inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why is teen pop so underrated and R&B so overrated?

Written By: Elko on 09/25/07 at 11:05 am

Just wandering why 00s R&B and pop music is so overrated since it's just crappy? The videos are crappy (a bitch, a bling-bling, a Mercedes and funny clothes)? 90s R&B was so much better! Good that things seem changing. At least Backstreet Boys were 100% greater than the dumb emo or pop punk bands. Anyone fed up with that R&B, rap, emo and whore pop craze?

Subject: Re: Why is teen pop so underrated and R&B so overrated?

Written By: whistledog on 09/25/07 at 11:28 am

90s R&B is just as crappy as today's R&B, but don't listen to me.  I don't like R&B LOL

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/25/07 at 11:51 am

Oh, it's all s**t!  00's, 90's, pop "punk", emo, whore pop, and yes, the Backstreet Boys - all s***t!  Why is it all overrated?  Because it's geared toward a younger audience that may not know what better music sounds like.  That's just my opinion and to be fair I'm an old fart!

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/07 at 12:09 pm

Oh, it's all s**t!  00's, 90's, pop "punk", emo, whore pop, and yes, the Backstreet Boys - all s***t!  Why is it all overrated?  Because it's geared toward a younger audience that may not know what better music sounds like.  That's just my opinion and to be fair I'm an old fart!

I'm with you.  The R&B that most listen to isn't R&B, it is toned down and kiddy up R&B.  I would say most of the MTV generation would know real R&B, and please don't every person who does jump up and down with "I'm MTV and I know"  First, I said most, and second....you probably really don't

Written By: Elko on 09/25/07 at 12:20 pm

Yeas, I agree on the R&B, emo and pop punk one. However, I don't think that NON commersial music is good. It's too depressing (I mean - metal?!) I don't need music to make me sad (metal, emo etc.) I want a light - hearted music like 90s teen pop that makes you happy and that's innocent (unlike rap and R&B). Is it too much that I want... well, I guess I've got to wait untill teen pop comes back.

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/25/07 at 1:09 pm

Acquaint yourself with Stevie Wonder RIGHT NOW!  He's so prolific, there's something for everyone!  You will then know what good music is and you will use this as your measuring stick.  You will understand that the aforementioned "new" stuff is s**t!  ;)

Written By: danootaandme on 09/25/07 at 5:17 pm

Yeas, I agree on the R&B, emo and pop punk one. However, I don't think that NON commersial music is good. It's too depressing (I mean - metal?!) I don't need music to make me sad (metal, emo etc.) I want a light - hearted music like 90s teen pop that makes you happy and that's innocent (unlike rap and R&B). Is it too much that I want... well, I guess I've got to wait untill teen pop comes back.

I don't know where you get your music from, but R&B isn't all depressing, just like teen pop isn't all goodtimes.  You need to expand your horizons.  If you want some light-hearted music turn on "top ten" music from the 50s and 60s.  There is some real good stuff there.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/25/07 at 7:09 pm

Just wandering why 00s R&B and pop music is so overrated since it's just crappy? The videos are crappy (a bitch, a bling-bling, a Mercedes and funny clothes)? 90s R&B was so much better! Good that things seem changing. At least Backstreet Boys were 100% greater than the dumb emo or pop punk bands. Anyone fed up with that R&B, rap, emo and whore pop craze?

First of all I'm a huge '90s music fan (along with the '80s), so let me try to answer this question in a diplomatic sense without trashing an entire genre of era of music.

I think I have noticed what you're talking about here. It seems like pure R&B that doesn't have a hip hop influence has disappeared since after, say 2002. Toni Braxton, Mariah Carey's early-mid '90s work, All 4 One and stuff like that is very old-school and I miss it too. I guess it's just because some elements of hip hop pervade anything that's not emo or Nickelback now.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the boy bands, I agree it's a million times better that alot of what's around now. In fact, I kinda feel bad for ripping on the Backstreet Boys and Nsync in 1998 and 1999 (maybe I was just jealous of their female fanbase a little, lol). Some of those ballads were really good too, and just a modernized version of typical love songs. Like "I Want It That Way".

Written By: Loven1 on 09/25/07 at 8:59 pm

The videos are crappy (a bitch, a bling-bling, a Mercedes and funny clothes)?

lol.  I'll have to remember that.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 12:22 pm

First of all I'm a huge '90s music fan (along with the '80s), so let me try to answer this question in a diplomatic sense without trashing an entire genre of era of music.

