inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: is 1998 the best year in music?

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/16/07 at 6:04 pm

ok here is a question for all of you..is 1998 the best year in music? to me yes the best year in music of all time thoughts?

Subject: Re: is 1998 the best year in music?

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/07 at 6:08 pm

My personal favorite would be the 1991-1994 time (if we're talking Nineties years), but 1998 was pretty good. In some respects, I see it as the last truly old-school year, maybe because it was pre-Britney and also just before trends like nu metal started taking off. It was almost a regression in terms of suburban feeling pop songs on the radio that didn't have a hip hop influence. If I were describing it to someone who wasn't around, I'd just say it felt very laid back. Seriously, I couldn't see songs like "Torn", "Meet Virginia", "Save Tonight", "Iris", "Crush" or "I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" coming out today.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/16/07 at 6:10 pm

It's all down to personal preference. As for me... 1998 wasn't a stand out year for music I like.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 6:39 pm

1998 was not even close

Written By: woops on 09/16/07 at 7:43 pm

"Crush" from Jennifer Paige  sounds like it could be sung by Natasha Bedingfield today.

My  favorite songs:

"You Get What You Give" New Radicals
"Intergalatic" Beastie Boys

not much

Also not much different than now except the decline of numetal & boybands.

Trash pop and gangsta rap are still popular  :P

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 09/16/07 at 7:49 pm

the late 90's were the least interesting period of music for me. 1990-95 was great, though....

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/16/07 at 7:50 pm

The only song I like from 1998 was "Torn". I liked 1996-1997 better.

Written By: Red Ant on 09/16/07 at 8:26 pm

The only song I like from 1998 was "Torn". I liked 1996-1997 better.

Natalie Imbruglia or Creed?

1998... hmm, off of the top of my head I can't name a single song that came out in 1998. Definitely not the best year in music.

Ant

Written By: JohnDoe on 09/16/07 at 8:52 pm

Can't ever ask a question on this board without the annoying 60's and 70's  lovers infesting the thread with their arrogant opinions on the 90's.  ::)

I'm a person who loves music from the 60's all the way through the 90's, and I will vouch that 1998 was a great year for music.  There was alot of good Adult Contemporary Hits as well as R&B. We weren't clobbered over the head with Pop Music yet like we would be in 1999 and 2000.

I wouldn't say that 1998 is the best year ever for music, but it's not insane for someone to think it is.  It's one of my personal favorites, although I personally think 1996 was the best year for music in the 90's, and arguably is the greatest year in my opinion for popular music.

And who on earth is this guy who claims he can't name a single song from 1998?  Excuse me, but why are you even here? Why not stay on the 70's board?

You know, I always cringe when I see threads like this on music boards (Threads asking about how great 90's music is) because I just know the overwhelming response will come from people born before 1977 saying how 90's music is terrible and nothing compares to 60's, 70's and 80's music.  I don't think anything gets under my skin more than these pessimistic idiots here just to rain on our (90's Kids) parade.

1998... hmm, off of the top of my head I can't name a single song that came out in 1998. Definitely not the best year in music.

I'm going to rip my hair out from reading this tripe. Just because YOU can't remember any song from 1998, doesn't mean that it's "definitely not the best year in music".  Why don't you try listening to some songs from the year before judging it's quality. Or perhaps we should all just wait 20 years before it becomes cool to like 90's music (Like how it is for the 60's and 70's today)

Oh, and if the original poster is reading this, don't let these guys sway your opinion.  I can assure you that you're right in liking music from 1998 and just stick to your guns and keep enjoying it.  :)

Written By: Red Ant on 09/16/07 at 9:10 pm

Can't ever ask a question on this board without the annoying 60's and 70's  lovers infesting the thread with their arrogant opinions on the 90's.  ::)

I'm a person who loves music from the 60's all the way through the 90's, and I will vouch that 1998 was a great year for music.  There was alot of good Adult Contemporary Hits as well as R&B. We weren't clobbered over the head with Pop Music yet like we would be in 1999 and 2000.

I wouldn't say that 1998 is the best year ever for music, but it's not insane for someone to think it is.  It's one of my personal favorites, although I personally think 1996 was the best year for music in the 90's, and arguably is the greatest year in my opinion for popular music.

And who on earth is this guy who claims he can't name a single song from 1998?  Excuse me, but why are you even here? Why not stay on the 70's board?

You know, I always cringe when I see threads like this on music boards (Threads asking about how great 90's music is) because I just know the overwhelming response will come from people born before 1977 saying how 90's music is terrible and nothing compares to 60's, 70's and 80's music.  I don't think anything gets under my skin more than these pessimistic idiots here just to rain on our (90's Kids) parade.

Wow, what a weak, ill informed and totally pathetic slam attempt.... by an anonymouse guest.  ::)

Your perception that I should "stay on the 70s board" is totally ignorant of the fact that I LOVE 90s music... early 90s music. Just because I can't name a single song that came out in 1998 doesn't mean squat.

Further dissecting your unwarranted and unfocused rant toward me, I was born before 1977 and I think the 90s were the best era for music.

"Excuse me, but why are you even here? Why not stay on the 70's board?"

Excuse me, I didn't realize having an opinion was a crime here. Why would I want to stay on the 70s board?

