inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/11/07 at 2:26 pm

http://www.impawards.com/1991/posters/dont_tell_mom_the_babysitters_dead.jpg

Does anyone else love this movie? I watch it all the time during the summer. I made it a tradition to watch it during summer time when I re-discovered it during one of the best summers of my life in 2004. My brother says I used to watch it alot when I was very young. Like a toddler, apprently. My sister says that she used to rent it almost every weekend in the early 90's, along with Teen Witch, and that she wanted to have hair like Christina Applegate. I also love Christina Applegates hair in this movie.

Her charecter in this movie is one of my heroes  :).

Subject: Re: Don't Tell Mom The Babysitters Dead

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/11/07 at 4:53 pm

Yeah, that was a good one, although I haven't watched it in a long time. I love those type of fun, "mischeviously innocent" adventure movies, where you wonder how long they can get away with something for, before they get caught. It really screams Nintendo era all around. :)

Before I even saw it, the one thing that stood out to me was Kenny (the wilder, party animal teenage son - sort of a stereotypical '80s rocker meets a '90s slacker type) and his friends going on the roof and shooting plates, saying "The dishes are done, man!" I remember it was stuff like that when I was around 9 or 10 that used to freak me out about teens sometimes lol.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/11/07 at 7:25 pm

This movie was a lot of fun! To think those kids could've spent their entire summer with the baby-sitter from hell...LOL! Christina Applegate was terrific in this movie.

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/11/07 at 7:36 pm

^ True lol. The only bad thing about the mean old woman dying on the spot was that no one saw through her act. I wished the mom could've busted her or something. I agree though, I liked everyone in the movie and thought all the characters were fairly likable. She did a really good job of pulling everything off (she's cute too, lol).

Written By: whistledog on 11/11/07 at 10:08 pm

This was the kind of movie that's just so stupid it's funny.  I quite enjoyed it.  This movie was also the last time in a movie I can recall seeing actor Keith Coogan, whom I still best remember as Brad Anderson in the classic 80s flick 'Adventures in Babysitting'

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/11/07 at 10:09 pm

This was the kind of movie that's just so stupid it's funny.  I quite enjoyed it.  This movie was also the last time in a movie I can recall seeing actor Keith Coogan, whom I still best remember as Brad Anderson in the classic 80s flick 'Adventures in Babysitting'

oh, I loved him in that movie..he was such a cutie!

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/07 at 12:21 am

I love this movie! I watch it all the time too... a few months ago it played about every other day on one of the movie channels so I saw it like 6 or 7 times recently...plus I have the DVD!

I really love when they steal petty cash from Sue Ellen's purse and buy the "state of the art entertainment center" man that thing is soooo not not state of the art!!!

I wasn't a big Christina Applegate dfan b4 this but once I saw this film- and she broke out the Kelly Bundy role- I really liked her. I liked her in Jesse and currently watch Samantha Now because of her (and Jean Smart, Jennifer Espisito & Melissa McCarthy).

Adventures in Babysitting is also another one of those films I should be embarrassed to admit I watch over and over (I have a BA in Film Theory) but I really just love movies that don't mask what they are. They know they are cheesy and they don't care because its all about entertaining not being hi  brow!

Written By: star500 on 11/12/07 at 11:29 am

OMG....I have both this movie and Adventures in Babysitting on DVD and they are both two of my favorite movies! I first saw this movie when I was about 6 or 7 years old. This movie was really funny. I really liked the guy who played Kenny in the movie. I also like Danielle Harris in the movie. I love the part when the babysitter says, "little girls should act like little girls....sugar and spice!" and she leaves the room, Danielle gives her the middle finger and slams her door. LOL. It was a really good movie. I remember there was a scene where Sue Ellen was taking a bath and her brother and his stupid friend were playing music loudly and she got mad and came out and yelled at them and then her brother says, "the music is down, cavelady." I also like the part when they are using the dishes like clay pigeons and he is like, the dishes are DONE. Hehehehe. There is a lot of funny scenes in that movie like that. I also liked Bryan (Josh Charles) I thought he was so cute when I was little.

The guy who played Kenny (Keith Coogan) has changed so much, he looks so different now. Also, I don't know if a lot of you know this but the guy who played Zach (Christopher Pettit) died in 2000. He died of an accidental drug overdose. I found a picture Keith Coogan, the way he looks now and I am going to include it with this post.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/12/07 at 11:31 am

OMG....I have both this movie and Adventures in Babysitting on DVD and they are both two of my favorite movies! I first saw this movie when I was about 6 or 7 years old. This movie was really funny. I really liked the guy who played Kenny in the movie. I also like Danielle Harris in the movie. I love the part when the babysitter says, "little girls should act like little girls....sugar and spice!" and she leaves the room, Danielle gives her the middle finger and slams her door. LOL. It was a really good movie. I remember there was a scene where Sue Ellen was taking a bath and her brother and his stupid friend were playing music loudly and she got mad and came out and yelled at them and then her brother says, "the music is down, cavelady." I also like the part when they are using the dishes like clay pigeons and he is like, the dishes are DONE. Hehehehe. There is a lot of funny scenes in that movie like that. I also liked Bryan (Josh Charles) I thought he was so cute when I was little.

