inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Perfect Gentlemen

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 11:38 pm

http://img520.imageshack.us/img520/2183/1404perfectgentpgff9.jpg

Perfect Gentlemen was an American trio of teen R&B vocalists formed under the direction of Maurice Starr, who discovered New Edition and New Kids on the Block.

Starr put the group together in Boston in 1988, and had them tour the U.S opening for the New Kids.  An album and a video followed, and the group scored a hit single with 1990's "Ooh La La (I Can't Get Over You)", which peaked at #10 on the Billboard Hot 100 and #12 on the R&B/Hip Hop charts. After their second album failed to chart in 1993, however, the group was never heard from again.

MEMBERS:
Corey Blakely
Maurice Starr Jr.
Tyrone Sutton

Discography
Rated PG (Columbia Records, 1990) U.S. Billboard Top 200 peak #72, U.S. R&B peak #39
The Perfect Gentlemen (Warner Bros. Records, 1993)

VIDEOS

One More Chance (this was my favorite song of theirs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn9SMuaMQPs

Don't Forget To Call
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS2FxEtV0MA&feature=related

And..I couldn't find a video to "Ooh La La"...one of their other popular songs.

Subject: Re: Perfect Gentlemen

Written By: coqueta83 on 11/15/07 at 11:46 pm

I only remember "Ooh La La (I Can't Get Over You)". I think I was just starting 7th grade when that song came out. I wonder what the members of that group are doing now?

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/15/07 at 11:49 pm

Yeah, "One More Chance" is a cute New Kids-y song. I'd actually never heard it before, but I think it's really cool when that can still happen! I love Eighties music, so it's getting harder to find stuff from that era which I haven't heard, so even moreso because of that, this reminds me of you. :)

I'm sure the other song had a video (pretty much every 1983+ hit single had one), maybe it's one of those that YouTube pulled for copyright claims - I hate when that happens, lol.

P.S. In 1989 I guess I was too into general pop stuff like "Everlasting Love", "U Can't Touch This" "The End of the Innocence" and "Second Chance" to notice. :-[

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/15/07 at 11:56 pm

I only remember "Ooh La La (I Can't Get Over You)". I think I was just starting 7th grade when that song came out. I wonder what the members of that group are doing now?

I often wonder that about them too..as well as other group's members.

Yeah, "One More Chance" is a cute New Kids-y song. I'd actually never heard it before, but I think it's really cool when that can still happen! I love Eighties music, so it's getting harder to find stuff from that era which I haven't heard, so even moreso because of that, this reminds me of you. :)

I'm sure the other song had a video (pretty much every 1983+ hit single had one), maybe it's one of those that YouTube pulled for copyright claims - I hate when that happens, lol.

P.S. In 1989 I guess I was too into general pop stuff like "Everlasting Love", "U Can't Touch This" "The End of the Innocence" and "Second Chance" to notice. :-[

Ya, I would have liked to have found that video..it was really their most popular song.

Written By: whistledog on 11/16/07 at 12:01 am

I remember Perfect Gentlemen.  According to my charts, 'Oh La La' was the only one to chart in Canada which makes sense as that's the only one that I remember lol

We had a similar group in Canada called TBTBT.  It seemed like in the 90s, those kinds of groups were all the rage.  You don't see many anymore.  Most of the under 16 singers today are all solo acts

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 11/16/07 at 12:08 am

I remember Perfect Gentlemen.  According to my charts, 'Oh La La' was the only one to chart in Canada which makes sense as that's the only one that I remember lol

We had a similar group in Canada called TBTBT.  It seemed like in the 90s, those kinds of groups were all the rage.  You don't see many anymore.  Most of the under 16 singers today are all solo acts

ya, there were TONS of those groups, huh?

Written By: snozberries on 11/17/07 at 12:55 am

I ish you had found Oh La La cuz I do not remember this group.. maybe I know that song.

They're alright but have to agree with the comments on youtube  I like The Boys a lot better.

Dial My Heart- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3-cMHngqg
Crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDH8z3Hh0-c&feature=related

But looking at Perfect Gentlemen... thank God the Gumby cut is a thing of the past...here's hoping it never makes a comeback  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/07 at 12:58 am

^ I remember The Boys.  That song 'Dial My Heart' was a catchy little number, but it's corny song title still makes me chuckle ;D

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/20/07 at 5:17 pm

I like "Ooh La La" but that's about it.  I didn't like Perfect Gentlemen like that.  I liked the The Boys better.  I mean, The Boys were WAAAAAY more talented than Perfect Gentlemen, and that's real talk.  They can't hold a candle to The Boys when it comes to singing and dancing.  Perfect Gentlemen are one hit wonders, and they are nowhere to be found.  Even though The Boys haven't been on the Billboard charts for 15 years, there are still making music as The Suns Of Light.  They are now an indie group, so they are still in the music scene whereas Perfect Gentlemen are not.  If I have to choose between Perfect Gentlemen and The Boys,  The Boys win hands down!!!!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 11/20/07 at 5:42 pm

I like "Ooh La La" but that's about it.  I didn't like Perfect Gentlemen like that.  I liked the The Boys better.  I mean, The Boys were WAAAAAY more talented than Perfect Gentlemen, and that's real talk.  They can't hold a candle to The Boys when it comes to singing and dancing.  Perfect Gentlemen are one hit wonders, and they are nowhere to be found.  Even though The Boys haven't been on the Billboard charts for 15 years, there are still making music as The Suns Of Light.  They are now an indie group, so they are still in the music scene whereas Perfect Gentlemen are not.  If I have to choose between Perfect Gentlemen and The Boys,  The Boys win hands down!!!!!!!!

Karma to you for being new to the board and having the good sense to appreciate The Boys.. Welcome!  :)

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 6:44 pm

I ish you had found Oh La La cuz I do not remember this group.. maybe I know that song.

They're alright but have to agree with the comments on youtube  I like The Boys a lot better.

Dial My Heart- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mE3-cMHngqg
Crazy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDH8z3Hh0-c&feature=related

But looking at Perfect Gentlemen... thank God the Gumby cut is a thing of the past...here's hoping it never makes a comeback  ;D

Yeah, Gumby haircut sucked back then. 8-P

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 11/21/07 at 6:46 pm

Karma to you for being new to the board and having the good sense to appreciate The Boys.. Welcome!  :)
  Thank you for the Karma.

Written By: snozberries on 11/21/07 at 8:04 pm

Thank you for the Karma.

YW only 49 posts to go till you can reward the favor...

Check for new replies or respond here...