I think I have noticed what you're talking about here. It seems like pure R&B that doesn't have a hip hop influence has disappeared since after, say 2002. Toni Braxton, Mariah Carey's early-mid '90s work, All 4 One and stuff like that is very old-school and I miss it too. I guess it's just because some elements of hip hop pervade anything that's not emo or Nickelback now.

While I wasn't a huge fan of the boy bands, I agree it's a million times better that alot of what's around now. In fact, I kinda feel bad for ripping on the Backstreet Boys and Nsync in 1998 and 1999 (maybe I was just jealous of their female fanbase a little, lol). Some of those ballads were really good too, and just a modernized version of typical love songs. Like "I Want It That Way".
I agree with Marty and the orginal poster on this thread that 90's R&b was so much better. I mean we had SWV, Brian McKnight(his 1993 hit "One Last Cry" is so underrated and unknown and I think its a great song that never got its due.) We had Monica, Tevin Campbell, R. Kelly, Montell Jordan, Toni Braxton, Ginuwine, Mary J. Blige, Blackstreet, Babyface, and Faith Evans in the 90's.

As for Light-Hearted music you don;t have to go back to the 50's and 60's like some other poster on this thread said.  What about Brian McKnight and Vanessa Williams 1992 hit "Love Is" that is a great ballad.  I think Vanessa Williams's hit "Save The Best For Last" was light-hearted as well as Alantic Starrs's 1992 hit "Masterpiece".  What about "The First Time" by pop/R&B group "Surface" from 1991 and "If I Ever Fall In Love...." by Pop/R&B Group "Shai" from 1992?

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 12:27 pm

Acquaint yourself with Stevie Wonder RIGHT NOW!  He's so prolific, there's something for everyone!  You will then know what good music is and you will use this as your measuring stick.  You will understand that the aforementioned "new" stuff is s**t!  ;)
First off Stevie Wonder is a great artist but far few artists are going to match up to his greatness. Stevie Wonder's do not come along every day.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 12:32 pm

I don;t think teen-pop while come back in a few years to where it was as dominant as it was in 1999-2000 maybe if the ecomomy is great. I still don;t understand why people even stick-up for the teen-pop era of 1999-2000 it was just so overexposed and it got tiering real fast because of the exposure. I wish the whole teen-pop would just have just stayed at its 1997-1998 popularity and not blown up to a monster in its 1999-2000 popularity.

Written By: tv on 09/26/07 at 12:43 pm

I agree most of today's rap is ridiculous wity Mercedes, bling, bling but what funny clothes are you talking about? See... the problem I have with todays rap is it just me and I;m gonna say it is Jay-z the most overrated artist ever? I mean I like the guy and he is very likebale but I don;t see how he is a great MC I just don;t get why the hip-hop magazines but him on such as pedestol of greatness. I say that "Nas" should get the credit that Jay-Z gets all the time.

As far the EMO craze goes its so whiny how can anybody listen to that? The only EMO song that I can stand is "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" by Good Charlotte thats the only EMO that I like.

As far as R&B goes there is R&B past 2002? I didn;t know there was with the exception of "Usher" for the most part thats about it and even he did that corny song "Yeah" which was his worst song and I like Usher too and yet that song went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004? I can't figure it out.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/26/07 at 5:31 pm

RODGDKLLKDLKD LOL LOLOLOLOL@OLL@OLLO!!!!!!!!

Idiot.

<<insert rambling here>>
What's so wrong about having an opinion? So what if someone doesn't care for the 90s as much as you do? I have to agree with Jason where in that I feel that much of what came out as popular in the 90s (particularly in the latter half) was crap in my opinion. If you liked it, that's fine. I'm not saying you should change your opinion or that "you're an idiot" for liking something that I don't. Which is what you seem to be doing. Having said all that, there was a lot of 90s stuff I liked (and I'm sure "Idiot Jason" likes a fair bit of 90s music as well)

If you don't like something, why bother commenting on it?
Then the threads would appear boring and one-dimensional. The idea of a forum such as this is to get a wide range of opinions. If every post in 1 particular thread was "I agree" or "I liked that too" etc. then how boring.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/26/07 at 6:49 pm

I for one quite love '90s R&B, I know not everybody does though...that's fine.

Written By: Haynsoul on 09/27/07 at 12:35 am

Then the threads would appear boring and one-dimensional. The idea of a forum such as this is to get a wide range of opinions. If every post in 1 particular thread was "I agree" or "I liked that too" etc. then how boring.

