inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s music you like now, but didn't know about then ...

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 12:08 am

Are there any bands/singers from the 90s that you like now, but didn't know about then?

A few for me, ones I discovered through UK CD compliations ...

Manic Street Preachers - Their song Australia made me a fan!
Lighthouse Family
Ash - Listen to their song Burn Baby Burn and tell me it's not awesome!
Texas

Subject: Re: 90s music you like now, but didn't know about then ...

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 1:36 pm

A few songs that readily come to mind for me...

"A Girl Like You" by Edwyn Collins. In the US, it was a hit in late 1995, but of all the songs I remember from then, that wasn't one of them. In fact, I don't remember hearing it for the first time until 2001.
"Ready To Go" by Republica, which apparently came out in '96, but again, I listened to lots of "current" songs then and didn't know about this one. First time I remember hearing it: also 2001.
"Touch Me (All Night Long)" by Cathy Dennis, from 1990. During the 90s I knew one of her other big hits, but this one was "new" to me within the past couple years.
"Am I The Same Girl" by Swing Out Sister (1992). Great song; incorporates the instrumental classic "Soulful Strut" throughout. 8)

I'll probably think of more later.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/05/07 at 1:58 pm

"A Girl Like You" by Edwyn Collins. In the US, it was a hit in late 1995, but of all the songs I remember from then, that wasn't one of them. In fact, I don't remember hearing it for the first time until 2001.
"Ready To Go" by Republica, which apparently came out in '96, but again, I listened to lots of "current" songs then and didn't know about this one. First time I remember hearing it: also 2001.
"Touch Me (All Night Long)" by Cathy Dennis, from 1990. During the 90s I knew one of her other big hits, but this one was "new" to me within the past couple years.
"Am I The Same Girl" by Swing Out Sister (1992). Great song; incorporates the instrumental classic "Soulful Strut" throughout. 8)

I'll probably think of more later.

good songs...all of them! ;)  The first one was in the movie, Empire Records, I believe. ;)

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 2:00 pm

good songs...all of them! ;)  The first one was in the movie, Empire Records, I believe. ;)

Yes it was. So was "Till I Hear It From You" by the Gin Blossoms, which was a bigger hit in late 1995.

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 09/05/07 at 2:11 pm

Ditto!  :)

A few more that come to mind...

'Thought I'd Died And Gone To Heaven' by Bryan Adams
'The Crying Game' by Boy George
'Wonderful' by Adam Ant

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 2:31 pm

That was also Edwyn's big comeback hit in Europe.  In the 80s, he was a star in his native UK as vocalist of the group Orange Juice.  They had a UK Top 10 hit in 1983 called 'Rip it Up'

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/07 at 4:35 pm

I didn't really start to get into music until after 1995, so there was alot of music from the early part of decade I wasn't familiar with until a few years ago.

I like alot of early '90s music, back when alot of '80s artists were still popular and coming out with albums.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/05/07 at 10:33 pm

^ Same here in a way. Even though I liked music before then and was in touch with things, I didn't quite get the full experience until later. Watching MTV and VH1 starting in late 1990 helped, but there were bands I forgot about or didn't pay as much attention to until some years down the road.

I think I pretty much knew about every '90s song back then...but I'm a bigger fan of, say Green Day, Gin Blossoms, early Offspring, or Sheryl Crow than I was at the time.

Written By: woops on 09/06/07 at 2:23 pm

Deborah Gibson's '90's material, which I discovered in 1999/2000

I wasn't into popular music until 1997 and only familiar with overexposed artists/songs from the decde.

