inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New Kids on the Block - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 10:54 pm

Year 1988 1988 1989 1989 1989 1989 1989 19901990199019911991 1992 1994 1994

Song Title Please Don't Go Girl .................... You Got It (The Right Stuff) ....... I'll Be Loving You (Forever) ......... Hangin' Tough .......................... Didn't I (Blow Your Mind) ........... Cover Girl ................................. This One's For the Children ......... Step By Step ............................ Tonight ................................... Let's Try it Again ....................... Games ..................................... Call it What You Want ............... If You Go Away ........................ Dirty Dawg ............................... Never Let You Go .....................

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2503/22pxflagoftheunitedstatsc9.png #10 #3 #1 #1 #8 #2 #7#1#7#53-- #16 #66 -

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/950/22pxflagofcanadasvgxw4.png #77 #16 #21 #7 #36 #7 #6#1#5#10#27- #6 #3 #18

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5500/22pxflagoftheunitedkinght6.png -#1#5#1#8#4#9#2#3#8#14#12 #9 #27#42

NOTES
♦ Due to a chart gap, 'Please Don't Go Girl' does not have a peak position for Canada.  As of October 15, 1988 it had risen to CAN #77
♦ 'Hangin' Tough' first reached UK #52 in 1989.  It's UK #1 placing was a re-chart in 1990
♦ 'Didn't I (Blow Your Mind)' didn't chart in the UK until 1990.  It was paired as a Double AA side with 'Let's Try it Again'
♦ 'You Got it (The Right Stuff)' re-charted in Canada at #20 in 1990
♦ All singles from 1992 and on were released under NKOTB

Subject: Re: New Kids on the Block - Poll

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 11:11 pm

My two favorites:

Please Don't Go Girl (my heart melts everytime I hear little Joey's voice on this song).

Tonight (a very cool song, an equally cool video).

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/07 at 11:13 pm

The New Kids are often mocked in today's world, but I still really liked their music.  I chose 'Tonight' followed by 'Cover Girl'.  I never get tired of those songs :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/03/07 at 11:14 pm

The New Kids are often mocked in today's world, but I still really liked their music.  I chose 'Tonight' followed by 'Cover Girl'.  I never get tired of those songs :)

I always loved them..and I always will. :)

Written By: woops on 09/03/07 at 11:20 pm

I only can tolerate "You Got It (The Right Stuff)".

New Edition are much better  8)

Written By: robby76 on 09/04/07 at 5:41 am

Damn I actually liked quite  a few of their songs despite never owning any of their albums. I did buy "Call It What You Want" on cassette single as that was great and I also loved "Step By Step" as it takes me back to a fun summer in 1991 (both got my vote).

Other good songs... Tonight, Cover Girl and I'll Be Loving You (whose verses sound a little like Billy Ocean's "There'll Be Sad Songs).

Written By: scoobydude123 on 09/04/07 at 10:21 am

New Kids are classic! in the cheesy backstreet boys kinda way

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/04/07 at 10:32 am

'New Kids on the Block!'  :o

What the hell am I doing in THIS thread!?  :o

Other than to say ....

This is probably their favourite song by another band!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/5/5d/Eaglesnewkidintownsinglecover.jpg/200px-Eaglesnewkidintownsinglecover.jpg

(No .. I won't say a REAL band ... I won't say it!  ;) ).
:D ;D :D

Written By: Green Lantern on 09/04/07 at 10:41 am

"Remember us? We used to be 'New kids on the block!' "

http://www.algarveimages.com/algarveimages/algarveimages/images/slides/TP035-Five-Old-Men.jpg
"Now we're 'old bastards on the turps'!"
('turps'? ... 'moonshine' 'xxx'  ;D ).

:D ;D :D

Catch them now .... coming to a venue near YOU!

'Old bastards on the turps!'
:D

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/04/07 at 11:39 am

Even though I was never a massive fan back in the day (I was more into stuff like "The End of the Innocence" or "Everlasting Love" in 1989), I always thought their songs were catchy enough and they were talented. Plus, I thought they were cool enough for gaining the attention of all the girls who liked them, lol.

