inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 90's"

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/18/07 at 7:16 pm

5 Part Series that started yesterday on VH1, but if you missed the 1st episode yesterday, don't worry because each day they play the previous episodes leading up to the new one at 10 pm each night this week.

VH1 did this same thing last year with the 80's and now they are doing it with the 90's.  The only problem is that VH1 themselves hand picked about 100 songs and had the fans go on their website to Vote for their own personal Top 10 (from VH1's already hand picked list of songs), and they calculate everyone's votes and that's how they come up with their final list for the show. Also, they only allowed 1 song per artist, so an artist can't have more than 1 song on the countdown.

After viewing the entire list, this is definitely more of a "100 Greatest POP Songs of the 90's" than it is an actual list of the Greatest Songs overall of the decade.  Basically they picked the 100 most popular, well known songs of the decade and had us all vote for them.

Anyway, you can check it out on VH1 tonight and the rest of the week.

By the way, here's the entire list....

1. Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. U2 One
3. Backstreet Boys I Want It That Way
4. Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You
5. Madonna Vogue
6. Sir Mix-A-Lot Baby Got Back
7. Britney Spears ... Baby One More Time
8. TLC Waterfalls
9. R.E.M. Losing My Religion
10. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U
11. Pearl Jam Jeremy
12. Alanis Morissette You Oughta Know
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)  Nuthin' but a "G" Thang
14. Mariah Carey Vision of Love
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge
16. MC Hammer U Can't Touch This
17. Destiny's Child Say My Name
18. Metallica Enter Sandman
19. Beastie Boys Sabotage
20. Hanson MMMBop
21. Celine Dion My Heart Will Go On
22. Beck Loser
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue Whatta Man
24. House of Pain Jump Around
25. Soundgarden Black Hole Sun
26. Eminem My Name Is
27. Counting Crows Mr. Jones
28. Ricky Martin Livin' la Vida Loca
29. Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby
30. *NSYNC Tearin' Up My Heart
31. Radiohead Creep
32. BLACKstreet No Diggity
33. Spice Girls Wannabe
34. Third Eye Blind Semi-Charmed Life
35. Oasis Wonderwall
36. C+C Music Factory Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)
37. Green Day Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
38. Christina Aguilera Genie In A Bottle
39. Goo Goo Dolls Iris
40. Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up
41. Spin Doctors Two Princes
42. Collective Soul Shine
43. En Vogue My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)
44. The Fugees Killing Me Softly With His Song
45. Hootie & the Blowfish Only Wanna Be With You
46. Shania Twain You're Still the One
47. Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch Good Vibrations
48. Matchbox Twenty 3 AM
49. Jewel Who Will Save Your Soul
50. Alice in Chains Man in the Box
51. Tupac (featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman) California Love
52. Sugar Ray Fly
53. Naughty by Nature O.P.P.
54. Joan Osborne One of Us
55. Fiona Apple Criminal
56. L.L. Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out
57. Jay-Z Can I Get A...
58. Sophie B. Hawkins Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover
59. Weezer Buddy Holly
60. Bell Biv DeVoe Poison
61. Sheryl Crow All I Wanna Do
62. Live I Alone
63. The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase & Puff Daddy Mo Money Mo Problems
64. The Presidents of the United States of America Peaches
65. Digital Underground The Humpty Dance
66. Edwin McCain I'll Be
67. Deee-Lite Groove Is In The Heart
68. Will Smith Gettin' Jiggy Wit It
69. Korn Freak on a Leash
70. Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
71. Arrested Development Tennessee
72. Barenaked Ladies One Week
73. Marcy Playground Sex and Candy
74. Cher Believe
75. Kris Kross Jump
76. Blues Traveler Run-Around
77. Ice Cube It Was a Good Day
78. Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way
79. Meredith Brooks Bitch
80. Right Said Fred I'm Too Sexy
81. Paula Cole I Don't Want to Wait
82. Geto Boys Mind Playing Tricks on Me
83. The Breeders Cannonball
84. Snow Informer
85. Cypress Hill Insane In The Brain
86 The Cranberries Linger
87. Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart
88. Duncan Sheik Barely Breathing
89. Liz Phair Never Said
90. New Radicals You Get What You Give
91. Sarah McLachlan Building a Mystery
92. Public Enemy 911 Is A Joke
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories Stay
94. Fastball The Way
95. Montell Jordan This is How We Do It
96. Nelson (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection
97. Prince & The New Power Generation Gett Off
98. EMF Unbelievable
99. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)
100. Gerardo Rico Suave

You guys should check it out, it's an interesting show.  They have commentary from people while talking about each song and they talk about what the artists are up to today and stuff like that.

