inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why does '90s music often get pigeonholed by previous generations?

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/07 at 7:27 pm

Let me just say, first of all, that I'm a huge fan of both decades' music, so I don't want to sound biased on either side. ;)

That being said, this is something I've noticed for years and I admit it's kind of a pet peeve. It seems especially common for earlier Generation Xers who have a strong distaste for anything that came out in 1991+ to lump all '90s music together as being dark, edgy, violent and in complete contrast to the more lighthearted nature of the '80s. While to an extent I see what they're saying (hey, I'll be the first to admit Eighties music is fun!), I think the entire music scene gets overstereotyped by the more hardcore stuff like grunge and gangsta rap.

People sometimes don't realize those were just two small genres of all the variety that was going on. The innocent side is really underappreciated. There were Disney-type pop ballads, more melodic alternative rock, lots of AC, dance music, pure R&B, and even some '80s (or older) artists who were still around in an updated sense, even if it meant doing soft rock.

I think the change starts with people born in the mid '70s, as far as being accepting of '90s music. It's hardcore '80s fans born before, say 1973 who tend to not give it much of a chance. Has anyone noticed this?

Subject: Re: Why does '90s music often get pigeonholed by previous generations?

Written By: tv on 08/28/07 at 7:47 pm

Yeah the 90's does get ridiculed by the Breakfast Club 80's people but thats ok I don;t really care for some 00's trends or things. unlike the 80's music fans Id o give the next decades music a chance(the 00's.)

Yeah I know the 80's Breakfast Club thinks the 90's was all about Grunge. Thats ridiculous....but look at all the R&B singers/groups that were on the charts throughout the 90's: Mariah Carey, Brian Mcknight, Montell Jordan, Silk, Keith Sweat(1990 and 1996 repectively), Mint Condition, R. Kelly, Aaliyah, Usher, Mary J. Blige, Janet Jackson, Blackstreet, Tevin Campbell, Whitney Houston, Dru Hill, Xscape, Monica, Brandy, SWV, TLC, Next, En Vogue, Total, Toni Braxton, Faith Evans, and Babyface. Even some of the dance music 1994-1996 charted  like "Be my Lover" by La bouche, Where Do You Go by No Mercy, Runaway by Real McCoy. How about an instrumental 1996 track like "Children" by Robert Miles bet the 80's heads don;t know about that track. What about "I Know" by Dionne Farris from 1995 good song wasn't? but the 80's fans choose to think the 90's was all about Grunge.

I do respect the 80's alot like Marty I mean an act like Depeche Mode is great as is New Order. I think George Michael and Taylor Dayne out some good stuff in the 80's as did Jody Watley.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/07 at 8:40 pm

^You're right. I guess it's almost comparable to news stories in the media in that most of what you hear about is negative, even if what they report is a small percentage of everything that truly goes on. The '90s get stereotyped for their "hard" side.

I guess I can see both sides personally though. I mean, I grew up on '80s music and in some ways, that'll always be my favorite stuff. So I agree with the Brat Packers in their nostalgia over missing that, but the difference is that I also got into alot of '90s and they didn't.

Although it depends on the person. Believe it or not, there's alot of classic rockers who liked the '90s. My one friend's dad was born in 1956 and he says he was really into Nirvana when they came out, because it was like a return to less synthesized rock music from the '60s and '70s that he grew up on.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 08/29/07 at 7:00 am

what i remember most about the 90's was how huge r&b was, so i agree with you guys.

i think the 90's is a very underrated decade, but i bet people will start looking fondly back at them in 10 or so years.

Written By: tv on 08/29/07 at 8:06 am

what i remember most about the 90's was how huge r&b was, so i agree with you guys.

i think the 90's is a very underrated decade, but i bet people will start looking fondly back at them in 10 or so years.
Well thats the thing even people who are going to High School do not like the current music scene but the like 90's music(you even hear that on this board). I think we took good 90's music for granted at the time.

Asf for previous generation generation hating the 90's I don;t know my Mom was very much into 90's music with Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, Luther Vandross(he was still making hits intil 1992-1993 I think), and Celine Dion.Me and my Dad since he he thinks the 80's are the besat decade for music he said to me the 80's are the best decade for music and the 90's sucked. I said well we had Stone Temple Pilots and Soul Asylum and he gave me that look when I said Soul Asylum like he thinks that they sucked or something but than I was like well he had grunge and he was like well that was only for a few years so I think he respects what the grunge bands did in the 90's but he said he dislikes how big rap(or started to) become big in the late 80's.

Written By: tv on 08/29/07 at 8:27 am

Remember how big dance music was too like "This Is Your Night" by Amber, Ohh Ah Just A Little Bit..-Gina G, Chu Chu-Quad City DJ's, Tonight Is The Night-Le Click, Touch Me-Cathy Dennis, Move- This-Technotronic, Missing(Remix)-Everthing But The Girl, Free-Ultra Nate, We Like To Party-Vengaboys, Your Loving Arms-Billy Ray Martin, Show Me Love-Robin S, Total Eclipse Of the Heart-Nickie French(that song was huge too at the time, yeah I know it was a cover of a 80's song), Turn The Beat Around-Gloria Estefan(this was from 1994 too and yeah I know it was a cover of a 70's song)and Get Ready For This-2 Unlimited. 

Even some of the Pop and R&b acts did that 90's dance stuff or incoporated it into their music: This Is How We Do It-Montell Jordan., Beautiful Life-Ace of Base, Touch It-Monifah.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/29/07 at 9:04 am

My dad often talks about how much '90s music sucks. The peak of his "time" straddled the late '70s/early '80s period(he turned 16 in 1980), and he tends to like music from about 1976-1982 or so, even though he did like quite a bit of '80s music up until the end of the decade. He often talks about how Grunge(or "that screaming crap" as he calls it ;D) ruined music, but I think he, and others who feel that way, are sort of missing the point.

I'm not a huge Grunge fan either, I only like a few songs here or there, but I like alot of the "Post-Grunge" or "Grunge Pop" that it spawned in the later '90s. Deep Blue Something, Dishwalla, Foo Fighters, Presidents of the U.S.A., Better Than Ezra, etc. all have great songs. Unfortunately, they often get pigeonholed as being "just grunge" and so alot of people(like my dad) automatically hate them, despite the fact that they are much more poppy and catchy than a "true" grunge song.

Also, like you guys mentioned, dance music, R&B, and a few other genre's were all huge in the '90s.

