inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "1992"

Written By: ggmelvin on 12/02/07 at 5:50 pm

Was'nt 1992 a very GAY year?
Fashion, Music, Movies, Births, everything....

Subject: Re: "1992"

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/02/07 at 6:10 pm

I think 1993 was worse! That is the year I buried my brother on his 21st birthday. As well as losing my favorite Grandma on her b-day.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/02/07 at 6:33 pm

Here's the thing. The entire "early '90s period" (which I'd say parallels Bush One's term in office, when the decades were blending together) had alot of things that were occuring at the same time. So much was changing, especially in politics and the world - like with the Cold War ending/the Soviet Union collapsing, and things like the Rodney King controversy. You had lots of different pop culture to choose from too.

Although I don't really agree with the OP, I do see what they're saying...because I've noticed alot of things from that year which tend to be remembered easiest, are the campier, sillier ones. I know lots of people associate songs like "I'm Too Sexy" with that time before anything else. They overlook some of the better music too, because it might've not been as instantly popular. In terms of television, it was sort of inbetween, because I don't remember shows like Seinfeld or Home Improvement really taking off yet, and alot of '80s shows were getting off the air, like Cosby.

What I would say about 1992 is that it seemed pretty "normal" and established, although there was still some corny things from a couple years before that hadn't yet disappeared. There were a few '80slike things hanging around here and there too (i.e. power ballads like "To Be With You"), even if it wasn't the norm by then.

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/02/07 at 9:52 pm

Fashion, Music, Movies, Births, everything....

"Births"??  ???

It's not a "Gay" year by any means, but if you want to call it a somewhat "Cheesy" year, you can (That's the term we use these days)

But actually 1990 was much much cheesier in terms of Fashion and Music, and 1991 was as well to some extent.  I think the "Cheesy" trend started to die around Late 1992 when Madonna released "Erotica" and Pop Music overall started gaining a more modern sound and no longer had 80's elements in them.

As for Movies, what movies are you referring to? 1992 had some gems such as "Unforgiven", "Reservoir Dogs", "A Few Good Men", "Scent of a Woman", "Basic Instinct", "Wayne's World", "Batman Returns", etc...

Musically, 1992 had some cheesy hits, such as "I'm Too Sexy" and "Baby Got Back", but it was also the breakout year for Grunge/Alternative Rock (Nothing cheesy or gay about that)

Actually, thinking about it, 1992 was one of the more "cool" years in recent history

I think 1993 was worse! That is the year I buried my brother on his 21st birthday. As well as losing my favorite Grandma on her b-day.

I fail to see how 1993 is more Gay just because you lost some family members....Those are your own personal issues, it doesn't reflect on the actual year itself.

Written By: whistledog on 12/02/07 at 11:00 pm

That all depends.  Was that the year YOU were born? :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/03/07 at 1:51 am

To be honest, I had a great time that year and loved everything that came out, the movies, music, and yes, even the babies,  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 2:22 am

This day (December 3rd) in 1992 - UN Security Council Resolution 794 is unanimously passed, approving a coalition of United Nations peacekeepers led by the United States to form UNITAF, tasked with establishing peace and ensuring that humanitarian aid is distributed in Somalia.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/03/07 at 8:22 am

To be honest, I had a great time that year and loved everything that came out, the movies, music, and yes, even the babies,  ;D

Somehow I think the "babies" line was thrown in as a joke. ;D

I also agree with JohnDoe's post. It was really 1990 and early '91 that was cheesy, but there were pieces of it that still held over, although it wasn't as noticeable since alternative rock (which generally was a more laid back genre with alot of lasting influence) started to really define the time.

You know, if we're talking about personal experiences and opinions, it was one of my favorite years of all. That was when I started really getting into movies. For instance Pauly Shore in Encino Man still is one of my favorites. I was also heavily into Super Nintendo games and watching videos on VH1 (and to a lesser extent, MTV). In some ways I was the perfect age too. I was a slightly older kid around 10 and 11...old enough to get an ALMOST adult level grasp on things, but still young enough to take part in kid activities without being embarrased or feeling like I needed to give it up either.

