inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ugly Kid Joe

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/13/07 at 6:11 am

As much of an oxymoron as it sounds, they seem like a hair metal/grunge cross! Like, with the fun and lightheartned attitude of '80s rock, but in a rougher and less cheesy way.

I remember seeing the "Everything About You" video on MTV quite a bit in 1992. I didn't totally get it at the time, and apparently neither did a few of the other kids at my school (who thought it was funny), but that seems like it was purposefully tongue in cheek. On the surface it sounds negative as if he hates everything about this girl and anything else in his life, but it's in such a silly, fun way you can't really take it seriously.

Subject: Re: Ugly Kid Joe

Written By: whistledog on 12/14/07 at 12:08 pm

I only really know what their cover of 'Cats in the Cradle' sounds like.  I know they did have other popular songs, but I've never given them a listen.  Though I probably do know them and don't know it (yet) lol

Written By: Step-chan on 12/14/07 at 2:29 pm

I remember them, although I never was into them for the most part.

I do agree on the tounge in cheek part.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/15/07 at 7:48 pm

I remember listening to "Everything About You" back in 1992. Ugly Kid Joe seemed to disappear after that.

Written By: woops on 12/16/07 at 5:44 pm

Don't know if the song "Everything About You" was intended to be funny, but it is  :D

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/16/07 at 7:48 pm

^ I think he was being jokey about it. I heard once that it was written as an "anti power ballad" (which gives it some '90s credit), but it was in a silly way. It's funny because this one kid at my school at the time loved the song and thought it was hilarious, since he thought the guys were being for real.

Check for new replies or respond here...