Written By: audkal on 08/29/07 at 9:24 am

I think my parents actually like a little of every decade's music.  Though they really cling to the 70s stuff (this was their HS/college decade).  They never actually said '80s or '90s sucked, just that they prefer '70s.  Though my mom said she doesn't know much '80s music (mostly because she had my brothers and I all in the '80s, so she didn't really have time to listen to music then).  But I think there are a lot of pop songs from the '90s that they like.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/29/07 at 9:58 am

Ok. 90's British #1 singles I like:

'90: Nothing compares to you; sacrifice;
'91:sadness;
'92:would I lie to you;
'93:` all that she wants (passable)
'94: -
'95:back for good;fairground;gangsta's paradise;earth song
'96;jesus to a child;don't look back in anger;
'97:I believe I can fly;
'98: `No matter what; believe
'99:-

vs. 80's:

80:Working my way back to you; crying;winner takes it all; ashes to ashes;woman in love;
81:woman; jealous guy;being with you;ghost town;tainted love;don't you want me
82:The model;house of fun;do you really want to hurt me;
83: Too shy;True;Every breath you take;wherever I lay my hat (that's my home);give it up; karma chameleon;uptown girl
84:Careless whisper;I just called to say I love you;I should have known better;Do they know it's christmas
85:I want to know what love is;I know him so well;we are the world; move closer;If I was;The Power of love;
86:West end girls;The lady in red;
87:`
88:~
89:Eternal flame;

Well, it could well be a generational thing ... although I doubt that's the whole truth. I've said elsewhere that I have this theory that most people are gonna particularly like the music they were listening to when they were approx. 16 years of age ... + or - 2 years of age .... i.e; from 14-18, with 16 most likely. A number of exceptions have emerged empirically here, but quite a few where I've hit the nail on the head too!  I guess when you're all fired up / courting/ on the prowl, you're gonna be into the music more, having good times to that music that's in the background, on  your radio, etc;

The 90's vs 80's lists (BRITISH No.1's) above are my own judgements of the songs I thought were good to great .. i.e at least 5.5 out of 10. I left some songs out from the 80's that if they'd been in the 90's ... would've been selected ... because of the relative lack of competition in my eyes. I didn't put in 'Relax' (for instance), from 1984, because I'm much more likely to play those other songs listed from that year ...

I've said too, that to my ears, the music started to decline around 1986 ... which I think is reflected by the number of diminishing selections.

Obviously, a lot of great songs never made no.1, and aren't listed .. but I'd say it's a reasonable guess that I'd like many more  songs from 1980-85 than 85-90; 90-95;95-00. ... and that would be right. I think the songs ... as a whole ..  from that era had much stronger UNIQUE  melodies/ hooks as compared to what's followed since.

Around the late 80's .. the dreadful 'Stock/ Aitken/Waterman' monotonous formula sound emerged where we were introduced to the likes of Rick Astley, Kylie Minogue, and Jason Donovan  (heaven help us!).

As the 90's emerged, I noticed the monotonous droning of rap dominating, then a bunch of poor mans'/ womans' diva clones ... Whitney Houston for Aretha Franklin and Celine Dion for Barbara Streisand. Give me the originals any day! Yeah , it's true Whitney had been big since late '85 ... but she took a real stranglehold in the early 90's. We also had Mariah Carey  who managed to mess up one of my favourites 'Without you' by Nilsson. In '98 ... one of the worst abortions ever .. 'Stars on '54' destroying Gordon Lightfoot's beautiful 'If you could read my mind'.  Yes, and there was a lot of bland boy bands too (don't even mention the 'Spice Girls' (cringe). Plus a lot of 'boom-boom-boom-boom-boom' type dance music ... which young guys without much between their ears seemed to love driving around with their bass full on, volume full on .. to piss off the neigbourhoods wth that boom-boom etc; sound ... which is about all you'd ever hear!  >:(

I've bought the odd 90's compilation cd dirt cheap, just to expand on what I might've missed the first time around .. but found little of interest.

Over the last 5-10 years ... I've noticed so many rap songs stealing a great hook from a classic rock song to try to make it stand out from the dross. Some totally forgettable such piece of crap even sampled Toto's  'Africa' not long ago!

I have to admit, I'm not current / haven't been since the 90's began! ... can only mention the odd artist / hits  I like to the current  day ... which is probably at least 5 years ago.

Here's  a few others then: Paranoid Android ('97) by Radiohead; I'm like a bird .. Nellie Furtado; I'm walking away~Craig David; Wonderwall~Oasis

About the only new  albums I bought in the 90's was 'MCMXC' by Enigma and 'Together Alone' by 'Crowded House'.

So, yeah, I'd have to say that I'm still of the opinion that much of the music from the mid 80's on went into a steady decline ... with a few pearls along the way (which still occasionally emerge) ... and that for me, the musical heyday was from approx '67-'85.

:)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/29/07 at 2:27 pm

With all due respect, that blanket assumption that people only like what's around in the world when they're 16 is highly, HIGHLY stereotypical. Sure, alot of people do, but chances are that isn't ALL they like. You can't put everyone under the same roof just because of their birthyear, since every person is an individual.

I think I know why you say this - because you're from an older generation where that was typical. It seems more common since the 1980s for kids to be into things that are popular, to the point of the pop culture or experiences sticking with them as they get older. If you look around the board a bit in similar threads, etc. you'll see this from many people including myself.

One more thing, has anyone noticed the '80s get typecasted for their cornier music, while the '90s do for their controversial music (even if there's way more to both)?

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/29/07 at 3:15 pm

A number of exceptions have emerged empirically here, but quite a few where I've hit the nail on the head too!

Well, it could well be a generational thing ... although I doubt that's the whole truth.

That's just SOME of what I said above ^

Then you:

With all due respect, that blanket assumption that people only like what's around in the world when they're 16 is highly, HIGHLY stereotypical. Sure, there's some who do, but you can't put everyone under the same roof just because of their birthyear. Every person is an individual.

I think I know why you say this - because you're from an older generation where that was typical.

I hope other posters into this thread read / digest that paragraph a little more thoroughly / before my views / comments start getting totally misrepresented / misinterpreted after I've gone to some length to explain my position!  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 08/29/07 at 4:30 pm

It's a generational divide, I see Mariah getting ridiculed by the "classic rock" fanbase a lot whereas I think she's great and I love '90s R&B. Some people just don't like some of the best female voices I guess like Mariah, Christina, Whitney, etc. That's fine...but they don't suck.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/29/07 at 4:39 pm

Yeah, one thing I always liked about the '90s was that it had ALOT of female artists, probably more than any other decade has. Mariah, Janet Jackson, Sheryl Crow and Whitney Houston are probably the most recognizable, but it was all over the board. It seems like they were successful with almost every type of music too. You don't see that now.

It was a big span too. I'd say 1987 to 2002. Like when "Luka" came out or club/dance music like Lisa Lisa or that period's Janet Jackson (which influenced the singer-songwriter, Lilith Fair type music, and house, respectively) up to the Vanessa Carlton era.

