inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mel Gibson

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 3:28 pm

Okay, so I have been boycotting Mel Gibson since the incident because I didn't want to support a racist. I didn't mind too much I mean I liked several Mel Gibson films but don't care if I never see them again... except one - Bird on a Wire. I know. Not a great film but for some reason I like it. The problem is... am I selling out on my morals if I watch this movie after saying I will never support an MG project again.

And do I have to give up on the simpsons episode he voiced too? 

Subject: Re: Mel Gibson

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/07 at 4:01 pm

This might be a sensitive topic, but I've never seen a point in boycotting someone's work just because of something that happened in their personal life. Don't get me wrong, I think what he did was wrong and there's no way to defend that. But if you're going to deprive yourself of something you used to like and otherwise still would, I think that's like letting them win in a way (well, their negative actions at least).

To use a similar incident, I was taken aback by Michael Richards' racist rant too. That made him a little more dislikable as a person to me, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying Seinfeld, UHF or anything else he's done. Although I do think he's generally a good guy who got ticked off, said some things in the heat of the moment (same with Mel Gibson) and tried to apologize for it. That doesn't excuse the original action of course, but everyone makes mistakes. As long as buying something doesn't directly support a crime, for instance, I would be okay with it. Although I do understand where you're coming from, because it is a conflicting feeling when someone you once liked does something that changes your opinion of them.

Then again, maybe I'm just the type to give people the benefit of the doubt and see their good side. ;)

Written By: whistledog on 08/11/07 at 4:09 pm

There is nothing wrong with liking Mel Gibson's stuff, cause when you think about it, he made this movie before he drunkingly shot his mouth off.  A similar incident for me is Michael Jackson.  Given the creepy things he's done with little kids, I wouldn't dare listen to any of his music he puts out now, but I will gladly listen to his older stuff in the days when he was normal

As for 'Bird on A Wire', I really loved it.  Great action, humourous dialogue, and the great title theme as performed by The Neville Brothers

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/07 at 4:53 pm

There is nothing wrong with liking Mel Gibson's stuff, cause when you think about it, he made this movie before he drunkingly shot his mouth off.  A similar incident for me is Michael Jackson.  Given the creepy things he's done with little kids, I wouldn't dare listen to any of his music he puts out now, but I will gladly listen to his older stuff in the days when he was normal

As for 'Bird on A Wire', I really loved it.  Great action, humourous dialogue, and the great title theme as performed by The Neville Brothers

Not bad think of it before and after. That way my boycott of Apocalyto will still stand strong but I can still have my guilty pleasure.

This might be a sensitive topic, but I've never seen a point in boycotting someone's work just because of something that happened in their personal life. Don't get me wrong, I think what he did was wrong and there's no way to defend that. But if you're going to deprive yourself of something you used to like and otherwise still would, I think that's like letting them win in a way (well, their negative actions at least).

To use a similar incident, I was taken aback by Michael Richards' racist rant too. That made him a little more dislikable as a person to me, but I won't let that stop me from enjoying Seinfeld, UHF or anything else he's done. Although I do think he's generally a good guy who got ticked off, said some things in the heat of the moment (same with Mel Gibson) and tried to apologize for it. That doesn't excuse the original action of course, but everyone makes mistakes. As long as buying something doesn't directly support a crime, for instance, I would be okay with it. Although I do understand where you're coming from, because it is a conflicting feeling when someone you once liked does something that changes your opinion of them.

Then again, maybe I'm just the type to give people the benefit of the doubt and see their good side. ;)

Yeah I'm still boycotting seinfeld but that's because I was even more offended by Michael Richards than Mel Gibson. I know its not fair to all the people who worked on that show but just seeing Richards infuriates me.

Written By: woops on 08/11/07 at 5:09 pm

I'm suprised that Chelsea Handler has a late night talk show since she's as discusting like Don Imus  >:( :P

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/12/07 at 8:00 pm

Not bad think of it before and after. That way my boycott of Apocalyto will still stand strong but I can still have my guilty pleasure.

Yeah I'm still boycotting seinfeld but that's because I was even more offended by Michael Richards than Mel Gibson. I know its not fair to all the people who worked on that show but just seeing Richards infuriates me.

