inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pauly Shore appreciation thread.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:27 pm

Even DURING his heyday, there were people who ripped on him, but I always thought he was cool, lol. Especially in movies like Encino Man and Bio Dome (although he pretty much faded away after that one, at least commercially). I could see him being a guy who you could party and hang out with, but he was like your buddy too.

Doesn't he seem like an '80s hair metal/surfer dude who adapted equally to the slacker culture of the '90s?

Subject: Re: Pauly Shore appreciation thread.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 11:31 pm

Even though he was pretty goofy...there were a few movies that I liked him in:

Encino Man
Son-In-Law (I think that's what it is called).

He always seemed to play the part of the goofy, yet very loyal friend.  Like...no matter what, he'd have your back.

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/07 at 11:34 pm

I liked Son-In-Law and Encino Man as well.
Jury Duty had it's funny moments, but 'In the Army Now' was crap

Remember him from that "Married .. With Children" episode ...

"Bundy, you pulled a burger boner"

:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:44 pm

Encino Man

He always seemed to play the part of the goofy, yet very loyal friend.  Like...no matter what, he'd have your back.

Yeah, I really liked Son in Law too. I totally agree with the last sentence too, in fact it probably shows in that movie more than any other. For instance, at first he sees the trip back to the farm with Rebecca as fun and no big deal, but he does become attached to her and the family after awhile. I love "mostly goofy with a shred of serious undertones"-type movies. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/26/07 at 11:47 pm

Yeah, I really liked Son in Law too. I totally agree with the last sentence too, in fact it probably shows in that movie more than any other. For instance, at first he sees the trip back to the farm with Rebecca as fun and no big deal, but he does become attached to her and the family after awhile. I love "mostly goofy with a shred of serious undertones"-type movies. :)

I liked his character in Encino Man, as well. He was the "little buddy" type of character..ya know what I mean?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/07 at 11:59 pm

I liked his character in Encino Man, as well. He was the "little buddy" type of character..ya know what I mean?

Yeah, as far-fetched as that story is, I loved the scenes where he's "assimilating" Link to the modern world of 1992. Like, when they go to the Circle K-type conveinence store (before going to the amusement park) and he's pointing out the "fruit/meat" groups of food...and it's all candy. ;D

That movie just has such a suburban late Twentieth century charm to it.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:01 am

Yeah, as far-fetched as that story is, I loved the scenes where he's "assimilating" Link to the modern world of 1992. Like, when they go to the Circle K-type conveinence store (before going to the amusement park) and he's pointing out the "fruit/meat" groups of food...and it's all candy. ;D

That movie just has such a suburban late Twentieth century charm to it.

Oh gosh...I love when he "wheezes the juice" (aka, drinking a slurpy/icy straight from the machine)...my sister did that once...she was mighty proud! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 12:11 am

I always wanted to try that for fun (partially inspired from the movie!), but I'm generally too chicken. Plus I'm super picky with food and drinks, so I don't know if I'd enjoy the actual feeling of it.

P.S. That store must've had a wimpy microwave if the burrito was semi-frozen at 1 minute. When I get them there, I always think of that scene, and they're usually done perfectly after like 30 seconds. It couldn't have been that old either (especially for 1992) if it was digitalized, so maybe those were just really frozen or something.

^ I know I'm analyzing a burrito and a microwave in a movie. I'm such a dork. ;D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:14 am

I always wanted to try that for fun (partially inspired from the movie!), but I'm generally too chicken. Plus I'm super picky with food and drinks, so I don't know if I'd enjoy the actual feeling of it.

P.S. That store must've had a wimpy microwave if the burrito was semi-frozen at 1 minute. When I get them there, I always think of that scene, and they're usually done perfectly after like 30 seconds. It couldn't have been that old either (especially for 1992) if it was digitalized, so maybe those were just really frozen or something.

^ I know I'm analyzing a burrito and a microwave in a movie. I'm such a dork. ;D

it's alright...dorks= the coolness. 8)

Ya, seriously though...it usually doesn't take that long to cook them.

Oh, not to change the subject (well it's still about Pauly Shore)...but I remember when I watched the movie, In The Army Now....I was shocked at how different he looked when he shaved his curly hair and it was short....I remember thinking that he didn't look half bad. :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 12:21 am

it's alright...dorks= the coolness. 8)

Ya, seriously though...it usually doesn't take that long to cook them.

