inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Network Made for TV Movies

Written By: Zeb on 11/18/07 at 7:25 pm

Back in the 90s network TV (NBC, CBS, and ABC) would air these movies once a week in the prime time line up.  The topics of these films would typically be teen issues like drunken driving, sex/rape, or abusive relationships.  During “sweeps week” the networks would make an epic movie based on some fairy tale or historical event.  I was wondering why the networks don’t make them anymore. 

Subject: Re: Network Made for TV Movies

Written By: snozberries on 11/19/07 at 8:25 am

Back in the 90s network TV (NBC, CBS, and ABC) would air these movies once a week in the prime time line up.  The topics of these films would typically be teen issues like drunken driving, sex/rape, or abusive relationships.  During “sweeps week” the networks would make an epic movie based on some fairy tale or historical event.  I was wondering why the networks don’t make them anymore. 

actually the MOW really started to gain popularity in the 70s.

Although they still make movies for TV- CBS does this more than the other networks- the networks are facing bigger competition than they used to...

Thanks to Lifetime, anyone can turn on their tv almost anytime of day and be treated to one of these gems.  Lifetime also produces their own movies. They air a couple of new films a month.

TNT seems to have taken over making the epic mini-series. They have been quite successful at it with multiple emmy nods.

ABCs last attempts have failed. They had that 10.5 and its sequel starring Kim Delany. These were disaster flicks that featured sub-par plots and special effects.  Also they have taken what should have been a mini series- Like the Steven King stuff they've aired over the last few years and instead of showing it in a few 2 hour installments they split it in to an hour each and market it like TV show.

Written By: nally on 11/24/07 at 12:06 am

Back in the 90s network TV (NBC, CBS, and ABC) would air these movies once a week in the prime time line up.  The topics of these films would typically be teen issues like drunken driving, sex/rape, or abusive relationships.

A notable example of a made-for-tv movie during this time would be No One Would Tell, which I think aired on NBC in '96.

Written By: snozberries on 11/24/07 at 2:38 am

I watched The Truth About Jane today on Lifetime Movie Network (LMN)  It technically it aired in 2000 but it must have shot in 99 so I can talk about it right?

It starred Ellen Muth (Dead Like Me)  and Stockard Channing. Ellen played Jane a teen who learned she's a lesbian at the age of 16. Stockard was te mother coming to term with this info.. It was done pretty well, RuPaul had a part as Stockard's gay friend. Guess they needed one so the teen had someone to turn to...

the only thing that bothered me about this film was that it started with narration... Jane as an infant, Jane 1 year later at her first birthday, Jane 4 years later her first day of school, Jane another 4 years later sick in bed, Jane 7 years later on her first day of high school....

now granted I'm no math wiz but doesn't this make Jane 16years old? In fact they make reference to the fact that her 16th B-day is coming up.... how many people start their first day of high school at 15?  I understand 14 or even having just turned 15...... but she is 15 about to turn 16....that seems a little late to me...

Check for new replies or respond here...