I'm going to rip my hair out from reading this tripe. Just because YOU can't remember any song from 1998, doesn't mean that it's "definitely not the best year in music".  Why don't you try listening to some songs from the year before judging it's quality. Or perhaps we should all just wait 20 years before it becomes cool to like 90's music (Like how it is for the 60's and 70's today)

I forget, I do remember one song from 1998: Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On". That's the best song eva!

Good luck ripping out your hair. Make sure you use antiseptic afterward: I wouldn't want you to have anything else go wrong with your head.

Ant

Written By: Step-chan on 09/16/07 at 9:24 pm

I don't remember much from 1998, I'm more into 1991-1994.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/16/07 at 9:27 pm

Wow, what a weak, ill informed and totally pathetic slam attempt.... by an anonymouse guest.  ::)

Ant

Anonymous guest? You mean this could be a member not game enough to post what he/she wrote up there on their account?

::)

But seriously... 1998 had a ton of awesome tracks. But there were years that had way better stuff. In my personal opinion of course. As stated above. 1998 was a better year musically than say... 2003 for example. Or pretty much the last few years proceeding it... 1999-2003 was the worst period of music IMO.

Written By: tv on 09/16/07 at 9:28 pm

"Crush" from Jennifer Paige  sounds like it could be sung by Natasha Bedingfield today.

My  favorite songs:

not much

I'm almost ready to laugh that you think 1998 is not much different today. I mean could you picture an R&B singer like Brian McKinght being popular in 2007 as he was in 1998? I can;t. A song like "The Boy Is Mine" by Brandy and Monica which was a super hit in 1998 would not be popular today. As for Gangsta rap todays rap is not "Gangsta" when compared to the early to mid 90's.

I can't see Natasha Bedingfield doing Jennifer Paige's "Crush".

At least in 1998 you weren;t clobbered over the head with Boy Bands like we were in in 1999-2000(like a poster already said on this thread) or those gimmicky one hit wonder rap artists that are out now that top the charts.

Oh BTW, the music scene in 2003 was alot of different than the music scene that existed in 1999.

Written By: tv on 09/16/07 at 9:32 pm

Anonymous guest? You mean this could be a member not game enough to post what he/she wrote up there on their account?

::)

But seriously... 1998 had a ton of awesome tracks. But there were years that had way better stuff. In my personal opinion of course. As stated above. 1998 was a better year musically than say... 2003 for example. Or pretty much the last few years proceeding it... 1999-2003 was the worst period of music IMO.
Woo! I agree that 1999-2000 were bad years for music but 2001-2002 wwas ok. 2003 had alot of good and bad music. 2004 and 2005 were ok. 2006 was boring and 2007 is a mixed bag of good and bad music mostly because the bad music is from those one-hit wonder rappers that are out now.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/16/07 at 10:56 pm

My  favorite songs:

not much

The scene in 1998 was way different than in 2007. 1998 is a decade ago you know. R&B slow jams were huge in 98 and songs like "One Week", "Torn", "Iris", "Sex and Candy", typical '90s. There was some crap like Master P, but he faded. Now it's all generic gimmicky pop rappers. It was A LOT different in 98.

Written By: whistledog on 09/16/07 at 11:20 pm

There were some good songs in 1998, the problem is that you have to weed through the crap to find the good ones.  And that just takes too long

1998 had one of my favourite hits: 'Broken Bones' by Love Inc

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/16/07 at 11:21 pm

One more thing to take into consideration, is that it was much, much more common all through the '90s, even early '00s, for older artists to have big comeback hits that were as popular as their older songs. Something like "Believe" by Cher (I think this was around the turn from 1998 into 1999) probably wouldn't chart as high today. Either by the sound, or the fact that she was about 53 at the time. Santana and Aerosmith, even Rod Stewart were still charting in this timeframe too.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/17/07 at 2:42 pm

1998 had a breakout year for laryn hill her song that thing won several awards at the grammys and a breakout and proformance of 1998 is ricky matrin singing the cup of life in spanish also 1998 had a good year for wrestling (different thread for a another time) but music and tv show were good in 1998 and the soundtracks city of angles was good iris by the goo goo dolls,calling all angels by trian,boy bands becomign the morm and also one year away from brit-christina debuts

Written By: SpaceHog on 09/17/07 at 4:15 pm

To me, 1997, is the last good year for music ever...

A few good songs came out in 1998:

Swing my way- KP and Envyi
Deja Vu-  Lord Tariq and Peter Gunz
Hey Leonardo- Blessid Union of souls.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/17/07 at 4:38 pm

In terms of music, I think 1998 was a great year. Personally, I don't think it's that much like today, or even 2003 for that matter, even though there are some similarities.

If nothing else the late '90s are much better than the 2004-2006 time period, which IMO is the worst period for music so far.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 09/17/07 at 5:39 pm

In terms of music, I think 1998 was a great year. Personally, I don't think it's that much like today, or even 2003 for that matter, even though there are some similarities.

If nothing else the late '90s are much better than the 2004-2006 time period, which IMO is the worst period for music so far.
see that's i been talking about 1998 is the best year in music of all time and 98 is the best year in the 90's

Written By: coqueta83 on 09/17/07 at 6:58 pm

Natalie Imbruglia or Creed?