Written By: Midas on 09/08/07 at 2:05 am

VAST - "Pretty When You Cry" And "Touched"
DJ Slam - "Looking Into The Light"
DJ Icey - "Love (Once Upon A Time)"
Slow Bongo Floyd - "More Than Jesus"
V.I.M. - "Maggie's Last Party"

There's a lot of songs from the 90's that I like now where I knew about them back then but didn't know title or artist:

Xenophobia - "Rushing The House" (E COME ALIVE!)  :D
Dyewitness - "Observing The Earth" and "What Would You Like To Hear Again?"
Isotonik - "Everywhere I Go" (Fizzy Orange Mix)
Kicks Like A Mule - "The Bouncer"
Voodoo Child (aka Moby) - "Voodoo Child"
Run Tings - "Back Again"
Krome & Time - "The Slammer"
The House Crew - "We Are Hardcore"
N-Joi - "Adrenalin"
Sonz Of A Loop Da Loop Era - "Higherism"

God Bless the internet.  Without it I may not have been able to figure out what these tracks are from my past.  :)

Written By: nally on 09/12/07 at 10:43 am

That was also Edwyn's big comeback hit in Europe.  In the 80s, he was a star in his native UK as vocalist of the group Orange Juice.  They had a UK Top 10 hit in 1983 called 'Rip it Up'

Amazing...I did not know that. However, I figured he might've been more popular in his native homeland. Too bad he only had one big hit here. :-\\

Written By: Step-chan on 09/14/07 at 3:08 pm

I don't know if there are any that I didn't about per say, as I got into the 90s scene(some of it, during the late 90s) before 2000.

I'll have to take a look.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/15/07 at 6:38 pm

Nearly everything I like pre-1997 I discovered later, mostly during the period when I was really getting into the 90s music, around 2000-2001.

Written By: SpaceHog on 09/16/07 at 2:59 pm

Breakfast at tiffanys- Deep Blue Something. Like it now, but not in 1996.

Tonight Tonight- Smashing Pumpkins. Hated it then, but love it now.

For me, it was somngs like Kernkraft 400 and Feels so good, as well as The Thong Song, that turned me off to todays music.

Written By: nally on 09/17/07 at 1:08 pm

Most pre-1994 music I did not discover until later...although there are some post-1993 songs I didn't know at the time they were released, as I have mentioned above.

I just thought of another one: "Buddy Holly" by Weezer, which was apparently a hit in late 1994.

Written By: woops on 09/21/07 at 1:53 pm

Faith No More "Fall To Pieces", which I didn't know until some years ago

Written By: JoeMoe on 09/24/07 at 4:57 am

RADIOHEAD!!!!!!
Stereolab
My Bloody Valentine (accually more of an 80's band, but whatever)
Slint (Spiderland)
and Sigur Ros released their first two albums in the nineties.
I never knew about these bands because they where never played on the radio... sadly.  (with an exception of Radiohead's "creep")

Written By: nally on 10/11/07 at 4:56 pm

RADIOHEAD!!!!!!

I never knew about these bands because they where never played on the radio... sadly.  (with an exception of Radiohead's "creep")

I never knew that song until much later (I don't know when I first heard it, but it wasn't at the time it came out).

Written By: nally on 09/29/11 at 8:35 pm

Another one that comes to mind..."Close To You" by Maxi Priest

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/11 at 10:10 pm

from Eyes Wide Shut

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go4E4tNGQks

Written By: tnf on 10/09/11 at 10:24 pm

A couple of semi underground dance songs a know about a year now (or even less):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9zxle7SCLeY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50dngX7mb8c

I was a huge dance lover in the 90s, but for some reason, I didn't notice these two...

Written By: SupaMario on 10/12/11 at 4:57 am

Theres a load of underground hip hop which I didn't know about which I listen to now. Although at the time I had no interest in hip-hop at all, I was listening to eithe jazz or guitar music, so it wasn't until I was exposed to it more recently that I got a chance. KMD, Mr Lif. acts like these really.

Written By: fredrickthe94guy on 10/15/11 at 7:14 am

My lists are endless

this is what happen if you were a baby and early into childhood in the 1990s

i remember some music from the late 90s

R.E.M does some really nice songs
Radiohead
Smashing pumpkins
Shaggy
and list goes on

Check for new replies or respond here...