Uh...how does posts like "I hate R&B! LOL!" make the thread any better? The OP was asking for thoughtful posts on the subject but then someone see's "teen pop" and "R&B" in the title and jumps all over it with their usual 1 sentence hate messages. There's no discussion there. Just someone who decided to troll on someone elses thread.

I can see why some people here have over 20k posts.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/27/07 at 3:11 am

Uh...how does posts like "I hate R&B! LOL!" make the thread any better? The OP was asking for thoughtful posts on the subject but then someone see's "teen pop" and "R&B" in the title and jumps all over it with their usual 1 sentence hate messages. There's no discussion there. Just someone who decided to troll on someone elses thread.

I can see why some people here have over 20k posts.

What bothers me is the "music connoisseurs" that feel a need to criticize every little thing they don't like in this smart kinda annoying way, usually you see this in any thread about modern ('90s and now) pop/r&b. It's pretty off putting when all you see is everything you like is labeled as garbage by these people with such superior taste, and all those people agree with each other and make stupid jokes about the "talentless" pop music, it's just dumb and immature...

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/07 at 4:41 am

What bothers me is the "music connoisseurs" that feel a need to criticize every little thing they don't like in this smart kinda annoying way, usually you see this in any thread about modern ('90s and now) pop/r&b. It's pretty off putting when all you see is everything you like is labeled as garbage by these people with such superior taste, and all those people agree with each other and make stupid jokes about the "talentless" pop music, it's just dumb and immature...

I agree. While everybody's entitled to their own tastes, it does kinda come off as narrow minded typecasting (although I'm guessing they don't necesarilly intend for it to) when you hear finalized, blanket statements - i.e. "Rap belongs with a C in front of it."

In looking at it from their point of view, the classic rockers and earlier Generation Xers just probably lament a time when there was very little if any "urban" music on the scene. In one way I can see where they're coming from because I love that polished '80s pop sound and kinda miss it myself (I grew up on that). Where it differs is that I don't lump everything from 1991+ as crap just because gangsta, shock rock and grunge music were present.

There's a HUGE misconception that it's all that existed during the '90s. People have very stereotypical views of the music scene even starting around 1989 (and in full force by 1993) just because "the eighties was gone" and these new forms of music existed. Of course, you have to look under the surface with everything. If they do, they'd realize alot of real R&B, adult contemporary, rock and dance music still co-existed right alongside it. In fact, the charts were dominated much more by pop than by grunge.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/27/07 at 5:36 am

That comment earlier probably came off a bit harsh. That's what happens when I hadn't had my morning coffee yet.  :D

Written By: tv on 09/27/07 at 7:32 am

I agree. While everybody's entitled to their own tastes, it does kinda come off as narrow minded typecasting (although I'm guessing they don't necesarilly intend for it to) when you hear finalized, blanket statements - i.e. "Rap belongs with a C in front of it."

In looking at it from their point of view, the classic rockers and earlier Generation Xers just probably lament a time when there was very little if any "urban" music on the scene. In one way I can see where they're coming from because I love that polished '80s pop sound and kinda miss it myself (I grew up on that). Where it differs is that I don't lump everything from 1991+ as crap just because gangsta, shock rock and grunge music were present.

There's a HUGE misconception that it's all that existed during the '90s. People have very stereotypical views of the music scene even starting around 1989 (and in full force by 1993) just because "the eighties was gone" and these new forms of music existed. Of course, you have to look under the surface with everything. If they do, they'd realize alot of real R&B, adult contemporary, rock and dance music still co-existed right alongside it. In fact, the charts were dominated much more by pop than by grunge.
No 1989 still had alot of 80's stuff on the Billboard Hot 100 like a Jody Watley, Taylor Dayne, Bobby Brown, and Paula Abdul though all those artists were dominant in the late 80's period/early 90's period and not the 1983-1986 period. Prince, Madonna, and Phil Collins were on the charts in 1989 although all 3 artists would still be charting in the 90's. I would say 1992 or 1993 was probably the last year that a early Gen Xer would still be into the music scene. People like me(born anywhere from 1976-1981) took over the music scene from 1994-1998 and especially from 1994-1996.