Ant

Oops, sorry......Natalie Imbruglia's "Torn".  :)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/19/07 at 11:14 am

see that's i been talking about 1998 is the best year in music of all time and 98 is the best year in the 90's

Just to add, I think alot of times nostalgia can alter someones perception of a certian decade/year etc. Personally, I think 1998 was a great year for me personally, and overall musically. But I was just 11 that year, starting middle school, and just beginning to get into music, so that was a much more worry free/fun time for me compared to now. Because of that I will always have great memories and nostalgia tied to that time.

I try to be open minded about all musical periods, and I do like alot of music from the '60s/'70s/'80s and even '50s, but I will probably always be partial to the mid '90s-early '00s period of music since that's when I grew up. There's no reason someone 10 or 15 years older than me can't feel the same way about the '70s and '80s.

Written By: JohnDoe on 09/19/07 at 11:48 am

Just to add, I think alot of times nostalgia can alter someones perception of a certian decade/year etc. Personally, I think 1998 was a great year for me personally, and overall musically. But I was just 11 that year, starting middle school, and just beginning to get into music, so that was a much more worry free/fun time for me compared to now. Because of that I will always have great memories and nostalgia tied to that time.

I try to be open minded about all musical periods, and I do like alot of music from the '60s/'70s/'80s and even '50s, but I will probably always be partial to the mid '90s-early '00s period of music since that's when I grew up. There's no reason someone 10 or 15 years older than me can't feel the same way about the '70s and '80s.

There's a Double Standard there though, because the same can be said for people who were young during the 60's and 70's.  The only reason they say that music is great is because it's the music from their childhood and they have great memories tied to those songs.  But also, the reason songs from the 60's and 70's are claimed to be the best songs ever is because they are OLD.  30 to 40 years old and the songs have been played to death over the years, whether on the radio or in commercials or movies. so we are all familiar with those songs.

Also, since the world is mostly dominated by adults who grew up in those days, it's easy for them to influence the opinion that older music is better.  Just like in 20 to 30 years time, those of us who were kids in the 80's, 90's and 00's will be talking about how the music of that time was great and classic, and the kids 20 to 30 years from now will look at it the same way because it was music that came way before their time.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/19/07 at 1:18 pm

There's a Double Standard there though, because the same can be said for people who were young during the 60's and 70's.  The only reason they say that music is great is because it's the music from their childhood and they have great memories tied to those songs.  But also, the reason songs from the 60's and 70's are claimed to be the best songs ever is because they are OLD.  30 to 40 years old and the songs have been played to death over the years, whether on the radio or in commercials or movies. so we are all familiar with those songs.

Also, since the world is mostly dominated by adults who grew up in those days, it's easy for them to influence the opinion that older music is better.  Just like in 20 to 30 years time, those of us who were kids in the 80's, 90's and 00's will be talking about how the music of that time was great and classic, and the kids 20 to 30 years from now will look at it the same way because it was music that came way before their time.

I don't totally disagree with that. There is often a perception that something that is older is better. That's not anything new either. Even back in the '60s you would hear older people talk about how much they hated this "new" rock music, and how the "big band" era of the '30s and '40s was much better. My grandparents even think popular music hasn't been any good since 1960. It really just depends on who you ask.

Personally, I think the '90s and for the most part the '00s have been a good peroid for music(like I've said my personal favorite time).

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/21/07 at 8:27 am

^Good points.

Another thing to take into consideration is how strong of a hold the Baby Boomers have had for a long time on influencing the media. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sizable classic rock fan, but the critical respect which 1964-1980/'81 music gets in comparison to other times can border on ridiculous sometimes. This is probably why every classic rock station plays certain songs to death, and why there's sort of a universal opinion on how "good" that time is.

Yeah, whether or not people admit it, I think everyone's opinion is at least partially influenced by their own life and experiences. There's probably a subconcious feeling of, Hey, I went through this myself, so it must've been kinda like that for everyone else too. Even if it wasn't, you guys at least know where I'm coming from, right? Even if logically you know that's not true, it's normal to feel this way. I certainly have, in terms of being an '80s and early-mid '90s kid...which is why it's my favorite time. The pop culture and overall feel of the world seems quite innocent to me, at least from a 2007 perspective (and earlier really - in middle and high school I was kinda saying the same thing).

The '80s teens are now in positions to influence the media and pop culture, which is probably why there's far less overall "hate" on it now, even among older generations who probably despised it at the time. I believe even people like Tipper Gore have softened up over the years. Even during the '90s they were still too recent overall to get that kind of widespread respect, so it wouldn't have been unusual to see some older person ripping on them like they were super recent or still going on. I had one 50ish teacher in sixth grade who felt this way about Nintendo games and music videos...in 1994! I brought up VH1 a few times, and she had less than nice things to say about it. At the time I thought she was such a grumpy old hag, but I now realize that was just her opinion which she was entitled to (even if I obviously disagree, lol). To someone her age, particularly in an authoritive role like that dealing with kids, Pac Man probably seemed like it had just hit the market yesterday.

