inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Mariah Carey

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/08/07 at 12:27 pm

Is anyone else a fan?  :)

I didn't become a fan until 2006 after The Emancipation of Mimi came out. I really bought it curiousity. Even though I am also a big Madonna fan (Madonna fans are "soppoused" to hate Mariah), I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. Now I've got all her albums.

My favorites are her self-titled debut, Butterfly and TEOM.

Subject: Re: Mariah Carey

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 12:32 pm

Yes I'm a fan, not all her stuff is great of course but she's capable of some great stuff, and created some of the best '90s music. It was awesome to see her comeback in 2005.

Written By: woops on 09/08/07 at 2:30 pm

I'm much indifferent towards her, though I like her version of "Without You", which is far better than the bland original, and "Honey"

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/08/07 at 7:13 pm

Her best stuff was from 1990/'91 to 1995/'96. I was never a massive fan, but I always liked some of her pop songs since back in the day, like "Love Takes Time", "Dreamlover" and "Fantasy". I've never made a Madonna connection one way or the other, but her earlier period does kinda have that semi-innocent sound that Madonna's first two albums had. It was almost like an advanced form of '80s music.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 7:20 pm

I am still surprised her 'Charmbracelet' album in 2003 didn't catch on in the USA.  It was popular almost everywhere but her home country :-\\

I'm not a BIG fan, I did like 'Honey' for it's clever and well done sample of the 1984 classic 'Hey DJ' by World Famous Supreme Team
(though at the time, I thought her version was based off the re-popularized 1994 'Hey DJ' cover by Lighter Shade of Brown')

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/08/07 at 7:23 pm

i didn't know Charmbracelet was popular anywhere  :o....

about the Madonna thing.....there's this feud between Madonna and Mariah fans because both artists have "dissed" each other in the past. Madonna started it. she said she'd "rather die than be Mariah Carey" around '94/'95. there's alot of friction between them.....

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 7:29 pm

i didn't know Charmbracelet was popular anywhere  :o....

'Charmbracelet' produced 2 Top 40 singles in the UK, Canada, and Australia (among other regions) with 'Through the Rain' and 'Boy (I Need You)'

Written By: Brian06 on 09/08/07 at 7:34 pm

'Charmbracelet' produced 2 Top 40 singles in the UK, Canada, and Australia (among other regions) with 'Through the Rain' and 'Boy (I Need You)'

I've heard Through The Rain, I think it's a shame it didn't catch on here.

Written By: whistledog on 09/08/07 at 7:39 pm

I've heard Through The Rain, I think it's a shame it didn't catch on here.

Perhaps alot of Americans were afraid it was going to be another 'Glitter' so they didn't bother with it.  Of course, it's success world-wide showed that 'Glitter' didn't damage her career like people thought, so they gave 'Emancipation of Mimi' a listen

When 'Charmbracelet' flopped in the States, I had no idea at the time, and when 'Mimi' came out, everyone was saying it was her welcome comeback, and I was like "Comeback?  What comeback.  She never went anywhere?" LOL

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/08/07 at 7:47 pm

I liked Mariah's music from her debut until "Daydream". "Make It Happen" is still my favorite Mariah song; for me it's one of those songs that puts me in a good mood every time I listen to it.  :)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/11/07 at 4:03 pm

mariah is so hot

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/11/07 at 8:36 pm

I forgot how much I liked "Someday", it's such a fun, bouncy song. Also it sounds extremely '80s too, even for 1990 (which isn't a bad thing).

Written By: Paul on 09/12/07 at 7:00 am

...though I like her version of "Without You", which is far better than the bland original...

Which, for the 'Queen Of Bland' is saying something!

File alongside Celine, Whitney & Michael Bolton...certainly can sing, but the material is tedious...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/12/07 at 7:06 am

i think she actually sticks out among Whitney, Vanessa Williams, or Celine, who are the queens of bland, IMO (i like Whitney though.....). her music seems "fresher" somehow compared to theirs. more exciting....in comparision at least.

Check for new replies or respond here...