurred withing the first 5/6 years of its existence.

Here are a few additional links that I thought were pretty cool:

www.symbolics.com: That is the first registered domain name. The company Symbolics registered that domain on March 13, 1985. That means it was registered 6 years before the world wide web even debuted :o

http://groups.google.com/group/net.flame/browse_frm/thread/64696a1b035aab72/9d78b6a94111c70e#9d78b6a94111c70e: Just for fun, the first discussion about the Y2K problem, from 1985.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 7:52 am

Yeah, forget even our Internet, the one of 1997 would be pretty amazing to someone from 1992!

Come to think of it, I wonder who was actively going online in the actual 1980s, or even any time before '93 when it was simply unknown to the masses? Probably just wealthy, knowledgeable business types, or certain college campuses. I actually read a bit about the Y2K problem, and it's amazing how they treated it like it wasn't even any huge deal to worry about. But 15 years is a long time when you look at it in a futuristic perspective (the past doesn't seem like it so much). It almost looks like an e-mail setting back then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/07 at 8:05 am

Yeah, forget even our Internet, the one of 1997 would be pretty amazing to someone from 1992!

Come to think of it, I wonder who was actively going online in the actual 1980s, or even any time before '93 when it was simply unknown to the masses? Probably just wealthy, knowledgeable business types, or certain college campuses. I actually read a bit about the Y2K problem, and it's amazing how they treated it like it wasn't even any huge deal to worry about. But 15 years is a long time when you look at it in a futuristic perspective (the past doesn't seem like it so much). It almost looks like an e-mail setting back then.

Yeah, from what I've noticed on the Google archives, it seems like most internet users in the pre-World Wide Web days were people that either worked at software companies, or were on college campuses. Its amazing when you look at most of the Usenet posts from the '80s, and compare them to some of the mindless crap you see on Youtube these days ::)

It seems to me like the people that worried the most about the Y2K problem were those that had limited knowledge of computers. Those that had experience with computers sort of dismissed it, since they probably knew it wasn't likely to happen.

It's just kinda hard to imagine how far away 2000 must have seemed to them. Like, I would think it would've seemed even farther away then, than 2022 seems now since it was the start of a new millennium. I remember thinking 2000 was far away in like 1995 ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 8:20 am

^ Yeah, especially when you think how different 1970 was to 1985, with all the new technology at the time, I can imagine (if you look at it in a present context) someone might've thought it would be an even bigger change by 2000. All the posts in the early days seemed quite intelligent and well-thought out, I agree.

P.S. I barely even comment on YouTube anymore, just from all the juvenile cr*p people post (that, or chain letters).

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 10:40 am

Yeah in 92 I could go to a page and then go sit down to dinner and when I came back the page would be loaded. In 97 I only had enough time to make a sandwich and would eat it at the computer  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 11:16 am

Yeah in 92 I could go to a page and then go sit down to dinner and when I came back the page would be loaded. In 97 I only had enough time to make a sandwich and would eat it at the computer  ;D

;D

The only thing that annoyed me about the late '90s dialup internet was the time it took to download soundclips, for instance. I used to listen to song samples from CDs, and it would invariably stop with that "Buffering..." sign, lol.

Written By: fusefan on 08/11/07 at 11:32 am

P.S. I barely even comment on YouTube anymore, just from all the juvenile cr*p people post (that, or chain letters).

Ugh! I know what you mean! I miss the way Youtube was when I started visiting the site in late 2005. I thought it was the greatest site ever it was like webshots.com but for videos. And all of the sudden it just got popular. And things just went downhill...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/07 at 12:49 pm

;D

The only thing that annoyed me about the late '90s dialup internet was the time it took to download soundclips, for instance. I used to listen to song samples from CDs, and it would invariably stop with that "Buffering..." sign, lol.