1992 was still on common enough ground with the '80s enough for someone who really liked that time to still feel at home, yet it was different and had its own identity at the same time. So it really was the best of both worlds in that respect too.

Written By: ggmelvin on 12/03/07 at 11:59 am

I was born in 1977!  ;)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 11:59 am

What happens if born in 1993 and after?

Written By: ggmelvin on 12/03/07 at 12:01 pm

Written By: ggmelvin on 12/03/07 at 12:02 pm

That you're not a 90's kid?

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/03/07 at 12:04 pm

I actually liked 1992. It was my favorite year of the early 90's, and one the years I'm most nostalgic about mainly because of good personal memories and the music that went along with it. It did have some cheesy songs that I don't like to admit that I like, like "I'm Too Sexy" or "Baby Got Back", but it also had some really good songs. That year also offered a wide variety from New Jack Swing (Boyz II Men, TLC, En Vogue, etc.) to alternative rock and ballads (Toad The West Sprocket, Mr. Big, etc.). A lot of classic movies came out that year like the ones JonDoe mentioned. I especially like Wayne's World. 1992 did have some hard times socially and economically, like the L.A. riots and high crime rate, but it was also the year Bill Clinton defeated Bush Sr. (which was good for me). It was like a "light at the end of the tunnel" year after the Early 90's recession when there was a lot of despair, pessimism, and stress during the more difficult times.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 12:06 pm

Hey in 1992 I was 9, or was it 17, I don't remimber!

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 12:07 pm

oops sorry I meant 1992 I was 8, or maybe it was 16. I can't remimber how old I am. I think I am 24!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 12:17 pm

oops sorry I meant 1992 I was 8, or maybe it was 16. I can't remimber how old I am. I think I am 24!
That is what age does to you.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 12:21 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/laughing.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 3:54 pm

That is what age does to you.
The older you get the worse it gets.

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 4:09 pm

All I am is a little confused as to how old I am. I am not sure if it is 24. My mind just does not want to process anything past that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/07 at 4:51 pm

All I am is a little confused as to how old I am. I am not sure if it is 24. My mind just does not want to process anything past that.
How many candles were there on your birthday cake at your last birthday?

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/03/07 at 6:05 pm

2, so does that mean I am only 2?

Written By: xSiouXBoIx on 12/03/07 at 6:28 pm

i don't remember 1992, but Madonna released Erotica and the SEX book, Annie Lennox came out with her Diva album, and Morrissey released Your Arsenal. i consider it to be a good year in music.

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/07 at 7:14 pm

I was a teen in 1992

Written By: nicolelittle1977 on 12/03/07 at 8:48 pm

The Martin show debuted that year.  TLC burst into the scene. Mary J. Blige, Redman, SWV, Jade, Silk, The Chronic, etc.  I was a sophmore in high school.

Written By: robby76 on 12/03/07 at 9:09 pm

It was the last of the "cheesey" feelgood years I reckon. After that it all became a little too gangsta and grungey... until Britney & N Sync arrived. Out of the frying pan into the fire???  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 12/03/07 at 9:30 pm

1992 - Tom Cochrane scored his one and only US Top 40 hit with 'Life is A Highway', which was his 3rd Hot 100 hit in the US chart.  In his native Canada, the song had already been a hit in 1991

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/03/07 at 9:51 pm

It was the last of the "cheesey" feelgood years I reckon. After that it all became a little too gangsta and grungey... until Britney & N Sync arrived. Out of the frying pan into the fire???  ;)

Not True. The "Gangsta Rap" and "Grunge" thing only lasted throughout 1993 and some of 1994.  Even during then it wasn't that prevalant. 

The period during 1995 and 1996 was the more "relaxed" and "feel good" period of the decade, with alot of Adult Contemporary music (Alanis Morissette, Seal, Madonna, Hootie & The Blowfish, Donna Lewis, Celine Dion, etc..)

1997 musically became a bit more "poppy", but the year overall was really fun and had alot of pop-culture going on. 1997 was alot like a throwback to the Mid 80's (1983-1985), in my opinion.