Written By: whistledog on 08/29/07 at 4:44 pm

I admit that I am one who lumps most 90s music all into the bin marked 'crap' LOL

In Canada, we actually had alot of good songs that you don't have to go out of your way to find.  We had less hip-hop/R&B and Grunge than there was in the US chart, but we did get out fair share, but for the most part, the pop, rock and dance songs seemed to have been the dominant force

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/29/07 at 7:09 pm

As a Gen X’er, I don’t agree to the topic statement. I hate that classification of Generation X BTW, it, in itself is a lazy way of pigeonholing an age group w/o really knowing anything about them or me. We’re not Baby Boomers and not Flower Children or Hippies. So the media (of an older generation) couldn’t classify us (because they didn’t bother trying to understand us) called us Generation X, how intellectually lazy of them.

Anyway I don’t agree to the topic statement, there really there was a LOT of music going on in the 90’s that you’ve overlooked completely. The only way you can make a statement that “Gen Xer’s” or anyone pigeonholing 90’s music is by the type of music you were listening to at the time.
Most likely if your span of music was narrow, you were missing out on a lot.

Grunge, rap, R&B or the boy bands, to me that stuff was all ultra mainstream. I listened to them yes but that wasn’t the interesting stuff to listen to. Nirvana, Biggie, P-Diddy all began to sound so similar and played so often it turned into a new type of top 40 for me and many others, all background music. And I grew tired of that top 40 stuff LONG ago.

I’ll be the odd one out and mention some genres that we’ve forgot about or didn’t hear the first time around….

Trip-Hop - Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky.
Turtableisim/Lo Fi – DJ Shadow, Funki Porcini, St. Entine, Beck, Beastie Boys, Fatboy Slim
Lounge – There was a HUGE “Space Age Bachelor Pad Music” from the late 50’s- early 60’s resurgence in the 90’s (Ultra Lounge series for example).
Swing/be-bop – Also huge revival of this sound with bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers and the like.
Dance/Ambient/Downbeat/Rave/Trance – At least in the US the upswing in instrumental & dance like never before

Now that I think of it, actually to my sensibilities, the 90’s were overflowing with music diversity that has not been matched to this day. Other than the explosion of music and downloading on line the 00’s will not meet that diversity of talent and growth in music.

Written By: tv on 08/30/07 at 8:37 am

As a Gen X’er, I don’t agree to the topic statement. I hate that classification of Generation X BTW, it, in itself is a lazy way of pigeonholing an age group w/o really knowing anything about them or me. We’re not Baby Boomers and not Flower Children or Hippies. So the media (of an older generation) couldn’t classify us (because they didn’t bother trying to understand us) called us Generation X, how intellectually lazy of them.

Anyway I don’t agree to the topic statement, there really there was a LOT of music going on in the 90’s that you’ve overlooked completely. The only way you can make a statement that “Gen Xer’s” or anyone pigeonholing 90’s music is by the type of music you were listening to at the time.
Most likely if your span of music was narrow, you were missing out on a lot.

Grunge, rap, R&B or the boy bands, to me that stuff was all ultra mainstream. I listened to them yes but that wasn’t the interesting stuff to listen to. Nirvana, Biggie, P-Diddy all began to sound so similar and played so often it turned into a new type of top 40 for me and many others, all background music. And I grew tired of that top 40 stuff LONG ago.

I’ll be the odd one out and mention some genres that we’ve forgot about or didn’t hear the first time around….

Trip-Hop - Portishead, Massive Attack, Tricky.
Turtableisim/Lo Fi – DJ Shadow, Funki Porcini, St. Entine, Beck, Beastie Boys, Fatboy Slim
Lounge – There was a HUGE “Space Age Bachelor Pad Music” from the late 50’s- early 60’s resurgence in the 90’s (Ultra Lounge series for example).
Swing/be-bop – Also huge revival of this sound with bands like Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, Squirrel Nut Zippers and the like.
Dance/Ambient/Downbeat/Rave/Trance – At least in the US the upswing in instrumental & dance like never before

Now that I think of it, actually to my sensibilities, the 90’s were overflowing with music diversity that has not been matched to this day. Other than the explosion of music and downloading on line the 00’s will not meet that diversity of talent and growth in music.
First off how does Nirvana sound like P. Diddy? Where do you get comparing a grunge to a pop-rap act? I don;t understand that one. As for Nirvana they weren;t getting played on Top 40 radio all the time besides what is actually so bad about played on radio? Just because a song is played on Top 40 radio doesn;t make it bad.  Isn't that the whole point of getting your music heard? To have it played on radio.

I agree about the boy bands they were way too overexposed.

As for the state of top 40 as a whole currently I agree it pretty much sucks now put it didn;t suck like 12 even 10 years ago.

As for the Notorious BIG he wasn;t great lyrically like a rapper like Nas is but his mic presence is what people took notice of as an artist. Biggie was better than Jay-Z in my opinion.

I have heard of Portished, Tricky,Squirel Nut Zippers, Big Vodoo Daddy, and Massive Attrack but I haven;t heard a CD by those artists. I agree though there is some 90's music that probably wasn't heard. BTW, I think the rock station that I used too listen too used to played a song by the Squirrel Nut Zippers in the mid 90's(forgot the name of the song.) Of course we all have heard of the Beastie Boys, Beck, and Fatboy Slim, and I have heard of DJ Shadow.

I think Electronica in the US had a presence in the music scene from 1996-1998 stuff like Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and the Crystal Method.

On a side note does anybody remember that late 80's/early 90's Pop/R&B group "Surface" their 1991 hit "For The First Time" thats a good romantic ballad. They also scored big with "Shower Me With Your Love" in the late 80's timeframe. "For the First Time" was a great song though. Anybody remember Masterpice by Atlantic Starr from 1992 that was another great R&b slow jam.