I always enjoyed "I'll Be Loving You Forever" as a love song, though. Ballads are usually a little more timeless and impervious to trend. Like, I remember kids at school, even by early 1991 were ripping on "Step By Step", but that one survived a few more years on the radio. Oddly, it's one of those that I never hear getting played now. This might actually spare it from criticism, which is a good thing. ;)

Subject: helpppp

Written By: smorez14 on 09/04/07 at 12:00 pm

This may sound really weird and completely off topic but a few years ago, I would always listen to this song. I don't know the name or how it goes. All I remember about it was the video had a TV sitting outside of a store and the TV was showing a close up of a man singing this song. I don't remember but I think he may have been older. But who knows. I was so young that 25 looked old. Anyway! I was listening to Satelite radio today and a song came on that I was almost POSITIVE was the one I've been desperate to find. It was called "your woman" by white town. As soon as I got home I went to see if the video went to this song but it turned out that "your woman" doesn't have a video. It must have just been a song that I remember from years ago but not the one I actually wanted to find. Can soeone PLEASE help me?!? remember... man on tv singing outside store, maybe middle aged who knows, and it might be a song that sounds like "your woman". THANKS!! :-\\

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/07 at 11:39 am

I actually like quite a few of these songs, but my favorite's are "Step By Step" and "Tonight".

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 12:57 pm

Where do I begin?

In 1990, I had an obsession with "The Right Stuff" because of the Oh-Oh-Ohhhhh part. ;D I would sing it in school all the time. In 1999 I found out about Weird Al's parody ("The White Stuff", which had to do with Oreo cookies and their cream filling).

These days, I think I like "Hangin' Tough" the best. I can vote for two options, so I think I'll go with "The Right Stuff" and "Hangin' Tough".

Subject: Re: helpppp

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 1:43 pm

This may sound really weird and completely off topic but a few years ago, I would always listen to this song. I don't know the name or how it goes. All I remember about it was the video had a TV sitting outside of a store and the TV was showing a close up of a man singing this song. I don't remember but I think he may have been older. But who knows. I was so young that 25 looked old. Anyway! I was listening to Satelite radio today and a song came on that I was almost POSITIVE was the one I've been desperate to find. It was called "your woman" by white town. As soon as I got home I went to see if the video went to this song but it turned out that "your woman" doesn't have a video. It must have just been a song that I remember from years ago but not the one I actually wanted to find. Can soeone PLEASE help me?!? remember... man on tv singing outside store, maybe middle aged who knows, and it might be a song that sounds like "your woman". THANKS!! :-\\

Yeah well, like.. TOTALLY off topic and all, right...But "Your Woman" does come with a video. And to prove it, here it is.

Tell me it is as you remember...

Written By: JohnTaylorsHeart on 09/06/07 at 6:28 am

Please Don't Go Girl 
You Got It (The Right Stuff)
I'll Be Loving You (Forever)
Cover Girl
Step By Step
Let's Try it Again
Call it What You Want
If You Go Away

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/06/07 at 6:33 am

I know the songs well for the New Kids on the Block are of my son's generartion and really I do not have a particular favourite.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/06/07 at 8:01 pm

I really liked "Please Don't Go Girl" and "You Got It (The Right Stuff).

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/08/07 at 1:26 pm

"Didn't I" and "You Got It."   

Written By: SweetPrincess1 on 09/17/07 at 11:11 pm

Ugh! I loves all those songs. I dont know if I could pick one that  like most but I do remmeber listening to Tonight and please dont go girl the most back in the day.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/18/07 at 3:47 am

1988 - You Got It (The Right Stuff)
1989 - I'll Be Loving You (Forever)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/07 at 7:53 pm

Tonight
Step by Step
The Right Stuff

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/07 at 7:56 pm

this poll inspired me to listen to some NKOTB...which I am doing right now!! :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/24/07 at 8:02 pm

this poll inspired me to listen to some NKOTB...which I am doing right now!! :)

I can't believe I'm asking this, but do you have any you could upload by chance, lol?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/07 at 8:16 pm

I can't believe I'm asking this, but do you have any you could upload by chance, lol?

let me check..I might have some. Right now I was listening to the ones on their myspace page...they have like 4 songs on there. Let me check my files though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/24/07 at 8:20 pm

I actually do have about 10 of their songs in my playlist...now, how would I go about doing that for you? :D

Written By: rsbryswrrl on 03/11/08 at 12:23 pm

Ahhh this thread brings back happy memories.  I was so obsessed w/NKOTB.  Me and a few of my friends made a fan club, and one of my projects for my exploratory art class in middle school was making a cheesy-looking mug to collect our 25 cent fan club dues LOL.  Joey was my fave, and I could have killed one of my friends when she won an NKOTB cruise and took another girl instead of me!  I begged my mom for the bedsheets, and made my dad drive me down to the Coliseum way early before their concert because the local pop radio station "reported" that they were down there riding around in limos and on scooters.  My poor father got stuck driving me and a girlfriend up to RFK Stadium to go see them in concert - my first "real" concert experience.  But the ultimate was telling my mom and dad that NKOTB was comparable to the Beatles and the Stones.  I'm surprised a lightning bolt did not come out of the sky and strike me down as I spoke on that one!

Check for new replies or respond here...