But back to 1992, it was one of the best years, in my opinion, for Rock music.  The Grunge scene had come alive and we even had some other great Rock hits such as "Life Is A Highway" by Tom Cochrane, "Under The Bridge" by Red Hot Chili Peppers, "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses, "Bohemian Rhapsody" by Queen (Re-Issued), "One" by U2, "Remedy" by The Black Crowes, and pretty much every song from Metallica's "Black Album" were on Rock Stations that year.

Written By: Josh on 12/04/07 at 7:02 am

"Births"??  ???

It's not a "Gay" year by any means, but if you want to call it a somewhat "Cheesy" year, you can (That's the term we use these days)

But actually 1990 was much much cheesier in terms of Fashion and Music, and 1991 was as well to some extent.  I think the "Cheesy" trend started to die around Late 1992 when Madonna released "Erotica" and Pop Music overall started gaining a more modern sound and no longer had 80's elements in them.

As for Movies, what movies are you referring to? 1992 had some gems such as "Unforgiven", "Reservoir Dogs", "A Few Good Men", "Scent of a Woman", "Basic Instinct", "Wayne's World", "Batman Returns", etc...

Musically, 1992 had some cheesy hits, such as "I'm Too Sexy" and "Baby Got Back", but it was also the breakout year for Grunge/Alternative Rock (Nothing cheesy or gay about that)

Actually, thinking about it, 1992 was one of the more "cool" years in recent history

I fail to see how 1993 is more Gay just because you lost some family members....Those are your own personal issues, it doesn't reflect on the actual year itself.

whoever posted that last quote about the persons family and how its only their problem needs to shut their mouth before i shut it for them ill kill you instead

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/07 at 7:04 am

This day in 1992 - Somali Civil War: President George H. W. Bush orders 28,000 US troops to Somalia, east Africa.

Written By: karen on 12/04/07 at 8:33 am

I suppose I ought to say 1992 is one of my favourite years.  It's the year I was married

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/07 at 8:43 am

At the moment nothing stands out to remember 1992 for.

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/07 at 11:53 am

whoever posted that last quote about the persons family and how its only their problem needs to shut their mouth before i shut it for them ill kill you instead

Harsh!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/07 at 11:54 am

Harsh!
Oh!

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/07 at 11:56 am

Oh!

The guy said he was gonna kill that person who made that post.  I knew 1992 was a killer year, but this is ridiculous :D

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/04/07 at 12:48 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: JohnDoe on 02 December 2007, 22:52:18
"Births"?? 

As far as ^ goes, I understand that. People usually remember a year because something happened that was memorable for them. My memory of 1993 was losing a couple of very dear family members. It does not reflect on how other people remember the same year. I was simply stating for me 1993 was not a very good year. Which is solely my opinion.

As far as ^ goes I appreciate the sentiment, but this is a little bit of an over reaction. Each individual is entitled to their opinion. Words really are just a grouping of letters and carry no real meaning. The emotion behind the words is what offers a meaning. I have seen quite a few years go by in my life and have some that are fond like 2001 and some that are not so fond. It is merely from my own experience. I am sure we all have periods of time like this. These boards are designed to interact with other people and to state your opinions, it is not meant to threaten others. Just to be used to gain knowledge and have fun.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/04/07 at 2:59 pm

Just to help clear things up....I think what JohnDoe meant was that personal tragedies don't have any bearing on the pop culture of 1993, although he worded it in a very disrespectful, callous way. Although the person threatening to kill him over it, is an equal overreaction the other way.

Like I said in my other two posts towards the beginning, I loved '92 to death, both personally and pop culturally as being innovative and fresh, although as something of a last gasp for the '80s at the same time.

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/04/07 at 5:14 pm

You want my name and info so you can find me?

My name is John Doe.  I live on Main Street. My Phone Number is 555-5555.