As far as shock rock goes Marilyn Manson was the only shock rocker around in the 90's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/27/07 at 7:42 am

^ Yeah, that's true. 1989-1992 or maybe '93 was a mix of both. There were older artists like Phil Collins, Tom Petty and Rod Stewart who were still charting, but just weren't quite as pervasive as they were in the early-mid '80s. You're right though, that Bobby Brown/Paula Abdul-type music along with poppy hair metal was "cooler" and defined the time better. They weren't hip hop, but had some influence.

I think 1994 is the first year that totally dropped the '80s influence to the point of an older Xer not being able to relate to it at all. Although the hip hop style was mixing in with music as early as 1988 or '89.

Written By: tv on 09/27/07 at 7:56 am

^ Yeah, that's true. 1989-1992 or maybe '93 was a mix of both. There were older artists like Phil Collins, Tom Petty and Rod Stewart who were still charting, but just weren't quite as pervasive as they were in the early-mid '80s. You're right though, that Bobby Brown/Paula Abdul-type music along with poppy hair metal was "cooler" and defined the time better. They weren't hip hop, but had some influence.

I think 1994 is the first year that totally dropped the '80s influence to the point of an older Xer not being able to relate to it at all. Although the hip hop style was mixing in with music as early as 1988 or '89.
Yeah 1994 screams a 1979 or 1980 born Gex Xer I mean that year Sheryl Crow alomg with Collective Soul became popular and Stone Temple Pilots and Ace of Base were big that year too. Mr. Jones by the Counting Crows was a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1994. Green Day and The Offsring were pretty popular that year too as was a Dance/Club Play group like "Crystal Waters". Of course there was still stuff like Richard Marx, Gloria Estefan, and Phil Collins still charting. I remember that Richard Marx song "The Way She Love Me" from 1994 that a huge hit for him that year too. Elton John was still charting in 1994 I think he had a hit single off of a Disney Soundtrack( The Lion King maybe?)

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/27/07 at 11:19 am

First off Stevie Wonder is a great artist but far few artists are going to match up to his greatness. Stevie Wonder's do not come along every day.
True, but Babyface was mentioned, and while not as prolific, certainly has some good stuff to offer. 

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/27/07 at 11:30 am

I actually qualified my rant of saying 00's music is s**t by calling myself an old fart.  Modern music just doesn't appeal to me (wait 'til you get old  ;D).  Anyway, every other decade had its' share of s**t; believe me.  I actually suggested Stevie Wonder because he's got such great things to offer not because I think I'm better than anyone.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/29/07 at 8:38 am

Yeah 1994 screams a 1979 or 1980 born Gex Xer I mean that year Sheryl Crow alomg with Collective Soul became popular and Stone Temple Pilots and Ace of Base were big that year too. Mr. Jones by the Counting Crows was a Top 10 hit on the Billboard Hot 100 in 1994. Green Day and The Offsring were pretty popular that year too as was a Dance/Club Play group like "Crystal Waters". Of course there was still stuff like Richard Marx, Gloria Estefan, and Phil Collins still charting. I remember that Richard Marx song "The Way She Love Me" from 1994 that a huge hit for him that year too. Elton John was still charting in 1994 I think he had a hit single off of a Disney Soundtrack( The Lion King maybe?)

Yeah, I agree with that. I liked all those songs and artists myself too. Another good Richard Marx song from that year was "Nothing Left Behind Us". The more '80slike songs from the early-mid '90s seem like they were pushed onto the AC format, which seems to change slower than rock or pop does. That's what people like Bryan Adams sorta became around 1991.

I knew about the Offspring then too (although I didn't get into them until Americana came out in 1998). In fact, you could say 1994 was when things very slowly started becoming like they are today, at least with some basic genres. Green Day and Offspring are like a five-star version of Simple Plan, Good Charlotte and the other early-mid '00s pop/punk bands.

Written By: Vasil on 10/07/07 at 2:12 am

I just prefer pop, teen pop, bubblegum pop and eurodance a lot more than current hip-hop, rap, R&B and pop/punk. At least their videos were colorful and full of happiness, not dark and creepy. The same for the songs. A good thing is that Rihanna's last songs are near to pop, and a lot better than her first songs, influenced mainly by R&B and hip-hop.

