inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Cartoon Network

Written By: woops on 11/23/07 at 9:54 pm

Since there's been threads about Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, why not Cartoon Network, which started in 1992

I watched it in the mid 1990's, when it was mostly Looney Tunes, badly colorized B&W Popeye cartoons, MGM, and Hanna Barbera. Also original programs by around 1995/1996 with "Dexter's Lab" and the overrated "Power Puff Girls".

Now, mostly Adult Swim (started around 2001), though the only good shows are early "Family Guy", "Boondocks", and some episodes of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force".

Subject: Re: Cartoon Network

Written By: snozberries on 11/23/07 at 10:01 pm

Since there's been threads about Disney Channel and Nickelodeon, why not Cartoon Network, which started in 1992

I watched it in the mid 1990's, when it was mostly Looney Tunes, badly colorized B&W Popeye cartoons, MGM, and Hanna Barbera. Also original programs by around 1995/1996 with "Dexter's Lab" and the overrated "Power Puff Girls".

Now, mostly Adult Swim (started around 2001), though the only good shows are early "Family Guy", "Boondocks", and some episodes of "Aqua Teen Hunger Force".

I was a little disappointed with it... I hoped it would have more of a variety of cartoons but like you said it was mostly Hanna Barbera and the Warner Bros stuff...  even now I like the Boomerang block they do early in the mornings because those are the toons from the 70s I grew up on but most of the time its the Flintstones and the Jetsons (which I like I just get tired of seeing them over and over)

Written By: Zeb on 12/04/07 at 8:40 pm

Dexter's Lab was the sheesh! I watched that with my friend who would record them on VHS.

Written By: Roadgeek on 12/04/07 at 9:13 pm

My cable provider began carrying Cartoon Network in the summer of 1994. It was good for many years up until the summer of 2004. I haven't watched it since then. :P Well, at least we've still got Boomerang. :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/07 at 10:21 pm

In Canada, we have "Teletoon" which debuted in 1997.  It shows alot of the same cartoons as Cartoon Network, as well as Canadian cartoons like 'Atomic Betty', 'Doodlez', 6Teen' and 'Gerald McBoing-Boing' (to name a few)

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/05/07 at 8:01 pm

I used to watch Cartoon Network to watch Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, and the Powerpuff Girls. These days I don't tune in at all.

Written By: Davester on 12/09/07 at 3:24 am

I used to watch Cartoon Network to watch Looney Tunes, Scooby Doo, Dexter's Laboratory, and the Powerpuff Girls. These days I don't tune in at all.

Same here, well, except for Dexter's Lab and Powerpuff...

I haven't watched Cartoon Network in almost ten years, but I remember they also used to air some old 80s toy-based cartoons like Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors and the Centurions which I never watched in the day, but got a kick out of, anyway.  The Centurions I actually made a point to watch every night when I got home from work.  Nothing like veggin' with a cartoon, a bowl of Ramen and a tall glass of milk after work...

They also showed the Smurfs and their underwater version, the Snorks.  Neat stuff.  Now it's all, what, house brand cartoons and anime..?  Bah..!  Could never get into anime...

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/09/07 at 10:35 am

i started getting Cartoon Network in the late 90's. it was completely new to me, and i didn't know till now it started in the early 90's.

i used to watch Scooby Doo (i became a big Scooby Doo fan), Gumby, Space Ghost Coast To Coast, Two Stupid Dogs, Power Puff Girls and Dexter. i came to like CNl much more than Nickelodeon.

Written By: nally on 01/01/08 at 3:33 pm

I miss the days when it had Looney Tunes :\'( :\'( And Acme Hour!

When we first got cable, in 2001, CN had some pretty good shows, especially the classic ones. They even had Animaniacs for a while in mid-2001.

Now it doesn't have any good shows at all :\'( :\'( :\'( Most of what they air nowadays is their "original" shows, which I don't much care for at all :P

Written By: HawkTheSlayer on 01/08/08 at 5:51 am

Cartoon Network is something my almost-7 yr. old is into.

Started with "Johnny Bravo", and is now "Foster's Home..." & "Camp Laslo", which are all shows I approve of.

Written By: nally on 01/08/08 at 10:49 am

Started with "Johnny Bravo", and is now "Foster's Home..." & "Camp Laslo", which are all shows I approve of.

Well, some of those were popular around the time your kid was born; I know "Johnny Bravo" was on in 2000/01.

Written By: Blackjack on 01/08/08 at 5:48 pm

The shows used to be creepier  back then. Back then we had "Jonny Bravo" sexually harassing people in front of a bunch of 7 year olds and that Cow and Chicken...was pretty hardcore.  Now we got this fag ass anime and Disney channel like cartoons and layout such as Fosters Home of Imaginary Friends.