Written By: tv on 08/30/07 at 9:00 am

Ok. 90's British #1 singles I like:

'90: Nothing compares to you; sacrifice;
'91:sadness;
'92:would I lie to you;
'93:` all that she wants (passable)
'94: -
'95:back for good;fairground;gangsta's paradise;earth song
'96;jesus to a child;don't look back in anger;
'97:I believe I can fly;
'98: `No matter what; believe
'99:-

vs. 80's:

80:Working my way back to you; crying;winner takes it all; ashes to ashes;woman in love;
81:woman; jealous guy;being with you;ghost town;tainted love;don't you want me
82:The model;house of fun;do you really want to hurt me;
83: Too shy;True;Every breath you take;wherever I lay my hat (that's my home);give it up; karma chameleon;uptown girl
84:Careless whisper;I just called to say I love you;I should have known better;Do they know it's christmas
85:I want to know what love is;I know him so well;we are the world; move closer;If I was;The Power of love;
86:West end girls;The lady in red;
87:`
88:~
89:Eternal flame;

Well, it could well be a generational thing ... although I doubt that's the whole truth. I've said elsewhere that I have this theory that most people are gonna particularly like the music they were listening to when they were approx. 16 years of age ... + or - 2 years of age .... i.e; from 14-18, with 16 most likely. A number of exceptions have emerged empirically here, but quite a few where I've hit the nail on the head too!  I guess when you're all fired up / courting/ on the prowl, you're gonna be into the music more, having good times to that music that's in the background, on  your radio, etc;

The 90's vs 80's lists (BRITISH No.1's) above are my own judgements of the songs I thought were good to great .. i.e at least 5.5 out of 10. I left some songs out from the 80's that if they'd been in the 90's ... would've been selected ... because of the relative lack of competition in my eyes. I didn't put in 'Relax' (for instance), from 1984, because I'm much more likely to play those other songs listed from that year ...

I've said too, that to my ears, the music started to decline around 1986 ... which I think is reflected by the number of diminishing selections.

Obviously, a lot of great songs never made no.1, and aren't listed .. but I'd say it's a reasonable guess that I'd like many more  songs from 1980-85 than 85-90; 90-95;95-00. ... and that would be right. I think the songs ... as a whole ..  from that era had much stronger UNIQUE  melodies/ hooks as compared to what's followed since.

Around the late 80's .. the dreadful 'Stock/ Aitken/Waterman' monotonous formula sound emerged where we were introduced to the likes of Rick Astley, Kylie Minogue, and Jason Donovan  (heaven help us!).

As the 90's emerged, I noticed the monotonous droning of rap dominating, then a bunch of poor mans'/ womans' diva clones ... Whitney Houston for Aretha Franklin and Celine Dion for Barbara Streisand. Give me the originals any day! Yeah , it's true Whitney had been big since late '85 ... but she took a real stranglehold in the early 90's. We also had Mariah Carey  who managed to mess up one of my favourites 'Without you' by Nilsson. In '98 ... one of the worst abortions ever .. 'Stars on '54' destroying Gordon Lightfoot's beautiful 'If you could read my mind'.  Yes, and there was a lot of bland boy bands too (don't even mention the 'Spice Girls' (cringe). Plus a lot of 'boom-boom-boom-boom-boom' type dance music ... which young guys without much between their ears seemed to love driving around with their bass full on, volume full on .. to piss off the neigbourhoods wth that boom-boom etc; sound ... which is about all you'd ever hear!  >:(

I've bought the odd 90's compilation cd dirt cheap, just to expand on what I might've missed the first time around .. but found little of interest.

Over the last 5-10 years ... I've noticed so many rap songs stealing a great hook from a classic rock song to try to make it stand out from the dross. Some totally forgettable such piece of crap even sampled Toto's  'Africa' not long ago!

I have to admit, I'm not current / haven't been since the 90's began! ... can only mention the odd artist / hits  I like to the current  day ... which is probably at least 5 years ago.

Here's  a few others then: Paranoid Android ('97) by Radiohead; I'm like a bird .. Nellie Furtado; I'm walking away~Craig David; Wonderwall~Oasis

:)
Craig David also had a hit with "7 Days" back in 2001 that was a good song too. He was a Throw back to the 80's and 90's Smooth R&B genre in my opinion in being Babyface-Esque.

BtW, you got some good songs listed for the 80's and 90's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/30/07 at 9:14 am

That's just SOME of what I said above ^

Then you:

I hope other posters into this thread read / digest that paragraph a little more thoroughly / before my views / comments start getting totally misrepresented / misinterpreted after I've gone to some length to explain my position!  ::)

Sorry man, I guess I reacted a little too quick there, lol. That's just a pet peeve that I've ran across with alot of slightly older people (I don't care about myself necesarilly, but anyone whom it could be referring to), but I apologize if I didn't read it throughly enough. :)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/30/07 at 10:05 am

Craig David also had a hit with "7 Days" back in 2001 that was a good song too. He was a Throw back to the 80's and 90's Smooth R&B genre in my opinion in being Babyface-Esque.

BtW, you got some good songs listed for the 80's and 90's.

Hey, thanks for that feedback 'tv'. I'm  sure there's been a  bunch of songs from the 90's to the present day that I like, and haven't mentioned ... 'cause they haven't come to mind. Before I go on, yes ... I know '7 days' ... and think that's good too ... but I thought Craig's warbling on 'Walking away' was particularly distinctive ... and prefer that song of the two.

So a few other songs to mention in passing ...
Sheryl Crow song 'All I wanna do' nice dreamy guitar ('94);

'A girl like you', by Edwyn Collins ('95) .... but that's a great tune that sounds so retro .. it could easily pass for an 80's song ...

Lighthouse Family hits: 'Lifted' ('96) .. and 'High' ('98). However ... I have to say this group could easily blend into the '70s with their sound ... dated but great.

Time to say goodbye: Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli .... one for the generations ... particularly mums/dads/grannies!

More recently ... 'Amazing' by Alex Lloyd

Well, there's a few more  ^ .. although I'm sure there's  others. Anyhow.  :)  8)

Sorry man, I guess I reacted a little too quick there, lol. That's just a pet peeve that I've ran across with alot of slightly older people (I don't care about myself necesarilly, but anyone whom it could be referring to), but I apologize if I didn't read it throughly enough. :)

Hey Marty ... apology appreciated ... accepted .. and thanks. Yes ... I know I'm an 'old fart'  ;D / getting long in the tooth. Nothing will change my opinion that the years I've mentioned  .. '67-'85 were probably when music was at it's greatest height for the sheer number of great quality tunes that came out .. that sounded so highly distinctive compared to a lot of what's followed since .... but that's just my opinion ... and I'm longish in the tooth now .... so maybe just humour me  :D ;D

As for that '16' years of age thing ... I still feel that perhaps (to elaborate a bit more) that around 75% of people picked randomly off the street ... if you asked them/ forced them to pick just one year that they thought had the greatest music ...  I suspect you would find that music was when they were 14-18 years of age. Of course .... there will be plenty of exceptions ... and I found several in this thread that I started a while back:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27954.0

I think you were one of the respondents too.

Anyway, all interesting stuff, and certainly worth discussing 'pigeonholing'.

See ya!

:) 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/30/07 at 12:00 pm

I think that, these days, people are becoming more and more imprinted by the music they liked at a younger age. Back in the '50s-'70s pop culture was more focused on older teens/younger adults. In the '80s it started to shift to younger ages, even though it still appealed to people in there late teens/20s/30s. In the '90s and certainly '00s, it seems much more focused on the under 18 crowd, with only limited appeal to older people.

