inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Short-lived shows of the 90's (What happened here?)

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/27/07 at 12:29 pm

I watched, loved, and still have a few taped episodes of Married People. It really upset me that they cancelled it, but how can a show gather a good loyal fanbase when it's being pre-empted at least twice a month by Gulf War coverage? >:( If I wanted to watch the news 24-7, I thought that's why we had CNN! That's the only reason the show didn't fly. For me it was just another reason to let Saddam swing! :P
I thought the arguments between Nick & Russell (especially when trying to help Alan)were often the funniest part of the show, but it was touching when Cindy tried turning to Olivia or Elizabeth for advice. It still irritates me that we never got to see baby Max grow up. :( Your thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Subject: Re: Short-lived shows of the 90's (What happened here?)

Written By: snozberries on 10/27/07 at 2:32 pm

I watched, loved, and still have a few taped episodes of Married People. It really upset me that they cancelled it, but how can a show gather a good loyal fanbase when it's being pre-empted at least twice a month by Gulf War coverage? >:( If I wanted to watch the news 24-7, I thought that's why we had CNN! That's the only reason the show didn't fly. For me it was just another reason to let Saddam swing! :P
I thought the arguments between Nick & Russell (especially when trying to help Alan)were often the funniest part of the show, but it was touching when Cindy tried turning to Olivia or Elizabeth for advice. It still irritates me that we never got to see baby Max grow up. :( Your thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc
8)

I think I missed this show- I don't remember it at all  :(

Written By: whistledog on 10/27/07 at 11:00 pm

I watched Married People all the time when it was on, but it's been so long, I barely remember much about it.  It's not in reruns, and a chance of a DVD release is almost non existant :(

The one that I really miss was 'Ladies Man' starring Alfred Molina.  It got a People's Choice nomination for Best New Show, and had a full first season of 22 episodes.  Despite all this success, CBS waited a year to begin the next season, and by that time, viewers had found new shows to watch, and after only 5 Season 2 episodes, CBS pulled the plug

Over the years, CBS has axed alot of good shows for no reason.  Les Moonves (President of CBS) is a moron.  He gets rid of all the good shows, and keeps the stupid ones.  'Survivor' is in it's 15th season ::)

Written By: Doc Brown on 10/28/07 at 12:16 pm

Over the years, CBS has axed alot of good shows for no reason.  Les Moonves (President of CBS) is a moron.  He gets rid of all the good shows, and keeps the stupid ones.  'Survivor' is in it's 15th season ::)

Tell me about it! "South Of Sunset", "Promised Land", "Early Edition", "Joan Of Arcadia", never got the chance they deserved, either plopped in a lousy time-slot or the constant changing of characters(Like Law & Order on speed), and now we're stuck with all these CSI-clones.
Don't get me wrong, the actual CSIs are good shows, but all these others copying the formula(Cold Case, Without A Trace, Criminal Minds). Where has originality gone on CBS these days?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: whistledog on 10/28/07 at 10:38 pm

Tell me about it! "South Of Sunset", "Promised Land", "Early Edition", "Joan Of Arcadia", never got the chance they deserved, either plopped in a lousy time-slot or the constant changing of characters(Like Law & Order on speed), and now we're stuck with all these CSI-clones.
Don't get me wrong, the actual CSIs are good shows, but all these others copying the formula(Cold Case, Without A Trace, Criminal Minds). Where has originality gone on CBS these days?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

In the case of 'Early Edition', it was still popular and would have ran longer than 4 seasons, but apparently the writers were running out of storylines, so the show said it's farewell.  I was really shocked when 'Joan of Arcadia' got the axe.  It was a popular show

The best example of a CBS show was 'LA Doctors'.  It WON the People's Chopice Award for favourite new dramatic series, and also got a TV Guide Award nomination for favourite new series.  Curiously after just 1 full season, CBS cancelled it.  I never understood that, I still don't, and I probably never will.  Obviously if a show is successful, then the only logical choice is to cancel it ::)

Written By: snozberries on 10/29/07 at 4:29 pm

In the case of 'Early Edition', it was still popular and would have ran longer than 4 seasons, but apparently the writers were running out of storylines, so the show said it's farewell.  I was really shocked when 'Joan of Arcadia' got the axe.  It was a popular show

The best example of a CBS show was 'LA Doctors'.  It WON the People's Chopice Award for favourite new dramatic series, and also got a TV Guide Award nomination for favourite new series.  Curiously after just 1 full season, CBS cancelled it.  I never understood that, I still don't, and I probably never will.  Obviously if a show is successful, then the only logical choice is to cancel it ::)

I wasn't a member of the board (or if I was I wasn't an active member yet) when Joan of Arcadia was cancelled. I complained as much about it as I do Veronica Mars now...

Other critically acclaimed shows that got the boot...
My So-Called Life won the TV Critics award, Claire Danes won a Golden Globe & was nominated for an emmy, Emmy nods for writng & directing too Freaks & Geeks was nominated for the TV Critics award- and nominated for two emmys for writing, it won an emmy for casting

Both shows cancelled after one season.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/13/08 at 8:30 pm

What about Roar with Heath Ledger? It was on for a very short season in 1997.

Written By: snozberries on 02/14/08 at 10:40 pm

What about Roar with Heath Ledger? It was on for a very short season in 1997.

I thought that was a mini-series not a TV series.

Written By: Spirit of 76 on 03/09/08 at 11:38 pm

What about a short lived show in the later 90's called "the Straight Dope" on A&E? Basically it was a TV version of the website\books where I learned about spy broadcast on sideband and how Jello is really made. That was one of those shows I looked forward to each week.

Written By: snozberries on 03/10/08 at 6:19 pm

What about a short lived show in the later 90's called "the Straight Dope" on A&E? Basically it was a TV version of the website\books where I learned about spy broadcast on sideband and how Jello is really made. That was one of those shows I looked forward to each week.

well there's one show I don't remember...hey I can't watch everything  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...