Written By: Vasil on 10/07/07 at 2:22 am

I'll put it simple:
I like almost all of the 90's music: teen pop, pop, bubblegum pop, eurodance and even some R&B and hip-hop.
However, I think the 00's took almost every good music out the scene. For example Kylie Minogue's 2003 album was a piece of sheesh. The same for post-2001 work from Britney Spears. It's just that, since 2001-2002 pop is not popular anymore. Hip-hop influenced R&B rules since than, which is crappy for me. Original R&B was so much better. The same for 90's and older hip-hop. And teen pop was better than the current pop music (if there is actually such). Just hope that things are coming to a change anytime soon. I miss 90's music - pop, teen pop, bubblegum pop, R&B and hip-hop.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 11:44 am

I like R&B I prefer older R&B but only because I am old now but there are still songs and artists now that  I like.  I hope in all of this R&B bashing tho we aren't confusing R&B for rap because they are two different genres. like all music there can be fusion between the two but in general they should be classified seperetely.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/07/07 at 2:42 pm

R&B/hip-hop has defintely taken over again. In the 90's, it replaced "pop's" (never quite sure what defines "pop") in popularity. Then in the late, late 90's/early 2000's, "pop" became popular again (with acts like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Jessica Simpson, etc.), but that all quickly faded away. Now R&B has overtaken again, and I'm glad.

It seems like R&B is much more electronic-influenced now.

Written By: K-Bee on 11/10/07 at 8:35 am

I consider the 1988-1994 era a great time for r&b with lots of innovations going on. In the mid 80s r&b was very much ballad based with much emphasis on MOR elements (think Peabo Bryson, Whitney Houston) - it had to be if capable of crossing over to the pop charts. There was some exceptions though like Freddie Jackson and Loose Ends who were surprisingly popular given the style of music they performed.

Fast forward to 1987 and the release of Keith Sweats legendary debut album "Make It Last Forever". Here was an album that broke any 80s r&b  norm and made uptempo r&b able to cross over for the first time since the disco era. The new jack swing era was here and for the next five years a plethora of great releases came out. The music was dancable and most importantly: fun! It was basically a producers music style though but quite a few good vocalists still working today saw their initial output in this era.

Today new jack swing is somewhat of a footnote in r&b history and it's full story is yet to be written. It died out around 1994 only to be replaced with a combination of hip-hop influenced soul (like Mary J Blige early outings and H-Town) further developing into bedroom ballad craze of the mid-late 90s.

Nowadays r&b ( or urban contemporary as it has also been christened) is strictly catering for the younger audience. The good melody lines, infectious hooks and creative arranging have long gone. All were vital parts of New Jack swing. Today real soul artists like Wil Downing, Gary Taylor and Phil Perry have been forced to relocate to the indie labels not having the necessary financial power in order to promote those artists the way they deserve to be promoted.
Pure R&B not speaking to the bling/bitch/money element in people still exist. You just have to look very hard in order to find it.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/10/07 at 3:32 pm

^ Excellent points, I think you're right. In the early-mid '80s, almost any black or R&B artists tended to produce very "clean" pop-styled music that fit in with people who may not have otherwise probably wouldn't have listened to it. Stuff like Lionel Richie, that time's Michael Jackson or Whitney Houston, Hall and Oates (they're R&B in a way) and even Prince to an extent, were sanitized to appeal to the Top Forty crowd.

I'm not sure what caused this change, but I think there was a change around late 1986 or '87. I think that's the earliest time where more urban, streetwise dance music like Paula Abdul could've fit in. Janet Jackson also broke out that year too (and Paula choreographed some of her videos as well as taught her some dance moves lol, so in that respect, they're related).

1987-1996 was like the perfect era where R&B music had its classic elements, lots of ballads and not every song had hip hop influence, but also brought fresh and new things to the table at the same time. In some respects I think Boyz II Men was the last call for this slow jam era. When they were no longer popular, the old school era totally ended.

Written By: K-Bee on 11/11/07 at 2:21 am

I'm not sure what caused this change, but I think there was a change around late 1986 or '87. I think that's the earliest time where more urban, streetwise dance music like Paula Abdul could've fit in. Janet Jackson also broke out that year too (and Paula choreographed some of her videos as well as taught her some dance moves lol, so in that respect, they're related).

