inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone remember these songs ?

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 2:29 pm

Here's a random bunch of hits from the 90s.  Anyone remember these? (Click an available song link to see the video)
(I don't have access to complete Billboard info for the 90s, so I don't know chart info for many of these for the USA)

YEAR 1995 1996 1998 1999 1997 1996 1998 19911995199419971995 1999 1997 1990

SONG Mishale Lemon Tree Have Fun, Go Mad Dancing Baby (Ooga Chaka) Get Up (Everybody) Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love) Everything's Gonna Be Alright Hold You Tight I Believe Short Dick Man My Love is For Real Memories Paradoxx Da' Dip Doin' the Doo

ARTIST Andru Donalds Fool's Garden Blair Trubble Byron Stingly Lina Santiago Sweetbox Tara Kemp Happy Clappers 20 Fingers featuring Gillette Strike Netzwerk 666 Freak Nasty Betty Boo

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/2503/22pxflagoftheunitedstatsc9.png #38 ? #86 - ? #35 #46#3?#14-? ? #15 #90

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/950/22pxflagofcanadasvgxw4.png #1 #11 #38 #15 #35 #33 #19#17#25#6#28#21 #9 #14 #6

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5500/22pxflagoftheunitedkinght6.png -#26#37#21#14-#5#89#21#21#35- - -#7

* 'Short Dick Man' was released as 'Short Short Man' in the USA

Subject: Re: Anyone remember these songs ?

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 2:31 pm

The only one I remember from your list is "Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love)" by Lina Santiago. (That was the official title in the US.) I know it hit the US charts, but I'm drawing a blank on the position number.

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 2:50 pm

Only those that were hits over here.

"Lemon Tree" just made in to Top 10, "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" reached #11 and "Doin' the Do" hit #7.

Of course, "Short Dick Man" hit our charts too... :-[...also reaching #7. BTW: I think US had to put up with the "clean" version ("Short Short Man"). ???

Both Strike and 666 had Top 40 hits, but not the two mentioned here. Strike hit #13 with "U Sure Do" and 666's "Alarma" peaked at #34.

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 3:06 pm

Of course, "Short Dick Man" hit our charts too... :-
Both Strike and 666 had Top 40 hits, but not the two mentioned here. Strike hit #13 with "U Sure Do" and 666's "Alarma" peaked at #34.

No 'D.E.V.I.L.' by 666?  I know that one was their lone UK Top 40

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 3:22 pm

No 'D.E.V.I.L.' by 666?  I know that one was their lone UK Top 40

No sir, just the one I mentioned.

While watching the video, I realized that Byron Stingily of course also had a Dutch Top 40 hit. "That's the Way Love Is" (by Ten City) peaked at #26 in 1989.

Written By: Paul on 09/05/07 at 3:24 pm

Here's my age showing...

I only really recall one...Betty Boo's 'Doin' The Doo'...

Her singing career faltered not long after, but she has written several songs for other acts...

Written By: Henk on 09/05/07 at 3:55 pm

Here's a random bunch of hits from the 90s.  Anyone remember these? (Click an available song link to see the video)
(I don't have access to complete Billboard info for the 90s, so I don't know chart info for many of these for the USA)

According to AMG, "Have Fun, Go Mad" peaked at #86, "Everything's Gonna Be Alright" peaked at #46, "Short Short Man" peaked at #14 and "Doin' the Do" peaked at #90 (all on Billboard Hot 100).
I couldn't find any chart data on the other songs, which means they either didn't chart, or data aren't available on AMG (yet).

Written By: nally on 09/05/07 at 5:21 pm

Of course, "Short Dick Man" hit our charts too... :-[...also reaching #7. BTW: I think US had to put up with the "clean" version ("Short Short Man"). ???

Oh I forgot about that one too! Yes, the U.S. did have a clean version called "Short, Short Man." 20 Fingers ft. Gillette also had another single, "Mr Personality", in early 1995.

Written By: audkal on 09/05/07 at 10:34 pm

The only one I remember from your list is "Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love)" by Lina Santiago. (That was the official title in the US.) I know it hit the US charts, but I'm drawing a blank on the position number.

That's also the only one I remember.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/05/07 at 10:37 pm

Those must be pretty rare. ;) The only one I've heard of (which I like) is "Hold You Tight" by Tara Kemp. That's very 1991 and I guess I'd describe it as dance music with a little hip hop influence.

Written By: whistledog on 09/05/07 at 10:47 pm

I just found a chart peak for it .. US #35 in 1996

Written By: Banks on 09/07/07 at 1:24 am

I remember Doin The Doo and Short Dick Man...

I also remember the song I Want To Be A Hippie. Cant remember who it was by now though.

