inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collective Soul

Written By: sethster27 on 08/13/07 at 3:56 pm

hey do you guys remember Collective Soul's early albums from the 90's, like "Hints, Allegations, and things left unsaid" or "Dosage"? well their coming out with a new album titled "Afterwords" and it's gonna be released August 28th.  i'm really excited about it, it features their hit song "hollywood," which i saw on their myspace page is available on itunes now.  but the album will only be sold at target and itunes of course.  i love this band, i've been to a few concerts of theirs before.  they really started their road to fame in the 90's, but i didn't really know about them until lately.  a coworker of mine at umg recommended their previous albums and i thought they were pretty impressive. this new album release really has their myspace page lookin good, it has some cool links if you want to check it out.

*link deleted by moderator*

Subject: Re: Collective Soul

Written By: nally on 08/13/07 at 3:59 pm

I remember their songs but I forget the names of their albums. (I do, however, remember they had a self titled album from 1995 or so.)

In 1994 they had a big hit with "Shine", and then in 1995 they had "December" (the title of which isn't even mentioned until somewhere near the end) and "The World I Know." Then later on, in 1998 or so, I think they had a song called "Run."

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/13/07 at 4:06 pm

They had a semi-comeback with Youth, just around the beginning of 2005. It didn't do very well, but I think it had some of their best songs. Kind of like a cross of their signature '90s sound (i.e. "Perfect to Stay"), with some modern alt rock and even semi '80s stuff like "Better Now". I'll probably get their new one when it comes out, but I hope it does better commercially.

Written By: sethster27 on 08/13/07 at 6:30 pm

I remember their songs but I forget the names of their albums. (I do, however, remember they had a self titled album from 1995 or so.)

In 1994 they had a big hit with "Shine", and then in 1995 they had "December" (the title of which isn't even mentioned until somewhere near the end) and "The World I Know." Then later on, in 1998 or so, I think they had a song called "Run."

ya your right, they did have a self-titled album in 1995. other albums of theirs include Disciplined Breakdown, Dosage, Blender, and Youth. My personal favorite is Blender, but i can't wait to hear their other songs from Afterwords :)

Written By: sethster27 on 08/13/07 at 6:34 pm

They had a semi-comeback with Youth, just around the beginning of 2005. It didn't do very well, but I think it had some of their best songs. Kind of like a cross of their signature '90s sound (i.e. "Perfect to Stay"), with some modern alt rock and even semi '80s stuff like "Better Now". I'll probably get their new one when it comes out, but I hope it does better commercially.

ya i know, this one needs to get up on the charts. i hope you like the album :)

Written By: Tia on 08/13/07 at 6:54 pm

not to get all stairway on you, but i'm listening to "shine" now, which i bet the boys in collective soul are sick of hearing about, but god i love that song. always liked these guys, don't know much about them though. definitely would be interested in learning what b-sides a fan would recommend, cuz what i heard from them, i've liked.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 08/13/07 at 9:39 pm

I was never a big Collective Soul fan, but I remember when they were popular

Written By: audkal on 08/13/07 at 10:45 pm

not to get all stairway on you, but i'm listening to "shine" now, which i bet the boys in collective soul are sick of hearing about, but god i love that song.

Yeah, that was one of the first songs I remember liking (when I was like 4 or 5).  To this day it's still one of my favorite songs of all time. :)

Written By: Brian06 on 08/13/07 at 10:48 pm

Yeah I like this band.  8)

Written By: coqueta83 on 08/13/07 at 11:47 pm

They're pretty cool.  :)

Written By: Gis on 08/14/07 at 3:05 am

I loved them I will have to check out the new album.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/14/07 at 3:44 am

They had a handful of decent songs ranging from 1994 to the present day:
Shine '94
The World I Know '95
December '95
Where the River Flows '95
When the Water Falls '95
Heavy '99
Run '99
Better Now '05
Counting the Days '05
Hollywood '07

I think all those at least made it onto modern rock station playlists over here.

Written By: Seth on 08/14/07 at 5:32 pm

Wow, you're on top of your Collective Soul! Yea...they actually started off back in 1994 and now they're back which is awesome.

Written By: Seth on 08/14/07 at 5:33 pm

Yea...I'm sure it'll do commercially now because they were actually on the "Star Loung" on Star 98.7 in Los Angeles not to long ago.

Written By: Seth on 08/14/07 at 5:35 pm

not to get all stairway on you, but i'm listening to "shine" now, which i bet the boys in collective soul are sick of hearing about, but god i love that song. always liked these guys, don't know much about them though. definitely would be interested in learning what b-sides a fan would recommend, cuz what i heard from them, i've liked.  :)

Shine is one song that just won't go away. It was their classic hit!

Written By: Seth on 08/14/07 at 5:37 pm

They had a handful of decent songs ranging from 1994 to the present day:
Shine '94
The World I Know '95
December '95
Where the River Flows '95
When the Water Falls '95
Heavy '99
Run '99
Better Now '05
Counting the Days '05
Hollywood '07

I think all those at least made it onto modern rock station playlists over here.

So true on these songs.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/14/07 at 6:13 pm

What's weird is, despite how big of a hit "Shine" was, that's another one I barely hear on the radio anymore. At least from my experience, "December" is their only song that's survived pretty well into the present, and to a lesser extent, "The World I Know". Almost everything from the self-titled 1995 album is great, though.

Written By: sethster27 on 08/15/07 at 1:00 pm

I loved them I will have to check out the new album.

great i hope you like it!

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 10/28/07 at 3:17 am

Then later on, in 1998 or so, I think they had a song called "Run."

I really liked Run..but I don't really know their other work.  :-\\

Written By: Tia on 10/28/07 at 8:08 am

we do "shine" now, a fact which is solely attributable to the existence of this thread, which gave me the idea to suggest it to everyone.

Written By: Brigitte on 10/28/07 at 11:05 am

"Gel" is my favorite Collective Soul song. I have a couple of their albums. I haven't heard much of their recent stuff.

Written By: tv on 10/30/07 at 6:11 pm

I liked "Better Now" and I was surprised It didn;t receive better popularity/airplay than it did. I guess 90's bands can get no love these days.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/03/07 at 1:50 am

One of the most underrated bands of the 90's.

"Smashing Young Man" is a great song.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/07 at 2:08 am

They're quite good and underrated probably. "Shine", "December", "The World I Know" are all good.

Check for new replies or respond here...