Written By: woops on 01/11/08 at 7:02 pm

"Toon Heads" and "Bob Clampett Show"  were good  8)

Written By: nally on 01/11/08 at 7:39 pm

"Toon Heads" and "Bob Clampett Show"  were good  8)

Agreed. 8) O0 I wish they were never done away with :\'(

Written By: wildcard on 01/12/08 at 1:13 am

Love the HB cartoons.  I liked watching Johnny Bravo and I miss the guy in Two Stupid Dogs that would say  well isn't that cute BUT IT'S WRONG * FOGHORN* and theres a slight possibility I might have watched Spaceghost C2C and Cartoon Planet, but very slight ;D  Family Guy and sometimes Futurerama are about these days.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/12/08 at 5:30 pm

I miss the Saturday nights when Cartoon Cinema would run a full-length animated movie. They were the first to bring Wallace & Gromit to American TV, by running all 3 of their Oscar-winning shorts as a triple feature. B-sides taping them, I also caught two of the five Peanuts movies, which I hadn't seen in years. Such a welcome surprise to enjoy Race For Your Life, Charlie Brown and Bon Voyage, Charlie Brown once again.

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Blackjack on 01/13/08 at 8:39 pm

i started getting Cartoon Network in the late 90's. it was completely new to me, and i didn't know till now it started in the early 90's.

i used to watch Scooby Doo (i became a big Scooby Doo fan), Gumby, Space Ghost Coast To Coast, Two Stupid Dogs, Power Puff Girls and Dexter. i came to like CNl much more than Nickelodeon.

I remember 2 stupid dogs... that was a pretty good show and they shown a Secret Squirrel segment in the middle of the show... it went off the air circa 2003.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/16/08 at 10:53 am

I used to watch Cartoon Network all the time back in the '90s, and even a few years in the early '00s. All the old HB shows were great, and I liked all of the original 'Cartoon Cartoons' like Johnny Bravo, Cow And Chicken, and Dexter's Labratory. I kinda stopped watching around 2001 or so, and I was really surprised about a year ago when I watched some of the shows that are on there now. They hardly show anything they showed 6 or 7 years ago.

On a sidenote, does anybody remember the Super Bowl spoof called 'The Big Game'  that Cartoon Network did back in the late '90s where they would have two cartoon characters 'face off' against each other?

They did it every Saturday before the Super Bowl for about 4 or 5 years I think. Pat Summerall and John Madden were they announcers for all the games. Some of the match-ups I remember were Tom vs. Jerry, and Bugs vs. Daffy. I'm pretty sure Road Runner and Coyote were featured once as well.

Written By: woops on 10/24/09 at 11:57 am

Some of the Cartoon Network 'Cartoon Cartoons' are on Boomerang.

A great (and ironic) find:  8)

Cartoon Network presentation reel

source: Cartoon Brew, posted by animation historian/author Jerry Beck
Cartoon Network presentation reel (1991)
October 24, 2009 12:05 am

I was a consultant to the Cartoon Network shortly after it launched in 1992. Somehow back then I acquired a copy of this 1991 presentation video, which Ted Turner used to pitch the idea to cable operators and potential advertisers. It’s interesting to revisit this piece today — the channel’s current agenda is a far cry from its original stated goals. Also note, this was before CN created their checkerboard logo.

Cartoon Network held great potential — and still does. Perhaps posting this video will give someone the idea to revive it

The checkerboard logo wwas better. The original looked generic.

Written By: nally on 10/24/09 at 1:43 pm

Some of the Cartoon Network 'Cartoon Cartoons' are on Boomerang.

I remember seeing promo's for some of those. It is sort of a shame that CN's original shows are overrunning Boomerang now, especially since Boomerang had originally started to include some of the classic cartoon shows (which, sadly, are no longer being shown on terrestrial television, or so it seems). :-\\

Written By: MrCleveland on 10/25/09 at 2:19 pm

I started to watch CN in 2001 when I got Dish. It still had Looney Tunes and Tom and Jerry, and once in awhile, Dish would have promotions for their 150 package which included Boomerang. This would have the Hanna-Barbera Shows. But it seemed that after 2003, CN went down since Looney Tunes weren't on and in 2005, I got Boomerang for that reason!

Now...there's no Looney Tunes. :-\\

But...here's the shows that I found amusing on Cartoon Network/Boomerang....

Looney Tunes
Tom and Jerry
Pink Panther
Ruff and Reddy
Huckleberry Hound
Yogi Bear
Quick-Draw McGraw
New H-B Show
Loopy de Loop
Flinstones
Jetsons
Magilla Gorilla
Top Cat
Peter Potamus
Atom Ant
Secret Squirrel
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Family Guy
Futurama
Robot Chicken

Check for new replies or respond here...