inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Hampster Dance

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/07 at 7:10 pm

One of the craziest (and catchiest) internet fads of the late 90s came from Canada ...

The Hampster Dance was created by a Canadian art student in 1998 as an hommage to her pet Hampster named Hampton.  Using 4 animated gifs of dancing hampsters, she set up a simple Geocities webpage and with repeated rows of the Hampsters, she used a sped-up sample of 'Whistle Stop' by Roger Miller (taken from the opening credits to the 1973 Disney Animated adaptation of 'Robin Hood') as background music, then looped it so it would appear the hampsters were dancing repeatedly to the music

By 1999, the site was getting 15,000 hits daily and inspired several songs, the big one being 'Cognoscenti vs Intelligentsia' by the Cuban Boys which reached #4 in the UK in 1999.  The following year, the original Hampster Dance song as performed by Hampton the Hampster was released as a single, and reached #1 in Canada

Hampton the Hampster took off exceptionally well in Australia.  In 2001, 'The Hampster Dance' reached AUS #5 and as well as 'Hampster Party' (AUS #44) and a cover of John Denver's 'Thank God I'm A Country Boy' (AUS #12)

YouTube Clips:

The Cuban Boys
Cognoscenti vs Intelligentsia

Hampton the Hampster
The Hampster Dance
Hampster Party (not actual video)
Thank God I'm A Country Boy (not actual video)

http://www.anothernewsite.com/images/hampton.gif

Subject: Re: The Hampster Dance

Written By: Step-chan on 09/09/07 at 7:39 pm

I've seen videos use it, anime videos(like ones with Naruto fan art and the like).

Pretty funny. :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 09/09/07 at 7:42 pm

I totally despise the Hampster Dance....everytime I hear it I want to hurt someone!! >:(

Written By: Bobo on 09/09/07 at 8:08 pm

To my shame thanks to my friend Dominic, I actually have The Hamster Dance on iTunes.

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/10/07 at 1:56 pm

This was one of those fads that was cute for about the first five minutes, then it became increasingly cringe-worthy!!!  :D

Written By: KKay on 09/10/07 at 4:29 pm

I totally despise the Hampster Dance....everytime I hear it I want to hurt someone!! >:(

never heard of it till now. ugh. sillyness.
i can see how kids might love it.

Written By: Henk on 09/10/07 at 4:49 pm

Although I recall having heard the Hampster Dance once or twice, it has never become a craze over here.

...I don't feel like we've been missing out on this.

Written By: Step-chan on 09/10/07 at 5:14 pm

never heard of it till now. ugh. sillyness.
i can see how kids might love it.

Or immature 30s guys like me. :D

Written By: whistledog on 09/11/07 at 10:08 am

I only liked 'The Hampster Dance' for it's Canadian Content.  All in all, the music of it is good.  If only it was an instrumental

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/11/07 at 12:08 pm

Even though I didn't have the internet at the time, I remember hearing about the fad. Looking back, it seems kinda stupid, but the video's are hilarious.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/13/07 at 1:39 pm

Now where is that shotgun!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...