inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How would you define Boyz II Men?

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/07 at 12:01 pm

They define the 1992-1995 pop period very well, but they're unclassifyable. They were sort of classic soul, a boy band and new jack swing all at once. When I've talked about '90s R&B still having alot of old-school, classic influences of the genre, I think they're a good example. They had very little, if any hip hop in their sound and did alot of vocalizing. I could see "End of the Road" in a less developed sense being like a Jackson Five song even.

Subject: Re: How would you define Boyz II Men?

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/02/07 at 7:44 pm

Boyz II Men was a very versatile group that did a little of everything, but I agree, it's hard to actually classify them under one genre. They put out a lot of good songs during their time, but "Motown Philly" remains my personal favorite.

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/07 at 11:03 pm

I usually just lump them into the R&B genre

Though I was never a major fan, 'Motownphilly' was my favourite as well

Written By: Brian06 on 10/02/07 at 11:04 pm

An R&B group.

Written By: Marty McFly on 10/02/07 at 11:17 pm

I don't have any of their full albums, but I think "End of the Road", "On Bended Knee" and "I'll Make Love to You" are some of the best ballads of the '90s. In fact, alot of bands that have really good singles I might not be that into as a whole.

Written By: statsqueen on 10/03/07 at 9:59 am

I always thought of them as R&B (in the same vicinity--though not in exactly the same sphere as Luther, Freddie, Teddy, etc.).  While I liked their ballads, "Motown Philly" was my favorite, too.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/03/07 at 10:32 am

I don't have any of their full albums, but I think "End of the Road", "On Bended Knee" and "I'll Make Love to You" are some of the best ballads of the '90s. In fact, alot of bands that have really good singles I might not be that into as a whole.

Those are my favorites too ;)

They are an R&B group, but with influences from other genre's as well. The strange thing is, even though they were still very popular as late as 10 years ago, that type of R&B would seem very out of place in today's music scene.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 10/03/07 at 6:43 pm

They're R n B with a mix of a capella. I owned two of their albums, plus a soundtrack album which featured "On Bended Knee." All three of these albums have been packed in boxes for years and I can't find them. It's driving me nuts!

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 10/03/07 at 7:12 pm

they always play their music at Kohls....i like them. everytime i hear thier music, i think of the scent of black leather.

Written By: snozberries on 10/07/07 at 11:52 am

Don't forget Waters Run Dry. I think this is my favorite ballad. 

I don't really see End of the Road as a Jackson Five song tho. I think the Jacksons were more soulful pop than R&B.  With the exception of Motownfilly which is more Hip Hop than R&B everything else B II M has done has an R&B flavor to it. I don't really think of them as a Boy Band per se. They are an R&B group, vocalist but I do think of the J5 as one of the original boy bands. 

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 10/07/07 at 4:34 pm

boyz II men were awsome but Color me badd Not so much

Written By: twistedwarp on 10/11/07 at 8:25 pm

Baby making music Lol

Check for new replies or respond here...