Yeah, I didn't realize how slow the internet was when we first got it until last year, when we finally got DSL. At that time I just thought it was the norm for pages to take a few minutes to load. And, yeah watching video's was definetly no fun back then. I would've hated to have seen what Youtube would've been like back then :o

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/12/07 at 12:50 am

;D

I know, things like 30 second sound clips took forever to load! I would've never thought to watch videos online back in the 90's, either.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/14/07 at 8:45 pm

Yeah, after reading those posts and seeing todays crap, things have really gone down hill.  I mean, look at that, they didnt even have spellcheck yet they still used proper english.  Today everything has spell check on it and people cant spell simple words like "you".  And most importantly, people who used usenet and Bulletin Board systems were SMART.  If only the internet was like that today =/

And yeah, the whole Y2K thing people were scared over in 1999 was stupid because, just read the posts, people already figured out what was gonna happen, yet people, who shouldnt be using computers in the first place, went crazy. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/17/07 at 8:36 am

Yeah, after reading those posts and seeing todays crap, things have really gone down hill.  I mean, look at that, they didnt even have spellcheck yet they still used proper english.  Today everything has spell check on it and people cant spell simple words like "you".  And most importantly, people who used usenet and Bulletin Board systems were SMART.  If only the internet was like that today =/

And yeah, the whole Y2K thing people were scared over in 1999 was stupid because, just read the posts, people already figured out what was gonna happen, yet people, who shouldnt be using computers in the first place, went crazy. 

I agree. Those guys had Y2K figured out 15/20 years early, and people were still stocking up underground bunkers. And I hate that alot of internet users today can be so stupid. These day's whenever I watch a video on Youtube I try to avoid even looking at the comments, it seems like every single conversation on there winds up turning into a argument, especially on music video's and things like that.

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/17/07 at 2:22 pm

I agree. Those guys had Y2K figured out 15/20 years early, and people were still stocking up underground bunkers. And I hate that alot of internet users today can be so stupid. These day's whenever I watch a video on Youtube I try to avoid even looking at the comments, it seems like every single conversation on there winds up turning into a argument, especially on music video's and things like that.

I hear you there on YouTube! The comments on YouTube contain some of the filthiest language known to man. :P

Written By: snozberries on 08/17/07 at 6:00 pm

I hear you there on YouTube! The comments on YouTube contain some of the filthiest language known to man. :P

I just hate that they are all so young and ATTACK just  because your ioinion differes from theirs

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/18/07 at 7:57 am

I just hate that they are all so young and ATTACK just  because your ioinion differes from theirs

Yeah, nobody on Youtube can just agree to disagree. They have to put you down until you agree with there side. I also hate it when someone who doesn't like a particular artist or song, watches a video for that artist or song just so they can post a comment about how much it sucks and insult those who do like it. I've never understood the logic behind that ???

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/18/07 at 12:37 pm

Yeah, I'm actually one of those geeks who reads the entire comment lists (they're like mini message boards, and I always like hearing what people have to say about certain things). So yeah, I hate weeding through all the cr@p they put on there...aside from people being stupid or vulgar, there's also chain letters and and stuff. Although I've noticed that stuff more commonly appears on music videos.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/18/07 at 12:44 pm

Yeah, I'm actually one of those geeks who reads the entire comment lists (they're like mini message boards, and I always like hearing what people have to say about certain things). So yeah, I hate weeding through all the cr@p they put on there...aside from people being stupid or vulgar, there's also chain letters and and stuff. Although I've noticed that stuff more commonly appears on music videos.

Your not alone on that ;)

I like to look at the comments whenever I'm watching the retro video's, like commercials, TV shows, etc. from the '70s, '80, or '90s, just to see what some of the users have to say about it. Though I tend to avoid the comments on music video's for the same reason you mentioned.

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/18/07 at 1:35 pm

Has anyone ever seen any videos of The Price is Right on YouTube? On the majority of the comments, some guy has been going around stating that Bob Barker is dead. Perfect example of some more comment junk on YouTube. ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...