inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: beavis and butthead

Written By: Commander Salamander on 09/04/07 at 9:43 pm

perhaps the cartoon that most affected a generation? such as why everyoen under 20 today, including me, is a retard?

Subject: Re: beavis and butthead

Written By: whistledog on 09/04/07 at 9:45 pm

I never understood what appealed to so many people about Beavis and Butthead.  I only ever watched it once, and that was enough for me

Written By: Red Ant on 09/04/07 at 10:14 pm

perhaps the cartoon that most affected a generation? such as why everyoen under 20 today, including me, is a retard?

B&B is actually pretty good satire, and if you're indeed under 20, you aren't old enough to remember them in their heydays. 

MTV might still reair the shows, but they have been neutered to the point of being worthless. Then again, I've come to expect nothing less from Viacom.

Ant

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/04/07 at 10:42 pm

It was poking fun more at the people who are currently in their 30's.

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/05/07 at 12:24 am

I liked it when B&B made fun of some of the music videos, but that's just about it.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/05/07 at 6:29 am

i used to think it was really funny back then.....

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/05/07 at 7:19 am

Without getting too much into this whole "well, it was really targeted towards people in this age, but only people born between this and that year could like it" argument...you have to remember a few things. Potential fans could've seen the reruns later, or might've bought the DVDs, or gotten into it from an older cousin, etc. People outside of an age group on either side can become a fan of something, even if it's sometimes in a casual, less hardcore way. For what it's worth, I'd guess it's biggest fanbase are about 15 to mid 30s now.

Anyway, I enjoy it in a really stupid entertainment way. The funniest thing was their flawed attempt at logic in figuring things out. ;)

I always got the impression it was satirical in how it looked at them and by no means was trying to glorify anything they did. We were supposed to be laughing at them, as opposed to with them. Think about it, the show by default would have to be intelligent in order for it to accurately portray them as being dumb. Mike Judge himself has said that it was an overexaggerated, silly picture of how some small town teenage losers can be when they're bored and there's nothing to do.

When it first started, it was probably slightly more realistic for them being believable 14 or 15 year old boys of 1993. They were more destructive and smart alecky, but there was a controversy when a kid set his trailer on fire after seeing an episode where Beavis did this. That was when the tone was changed, and they were just sillier and dumb in a less bad*ss way.

Written By: woops on 09/06/07 at 2:24 pm

B&B is actually pretty good satire, and if you're indeed under 20, you aren't old enough to remember them in their heydays. 

MTV might still reair the shows, but they have been neutered to the point of being worthless. Then again, I've come to expect nothing less from Viacom.

Ant

MTV2 air them once in a while, though mostly about a dozen episodes from the later seasons.

Check for new replies or respond here...