This is why I think that a, say 27 year old, might be more nostalgic for what was popular when he was 8 in 1988 than a 47 year old would be for what was popular when he was 8 in 1968. It wouldn't be that unusual for an 8 year old in 1988 to like some music, even if he might not be die hard fan, but it would seem kinda strange for an 8 year old in 1968 to be.

I'm mostly basing this on personal experience. I see alot of people on this board born in the '70s, for example, that love '80s music despite some of them being pretty young through the decade. Alot of people my age, me included, prefer '90s music to today's as well. On the other hand most people born before the '70s tend to prefer music that was popular when they were in there teens.

I'm not saying that I don't like songs from the year I was 16(2003), but, overall I like music from the late '80s and early '90s the most, even though I was still very young at that time.

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/30/07 at 12:23 pm

mach!ne_he@d
Still 8-bit After all These Years
Tuxedo Sam

Karamel Sutra: 99

Hey 'Machine Head' ... looks like you could use some 'ticking over'. Allow me to have the honour!

I'm in a generous mood .....

mach!ne_he@d
Still 8-bit After all These Years
Tuxedo Sam

Karamel Sutra: 100
  'Ah, that's better!'  ;D

Ok .... whilst I'm at it ... have a free album! I think this one might be highly appropriate!

http://img74.imageshack.us/img74/2761/machine5pu1.jpg
:D ;D

Written By: gumbypiz on 08/30/07 at 12:33 pm

First off how does Nirvana sound like P. Diddy? Where do you get comparing a grunge to a pop-rap act? I don;t understand that one. As for Nirvana they weren't getting played on Top 40 radio all the time besides what is actually so bad about played on radio? Just because a song is played on Top 40 radio doesn;t make it bad.  Isn't that the whole point of getting your music heard? To have it played on radio.

As for the state of top 40 as a whole currently I agree it pretty much sucks now put it didn't suck like 12 even 10 years ago.

As for the Notorious BIG he wasn;t great lyrically like a rapper like Nas is but his mic presence is what people took notice of as an artist. Biggie was better than Jay-Z in my opinion.

I have heard of Portished, Tricky,Squirel Nut Zippers, Big Vodoo Daddy, and Massive Attrack but I haven;t heard a CD by those artists. I agree though there is some 90's music that probably wasn't heard. BTW, I think the rock station that I used too listen too used to played a song by the Squirrel Nut Zippers in the mid 90's(forgot the name of the song.) Of course we all have heard of the Beastie Boys, Beck, and Fatboy Slim, and I have heard of DJ Shadow.

I think Electronica in the US had a presence in the music scene from 1996-1998 stuff like Chemical Brothers, Prodigy, and the Crystal Method.

On a side note does anybody remember that late 80's/early 90's Pop/R&B group "Surface" their 1991 hit "For The First Time" thats a good romantic ballad. They also scored big with "Shower Me With Your Love" in the late 80's timeframe. "For the First Time" was a great song though. Anybody remember Masterpice by Atlantic Starr from 1992 that was another great R&b slow jam.

You misunderstood my statement.
Grunge is not like rap or pop, but LIKE pop its overwhelming exposure on the radio and the mushrooming of similar bands from the "grunge" or Seattle-Northwest band scene in the early '90 blunted its uniqueness and any type of growth or imagination it may have had at its emergence onto the music scene.

Pretty much the same result that top 40 programming has had or has done to music and radio in the past. Whatever mosh that grunge and most other bands that were being played on the radio became to me just another version of top 40 to me. Same stuff, played over and over. Maybe its just me, I have a low tolerance for repetition.

And don't be confused by the name or music type called "grunge". Being a grunge band doesn't make its music more creative or imaginative by default then a rap pop act or any other.  It was marketed, boxed, spun on radio and sold for the same result and profit as pop. The labels signed them for the same reason they signed pop acts, to make money.

Not sure of you're location but I was living in DC/MD/VA, Detroit, and LA in the 90's and grunge was DEFINITELY being played constantly on the radio.

Whats wrong with being played on radio? A lot, at least as radio has been programmed in the last decade.
What you hear on radio is NOT the representation of the best of whats out there. I'm reminded of all those wannabe bands that jump on the bandwagon or are signed by the labels to make a few bucks on the trend to get their push on the air, substandard acts, played ad infinitum in rotation, that will become "popular" and in my opinion thereby pull down even further the quality and growth of music in general. I personally take offense that one person in a corporate office is deciding what will become a Billboard breakout hit due to its heavy rotation on a clear channel-ish station, when there is SO much more out there that is not getting airplay.

Now, the bands that I mentioned (with the exception of few obvious ones) did not get, or did not receive widespread airplay in the US (UK is a different story). Nas, as you mentioned, is a good example. While getting some spin now, a few years back, he wasn't. His mic presence that you mentioned wasn't mainstream and therefore not easily marketable (or so they say) to radio. It irks me that there was (and is) so much more that is not getting recognition.

I'm not saying that I don't listen to the radio, or that there wasn't good music or bands played on the radio, just that we need to be more aware that the music that we hear on the radio is carefully controlled by marketing people who are purposely limiting the types of music we hear and therefore what becomes popular or familiar to our ears. I think its for this reason we are more prone to categorize music when, in fact in order to categorize any group, we need to have a better scope of what examples of a type of music exist before we can make judgments.

In that case, most radio programming (US) fails us miserably. If it doesn't' fit the categories that they have trained us to like, it doesn't get play, and we don't hear it.

For that reason its hard to qualify any group of people of pigeonholing any era of music when we were (at least as radio is concerned) weren't ever exposed to all that was out there.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/30/07 at 12:38 pm

Hey 'Machine Head' ... looks like you could use some 'ticking over'. Allow me to have the honour!

I'm in a generous mood .....
  'Ah, that's better!'  ;D

Ok .... whilst I'm at it ... have a free album! I think this one might be highly appropriate!

*Karma +1*

Thanks man, I've been stuck on 99 Karamels since yesterday ;)

Written By: Green Lantern on 08/30/07 at 12:44 pm

Cheers! I hope you like your album, by the way!  ;D

It certainly is one of THE great albums of all time!  :) 8)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/30/07 at 12:51 pm

Cheers! I hope you like your album, by the way!  ;D

It certainly is one of THE great albums of all time!  :) 8)

I do actually. I've liked classic rock since I was a little kid, and Deep Purple has always been a favorite 8)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/30/07 at 4:56 pm

First off how does Nirvana sound like P. Diddy? Where do you get comparing a grunge to a pop-rap act? I don;t understand that one. As for Nirvana they weren;t getting played on Top 40 radio all the time besides what is actually so bad about played on radio? Just because a song is played on Top 40 radio doesn;t make it bad.  Isn't that the whole point of getting your music heard? To have it played on radio.