True, like I can see not wanting to buy the DVD Season sets if it puts money in his pocket personally, but I'm still happy to watch the reruns on TV, lol.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/13/07 at 11:40 am

Mel Gibson was my number 1 "hottie" and yes, I was gaga over him. To me, attraction doesn't just lie in their looks. It also lies with who they are and how they respect others. With his tirade, I started to see a different side of him and he didn't seem as attracted to me as he once did. (And being half Jewish myself, I kind of took what he said VERY personally.)

That being said, I still think he is a very good actor as well as a director. Some of his movies that I still enjoy are:

Hamlet (I think he did an outstanding job in this)
Braveheart
Maverick
Bird on a Wire (yes, I really like that movie)
Forever Young

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 08/13/07 at 1:30 pm

Cat

good to know other people like this movie too.. I thought it was just me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/13/07 at 1:33 pm

Mel Gibson was my number 1 "hottie" and yes, I was gaga over him. To me, attraction doesn't just lie in their looks. It also lies with who they are and how they respect others. With his tirade, I started to see a different side of him and he didn't seem as attracted to me as he once did. (And being half Jewish myself, I kind of took what he said VERY personally.)

That being said, I still think he is a very good actor as well as a director. Some of his movies that I still enjoy are:

Hamlet (I think he did an outstanding job in this)
Braveheart
Maverick
Forever Young

Cat

You know what, I couldn't agree more with that first sentence especially. :) That goes for people in real life, celebrities or anyone else. I admire what people are, looks are more secondary to me. Yeah, after awhile I might think certain women are attractive, but that alone has certainly never been the basis for me liking them.

I've got a theory that even if you don't personally know someone, if you've been familiarized with what they've done or had an image of them over time, it kinda feels like you do. So when something comes up that forces you to change how you'd been thinking of them all along, that can be awkward and confusing to say the least. Indirectly, it's almost like a good friend letting you down. So on that logic, what Mel said was probably like a double insult, so I don't blame you for feeling that way. Not only by how he acted in itself, but you being Jewish (actually I am as well), I can see how that would make it personally offensive on top of it.

While I wouldn't give up on liking something I previously have, my personal view of the person would change, yes.

Just for some parallel examples for the point of discussion (I'm going back to the old-school early '90s here! ;)), I find it reassuring and comforting to know that nothing has changed my mind about most of the first celebrities I looked up to. My initial image of Weird Al, Ernest, Gallagher or most '80s musicians is pretty much now what it was when I was 9 or 10 actually. Same for girls/women I might've thought were cute (i.e. Candace Cameron from Full House, Paula Abdul, Ricki Lake). So yes, it would be quite disappointing if any of them said or did something to change the image I've always had about them....although I doubt they would.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/15/07 at 2:25 pm

You know what, I couldn't agree more with that first sentence especially. :) That goes for people in real life, celebrities or anyone else. I admire what people are, looks are more secondary to me. Yeah, after awhile I might think certain women are attractive, but that alone has certainly never been the basis for me liking them.

I've got a theory that even if you don't personally know someone, if you've been familiarized with what they've done or had an image of them over time, it kinda feels like you do. So when something comes up that forces you to change how you'd been thinking of them all along, that can be awkward and confusing to say the least. Indirectly, it's almost like a good friend letting you down. So on that logic, what Mel said was probably like a double insult, so I don't blame you for feeling that way. Not only by how he acted in itself, but you being Jewish (actually I am as well), I can see how that would make it personally offensive on top of it.

While I wouldn't give up on liking something I previously have, my personal view of the person would change, yes.

Just for some parallel examples for the point of discussion (I'm going back to the old-school early '90s here! ;)), I find it reassuring and comforting to know that nothing has changed my mind about most of the first celebrities I looked up to. My initial image of Weird Al, Ernest, Gallagher or most '80s musicians is pretty much now what it was when I was 9 or 10 actually. Same for girls/women I might've thought were cute (i.e. Candace Cameron from Full House, Paula Abdul, Ricki Lake). So yes, it would be quite disappointing if any of them said or did something to change the image I've always had about them....although I doubt they would.

Actually, I should have followed up by saying that Johnny Depp is NOW my # 1"Hottie".  ;)  Mel has lost his status with me.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...