inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: LAY'S PLANET POINTS!!!

Written By: GameDude2008 on 08/27/07 at 9:41 pm

Now this is for the people that grew up in the 90s, both cihildren and teens:
Does anyone remember Lay's Planet Points? You know the points that were on back of the chip bags, which if you collected like 300 of them you could "win" a prize? I remember when I was like 8  and I collected about 300 Planet Points, which I mailed in and got a Yo-Yo. I thought that it was the most awesome thing in the world. It even lighted up! Ahh...talk about pop culture.  :)That was one of the reasons that I loved the 90s.

Subject: Re: LAY'S PLANET POINTS!!!

Written By: audkal on 08/27/07 at 9:46 pm

I remember yes.  "Planet Lunch" I think it was called. :)  I never participated in it, but they advertised the hell out of it.

Written By: GameDude2008 on 08/27/07 at 9:48 pm

Yeah, "Planet Lunch" was the name of the game, and the points were called "Planet Points".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/07 at 10:13 am

Yeah, I remember the "planet points" very well, but like audkal, I didn't actively participate in it I don't think.

How long did the game last? I seem to remember seeing those on Lays chips even into 2000 or 2001.

Written By: 90skid555 on 08/30/07 at 3:47 pm

I remember those in when I was in Elementry school those were big my bestfriend told everyone to give him there points lol

Written By: fusefan on 08/30/07 at 4:47 pm

I remember those, but i think they were called "ploids". when did they stop doing that? I remember that i got a mini safe from saving those things, but i busted it just like other toys i now wish i haven't broke.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/02/07 at 3:11 pm

I remember trying to collect as much ploids as I could but then I lost it all the next day.  :\'(

Written By: GameDude2008 on 09/26/07 at 8:21 am

I remember those, but i think they were called "ploids". when did they stop doing that? I remember that i got a mini safe from saving those things, but it busted it just like other toys i now wish i haven't broke.

They stopped doing thoes around 2000.

Written By: nicki_morrissey on 09/26/07 at 1:33 pm

Wow, I sure do remember this.

When I was in elementary school, when we got backs of chips with our lunch, a few crazy kids went around the lunchroom with TRASH BAGS asking everyone for their points. I didn't collect them, so I always gave mine away.

Crazy kids.

Did anyone actually send them in and win anything? I'd like to know.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/07 at 3:46 am

I remember having Lunch in the 90s.

Written By: fusefan on 09/28/07 at 4:09 pm

Did anyone actually send them in and win anything? I'd like to know.

I got a mini safe and I also think i got a inflatable chair, but those are long gone now.
Also i found an old posting on google groups about them and what you could win.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.consumers.free-stuff/browse_thread/thread/2dbfeac672290e7a/be47551a25b79710?hl=en&lnk=st&q=ploids+lays&rnum=2#be47551a25b79710

Written By: ccandtia on 04/13/09 at 12:50 am

i remember those me and my sister collected them like off the street and the numbers up fast and she got mini boom box and i got a yack back keychain we loved it it gave us something to do and we got free stuff because we never bought one bag of chips.

Written By: Kit on 03/15/10 at 12:55 am

I found my  mine safe and can't get it open! Dose anyone remember the combo?

Check for new replies or respond here...