Come and kill me, tough guy...  ;)

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/04/07 at 5:30 pm

Let's keep it friendly here guys

Written By: Zeb on 12/04/07 at 9:22 pm

Ah yes 1992.  I turned eight in December of that year.  I agree with a lot of you when you say that 1992 was when some of the 80s (music, and TV) were ending as some of the 90s things were slowly taking shape.  There are many examples of this.  Cheers was in its last season and the final episode aired in spring of 93.  The Simpsons was at its very best and Seinfeld was picking up some serious steam.  And the music!  Toad (I can not think about 1992 without “All I Want” going through my mind), the zenith of grunge (and Seattle in general), “500 Miles” by the Proclaimers, and rap was played just enough on the radio as to where you did not get sick of it.  In the Movies I remember seeing Batman Returns, My Girl, Stay Tuned (R.I.P. Ritter) and Sister Act. Its funny I can remember my parents waking me up in the middle of the night to tell me that Bill Clinton was our new president. As far as the Cold War is concerned I can remember an exchange between my teacher and a fellow classmate like it was yesterday. 
Cut to a second grade classroom in North Eastern Iowa.  The teacher is reading a story to her students.  This story is set in Russia.  My friend Troy raises his hand..
Troy: The Russians? But my dad says they are our enemy
Mrs. W: Well they were but they’ve changed now.

Written By: LimePie81 on 12/04/07 at 9:44 pm

Ah yes 1992.  I turned eight in December of that year.  I agree with a lot of you when you say that 1992 was when some of the 80s (music, and TV) were ending as some of the 90s things were slowly taking shape.  There are many examples of this.  Cheers was in its last season and the final episode aired in spring of 93.  The Simpsons was at its very best and Seinfeld was picking up some serious steam.  And the music!  Toad (I can not think about 1992 without “All I Want” going through my mind), the zenith of grunge (and Seattle in general), “500 Miles” by the Proclaimers, and rap was played just enough on the radio as to where you did not get sick of it.  In the Movies I remember seeing Batman Returns, My Girl, Stay Tuned (R.I.P. Ritter) and Sister Act. Its funny I can remember my parents waking me up in the middle of the night to tell me that Bill Clinton was our new president. As far as the Cold War is concerned I can remember an exchange between my teacher and a fellow classmate like it was yesterday. 
Cut to a second grade classroom in North Eastern Iowa.  The teacher is reading a story to her students.  This story is set in Russia.  My friend Troy raises his hand..
Troy: The Russians? But my dad says they are our enemy
Mrs. W: Well they were but they’ve changed now.

Just a little correction. "500 Miles" by The Proclaimers was actually a Top 5 Hit in the Summer of 1993

Written By: whistledog on 12/04/07 at 10:02 pm

Just a little correction. "500 Miles" by The Proclaimers was actually a Top 5 Hit in the Summer of 1993

Depends on what country though.  In the UK, it was a #11 hit in 1988 :D

Written By: gumbypiz on 12/05/07 at 12:44 am

1992, bought my first decent car, a 16V (valve) twin-cam VW Scirocco (black). Not a big deal now, but then it was exotic. Very fun and fast car. Almost went to jail for doing 130mph on a West VA highway in that car (never again!).

Had my first real relationship outside of high school (y'know the one that you really found out how hurt you could be from a relationship?), was going to get married, and promptly broke up with her and moved from DC/Balt suburbs to Columbus, OH to finish art school.

I remember mailing my absentee ballot for the election that year as I was moving to Ohio, but still a resident of Maryland (first time for me voting in a Presidential election, voted for Clinton).

Can't forget watching in amazement of the video of Rodney King getting the sh*t beat out of him by the LAPD, and then watching the riots later that summer when the cops that did it got off...
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head was blasting out of every dorm and frat house window that summer. One of the better albums released that year.

Ended up working THREE jobs at the same time that year while going to college during the day and night and not getting ANY sleep.
TGI Fridays, Gumby's Pizza (wink-wink), and Streetside Records.
Very strange year.

First time I smoked pot and actually got high (and liked it) at age 23, on a dare, while listening to The Swans, go figure.

Ate a lot of free veggie meals at the Krishna house, all the while I was reading the book "Monkey On a Stick" (about the dark side of the Hare Krishna's and Kirtanananda, READ IT), and digesting a lot of poppy seeds, bizarre.