As for the state of top 40 as a whole currently I agree it pretty much sucks now put it didn;t suck like 12 even 10 years ago.

Yeah, I always liked "Masterpiece" myself. That's another good point about '90s music in general, the slow jam stuff. I think it even continued as late as 1998ish, with Brian McKnight and such.

Even though I was never the biggest grunge fan, I like a few songs and I can appreciate its impact (as much as I like hair metal, the last run stuff from 1990 and early '91 from the Warrants and Slaughters sort of sucked and lacked originality, lol). I know I heard Nirvana on rock stations and MTV quite a bit. I believe "Come As You Are" did cross over to pop stations, but like you said, that's not a bad thing, since more people probably got into them that way.

Written By: tv on 08/31/07 at 8:18 pm

You misunderstood my statement.
Grunge is not like rap or pop, but LIKE pop its overwhelming exposure on the radio and the mushrooming of similar bands from the "grunge" or Seattle-Northwest band scene in the early '90 blunted its uniqueness and any type of growth or imagination it may have had at its emergence onto the music scene.

Pretty much the same result that top 40 programming has had or has done to music and radio in the past. Whatever mosh that grunge and most other bands that were being played on the radio became to me just another version of top 40 to me. Same stuff, played over and over. Maybe its just me, I have a low tolerance for repetition.

And don't be confused by the name or music type called "grunge". Being a grunge band doesn't make its music more creative or imaginative by default then a rap pop act or any other.  It was marketed, boxed, spun on radio and sold for the same result and profit as pop. The labels signed them for the same reason they signed pop acts, to make money.

Not sure of you're location but I was living in DC/MD/VA, Detroit, and LA in the 90's and grunge was DEFINITELY being played constantly on the radio.

Whats wrong with being played on radio? A lot, at least as radio has been programmed in the last decade.
What you hear on radio is NOT the representation of the best of whats out there. I'm reminded of all those wannabe bands that jump on the bandwagon or are signed by the labels to make a few bucks on the trend to get their push on the air, substandard acts, played ad infinitum in rotation, that will become "popular" and in my opinion thereby pull down even further the quality and growth of music in general. I personally take offense that one person in a corporate office is deciding what will become a Billboard breakout hit due to its heavy rotation on a clear channel-ish station, when there is SO much more out there that is not getting airplay.

Now, the bands that I mentioned (with the exception of few obvious ones) did not get, or did not receive widespread airplay in the US (UK is a different story). Nas, as you mentioned, is a good example. While getting some spin now, a few years back, he wasn't. His mic presence that you mentioned wasn't mainstream and therefore not easily marketable (or so they say) to radio. It irks me that there was (and is) so much more that is not getting recognition.

I'm not saying that I don't listen to the radio, or that there wasn't good music or bands played on the radio, just that we need to be more aware that the music that we hear on the radio is carefully controlled by marketing people who are purposely limiting the types of music we hear and therefore what becomes popular or familiar to our ears. I think its for this reason we are more prone to categorize music when, in fact in order to categorize any group, we need to have a better scope of what examples of a type of music exist before we can make judgments.

In that case, most radio programming (US) fails us miserably. If it doesn't' fit the categories that they have trained us to like, it doesn't get play, and we don't hear it.

For that reason its hard to qualify any group of people of pigeonholing any era of music when we were (at least as radio is concerned) weren't ever exposed to all that was out there.

Well what your taliking abouy I agree we don;t get exposed to alot of music that is out there because of the marketing people. It does make me upset that you have to be a rap act or a very young pop singer(example: Rihanna) to get airplay. I mean even rock musuc can;t even get decent airplay on Top 40 radio in the 90's they did in the 90's. A band like Alice In Chains or Soundgarden wasn;t played on Top 40 radio but they did play Pearl Jam and like Stone Temple Pilots songs and some Smashing Pumpkins as well in the 90's.

As far as Grunge bands being more imaginative or creative than a pop-rap act I didn;t mean just to suggest that just because a band is labeled they are better than a pop-pop act. Of course Grunge bands were signed by labels to make money. Why isn't that the whole objective of a record company is to make money. See the problem the problem with somebody saying well Grunge was played all the time in radio in the 90's its not like grunge acts got chart topping hits out of the deal. I mean look at the charts at the time from 1992-1995 when grunge was dominant I mean Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson, Whitney Houston, Toni Braxton, TLC,  and  Boyz II Men were topping the charts.

As for Nas I didn;t address his mic presence I was saying that he's a better lyricist as opposed to Notirious BIG and in my opinion Biggie was popular because mostly of his mic presence. It seems like people took more notice of Nas once he had that fued with Jay-Z and did that track "Ether" and came out with hits off his :Stillmatic album from 2002 like "Made You Look", "Got Yourself" and especially "One Mic". In late 2006/early 2007 people took notice again of Nas when he came out with that daring song called "If Hip-Hop Is Dead"(at least he had the guts to say what was on my mind about the state of hip-hop and no other rapper had or has the guts to say what Nas has said about the state of hip-hop in general whats on his mind about the state of hip-hop.)

As far as a person in a coorperate office pushing what will become popular I didn;t mind the music that was on the radio in the 90's but in the 00's(maybe starting with 1999) it seems like the recording industry is going for a younger audience than they did in the 90's. .It seems like Generation Y(born 1982+) is more into catchy 4 minute pop or rap songs that cusper GenX/GenY(born 1976-1981)  would laugh at. Examples of this would be "Crazy" by Britney Spears, In Da Club by 50 Cent, Girlfriend-Avril Lavigne, Laffy Taffy-DL4, Grillz-Nelly, and This Is Why I'm Hot-Mims.

I agree we are not hearing alot of stuff from radio that could be getting airplay because a song or group may not be "whats in style" right now but I wouldn;t have said this in 1998.

Written By: tv on 08/31/07 at 8:45 pm

I think that, these days, people are becoming more and more imprinted by the music they liked at a younger age. Back in the '50s-'70s pop culture was more focused on older teens/younger adults. In the '80s it started to shift to younger ages, even though it still appealed to people in there late teens/20s/30s. In the '90s and certainly '00s, it seems much more focused on the under 18 crowd, with only limited appeal to older people.

I'm not saying that I don't like songs from the year I was 16(2003), but, overall I like music from the late '80s and early '90s the most, even though I was still very young at that time.
No, I would have to disagree with you heavily on 90's and 00's music having the same age listening audience of 18 and under 90's music was listened to older people like in 1994 because  I;m sure a 40 year old liked Mariah Carey, Jon Secada, Toni Braxton, or Amy Grant but I don;t think a 40 year old would listen to Stone Temple Pilots, The Offspring, or Green Day in 1994 even though an occasional classic rock fan from back in the day may have enjoyed a band like Stone Temple Pilots in 1994.

