inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Deborah Gibson (Unknown) Hits of the 1990's and one from early 2000s

Written By: woops on 10/29/07 at 7:30 pm

In the 1990's, Deb became a successful stage actress who appeared on "Les Miserables", "Grease", "Beauty & The Beast" and "Gypsy".
She also released albums despite the ever change of musical trends. Her ballads could easily top the A/C charts if radio/VH1 & MTV were to give her a chance.
http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/calendar/1994/cal94p3.gif
"Anything Is Possible" is one of the best pop  songs of 1990, but overshadowed by other songbirds like Paula Abdul, a newcomer named Mariah Carey and garbage like Technotronic, Nelson, and Vanilla Ice... (Though I don't mind MC Hammer & Warrant...then again I was more into "Tiny Toon Adventures" at the time)

Here's a bio on Deb

http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/concert/c8591g.gif
From "Anything Is Possible" (1990)

"Anything Is Possible"

"This So Called Miracle"

"One Hand, One Heart"

From "Body Mind Soul" (1993)
"Losin' Myself"

"Shock Your Mama"
(IMO, her worst song)

From "Think With Your Heart" (1995)

"For Better Or Worse"

"Didn't Have The Heart"

From "Deborah" (1997)

"Only Words"

from "MYOB" (2001)

"What You Want"

Bonus:

"You're The One That I Want" from "Grease" (1993), which Deb played Sandy in the UK production of "Grease"

http://www.deb.org/ftp/pictures/calendar/1997/cal9703.jpg

Subject: Re: Deborah Gibson (Unknown) Hits of the 1990's and one from early 2000s

Written By: whistledog on 10/29/07 at 7:33 pm

I actually only know what 'Anything is Possible' sounds like, even though I have a bunch of her albums of the 90s :-[

I bought her 1997 album 'Deborah' because it was produced by Richard Drummie of Go West, and I thought if he was behind it, then it can't be all that bad.  I've never listened to the CD yet lol

Subject: Re: Deborah Gibson (Unknown) Hits of the 1990's and one from early 2000s

Written By: coqueta83 on 10/29/07 at 7:37 pm

I'm only familiar with "Anything is Possible". I thought it was a pretty good song. The video was OK.

Written By: woops on 10/29/07 at 7:41 pm

She's a great artist.

Yeah she was a teen idol. Stevie Wonder and Michael Jackson were also teen singers and The Beatles, Elvis Presley, and even that media hog Madonna were pegged with the term "teen idol"
Want real manufactured pop garbage: click the tv channel to Disney  or listen to Milli Vanilli, Spice Girls, Partridge Family, Osmonds, Britney Spears, etc. 8-P

I find her voice very appealing and could top the likes of the 'over the top' Celine Dion when it comes to ballads. Not to mention she could sound soothing, emotional, fun, and sensual.

BTW, The  song links are posted.

Written By: leopren on 10/29/07 at 7:58 pm

"anithing is possible" is my favorite albumof Deb. the ballads of that album are really great.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/30/07 at 9:27 pm

The Spice Girls weren't that bad. How is "Deborah" Gibson SOOOO superior?  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 11/07/07 at 2:25 pm

are you EVER going to give up on this woman??? she's a nobody! i'm sorry but it's just irritating.  he's always bashing Madonna.  Madonna has talent.  She's still around for a reason.  Her star may be fading, but at least she's not the black hole that is "Deborah" Gibson.

Written By: Midas on 11/07/07 at 7:28 pm

"Anything Is Possible" is one of the best pop  songs of 1990, but overshadowed by other songbirds like Paula Abdul, a newcomer named Mariah Carey and garbage like Technotronic, Nelson, and Vanilla Ice...

Woops!  You know the saying, "One person's trash..."  The same could be said for Deborah.  I'd take Technotronic over her on the whole any day.  And although "Anything Is Possible" is a good song, you may be in the minority of those that think it compares to Carey's "Vision Of Love" (btw I can't stand Mariah now but she has a great voice).

are you EVER going to give up on this woman???

Don't bet on it.

Written By: whistledog on 11/07/07 at 10:50 pm

click the tv channel to Disney

You can't compare Disney artists to singers like Madonna.  That's like saying The Wiggles are the new Metallica ;D

Btw, I am curious why you always mention Disney artists like Hannah Montanna, et al.  That's like music for 10 year olds and you are in your mid-20s

Written By: woops on 11/07/07 at 11:13 pm

Disney Channel is filled with manufactured pop acts that have no talent despite of their demographic.

And they're marketed as teen idols like "High School Musical Polka" is the new "Saved by the Bell" and Hannah Barbarian is the new David Cassidy (who also played a  pop act on some dumb sitcom).

Check for new replies or respond here...