Strange year indeed.
Not that long ago, but still so far away...

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/07 at 5:38 am

Don't remind me of 1992, John Major was re-elected British Prime Minister.

Written By: tv on 12/05/07 at 10:06 am

Lots of artists that came out that year:

Toni Braxton
Stone Temple Pilots
TLC
Arrested Development(the rap group)
SWV
The Gin Blossoms
Snoop Dog

Well known songs fromn that year or notables:

No Ordinary Love-Sade
Plush-Stone Temple Pilots
Save The Best For Last-Vanessa Williams(went to Number 1 on the Billboard Hot 100.)
Under The Bridge-Red Hot Chilli Peppers(went to Number 2 on the Billboard Hot 100.)
If I Ever Fall In Love....-Shai
Masterpiece-Atlantic Starr
I Can;t Dance, Hold On My Heart, Never A Time-Genesis
Now That We Found Love-Heavy D
Tennesee-Arrested Developmeent
Reminice Over You-Pete Rock featuring CL Smooth
Runaway Train-Soul Asylum
Cop Killer-Ice T(this song created plenty of controversy.)
I Nearly Lost You-The Screaming Trees
Would?-Alice In Chains

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/07 at 12:03 pm

Lots of artists that came out that year:

Toni Braxton
Stone Temple Pilots
TLC
Arrested Development(the rap group)
SWV
The Gin Blossoms
Snoop Dog

Came out?

Written By: tv on 12/05/07 at 12:40 pm

Came out?
Yeah they(those artists) made their debut in 1992 onto the music scene.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/05/07 at 12:42 pm

Yeah they(those artists) made their debut in 1992 onto the music scene.
Oh!

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/05/07 at 2:21 pm

How could anyone say 1992 didn't just have a ton of great memorable songs? I like the ones tv listed and alot more too.

Paula Abdul was still really popular with her Spellbound album (I think it came out in late '91, but most of the singles charted this year).

Speaking of Alice in Chains, I was just listening to their Dirt album again recently and forgot how good it was. It was kinda gloomy, and alot of the songs seem to be about drug abuse or the darker side of life...but it's some great hard rock music. There's also some more melodic songs like "Down in a Hole" on there.

Written By: Midas on 12/05/07 at 7:34 pm

I rest my case, and i'm done ranting on you "haters"...for now

Awww, but we want more...please?  :D

I personally dig 1992 in terms of music...from grunge to cheese to techno, great tunes came from that year.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/05/07 at 8:06 pm

Songs like "Free Your Mind" by En Vogue, "I Love Your Smile" by Shanice, "November Rain" by Guns N' Roses, "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam, and "Just Another Day" by Jon Secada brings back great memories of 1992 for me.  :)

Written By: ladyhawk on 12/05/07 at 8:24 pm

Hey November Rain in my opinion is one of the best songs ever written.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/06/07 at 12:02 am

Hey November Rain in my opinion is one of the best songs ever written.

Agreed!  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/07 at 2:12 am

The final Number One in the UK Charts for the year 1992 was Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You, does that sum up the year? 

Written By: tv on 12/06/07 at 8:35 am

Because this board is full of Snobs born in the 70's who hate anything after 1986.  I'm the only person here who will agree with you on everything you say, because I have an open mind and i'm not a snob.  Also because we are around the same age and grew up around the same time and can appreciate our childhood.

Also, Rap music was not BIG on pop radio during the 90's, so get that out of your heads as well (This is usually what those 60's and 70's lovers use as their weapon against hating the 90's).  Rap music has been played on Pop Radio THIS decade (The 2000's) atleast 90% more than it ever was in the 90's

More statistics for you. The highest ranking any Rap song got during any year of the 90's, was "Gettin' Jiggy With It" by Will Smith, which was #28 in pop radio airplay in 1998.  The second most after that was "Crossroads" by Bone Thugs N Harmony which was #75 in pop radio airplay in 1996

Even Puff Daddy in 1997 couldn't get higher than any of those two ("I'll Be Missing You" ranked in at #51 for 1997, but I hardly even consider that song "Rap", especially in today's society where Rappers are rapping about Hoes and Skanks)

Notice how the 2 of the 3 biggest rap acts on pop radio that year were Will Smith and Puff Daddy? The two who are notorious for being CLEAN with their lyrics? And then Bone Thugs, who aren't clean, but "Crossroads" (Which actually is a Clean rap song) is one of the more respected and loved rap songs of all time by everyone (Even non-rap fans)

I rest my case, and i'm done ranting on you "haters"...for now
First off I was born in the 70;'s(well 1979 to be exact and I do like the 90's.)