That all being said, even as time passes and the Boomers slip out of power (say, in 2020) I think the "classic rock era" will probably remain a sort of cornerstone in terms of people idolizing it. It was very revolutionary, for the music and the times themselves. I think 1982-1998 or so, will become the big "MTV/mall/skater generation", especially as more late Gen Xers and Yers get in control of the media.

Right now, the '90s and probably even late '80s haven't reached the level yet, which the early MTV era has. For example, that's why hip hop is sometimes still treated like it's brand new by certain people, or that all Nineties music gets lumped in as "crap". To this day I find myself often having to tell people it wasn't all gangsta, shock rock and grunge, and that if you look at everything that was on the charts, it was extremely diverse (which has mixed results). ;)

Written By: woops on 09/21/07 at 1:49 pm

^ same way with another board I visit that look at the '90's as cr@p...

Written By: Step-chan on 09/21/07 at 3:33 pm

^Good points.

Another thing to take into consideration is how strong of a hold the Baby Boomers have had for a long time on influencing the media. Don't get me wrong, I'm a sizable classic rock fan, but the critical respect which 1964-1980/'81 music gets in comparison to other times can border on ridiculous sometimes. This is probably why every classic rock station plays certain songs to death, and why there's sort of a universal opinion on how "good" that time is.

Yeah, whether or not people admit it, I think everyone's opinion is at least partially influenced by their own life and experiences. There's probably a subconcious feeling of, Hey, I went through this myself, so it must've been kinda like that for everyone else too. Even if it wasn't, you guys at least know where I'm coming from, right? Even if logically you know that's not true, it's normal to feel this way. I certainly have, in terms of being an '80s and early-mid '90s kid...which is why it's my favorite time. The pop culture and overall feel of the world seems quite innocent to me, at least from a 2007 perspective (and earlier really - in middle and high school I was kinda saying the same thing).

The '80s teens are now in positions to influence the media and pop culture, which is probably why there's far less overall "hate" on it now, even among older generations who probably despised it at the time. I believe even people like Tipper Gore have softened up over the years. Even during the '90s they were still too recent overall to get that kind of widespread respect, so it wouldn't have been unusual to see some older person ripping on them like they were super recent or still going on. I had one 50ish teacher in sixth grade who felt this way about Nintendo games and music videos...in 1994! I brought up VH1 a few times, and she had less than nice things to say about it. At the time I thought she was such a grumpy old hag, but I now realize that was just her opinion which she was entitled to (even if I obviously disagree, lol). To someone her age, particularly in an authoritive role like that dealing with kids, Pac Man probably seemed like it had just hit the market yesterday.

That all being said, even as time passes and the Boomers slip out of power (say, in 2020) I think the "classic rock era" will probably remain a sort of cornerstone in terms of people idolizing it. It was very revolutionary, for the music and the times themselves. I think 1982-1998 or so, will become the big "MTV/mall/skater generation", especially as more late Gen Xers and Yers get in control of the media.

Right now, the '90s and probably even late '80s haven't reached the level yet, which the early MTV era has. For example, that's why hip hop is sometimes still treated like it's brand new by certain people, or that all Nineties music gets lumped in as "crap". To this day I find myself often having to tell people it wasn't all gangsta, shock rock and grunge, and that if you look at everything that was on the charts, it was extremely diverse (which has mixed results). ;)

Applaud for you. O0

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/22/07 at 12:04 pm

^Good points.

I agree 100%

I hate it when someone says "'80s Music Sucks" or "'90s Music Sucks". It's not really fair to make a generalization like that. Maybe Grunge wasn't your cup of tea(I admit I'm not a huge fan), but the nineties wasn't all about grunge or even gangsta rap for that matter, there was alot of other great music out there.

For another example, I admit I'm not a huge fan of '70s music. It was "before my time" and I never really had much exposure to it growing up. That being said, I would never stereotype all '70s music as being bad just because I don't like it as a whole. And there are alot of '70s songs that I really like.

Saying that the '90s were "all about grunge" would be the same as saying the '70s were "all about disco". In this case, niether one of those is true.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/22/07 at 4:41 pm

I agree 100%

I hate it when someone says "'80s Music Sucks" or "'90s Music Sucks". It's not really fair to make a generalization like that. Maybe Grunge wasn't your cup of tea(I admit I'm not a huge fan), but the nineties wasn't all about grunge or even gangsta rap for that matter, there was alot of other great music out there.

For another example, I admit I'm not a huge fan of '70s music. It was "before my time" and I never really had much exposure to it growing up. That being said, I would never stereotype all '70s music as being bad just because I don't like it as a whole. And there are alot of '70s songs that I really like.

Saying that the '90s were "all about grunge" would be the same as saying the '70s were "all about disco". In this case, niether one of those is true.

Yeah, regardless of what they're directed at, I pretty much despise blanket statements in general. There's always more to something than it would appear on the surface. Every decade gets this somewhat, but the '80s seemed to really get it hard for being all about overprocessed, flashy MTV music; while the '90s do for being all about its darker, more edgy side. Although, of course, that was only a really small part of it. It's ironic how it's common to see people born in, say 1968 (not always of course, but I've definitely seen it among more than a few) totally trash the '90s, while they love what was popular just a few years before. They were only 24 in 1992, and you'd think some were 50 with the way they talk about it.