As far as 00's music goes I like some of it even though I am 27.

Written By: tv on 08/31/07 at 8:55 pm

Hey, thanks for that feedback 'tv'. I'm  sure there's been a  bunch of songs from the 90's to the present day that I like, and haven't mentioned ... 'cause they haven't come to mind. Before I go on, yes ... I know '7 days' ... and think that's good too ... but I thought Craig's warbling on 'Walking away' was particularly distinctive ... and prefer that song of the two.

So a few other songs to mention in passing ...
Sheryl Crow song 'All I wanna do' nice dreamy guitar ('94);

'A girl like you', by Edwyn Collins ('95) .... but that's a great tune that sounds so retro .. it could easily pass for an 80's song ...

Lighthouse Family hits: 'Lifted' ('96) .. and 'High' ('98). However ... I have to say this group could easily blend into the '70s with their sound ... dated but great.

Time to say goodbye: Sarah Brightman & Andrea Bocelli .... one for the generations ... particularly mums/dads/grannies!

More recently ... 'Amazing' by Alex Lloyd

Well, there's a few more  ^ .. although I'm sure there's  others. Anyhow.  :)  8)

Hey Marty ... apology appreciated ... accepted .. and thanks. Yes ... I know I'm an 'old fart'  ;D / getting long in the tooth. Nothing will change my opinion that the years I've mentioned  .. '67-'85 were probably when music was at it's greatest height for the sheer number of great quality tunes that came out .. that sounded so highly distinctive compared to a lot of what's followed since .... but that's just my opinion ... and I'm longish in the tooth now .... so maybe just humour me  :D ;D

As for that '16' years of age thing ... I still feel that perhaps (to elaborate a bit more) that around 75% of people picked randomly off the street ... if you asked them/ forced them to pick just one year that they thought had the greatest music ...  I suspect you would find that music was when they were 14-18 years of age. Of course .... there will be plenty of exceptions ... and I found several in this thread that I started a while back:
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27954.0

I think you were one of the respondents too.

Anyway, all interesting stuff, and certainly worth discussing 'pigeonholing'.

See ya!

:) 8)
Um, ok on the 1967-1985 era I mean 1979-1982 I don;t think was that great especially after the disco collapse.

As far as Edwyn Collin "A Gril Like You" sounding 80's I  don;t think it sounded 80's  but it does sound retro yes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/01/07 at 12:10 pm

No, I would have to disagree with you heavily on 90's and 00's music having the same age listening audience of 18 and under 90's music was listened to older people like in 1994 because  I;m sure a 40 year old liked Mariah Carey, Jon Secada, Toni Braxton, or Amy Grant but I don;t think a 40 year old would listen to Stone Temple Pilots, The Offspring, or Green Day in 1994 even though an occasional classic rock fan from back in the day may have enjoyed a band like Stone Temple Pilots in 1994.

As far as 00's music goes I like some of it even though I am 27.

I was talking about music from the later '90s, Teen pop/nu-metal etc. There may have been some older people that liked that, but it was mostly focused on people about 11-16 or so.

Music from 1991-1996 was more focused on older teens and twentysomethings so I agree with you there. I'm 20, and I like some current music, but mostly post grunge like the Foo Fighters, or A/C.

Written By: Dian on 09/22/07 at 6:38 am

I was born in 1988 and I like 1990s music. I don't like the music from 2002-2006, but I like some music from 2007, because it seems that pop is coming back with Disney and othe bubblegum pop artists! I must confess that I liked and still like the 90s teen pop and eurodance. I hope that those music styles are soon coming back to mainstream popularity and intending to stay longer this time! I'm relly fed up with 2002-2006 music - only rap, R&B, emo and whore pop. I like mid to late 1990s music the best, however I also like a lot of songs from 2000 and 2001. To sum up, I like the 1990s music, hate the music from 2002 to 2006 and totally love the music from 1995 to 2001. I also like the newest Disney acts since they sound so similar to late 90s teen pop icons.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/22/07 at 9:01 am

I was born in 1988 and I like 1990s music. I don't like the music from 2002-2006, but I like some music from 2007, because it seems that pop is coming back with Disney and othe bubblegum pop artists! I must confess that I liked and still like the 90s teen pop and eurodance. I hope that those music styles are soon coming back to mainstream popularity and intending to stay longer this time! I'm relly fed up with 2002-2006 music - only rap, R&B, emo and whore pop. I like mid to late 1990s music the best, however I also like a lot of songs from 2000 and 2001. To sum up, I like the 1990s music, hate the music from 2002 to 2006 and totally love the music from 1995 to 2001. I also like the newest Disney acts since they sound so similar to late 90s teen pop icons.

I pretty much feel the same way. I'm only about a year older than you, so I grew up listening to mid/late '90s music too and I like alot of songs from that era. IMO there were alot of good songs in the 2002-2006 peroid, but not nearly as good as the late '80s and most of the '90s.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 10/26/07 at 7:42 pm

I always looked at 80's and 90's music together.  The early 90's IMO, had alot of influence from the 80's in terms of style, but they added a little too it.  I always look at 80's 90's music sort of in the same category, because it was pretty much the last era of good music we had.  These days you dont see really popular bands anymore, like Metallica, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, ect.  Even those 80's/90's music is pretty different, I still kinda view it all in one category, well, atleast the early 90's.  Around 96 the style started to change into what we have today.

But, like a previous poster said, even High School students today think current music is crap.  Teens are sick of all the constant drama that BS like all the emo music keeps putting out.  I mean, most music today will probably never be played on the oldies station, just because, it wasnt popular or worth remembering in the first place.  Todays music wont last, none of it has.  It just comes, and fades away and is forgotten, and really, none of its a hit.  Todays "hits", if you could call them that, only last a week or two before dropping off the face of the earth.  Then again, I could say that about some music in the late 90's.  There was one song that I cant remember the name of, but it was very popular for a while, and then I never saw that artist again.  This is a really crappy trend that needs to stop =/.

Written By: tv on 10/27/07 at 6:53 pm

I always looked at 80's and 90's music together.  The early 90's IMO, had alot of influence from the 80's in terms of style, but they added a little too it.  I always look at 80's 90's music sort of in the same category, because it was pretty much the last era of good music we had.  These days you dont see really popular bands anymore, like Metallica, Nirvana, Alice in Chains, ect.  Even those 80's/90's music is pretty different, I still kinda view it all in one category, well, atleast the early 90's.  Around 96 the style started to change into what we have today.