Yes, Janets "Control" album was a landmark effort and really brought Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis out to a whole new audience. I think it's popularity wasn't a coincidence though, as Janet pretty much were able to get the much needed spotlight being Michael's sister. Stylistically Jam/Lewis were real innovators and in many ways they laid the foundations to what Teddy Riley and Gene Griffin accomplished a bit later in the decade with Keith Sweat & Guy in particular.
Ever since Jam/Lewis wrote High Hopes for SOS Band back in '82, they always showed distinct musical skills in their arranging and songwriting, making tham able to stand out.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/02/08 at 8:30 pm

No... 2000s music is like awesome. 1990s music basically suck.  2000s music has a lot more and deft in it than shake yo booty on the  dance floor.  Hey Macarena.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/02/08 at 8:31 pm

90s R&B is just as crappy as today's R&B, but don't listen to me.  I don't like R&B LOL

1990s R&B is worse.  Basically a bunch of niggas chanting... 2000s, even if it's beat orientated, is pretty tight.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/02/08 at 8:36 pm

I'll put it simple:
I like almost all of the 90's music: teen pop, pop, bubblegum pop, eurodance and even some R&B and hip-hop.
However, I think the 00's took almost every good music out the scene. For example Kylie Minogue's 2003 album was a piece of sheesh. The same for post-2001 work from Britney Spears. It's just that, since 2001-2002 pop is not popular anymore. Hip-hop influenced R&B rules since than, which is crappy for me. Original R&B was so much better. The same for 90's and older hip-hop. And teen pop was better than the current pop music (if there is actually such). Just hope that things are coming to a change anytime soon. I miss 90's music - pop, teen pop, bubblegum pop, R&B and hip-hop.

Pop is pretty much back since late 2007-2008.

Written By: tv on 01/03/08 at 2:31 pm

Pop is pretty much back since late 2007-2008.

What Pop are you reffering too Miley Cyrus? I'm not making fun of todays music but what pop artists are on the charts right now that you are saying pop is back?

Written By: Blackjack on 01/03/08 at 9:45 pm

What Pop are you reffering too Miley Cyrus? I'm not making fun of todays music but what pop artists are on the charts right now that you are saying pop is back?

Yes pop is back and not just the Miley Cyrus bs.  We have our Disney stars of course, such as the Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus, but we also have more traditional pop sounding stuff.  We got Elliot Yamin, Hilary Duff, Ashley Tisdale, Avirl Lavigne, Tiffany Evans, etc.

Written By: Brian06 on 01/03/08 at 9:48 pm

Pop has always been big, it just changed sound in this decade and boy bands died.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/09/08 at 6:02 pm

How old are U... I just turned 17 in September... September 28.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/09/08 at 6:04 pm

I agree most of today's rap is ridiculous wity Mercedes, bling, bling but what funny clothes are you talking about? See... the problem I have with todays rap is it just me and I;m gonna say it is Jay-z the most overrated artist ever? I mean I like the guy and he is very likebale but I don;t see how he is a great MC I just don;t get why the hip-hop magazines but him on such as pedestol of greatness. I say that "Nas" should get the credit that Jay-Z gets all the time.

As far the EMO craze goes its so whiny how can anybody listen to that? The only EMO song that I can stand is "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" by Good Charlotte thats the only EMO that I like.

As far as R&B goes there is R&B past 2002? I didn;t know there was with the exception of "Usher" for the most part thats about it and even he did that corny song "Yeah" which was his worst song and I like Usher too and yet that song went to #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 in 2004? I can't figure it out.

I can stand Electroemo and Hawthorne Heights and all these "prep emo" artists...but the rest makes me want to throw up.  Even Club emo gets sickening, but it is better than standard 2005 emo.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/09/08 at 6:05 pm

I can stand Electroemo and Hawthorne Heights and all these "prep emo" artists...but the rest makes me want to throw up.  Even Club emo gets sickening, but it is better than standard 2005 emo.

Or 2000 emo.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/09/08 at 6:08 pm

I just prefer pop, teen pop, bubblegum pop and eurodance a lot more than current hip-hop, rap, R&B and pop/punk. At least their videos were colorful and full of happiness, not dark and creepy. The same for the songs. A good thing is that Rihanna's last songs are near to pop, and a lot better than her first songs, influenced mainly by R&B and hip-hop.

Listen to Flo Rida... he's more pop than rap too... actually more club like the Shut Up And Drive stuff.

Written By: Haman on 01/10/08 at 11:19 am

The videos are crappy (a bitch, a bling-bling, a Mercedes and funny clothes)? (...) Anyone fed up with that R&B, rap, emo and whore pop craze?

Don't underestimate the power of the bitch. Some videos are really sexually arising, which in fact can make you watch the whole video even though you might hate the music.

Some things never change.

And yes, I am fed up with both the R&B and emo fads.

Check for new replies or respond here...