As far as Puff Daddy's "I'll Be Missing You" it isn;t a total 100% rap song to me because they were vocals on that song by R&B acts like Faith Evans and 112 on that song.

Second off all Rap was more R&B influenced from 1997-2002 rather than the dance/club influenced of 50 Cent or the crunk stuff of Lil John that came out with in 2003 and 2004 respectively.

I actually do think that rap started to get play alot more on Pop radio in 2003 or 2004 because of 50 Cent and the advent of crunk. I mean rappers were getting airplay from 2000-2002 but raps popularity was no where near it was when 50 Cent was popular from 2003-2005.

Written By: whistledog on 12/06/07 at 10:57 pm

I was listening to a 1992 song earlier for quite a while:  'Plastic' by Alanis Morissette.  Totally forgot how great it was! 8)

Written By: Zeb on 12/07/07 at 12:38 pm

Oh, " Constant Cravings" another good 1992 song. 

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 4:23 pm

The final Number One in the UK Charts for the year 1992 was Whitney Houston's I Will Always Love You, does that sum up the year? 

That was a great song to end the year off. I remember my brother bought the album, and then he didn't want it anymore and I was like, "Whoa, I'll take it!!" I remember I listened to it A LOT during that holiday season.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 4:26 pm

That was a great song to end the year off. I remember my brother bought the album, and then he didn't want it anymore and I was like, "Whoa, I'll take it!!" I remember I listened to it A LOT during that holiday season.
Of course, great should be spelt grate...

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 6:24 pm

Of course, great should be spelt grate...

Eh, really?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 6:26 pm

Eh, really?  ;D
I have never seen the film "Bodyguard" because of the song.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 6:30 pm

I have never seen the film "Bodyguard" because of the song.

I guess it grates on your nerves. I still like the song after all these years, but yes, it did get it's fair share of being over played on the radio. The movie is pretty good, actually.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 6:31 pm

I guess it grates on your nerves. I still like the song after all these years, but yes, it did get it's fair share of being over played on the radio. The movie is pretty good, actually.
I do listen to Dolly Parton's own version, it is just that one particular recording that does it for me.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 6:36 pm

Ahhh, her version is very good, too.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/17/07 at 6:39 pm

Ahhh, her version is very good, too.  :)
When DP sings her song she has a meaning behind it.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/17/07 at 7:55 pm

When DP sings her song she has a meaning behind it.

That's true. Usually the originals are always better.

Written By: karen on 12/17/07 at 10:38 pm

I think there was at least one case of someone having a noise abatement order because they played this song full volume on repeat all day.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 12:30 pm

Whenver I think of 1992 I automatically think of Madonna's "Erotica" album... so yes, I guess 1992 was a gay year because I was a little gay teenager who was fascinated by the most famous woman in all the world  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/07 at 12:36 pm

Whenver I think of 1992 I automatically think of Madonna's "Erotica" album... so yes, I guess 1992 was a gay year because I was a little gay teenager who was fascinated by the most famous woman in all the world  ;D
In the bookshops wraped in cling-film, so you could not view inside,

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/21/07 at 12:47 pm

In the bookshops wraped in cling-film, so you could not view inside,

yes, that was the "sex" book.  it was the "erotica" album and the "sex" book... a very, um... thought-provoking time for a 14 year old as i was at the time!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/07 at 1:22 pm

yes, that was the "sex" book.  it was the "erotica" album and the "sex" book... a very, um... thought-provoking time for a 14 year old as i was at the time!
I have not seen this book in any of the charity shops yet.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 12/24/07 at 7:02 pm

I dont think any of the years in the 90's were gay.  The 90's was the last real decade we had.  Everything from 2000 to now is gay.  This decade completely sucks, and its only going to get worse.  Things now aren't "cheesey" they're just completely stupid and idiotic.  People these days lack common sense for some reason.