I actually think 1989 is the real "test" year. Like, if you enjoy almost every kind of pop music that year, it's pretty easy to like the '90s. This seemed to be the first time the Eighties style began slipping away and music started getting a hip hop influence. That doesn't mean Bobby Brown and Paula Abdul were rap (even for then), but definitely had some traces of it. The more accoustic power ballads/revival of classic rock was kind of an omen to grunge too.

EDIT: Speaking of prior decades, strangely enough I like the '60s much more than the '70s. I heard alot of British Invasion, Motown, Rolling Stones and Beatles songs growing up, so it feels like a secondary part of my heritage. While there's a few individual '70s songs I love (maybe 15 to 20 in all), as a whole it just never appealed to me.

Written By: tnf on 10/08/07 at 3:35 am

1998 the best year in music? That's a matter of taste.

If you like softpop, it may be your favorite music year. I remember 1998 as being extremely calm (musicwise). But I like electronic music, and besides the release of Air's 'Moon safari', I can't say it's my favorite music year. To be honest, one of my least favorites since 1988. Here in Europe, there was a lot of shallow clubtrance and I'm also no drum'n bass or speedgarage lover.

People can view my personal 1998 selection on this page of my website.

Btw: I think 2000 and 2001 weren't that bad, besides all that teenybopper crap. Both belong to my favorite music years, with the late 80s / early 90s and the year 2005 (but 2006 and 2007 are lacking something special, in my opinion).

Written By: Ivan on 10/18/07 at 10:59 am

I like 1990's music best!

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/20/07 at 5:06 pm

I like the whole decade of the 1990s even though I like RnB and rap music from 1990-1998 better.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 5:46 pm

MattheRat, you've stirred up quite a discussion here  :) I guess I haven't given my two cents yet, but I may as well.

I will say 1998 was a good year in music. Neither was it great nor bad. I don't have any qualms about most of the stuff that came out that year and actually I have fairly good music memories from that time.

Now, as for what Mr. John Doe is proclaiming, there is nothing wrong with liking music from ALL decades no matter what age you are.
I was just at someone's house this last Sunday who burned me CD's from the '90s. She's in her '70s. My Grandpa listens to new country music all the time. He's 85. My mom loves Celine Dion. She's 55.

Yes, the music from the 50s/60s/70s and even 80s are GREAT decades in music because to be honest, that music is great stuff. That kind of music of that kind of calibur is just not being made anymore, and if so, most are weaker imitations that are somewhat likable.

GREAT music also depends on the listener. A trained ear may listen for certain melodic sequences. Another may just read into the lyrics more than the melody. One may get hooked on the beat.

The '90s do have some very standout hits and eventually will be marked as a great decade, but the problem is most of the stuff that they play on the radio is not best '90s stuff. There was better stuff from the '90s than what you usually hear. That's the misfortune the '90s have - most of that decades best stuff never got proper airplay - or none at all.

And yes, a good portion comes down to personal tastes.

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 6:27 pm

MattheRat, you've stirred up quite a discussion here  :) I guess I haven't given my two cents yet, but I may as well.

I will say 1998 was a good year in music. Neither was it great nor bad. I don't have any qualms about most of the stuff that came out that year and actually I have fairly good music memories from that time.

Now, as for what Mr. John Doe is proclaiming, there is nothing wrong with liking music from ALL decades no matter what age you are.
I was just at someone's house this last Sunday who burned me CD's from the '90s. She's in her '70s. My Grandpa listens to new country music all the time. He's 85. My mom loves Celine Dion. She's 55.

Yes, the music from the 50s/60s/70s and even 80s are GREAT decades in music because to be honest, that music is great stuff. That kind of music of that kind of calibur is just not being made anymore, and if so, most are weaker imitations that are somewhat likable.

GREAT music also depends on the listener. A trained ear may listen for certain melodic sequences. Another may just read into the lyrics more than the melody. One may get hooked on the beat.

The '90s do have some very standout hits and eventually will be marked as a great decade, but the problem is most of the stuff that they play on the radio is not best '90s stuff. There was better stuff from the '90s than what you usually hear. That's the misfortune the '90s have - most of that decades best stuff never got proper airplay - or none at all.

And yes, a good portion comes down to personal tastes.

I didn't really know much about 90s music before 1999 until recently. It is a lot better than 00s music.

Written By: nondiva234 on 11/20/07 at 11:26 pm

I'll say that 1998 was a pretty good year. There were loads of bubblegum tunes that we love to hate (or hate to love). That was pretty much all that was on the airwaves at that time.