The guy who played Kenny (Keith Coogan) has changed so much, he looks so different now. Also, I don't know if a lot of you know this but the guy who played Zach (Christopher Pettit) died in 2000. He died of an accidental drug overdose. I found a picture Keith Coogan, the way he looks now and I am going to include it with this post.

I think he looks pretty much the same...except a LOT older. :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/07 at 12:48 pm

He guest starred on Joan of Arcadia and he looked like that young red head from the 70s Mason something... he actually looked more like what an age progression photo fo this kid as an adult would look like... it was weird.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/07 at 12:55 pm

He guest starred on Joan of Arcadia and he looked like that young red head from the 70s Mason something... he actually looked more like what an age progression photo fo this kid as an adult would look like... it was weird.

The name I was reaching for is mason reese....

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/12/07 at 1:15 pm

Keith looks kinda different but not too much older. He looked like a teenage rocker/slacker in that movie (I guess Kenny was born in like 1974, since he was about 17 probably and would be 33ish now) and now seems much more clean cut. I never would've guessed him to have played someone like that just sixteen years ago.

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/07 at 1:49 pm

Keith looks kinda different but not too much older. He looked like a teenage rocker/slacker in that movie (I guess Kenny was born in like 1974, since he was about 17 probably and would be 33ish now) and now seems much more clean cut. I never would've guessed him to have played someone like that just sixteen years ago.

Think about how clean cut he was in Adv. in Babysitting... I never would have seen him in the rocker/slacker role...

Written By: snozberries on 11/12/07 at 1:56 pm

Remember what a dweeb he played in Hiding Out?  Wanting to be cool but trying way to hard to get there...

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/12/07 at 2:16 pm

I know huh? ;D When I found out it was the same guy I was like my god that's Brad 4 years later! Actually Keith today seems like an older version of the more nice, clean cut Brad. He must've been doing a fairly good acting job to pull off the more bad boy rocker/stoner Kenny.

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/12/07 at 7:24 pm

I'm sorry to hear about Christopher Pettit.....I wasn't aware that he died.  :(

Keith Coogan was really cute in this movie....I actually liked his rocker/slacker look! And I agree, Danielle giving the baby-sitter the finger was hilarious!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 11/13/07 at 1:07 am

This soooo off topic but when I watched the commentary on the first Dirty Dancing DVD it seemed like most of the commentary was spent talking about who was dead... Robbie the Waiter, Max Kellerman, The Schumachers (well they were old) Jerry Orbach was still alive then.

Okay back on the topic of Keith Coogan how did this board get to be mostly about him... anyway- he was in Toy Soldiers (I love. loVE, LOVE! That flick!!!!!!)  anyway the kid who played Yogurt Shawn Phelan is dead too.... maybe I should start a new topic people you're shocked to learn died... gotta go.. 

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/13/07 at 1:08 am

This soooo off topic but when I watched the commentary on the first Dirty Dancing DVD it seemed like most of the commentary was spent talking about who was dead... Robbie the Waiter, Max Kellerman, The Schumachers (well they were old) Jerry Orbach was still alive then.

Okay back on the topic of Keith Coogan how did this board get to be mostly about him... anyway- he was in Toy Soldiers (I love. loVE, LOVE! That flick!!!!!!)  anyway the kid who played Yogurt Shawn Phelan is dead too.... maybe I should start a new topic people you're shocked to learn died... gotta go.. 

yes...please do. :)

Written By: woops on 11/15/07 at 3:59 am

Liked the movie back in the day  (OK saw it on tv in the mid '90's):D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 5:10 pm

I remember renting this not too long after it was at the theatres in 1991. I was excited to see it because I was very involved with "Married... with children" at the time. It was one of my favorite shows. I probably have not seen the movie in more than 10 years. But, I thought about purchasing it recently because usually you can find a good deal on these kinds of movies. I own "Adventures in Babysitting." That was a movie we used to watch a lot as kids :0)

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/07 at 5:13 pm

its on one of the movie channels now. . .  I was gonna watch it again but the 48 hours on WE was too compelling to turn off...

Check for new replies or respond here...