Written By: McDonald on 12/25/07 at 8:35 pm

LMAO! Nice one.

Written By: tv on 12/26/07 at 5:17 pm

I dont think any of the years in the 90's were gay.  The 90's was the last real decade we had.  Everything from 2000 to now is gay.  This decade completely sucks, and its only going to get worse.  Things now aren't "cheesey" they're just completely stupid and idiotic.  People these days lack common sense for some reason.
Uh, the economy has been good for the whole decade(in the 00s) not like the 90's when the economy wasn;t that good or just ok(well 1999 the ecomomy was great.) I think people have had no real worries ecomomicly in this decade until now that is. Thats people why the 00's music isn't that good(or isn;t as good as the 90's) because most of the music is just very feel good and about partying or getting a Benz(aka glam rap.) Our music just reflects the time period economically.

We also didn;t have the E Channel or VH1 in the 90's following celebrities every move and American people have loved the celebrity gossip throughout the 00's but I think people are getting tired of it now with Britney Spears and Lindsay Lohan.

Written By: musicgirl on 02/13/08 at 8:18 pm

I wouldn't know, I had just turned 1 at the end of 1992.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/14/08 at 2:50 am

Wasn't that the year "I'm too sexy" by Right said Fred was released?   :D ;D Actually though that song does remind me of ny high school science classes for some reason.

I'm conservative but even I think people shouldn't use the term "Gay" to bring something down.
I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred was released in the UK in July 1991.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/08 at 2:53 am

I'm Too Sexy by Right Said Fred was released in the UK in July 1991.

And many people associate him as a one hit wonder, when he actually had other hits

Written By: robby76 on 02/14/08 at 5:47 am

And many people associate him as a one hit wonder, when he actually had other hits

True - I much preferred "Deeply Dippy" from them.

Written By: tnf on 02/17/08 at 9:54 am

Today, I've finished my 1992 fashion collage, made for my website.

http://flashback.wwzapper.com/1992-pics/fashion2.jpg

I hope somebody likes it.  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 02/17/08 at 1:23 pm

Today, I've finished my 1992 fashion collage, made for my website.

http://flashback.wwzapper.com/1992-pics/fashion2.jpg

I hope somebody likes it.  :)

Hey, that's pretty cool, I liked it! :) The 90's were definitely all about comfort, weren't they? Sometimes I miss those casual looking clothes.

Written By: tnf on 02/18/08 at 2:29 am

I have to say: I consider some things as quite tasteless (I don't want the short hair and the early nineties quiff to come back), but the relaxed feel was a positive thing. You're right.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/08 at 1:10 am

February 19th 1992 - Ken Ludwig's musical "Crazy for You," premieres in New York City

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/22/08 at 9:01 pm

No, 1992 wasn't 'gay'. I actually remember it being a rather cool year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/08 at 5:49 am

February 23rd 1992 - The Socialist Labour Party is founded in Georgia.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/12/08 at 1:30 am

March 12th 1992 - Mauritius becomes a republic while remaining a member of the Commonwealth of Nations.

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 03/15/08 at 10:33 am

No, 1992 wasn't 'gay'. I actually remember it being a rather cool year.
1992ers are gay though.  ;D

Written By: woops on 03/15/08 at 5:16 pm

Robbie Roy Montana  8-P

Only if he were to date Lorena Bobbit  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/16/08 at 11:44 am

ご連絡あよろしく悪いあでしょうか
Chinese?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/08 at 3:06 am

March 17th 1992 - Russian manned space craft TM-14, launches into orbit

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 03/17/08 at 9:21 am

Chinese?
Actually, it's Japanese.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/08 at 9:22 am

Actually, it's Japanese.  :)
Thanks!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/08 at 9:23 am