Written By: tv on 11/21/07 at 6:58 pm

I'll say that 1998 was a pretty good year. There were loads of bubblegum tunes that we love to hate (or hate to love). That was pretty much all that was on the airwaves at that time.
I have to laugh that all 1998 had to offer was bubbegum tunes. No, 1998 had  rap(Puff Daddy, Busta Ryhmes), R&B(Brian McKnight, Lauryn Hill, Pop-Rock(Fastaball, Third Eye Blind.) Yes I know the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync were big in 1998 but not as big as they were in 1999-2000. You make 1998 sound like it was 1999 with all there was was "bubblegum tunes".
Here's some 1998 songs for you:

Kiss The Rain-Billie Myers
Half On A Baby-R. Kelly
The Boy Is Mine-Brandy/Monica
I Get So Lonely-Janet Jackson/Blackstreet
Too Close-Next
How Deep Is Your Love-Dru Hill
Rain-SWV
Love Like This-Faith Evans
Shimmer-Fuel
The Way-Fastball
Cruel Summer-Ace Of Base
Crush-Jennifer Paige
Feels So Good-Mase
The Sweetest Thing-U2
Truly, Madly, Deeply-Savage Garden
Lately-Divine
The Softest Place on Earth-Xscape

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/22/07 at 2:50 pm

I have to laugh that all 1998 had to offer was bubbegum tunes. No, 1998 had  rap(Puff Daddy, Busta Ryhmes), R&B(Brian McKnight, Lauryn Hill, Pop-Rock(Fastaball, Third Eye Blind.) Yes I know the Backstreet Boys and N'Sync were big in 1998 but not as big as they were in 1999-2000. You make 1998 sound like it was 1999 with all there was was "bubblegum tunes".
Here's some 1998 songs for you:

Kiss The Rain-Billie Myers
Half On A Baby-R. Kelly
The Boy Is Mine-Brandy/Monica
I Get So Lonely-Janet Jackson/Blackstreet
Too Close-Next
How Deep Is Your Love-Dru Hill
Rain-SWV
Love Like This-Faith Evans
Shimmer-Fuel
The Way-Fastball
Cruel Summer-Ace Of Base
Crush-Jennifer Paige
Feels So Good-Mase
The Sweetest Thing-U2
Truly, Madly, Deeply-Savage Garden
Lately-Divine
The Softest Place on Earth-Xscape

I love "The Way" and "Crush". Yeah, I think 1998 is the last year that really fits with the old school world, like to where someone like Boyz II Men could still chart (they weren't still around, but stuff like that was). There was alot of other R&B as well as pop that didn't have a hip hop influence.

I agree with everything HotStuff said too (as I usually do). :) There's no age limit to who likes what, and it depends on personal taste, but the '50s through the early-mid '90s are generally considered very well liked among lots of people, just because of the variety.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/23/07 at 4:24 pm

I think there should be a 1998 album featurs all 1998 year in music and again 1998 is the best year in music

Written By: dushanbe on 11/23/07 at 5:15 pm

not even close but 1998 isnt bad

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/08/08 at 4:32 pm

is now 10 years of the greatest year in music and I wish someone post 1998 songs and news on the board and 1998 had VH III out

Written By: midnite on 03/12/08 at 11:28 pm

1991 was the best year of the 90s in music - hands down - Grunge, Hip Hop, R&B, Dance, etc.  - Nirvana, Pearl Jam and countless other grunge bands hit the scene.  Hip hop blossomed with Cypress Hill, Ice Cube, and many others.  R&B was very popular at that time as well. Madonna and Michael Jackson had big hits.

1997 was the second best year of the 90s in my eyes.  Radiohead's OK computer, The Verve, and many other UK acts.  Dance and Trance music were emerging.

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 03/28/08 at 6:51 pm

I wonder what happen to neXt and fastball last time I heard fastball  was outta my head

Written By: Nineties nut on 03/28/08 at 10:48 pm

It really depends on taste.

Personally I prefer the late nineties (96-99) for my softer, teeny, upbeat bubblegum pop but I prefer the early nineties (90-94) for my heavier stuff. Metallica turned out some of what I believe to be some of their greatest stuff during the early nineties. Everything through the the three year period of 94, 95 and 96 was just a few stand out hits.

But hey, that's one girls opinion right?  :)

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 11/27/08 at 6:32 pm

well 1998 is the best year in music and here is another thought from me...remember 1998 has the begining of the end of the clinton era? well 10 years later we elected another democratic president and he is the first aferican american president also 1998 is best remmebered of the sports entertainment era in the WWF (now wwe)

Written By: 90steen on 11/27/08 at 9:12 pm

1998 was definitely not a bad year for music, but it wasn't the best.

There were a few memorable ones, but none that completely stuck to me.

the early and mid 90's have songs that i still can't get enough of.
1998 was a big year for Mase, who I loved, and some other good songs that I remember.

Body Bumpin' (iYppi-Yi-Yo) - Public Announcement
Cruel Summer - Ace Of Base
Deja Vu (Uptown Baby) - Lord Tariq w/ Peter Gunz
Ghetto Supastar - Pras
(I used to bump this song)
Good Riddance - Green Day
I Don't Want To Wait - Paula Cole
Raise The Roof - Luke
Sock it 2 Me - Missy Elliot & Da Brat
Not A Player - Big Punisher?
Too Much - Spice Girls
Westside - TQ

The thing about 1998, it was full of one hit wonders and artists never even heard of before, and never heard of again. and the sound of the music completely changed that year.

The year itself, might as well been one of the best of my life. I graduated highschool that year and went away to college.

for years in music, I would definitely say the best year is 1993. follow by 1992. Those 2 years in a row had some good songs.
All of the music from junior high.