Oh, not to change the subject (well it's still about Pauly Shore)...but I remember when I watched the movie, In The Army Now....I was shocked at how different he looked when he shaved his curly hair and it was short....I remember thinking that he didn't look half bad. :D

Yeah, I see ITAN as the beginning of his "second", slightly more mature phase in a way. Unlike his other movies, this wasn't one I liked as much on first viewing, but I came to like it when I got into the storyline. It took some getting used to for me as well, but both looks were cool for him. He probably just didn't want to date himself too much. I remember some people were holding onto their frizzy, curly or teased hair as late as 1993. That's probably the last year that could be mistaken for the '80s in "look" if someone time travelled back there.

Just as a little in-joke to myself, I sometimes ask the clerks at 7-11 "How much for the burrito?" and hope someone will say "Two minutes", lol.

P.S. Now, I might be a dork (but in a creative, silly Weird Al-type way), but I'm holding to my belief that you're not. You're too cool for me to imagine you that way at all. If you had met me when I was 10 and you were 14-15, I imagine you'd have probably laughed at me for something...even if just in a friendly way. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:25 am

Yeah, I see ITAN as the beginning of his "second", slightly more mature phase in a way. Unlike his other movies, this wasn't one I liked as much on first viewing, but I came to like it when I got into the storyline. It took some getting used to for me as well, but both looks were cool for him. He probably just didn't want to date himself too much. I remember some people were holding onto their frizzy, curly or teased hair as late as 1993. That's probably the last year that could be mistaken for the '80s in "look" if someone time travelled back there.

Just as a little in-joke to myself, I sometimes ask the clerks at 7-11 "How much for the burrito?" and hope someone will say "Two minutes", lol.

P.S. Now, I might be a dork (but in a creative, silly Weird Al-type way), but I'm holding to my belief that you're not. You're too cool for me to imagine you that way at all. If you had met me when I was 10 and you were 14-15, I imagine you'd have probably laughed at me for something...even if just in a friendly way. ;)

Well, let me tell ya, the whole "dork" thing....is good...to me, at least. It's more of a compliment than anything. Why would I want to be like everybody else? Right? Dorks RULE!!! ;D  I have always been one, believe it or not...tis true. ;) :)  And, no..I would have never laughed at you...you would have been a cool friend, no matter that you were younger than me (most of my friends were at the time anyway).

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 12:31 am

^ My best friend in Elementary school was 11 when I was 7, so about your age. He was a mature guy too, and I remember thinking of him as this semi-adult big dude, so it's really great on his part that he wanted to hang around a young kid like me. I wish I'd appreciated it more at the time.

I guess you could've been like that, too. I've always been pretty good with having friends on either side of the age gap, so I've never cared about that either.

BTW - I guess I've been looking at this all wrong. There's different stages of being a dork...I'm basing it on the more "stereotypical" one of pocket protectors and stuff. Whereas, I guess we're more like that just in being not the same as everyone else or having unique interests and personalities. So yeah, I see it as complimentary. Speaking of Al (sorry I know he's one of those people I bring up alot ;D ), a friend of his once said on a documentary, that "He's a nerd, but a COOL nerd"...that probably fits us too.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:33 am

^ My best friend in Elementary school was 11 when I was 7, so about your age. He was a mature guy too, and I remember thinking of him as this semi-adult big dude, so it's really great on his part that he wanted to hang around a young kid like me. I wish I'd appreciated it more at the time.

I guess you could've been like that, too. I've always been pretty good with having friends on either side of the age gap, so I've never cared about that either.

BTW - I guess I've been looking at this all wrong. There's different stages of being a dork...I'm basing it on the more "stereotypical" one of pocket protectors and stuff. Whereas, I guess we're more like that just in being not the same as everyone else or having unique interests and personalities. So yeah, I see it as complimentary. Speaking of Al (sorry I know he's one of those people I bring up alot ;D ), a friend of his once said on a documentary, that "He's a nerd, but a COOL nerd"...that probably fits us too.