AN

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/07/07 at 1:33 am

Ohh, I love that Lemon Tree song.  8)

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 09/07/07 at 1:39 am

not a single one. I was hibernating in the 90's

Written By: nally on 09/07/07 at 10:20 am

I just found a chart peak for it .. US #35 in 1996

That's what I thought. Yeah, I remember hearing it on the radio in February 1996; that song was quite repetitive, as I recall.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/07/07 at 12:27 pm

I'm really only familiar with "Da Dip".

Written By: Henk on 09/07/07 at 1:40 pm

I also remember the song I Want To Be A Hippie. Cant remember who it was by now though.

AN

Technohead. :) The song hit #1 in Dutch Top 40. Here's a link to the video. I think this video was only used in The Netherlands, though.
Technohead were Lee Newman and Michael Wells. Lee Newman died on August 4, 1995.

Written By: whistledog on 09/07/07 at 1:43 pm

I love that Technohead song.  First time I'd ever heard it was years ago on the UK set 'Now That's What I Call Music! 33'

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/07/07 at 8:28 pm

Those must be pretty rare. ;) The only one I've heard of (which I like) is "Hold You Tight" by Tara Kemp. That's very 1991 and I guess I'd describe it as dance music with a little hip hop influence.

I loved this song! It seems like forever since I last heard it. Tara Kemp had a couple of hits, then seemed to disappear completely. I used to walk to school when I was in junior high and usually listened to the radio or a cassette on my Walkman, and "Hold You Tight" was played quite frequently.

Written By: Midas on 09/08/07 at 1:48 am

I remember most of those.  What's interesting is that I have a double-12" single of "My Love Is For Real" by Paula Abdul from 1995 which includes a remix by Strike.

"I Believe" was re-released with remixes by Chris Cox (Thunderpuss/Hot Tracks) in 2003.  I have that record also.

I don't remember the first two in the list nor the "Paradox" track but will now have to seek out an extended version of it; it's catchy.

Written By: SpaceHog on 09/16/07 at 3:06 pm

I remember all of those songs on your list. Mishale was the worst.

How about this one?

My Boo- Ghost Town DJ's?

Written By: nally on 09/18/07 at 2:06 pm

I remember all of those songs on your list. Mishale was the worst.

How about this one?

My Boo- Ghost Town DJ's?

I know that one...from mid-1996. That's a different song than Usher's duet with Alicia Keys, which I think is from 2004.

Written By: snozberries on 09/30/07 at 12:35 pm

I remember the Dancing Baby (Ooga Chaka) (wasn't that the Ally McBeal thing and I remember Da Dip in fact I'm doing Da Dip right now  ;D

Written By: IWannaBeAGoonie on 10/28/07 at 3:02 am

Well, I remember Short Dick Man and how popular the Dancing Baby (Ooga Chaka) was, but I never actually watched Ally McBeal. (was it actually Hooked on a Feeling ? I know that's what it was on the David Hasslehoff video, anyway.. ;D)
But the only one I really remember liking was Hold You Tight..I think I have the cassette single, actually..  :-\\

The other songs I may remember if I went and watched the videos listed..but in the early 90's I was newly married and had a little baby ('92 and '93), so I don't think I kept up too much with the 'modern music'..actually, come to think of it, I still don't.. ::)

Written By: Fairee07 on 10/31/07 at 2:34 am

SONG
Mishale ---I remember this one but I remember hearing it in '92.

Short Dick Man---Definitely remember this one. Actually have it on one of my cds

Da' Dip---Wow this one takes me back to my clubbing days!

Doin' the Doo---I think I heard this song on the 90210 episode where Brenda gets ready for her first date with Dylan. Like that type of bubble gum.

Written By: McDonald on 11/06/07 at 5:48 pm

I remember Da Dip, I loved that song. I also remember Short Dick Man, which they would only play at night on certain stations.

Written By: nally on 11/06/07 at 5:50 pm

I also remember Short Dick Man, which they would only play at night on certain stations.

They probably waited until nighttime to play it because of the language it contained. :o

Written By: Lazy Midas at work on 11/07/07 at 12:06 pm

They probably waited until nighttime to play it because of the language it contained. :o

There was a radio-friendly version created, titled "Short Short Man".

Written By: nally on 11/07/07 at 1:06 pm

There was a radio-friendly version created, titled "Short Short Man".

Yes, I remember that one...from late 1994 or thereabouts. I never heard the "dirty" version, though.

Written By: karen on 11/11/07 at 10:06 pm

I only remember
Doin' the Doo
Everything's Gonna Be Alright

and the Dancin' Baby

I know a song called Have Fun, Go Mad but I'm fairly certain it's not the one listed here

Check for new replies or respond here...