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/07/08 at 10:56 pm

I agree with Marty that 1999 was a big change year in music. Britney Spears, Jennifer Lopez, Limp Bizkit, and to a lesser degree the success of TLC's "Fanmail" album were markers of the change away from laid-back pop to a more processed, R&B/rap influenced rock and pop. 1998 was the last year with considerable diversity of music on the charts, with soft R&B ("urban contemporary"), alternative-influenced pop ("The Way" and such), female crooners (Celine Dion), R&B pop like Will Smith, teen pop, and just pop like Savage Garden and Natalie Imbruglia. After Britney Spears came on the market in late 1998, it was as big a change for the music market as Madonna's entrance in late 1984 to the charts with "Like a Virgin." After her, less aggressive[/i, processed, heavy music could get on the charts. Don't get me wrong; "...Baby One More Time" was not the only force in the changes in the music industry and public taste. But it is one of the most important singles of the past 25 years, up there with "Like a Virgin", "When Doves Cry", etc.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/08/08 at 10:02 am

Man, albums during the Clinton era sold 15 million copies like it was nothing. Tons of albums went diamond (10 million or more sold) during the 90's. Now, the most album sales is like 6 million copies?

Anyways, 1998 wasn't the best year of music 'for me', but it was the last good year of music IMO. Then 1999 came and Britney and rap music starting playing everywhere. I despised music between 1999 and 2006. I think in 2007/2008, music started to improve though.

Written By: danootaandme on 12/08/08 at 11:47 am

No such thing as best. 

Written By: tv on 12/10/08 at 11:45 am

Man, albums during the Clinton era sold 15 million copies like it was nothing. Tons of albums went diamond (10 million or more sold) during the 90's. Now, the most album sales is like 6 million copies?

Anyways, 1998 wasn't the best year of music 'for me', but it was the last good year of music IMO. Then 1999 came and Britney and rap music starting playing everywhere. I despised music between 1999 and 2006. I think in 2007/2008, music started to improve though.
Rap really wasn;t that popular in 1999-2002 I don;t remember it being everywhere doing those 4 years.

As for album sales yeah grunge bands, R&B acts, and gangsta rappers sold records like crazy during the 1992-1996 period, than it was teen-pop acts that sold albums like crazy during 1997-2000. Pop rap acts like Will Smith, and Puff Daddy had great sales of their albums in 1997-1998. Matchbox Twenty and Third Eye Blind were the big sellers for pop-alternative music I guess you can call it back in 1997-1998.

Written By: tv on 12/10/08 at 12:03 pm

After Britney Spears came on the market in late 1998, it was as big a change for the music market as Madonna's entrance in late 1984 to the charts with "Like a Virgin." After her, less aggressiveI think "Baby One More Time" at the time(early 1999) was probably the most influential single to hit the music charts since Nirvana's 1991 hit "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/11/08 at 11:27 am

Rap really wasn;t that popular in 1999-2002 I don;t remember it being everywhere doing those 4 years.

As for album sales yeah grunge bands, R&B acts, and gangsta rappers sold records like crazy during the 1992-1996 period, than it was teen-pop acts that sold albums like crazy during 1997-2000. Pop rap acts like Will Smith, and Puff Daddy had great sales of their albums in 1997-1998. Matchbox Twenty and Third Eye Blind were the big sellers for pop-alternative music I guess you can call it back in 1997-1998.

The dance-pop (Christina Aguilera, Destiny's Child, Shaggy, Jennifer Lopez, Nelly, Usher, TLC) and R&B (Alicia Keys, Ashanti) that was popular in '99-'02 really influenced the hip-hop dance-pop that started to dominate the charts in spring 2003 in terms of its overwrought production styles and thematic content. I think of rap as having taken a break, as you said, between the time Britney Spears came out and 50 Cent came out in 2003, with the exception of, say, Eminem...

The first "rap" artists to have #1 hits since 1997 were Eminem, Ja Rule, and Nelly in 2002...though I don't think "Hot in Herre" is actually rap. But the song that I credit with having definitively changed the musical landscape is "In Da Club" by 50 Cent, which hit #1 on March 8, 2003. After that, the chart-toppers were almost entirely hip-hop or hip-hop influenced pop (Beyonce) for years. I'm actually going to partially credit the influence of the Neptunes and Timbaland as producers in the late '90s and early '00s to changing the sound of American charting pop and, as well, poppifying hip-hop to make it more danceable. Britney Spears' "...Baby One More Time" was so influential, IMO, because it combined a thumping hip-hop/R&B beat and rhythm with candy-like teen pop. Both that sound and the kind of explicitly sexual marketing that it had influenced everything to come after it. The next really big influential single, IMO, was "In Da Club." Ever since then, there's been a slow move away from hip-hop being so dominant, to dance-pop with hip-hop influences topping the charts.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/11/08 at 4:50 pm

Rap really wasn;t that popular in 1999-2002 I don;t remember it being everywhere during those 4 years.

Did you people forget Ja Rule? Nelly? P. Diddy? Outkast? Eminem? Rap was starting to dominate, maybe I am wrong? Here are a few songs from those eras...