ご連絡あよろしく悪いあでしょうか
1992年には悪いがよろしいですか?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/18/08 at 2:52 am

March 18th 1992 - Leona Helmsley sentence to 4 years for tax evasion

Written By: Davester on 03/18/08 at 10:58 am

March 18th 1992 - Leona Helmsley sentence to 4 years for tax evasion

Leona Helmsley BOOOOOO..! >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/08 at 3:23 am

March 19th 1992 - British Prince Andrew and Princess Sarah Ferguson announce separation

Written By: Mel Tinpot on 03/19/08 at 7:10 am

1992ers are so stupid!  ::)

Written By: robert27 on 03/29/08 at 12:08 pm

Queen Elizabeth II
Although cited by the Oxford English Dictionary as being in use as early as 1985, Queen Elizabeth II brought the phrase to prominence, in a speech to the Guildhall on 24 November 1992, marking the 40th anniversary of her Accession, in which she described the closing year as an "annus horribilis".

“ 1992 is not a year on which I shall look back with undiluted pleasure. In the words of one of my more sympathetic correspondents, it has turned out to be an Annus Horribilis. ”

The phrase may allude to John Dryden's poem "Annus Mirabilis" about the events of 1666. The Queen's "sympathetic correspondent" was later revealed to be her former Assistant Private Secretary, Sir Edward Ford.

In March 1992, it was announced that the Queen's second son, the Duke of York, would separate from his wife Sarah. Later in the year, scandalous pictures of a topless Sarah being kissed by her friend, John Bryan, were published in the tabloids.
In April, the Queen's daughter, the Princess Royal, divorced her husband Captain Mark Phillips.
In November, just four days before the Guildhall speech, one of the Queen's homes, Windsor Castle, caught fire. The Castle was seriously damaged, and several priceless artifacts were lost. Originally, it was planned that the Government would pay the £40 million bill for repairs, but there was much public outcry against having the Government pay. Later, the Queen agreed to open up several royal residences to tourists, and used the funds raised thereby to pay for the repairs.
In December, the Royal Family faced further difficulties when the separation of the Prince of Wales and his wife Diana was announced.

1992 WAS a bad year afterall!  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/08 at 3:45 pm

March 29th 1992 - 12th Golden Raspberry Awards: Hudson Hawk wins

Written By: robby76 on 03/29/08 at 8:34 pm

March 29th 1992 - 12th Golden Raspberry Awards: Hudson Hawk wins

I actually watched that at the cinema with some school friends!

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/08 at 6:41 am

I actually watched that at the cinema with some school friends!
Did you enjoy that film?

Written By: robby76 on 03/30/08 at 8:57 am

Did you enjoy that film?

I can't remember much of it besides Bruce Willis flying around in some contraption. Nostalgia may be clouding my judgement but I'd say it was watchable.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/30/08 at 9:11 am

I can't remember much of it besides Bruce Willis flying around in some contraption. Nostalgia may be clouding my judgement but I'd say it was watchable.
For I do remember the movie coming out but nver got round to seeing it, and wonder on seeing the DVD would it be worth buying.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/08 at 1:52 am

March 31st 1992 - USS Missouri (BB-63), the last active US Navy Battleship, is decommissioned in Long Beach, California.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/08 at 3:36 am

April 6th 1992 - A general strike is declared by communist groups in Nepal

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/09/08 at 2:01 am

April 9th 1992 - John Major's Conservative Party wins an unprecedented fourth general election victory in the United Kingdom.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/08 at 1:42 am

April 12th 1992 - Disneyland Resort Paris opens in the eastern suburbs of Paris, France, and is the second international Disney resort property.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/13/08 at 2:21 am

April 13th 1992 - Neil Kinnock resigns as British Labour leader following the party's defeat by the Conservatives in the general election four days earlier.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/08 at 1:45 am

April 15th 1992 - National Assembly of Vietnam adopts the 1992 Constitution of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/16/08 at 1:54 am

April 16th 1992 - The Katina P. runs aground off of Maputo, Mozambique. 60,000 tons of crude oil spill into the ocean.

Check for new replies or respond here...