But, like a previous poster said, even High School students today think current music is crap.  Teens are sick of all the constant drama that BS like all the emo music keeps putting out.  I mean, most music today will probably never be played on the oldies station, just because, it wasnt popular or worth remembering in the first place.  Todays music wont last, none of it has.  It just comes, and fades away and is forgotten, and really, none of its a hit.  Todays "hits", if you could call them that, only last a week or two before dropping off the face of the earth.  Then again, I could say that about some music in the late 90's.  There was one song that I cant remember the name of, but it was very popular for a while, and then I never saw that artist again.  This is a really crappy trend that needs to stop =/.
I think 00's music may get backslashed badly in th 2010's the way the 70's got backlashed in the 80's and the 80's got backlashed in the 90's.

Yeah you don;t see any good popular bands anymore like Alice in Chains like you said.

The last adult year of music probablly was like 1998 when an artist like Brian McKinght or Montell Jordan could still chart pretty good on the Billboards.

Yeah your right the early 90's was kinda of an evolution of 80's music I mean in 1993 Billy Joel, and "Expose" still charted not to mention Duran Duran's comeback that year too. An artist like Prince still could chart very high in 1991 and Phil Collins and Genesis were still making hits up till 1994.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/27/07 at 7:47 pm

That's actually a very good point. One reason for the gimmicky glam/hip hop singles might be just that there aren't really any classic albums or artists in general anymore, so they just don't put that much effort into it in the first place. As long as it's a club or a party hit for two months. Other than a handful of songs, I think 2002 is probably the last year that sort of fits the "oldies" bill in terms of having a good variety of songs that people will remember. Especially before 1997 though, like you said.

I could see Maroon 5, Fountains of Wayne and stuff like that being remembered, maybe a few songs like "Let's Get it Started", but that's just a small percentage. Alot of the better music doesn't really get promoted that well either. I mean, I've never heard Rooney on the radio.

Written By: sonikuu on 10/27/07 at 8:38 pm

I think the 00s will definitely get a backlash similar to the 80s backlash in the 90s.

However, to say that 00s music won't be remember 10-20 years from now is foolish.  People have been saying that for years.  Heck, I've read a couple music books that were written in the 90s and they decried the 80s as being supposedly a dark period of music where image and production values were valued over talent, due to the advent of music video and that, as a result, 80s music was, for the most part, nothing but disposable trash.  However, the 80s are still easily remembered and may go down as one of the most well remembered decades of all time, if only because they stand out so much when compared to the 70s and 90s.  Now, a lot of the music of the 00s is crap (just like how the 80s and 90s had tons of terrible songs alongside the good ones, although the good:bad ratio was better back then), and it will definitely get a backlash in the 2010s, but in the long run, it'll be just like the 80s: a decade that everyone knows was extremely cheesy, but also a decade that is remembered, partly due to that cheesiness.  00s nostalgia will come eventually.

Perhaps the best opinion on the situation is one I got from another forum (very active forum with tons of sub-boards.  We're talking 5000 people on it at a time active, albeit split among hundreds of boards) I go to, one that is mostly people aged 16-22 (teens and early 20s).  This board is also home to a large nostalgia movement, as the people on the social boards sometimes like to complain that the 90s were better than the 00s.  One day, somone posed the question: what will this board be like in ten years.  In only five or so posts, one guy replied saying "A bunch of teenagers complaining that the 2010s suck and that the 2000s were better.  The more things change, the more they stay the same."  

Written By: tv on 10/28/07 at 7:17 pm

That's actually a very good point. One reason for the gimmicky glam/hip hop singles might be just that there aren't really any classic albums or artists in general anymore, so they just don't put that much effort into it in the first place. As long as it's a club or a party hit for two months. Other than a handful of songs, I think 2002 is probably the last year that sort of fits the "oldies" bill in terms of having a good variety of songs that people will remember. Especially before 1997 though, like you said.

I could see Maroon 5, Fountains of Wayne and stuff like that being remembered, maybe a few songs like "Let's Get it Started", but that's just a small percentage. Alot of the better music doesn't really get promoted that well either. I mean, I've never heard Rooney on the radio.
Most of theose gimmicky hip-hop songs are turn out to be like one or two hit wonders at best. Look at DL 4 they are a one hit wonder. "Mims" is a 2 hit wonder he had a #1 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 this year with "This Is WHy I;m Hot" but his second single do as good called "Like This" but "Like This" might have peaked at #35 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Ah the 00's people will remember Kanye West and Alicia Keys 10 years down the line. I think 50 Cent will be remembered(wether you like or dislike him) because he pretty defined the classic 00's era if you will from 2003-2005 and his 2 albums sold great in "Get Rich Or Die Tryin" and "The Massacre." I think Green Day's comeback in late 2004-mid 2005 will be remembered as will the band "The Killers". The Pussycatt Dolls may be remembered too.

As for a band like "Roney" not being played on radio I like "The Artic Monkeys" but they're not popular in the US as is the band "She Wants Revenge"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/30/07 at 11:39 am

I think the 00s will definitely get a backlash similar to the 80s backlash in the 90s.

However, to say that 00s music won't be remember 10-20 years from now is foolish.  People have been saying that for years.  Heck, I've read a couple music books that were written in the 90s and they decried the 80s as being supposedly a dark period of music where image and production values were valued over talent, due to the advent of music video and that, as a result, 80s music was, for the most part, nothing but disposable trash.  However, the 80s are still easily remembered and may go down as one of the most well remembered decades of all time, if only because they stand out so much when compared to the 70s and 90s.  Now, a lot of the music of the 00s is crap (just like how the 80s and 90s had tons of terrible songs alongside the good ones, although the good:bad ratio was better back then), and it will definitely get a backlash in the 2010s, but in the long run, it'll be just like the 80s: a decade that everyone knows was extremely cheesy, but also a decade that is remembered, partly due to that cheesiness.  00s nostalgia will come eventually.

Perhaps the best opinion on the situation is one I got from another forum (very active forum with tons of sub-boards.  We're talking 5000 people on it at a time active, albeit split among hundreds of boards) I go to, one that is mostly people aged 16-22 (teens and early 20s).  This board is also home to a large nostalgia movement, as the people on the social boards sometimes like to complain that the 90s were better than the 00s.  One day, somone posed the question: what will this board be like in ten years.  In only five or so posts, one guy replied saying "A bunch of teenagers complaining that the 2010s suck and that the 2000s were better.  The more things change, the more they stay the same."  

I totally agree. There's no doubt that there will eventually be nostalgia for the 2000's. As time goes on it's just natural that people start to miss there childhood or high school days. Im sure that alot of kids born in the late '90s and '00s will miss this decade, just like most of us born in the late '80s miss there '90s childhood, and alot of people born in the late '70s miss there '80s childhood.

Of course part of that is how much things change over the next couple of years. My guess would be that the 2010's will be alot different than the '00s, but you can't predict the future.

Check for new replies or respond here...