My Name Is, Eminem (1999)
I'm Real (2001)- The song sucks, but it is still a rap song
Ride Wit Me, Nelly (2000)
Ms. Jackson, Outkast (2000)
What would you do, City High (2001)
Thong Song (2000)
I Need a Girl, P. Diddy (2002)

Okay, I was wrong, rap was on the charts, but didn't dominate until 2003!  ;)

Written By: Satish on 12/11/08 at 9:46 pm

I don't think Britney Spears' "Baby, One More Time" in the late 90s was quite that influential. Some people might give it credit for starting the teen pop trend that was big from 1999 to 2001, but I kind of think the music scene was already moving that way in 1997 and '98, with the Spice Girls and N'Sync.

Anyway, the boy group trend was already big in other countries before finally coming to the United States. The Backstreet Boys were huge in Europe back in 1996

Written By: velvetoneo on 12/12/08 at 12:24 pm

I don't think Britney Spears' "Baby, One More Time" in the late 90s was quite that influential. Some people might give it credit for starting the teen pop trend that was big from 1999 to 2001, but I kind of think the music scene was already moving that way in 1997 and '98, with the Spice Girls and N'Sync.

Anyway, the boy group trend was already big in other countries before finally coming to the United States. The Backstreet Boys were huge in Europe back in 1996

I don't think "...Baby, One More Time" was influential in terms of starting the teen pop trend. I think it was influential in terms of starting the movement towards a production style/image that ultimately defeated the teen pop trend, even though it was teen pop. It was teen pop but transcended it, and started the move towards stuff like Rihanna and Beyonce.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/12/08 at 1:07 pm

Did you people forget Ja Rule? Nelly? P. Diddy? Outkast? Eminem? Rap was starting to dominate, maybe I am wrong? Here are a few songs from those eras...

My Name Is, Eminem (1999)
I'm Real (2001)- The song sucks, but it is still a rap song
Ride Wit Me, Nelly (2000)
Ms. Jackson, Outkast (2000)
What would you do, City High (2001)
Thong Song (2000)
I Need a Girl, P. Diddy (2002)

Okay, I was wrong, rap was on the charts, but didn't dominate until 2003!  ;)

Rap was pretty popular in 2001 and 2002, less so in the year 2000 and 1999 because of the bubblegum pop fad, but in 2004 rap was seemingly the entire chart at times other than a generic three doors down or nickelback song. There's a bit more variety now in late 2008 though hip-hop is still the clear leading genre thought it's going in different directions these days, you have artists like Kanye West and Akon dabbling with electroish sounds and straying more from a typical sound. 2008 is definitely more on the pop side than 2004 was.

Written By: Bree on 12/12/08 at 4:36 pm

I don't think "...Baby, One More Time" was influential in terms of starting the teen pop trend. I think it was influential in terms of starting the movement towards a production style/image that ultimately defeated the teen pop trend, even though it was teen pop. It was teen pop but transcended it, and started the move towards stuff like Rihanna and Beyonce.

Britney... start of the trashy Lolitia tramps for sick minded pervs  8-P

Written By: tv on 12/12/08 at 5:12 pm

No I agree with you that Britney didn't start the teen-pop trend but it broke out in 1999-2000 because of her though in my opinion.

Written By: joeman on 12/13/08 at 2:14 pm

No I agree with you that Britney didn't start the teen-pop trend but it broke out in 1999-2000 because of her though in my opinion.

If you ask me, teen-pop started in 96 with Hanson, which is funny because the drummer wasn't even a teen yet.

Written By: tv on 12/13/08 at 5:46 pm

If you ask me, teen-pop started in 96 with Hanson, which is funny because the drummer wasn't even a teen yet.
Hanson didn't hit until 1997 not 1996.

Written By: bunbun on 12/23/08 at 11:31 pm

1994 was cleary the best year ever for music a close second would be 1991...
bush, soundgarden, stone temple pilots, dookie, red hot chili peppers
this forum takes me back to jamming on the bus in middle school with my walkman...greenday's dookie was HUGE..so was the offspring's smash...pearl jam
1998 actually kinda sucked...backstreet boys, n'sync..brittney spears...just a whole bunch of manufactured garbage..if you ask me it was really the music died in 1998 ..plus (and even though I've warmed up to it over the last decade) marilyn manson officially ended his "coolness" with the mechanical animals album.

Written By: Xavier Renegade Angel on 12/28/08 at 11:00 am

Um....NO

It wasn't a bad year in music, especially compared to 1997 or, the worst year ever, 1999, but it wasn't nearly as good as pre-1992 stuff. The best years in music, in my opinion, are 1967 (Sgt. Peppers, the Doors, Hendrix), 1971 (Sticky Fingers, Led Zep IV, Paranoid), 1980 (Billy Joel, Another Brock in the Wall, Queen, Maiden, and disco went out of style), 1988(Metallica, GnR, Def Leppard), and 1991 (Metallica and GnR again, Nirvana, REM, RHCP, Pearl Jam before they started sucking). Every year before 1997 though had at least a few good things. It's my opinion that 1999 - 2003 was the worst era for music EVER, since the biggest thing was processed teen pop garbage, hip hop was becoming more materialistic, and the best rock had to offer was post-grunge crap like Nickelback and posers like Good Charlotte. 2004 was mediocre, 2005 was decent, 2006 was okay, 2007 was okay, 2008 was stale. Hopefully 2009 will be better.

Check for new replies or respond here...