inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: is home improvement a 90s fad?

Written By: Pray on 12/09/07 at 7:05 pm

there was this tim allen show, HGTV, bob vila, was home improvement a 90s thing? not to mention home depot getting so big.

Subject: Re: is home improvement a 90s fad?

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/07 at 7:29 pm

no

Written By: Pray on 12/09/07 at 7:43 pm

no

it's to the point?

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/07 at 7:47 pm

I see what the OP means. Although I think there's much more business and overall renovation since the early '00s (i.e. redesigns of malls, shopping centers, construction of more row-styled housing developments)..the '90s did seem like it was big on interior design and renovation.

Written By: whistledog on 12/09/07 at 7:48 pm

it's to the point?

If home improvement was a 90s fad, then how did things get built before then and still today?

Written By: Pray on 12/09/07 at 7:53 pm

If home improvement was a 90s fad, then how did things get built before then and still today?

it's been around since the stone age, but it seemed especially big in the 90s. sort of like poker now. people have played poker for centuries but it's especially big now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/09/07 at 7:54 pm

Jason, I don't think the thread starter is saying they were nonexistant lol. He's just saying there was something more of a mainstream focus on it in the '90s, and I somewhat agree. It's just like with malls being highly associated with the '80s. Even if people go to them now, they were more popular and thriving then.

Written By: Red Ant on 12/09/07 at 8:25 pm

It may have gotten big in the 90s, but it's going stronger every year. There's more flip this house, redecorate this house for under 2k, sell this house, restore this house, this old house etc type shows on now than ever.

By looking at TV you would think people didn't live in houses anymore, that they are a just a curious hobby now...

Ant

Written By: ladybug316 on 12/09/07 at 10:13 pm

Thanks to reality tv, I think many more people were inspired to take on a project, but I don't think it's a fad.  It's so hard to find a good contractor, you might as well try it yourself.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/10/07 at 12:16 am

I think the whole "do-it-yourself" fad did get much stronger in the '90s, due to shows on TLC and Discovery Channel. Bob Villa had been around a lot longer before the fad began, as well as some other people.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/10/07 at 7:57 pm

There's also HGTV, which my mother watches regularly.  :)

Written By: whistledog on 12/10/07 at 8:18 pm

We have a Canadian verson of HGTV that launched in '97.  My mom watches it alot too. 

For building shows, I like to watch Trading Spaces, but only when Genevieve is on there.  I like her! http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/4641/wub4fe.gif

http://www.mspmag.com/images/features/features/asset_upload_file518_35840.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/07 at 8:18 am

Ever since humankind has live in the caves, then into houses, humankind has always sort to improve the homestead.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/12/07 at 1:57 pm

Ever since humankind has live in the caves, then into houses, humankind has always sort to improve the homestead.

That's a good observation. And, also, not just our homestead but everything in our lives. We're just that way!  :)

Written By: Bluescreen_ODeff on 12/20/07 at 8:48 pm

Is Home Improvement a 90s fad?  If so, then this must soon be 1998, because our family's been watching reruns all the time in the afternoons.

Now, I don't think a show like that just stays in the 90s, for the reason described above, and for the fact that Home and Garden Television is still on the air.

By the way, if you haven't figured out already, I'm new here.  So hello, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/21/07 at 2:20 am

Is Home Improvement a 90s fad?  If so, then this must soon be 1998, because our family's been watching reruns all the time in the afternoons.

Now, I don't think a show like that just stays in the 90s, for the reason described above, and for the fact that Home and Garden Television is still on the air.

By the way, if you haven't figured out already, I'm new here.  So hello, Merry Christmas, and God Bless!
What was my father (and uncle) doing to their homes back in 1970's?

Written By: Doc Brown on 12/26/07 at 9:44 pm

In fairness to pray, Home Improvement has been around since America had its first real economic boom back in the 1920's, but what really became the rage in the 90's(and still is today) is the Do-It-Yourself movement. After all, people did not do much around the house since the early 60's, when the women's movement took just about everyone out of the home, and the cultural divide deepened so much that older kids barely wanted to acknowledge their parents, let alone do anything with them. Home repairs and redecorations were generally hired out to professionals. Then in the 70's, a general economic downturn kept much of that from being affordable, and the big-money 80's usually had people buying designer furniture, cars, computers, and mostly turned more toward buying new homes than fixing up the old.
But once shows like Home Improvement popularized hanging out at home again, people began looking at how they could redo their houses, and almost an entire new industry took off from there(HGTV,DIY,Trading Spaces,Flip That House). So now as long as roles continue to change and the American work ethic stays strong, the Do-It-Yourself movement & industry will keep thriving. Of course, the biggest push might have come from former president Carter and Habitat For Humanity. You never know!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Christina87 on 01/23/08 at 6:37 pm

i loved the show home improvement my poppy and i used to watch it (forget what night it was on) every week when i was about 8 years old or so

its on nick at night in reruns right now

they only play 3 shows on there now and i hate that and they arent THAT old

Home Improvement
Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
and George Lopez (which is what FIVE years old if that)

Check for new replies or respond here...