inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sophie B. Hawkins

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/16/07 at 5:56 pm

Shame she's such a hasbeen because "As I Lay Me Down" is so cute! :)  :D

Subject: Re: Sophie B. Hawkins

Written By: Marty McFly on 11/16/07 at 10:54 pm

^ I actually think of that as one of the ultimate breezy ballads of the '90s. "D*mn I Wish I Was Your Lover" was a hit too (I remember the video on VH1, and it was edgier in comparison), but it never quite caught on the same way.

Written By: Jeff85 on 11/17/07 at 1:35 pm

Oh Man, "As I Lay Me Down" was played to death on the Radio back in Late 1995. I loved it though, such a great melody.  Man, that song brings back such great memories.

And "Damn! I Wish I Was Your Lover" was a Great Pop Song, very unique sounding at the time (Mid 1992)

Between the two however, I prefer "As I Lay Me Down", because I remember it alot more and the memories that are attached to it from my childhood.

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 11/17/07 at 7:26 pm

i remember hearing that song in Walgreens back in the 90's.

Written By: whistledog on 11/17/07 at 10:49 pm

I used to get so sick of hearing "Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover" as it was so overplayed.  For me, it was more like "Damn, I Wish That Song Was Over" ;D

Written By: Zeb on 11/19/07 at 10:31 am

Between the two however, I prefer "As I Lay Me Down", because I remember it alot more and the memories that are attached to it from my childhood.

Same here.  She looks so sweet in that video :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 4:16 pm

I really liked "As I Lay Me Down to Sleep" when I first heard it, but then I got a bit tired of it after the soft rock stations played it a lot. I think if I heard it now, I wouldn't mind it too much as it has been awhile since I have listened to it now.

I thought "Damn, I wish I was your Lover" was cool at first, but now it's really not within my tastes.

Written By: nally on 11/20/07 at 6:32 pm

She had two big hits in the U.S.: "Damn I Wish This Song Was Over" ;D and "As I Lay Me Down." Personally, I like the latter better.

"As I Lay Me Down", as I recall, was a big hit in 1995. For the past 12 years, however, I have not been exactly sure of that phrase uttered in the background every few measures. It sounds so much like "Who loves tacos?" ,but that wouldn't be right, since the song has nothing to do with food. :D

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 6:38 pm

She had two big hits in the U.S.: "Damn I Wish This Song Was Over" ;D and "As I Lay Me Down." Personally, I like the latter better.

"As I Lay Me Down", as I recall, was a big hit in 1995. For the past 12 years, however, I have not been exactly sure of that phrase uttered in the background every few measures. It sounds so much like "Who loves tacos?" ,but that wouldn't be right, since the song has nothing to do with food. :D

;D

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

Written By: nally on 11/20/07 at 6:39 pm

;D

An Error Has Occurred!
Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours. 

That's right, you gave me my 1,400th karmel earlier today! ;)

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 6:40 pm

I really liked "As I Lay Me Down to Sleep" when I first heard it, but then I got a bit tired of it after the soft rock stations played it a lot. I think if I heard it now, I wouldn't mind it too much as it has been awhile since I have listened to it now.

I thought "Damn, I wish I was your Lover" was cool at first, but now it's really not within my tastes.

I didn't like it at first but I listened to it more closely and it's really a very intelligent song. It's about her wanting to be a woman's lover too.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 11/20/07 at 6:50 pm

I didn't like it at first but I listened to it more closely and it's really a very intelligent song. It's about her wanting to be a woman's lover too.

Yeah, she seems to be a good lyricist, but I guess it's the tune that I am not too fond of. I tend to like Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window" a little more (as they were two of the rocker ladies of that same time period), as the melody is a bit better (but again, these are my ears - so everyone has a different view  ;) )

Written By: EyesWideAsleep on 11/20/07 at 6:52 pm

Yeah, she seems to be a good lyricist, but I guess it's the tune that I am not too fond of. I tend to like Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window" a little more (as they were two of the rocker ladies of that same time period), as the melody is a bit better (but again, these are my ears - so everyone has a different view  ;) )

Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover has that 80s influence too that As I Lay Me Down doesn't. It's kind of synthy.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/20/07 at 9:53 pm

"As I Lay Me Down" almost sounds like an Amy Grant song. I'm surprised she hasn't covered it.

Check for new replies or respond here...