I know what you're saying. No, I never wore a pocket protector, etc...besides, those are nerds! LOL! ;) :D  I mean, to me..being a dork= someone who doesn't follow the norm, someone who isn't friends with all of the popular kids, but that's ok, someone who likes things that may not be the accepted thing by the majority, someone who can wear the dark rimmed glasses and totally rock them! ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 12:44 am

I know what you're saying. No, I never wore a pocket protector, etc...besides, those are nerds! LOL! ;) :D  I mean, to me..being a dork= someone who doesn't follow the norm, someone who isn't friends with all of the popular kids, but that's ok, someone who likes things that may not be the accepted thing by the majority, someone who can wear the dark rimmed glasses and totally rock them! ;D

That makes perfect sense, I guess words tend to stereotypicalize after awhile to where people have a harder time associating it with something else. But I don't mean being in that category of dorkiness. It's good to be individualistic, plus who needs the attention of popular people anyway (I'm not saying I never hung out with them, and I certainly wouldn't shun friendship with them...but it's not like all I need either, lol)? Plus, some of the celebrities who end up being liked by everybody were that way before they got big. I've heard this is actually quite popular among "creative" people.

Hey, I think the glasses look is quite cool. Lots of girls pull it off really well. I've probably told you this before, but I think you from today look alot like the 1991 Amy Grant. I mean that as a huge compliment too - even back then I thought she was cute, lol. ;)

BTW, here's the "Baby Baby" video as an example. You'll see what I mean around 25ish seconds, when she starts singing against the white backdrop:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46QAjaCg5Yc

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:47 am

That makes perfect sense, I guess words tend to stereotypicalize after awhile to where people have a harder time associating it with something else. But I don't mean being in that category of dorkiness. It's good to be individualistic, plus who needs the attention of popular people anyway (I'm not saying I never hung out with them, and I certainly wouldn't shun friendship with them...but it's not like all I need either, lol)? Plus, some of the celebrities who end up being liked by everybody were that way before they got big. I've heard this is actually quite popular among "creative" people.

P.S. I think the glasses look is cool. Lots of girls pull it off really well. I've probably told you this before, but I think you from today look alot like the 1991 Amy Grant (watch the "Baby Baby" video and you'll see what I mean) - which I mean as a huge compliment. Even back then I thought she was cute, lol. ;)

aww, thanks! :)  I have always loved the glasses sort of thing...like I mentioned in another thread, Kennedy from MTV, Lisa Loeb, Janine Garafalo...those are all girls that rock the glasses well. :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/27/07 at 12:52 am

aww, thanks! :)  I have always loved the glasses sort of thing...like I mentioned in another thread, Kennedy from MTV, Lisa Loeb, Janine Garafalo...those are all girls that rock the glasses well. :)

No problem, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. :)

I wonder if that look caught on because the '90s were generally intellectual, serious and more down to earth time...albeit in a laid back, fun way. I remember seeing more women with glasses then, although some dudes pulled it off pretty well too. Before his surgery, Weird Al had them as a trademark for years (along with his mustache, lol).

P.S. I realized the Amy Grant comparison would work in real time too, 'cause she still looks pretty much the same now, just without the sorta big hair. ;)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 08/27/07 at 12:54 am

No problem, I wouldn't say it if I didn't mean it. :)

I wonder if that look caught on because the '90s were generally intellectual, serious and more down to earth time...albeit in a laid back, fun way. I remember seeing more women with glasses then, although some dudes pulled it off pretty well too. Before his surgery, Weird Al had them as a trademark for years (along with his mustache, lol).

P.S. I realized the Amy Grant comparison would work in real time too, 'cause she still looks pretty much the same now, just without the sorta big hair. ;)

I don't really know what started the whole glasses thing...but it caught on well, and is still going.

Ya, Amy Grant is a pretty lady...I always liked her music. :)

Written By: woops on 09/07/07 at 3:21 am

Honestly, I used to like some of his movies like "Biodome" & "Son In Law" back in the day  :-X :D

Written By: pickledpickles7337 on 06/29/09 at 12:19 pm

Pauly Shore was just comedic enough to make you feel good about yourself when you were feeling down... I mean really how could you still feel like Crap after hearing him come out with .... Buuuuudddddyyyy :D

Written By: pickledpickles7337 on 07/06/09 at 1:33 pm

Just watched BIO DOME last night and yup... it is as good as i remembered. Although i got this giant urge to ram someone in the head with a text book... oh well some urges are definately worth it! ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 07/11/09 at 5:55 pm

Encino Man

Son-In-Law in particular is my favorite movie involving Pauly Shore.

Written By: joeman on 07/17/09 at 8:14 pm

I really liked Biodome.  You guys need to check out a movie he did in 2003 called "Pauly Shore is Dead."  It is an interesting view on how people see him and what he does against the backlash he receives.

Check for new replies or respond here...