Subject: Re: VH1's "100 Greatest Songs of the 90's"

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/07 at 7:21 pm

Alot of those songs don't belong in a list like that

Written By: woops on 12/18/07 at 7:22 pm

5 Part Series that started yesterday on VH1, but if you missed the 1st episode yesterday, don't worry because each day they play the previous episodes leading up to the new one at 10 pm each night this week.

VH1 did this same thing last year with the 80's and now they are doing it with the 90's.  The only problem is that VH1 themselves hand picked about 100 songs and had the fans go on their website to Vote for their own personal Top 10 (from VH1's already hand picked list of songs), and they calculate everyone's votes and that's how they come up with their final list for the show. Also, they only allowed 1 song per artist, so an artist can't have more than 1 song on the countdown.

After viewing the entire list, this is definitely more of a "100 Greatest POP Songs of the 90's" than it is an actual list of the Greatest Songs overall of the decade.  Basically they picked the 100 most popular, well known songs of the decade and had us all vote for them.

Anyway, you can check it out on VH1 tonight and the rest of the week.

By the way, here's the entire list....

1. Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. U2 One
5. Madonna Vogue
6. Sir Mix-A-Lot Baby Got Back
8. TLC Waterfalls
9. R.E.M. Losing My Religion
10. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U
11. Pearl Jam Jeremy
12. Alanis Morissette You Oughta Know
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)  Nuthin' but a "G" Thang
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge
16. MC Hammer U Can't Touch This
18. Metallica Enter Sandman
19. Beastie Boys Sabotage
22. Beck Loser
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue Whatta Man
24. House of Pain Jump Around
25. Soundgarden Black Hole Sun
27. Counting Crows Mr. Jones
31. Radiohead Creep
32. BLACKstreet No Diggity
34. Third Eye Blind Semi-Charmed Life
37. Green Day Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)
40. Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up (only song I can tolerate)
41. Spin Doctors Two Princes
43. En Vogue My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)
44. The Fugees Killing Me Softly With His Song
50. Alice in Chains Man in the Box
53. Naughty by Nature O.P.P.
56. L.L. Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out
59. Weezer Buddy Holly
60. Bell Biv DeVoe Poison
62. Live I Alone
64. The Presidents of the United States of America Peaches
65. Digital Underground The Humpty Dance
67. Deee-Lite Groove Is In The Heart
70. Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity
71. Arrested Development Tennessee
73. Marcy Playground Sex and Candy
83. The Breeders Cannonball
85. Cypress Hill Insane In The Brain
92. Public Enemy 911 Is A Joke
94. Fastball The Way
95. Montell Jordan This is How We Do It
97. Prince & The New Power Generation Gett Off
98. EMF Unbelievable

songs I like or can tolerate

Oddly, it's kinda similar to the worst '90's list I posted some years ago  ::)

Written By: woops on 12/18/07 at 7:28 pm

Where's:

Vanessa Williams "Save The Best For Last"
The Cure "Friday I'm In Love"
Toad The Wet Sprocket "All I Want"
Janet Jackson "Love Will Never Do (Without You)"
Jane Child "Don't Wanna Fall In Love"
Blink 182 "All The Small Things"
Wreckx N Effect "Rump Shaker"
Digable Planets "Rebirth Of Slick"
Aerosmith "Livin' On The Edge"
Jennifer Paige "Crush"
INXS "Suicide Blonde"

Also "So Whatcha Want" from Beastie Boys is better than "Sabotage". This is a 'Best Songs' list, not 'Best Music Videos'. Same for others...

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/18/07 at 7:40 pm

Holy Mother of God, I just skimmed back through the list and noticed some huge songs they left off the list.  I mean if they are going to be listing the Most POPULAR Songs of the 90's, how in the hell could they possibly leave these songs off the list?...

"Kiss From A Rose" by Seal

"That's The Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson

"Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio

"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith

"Don't Speak" by No Doubt

"The Sign" by Ace of Base

"I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly

"How Bizarre" by OMC

"Save The Best For Last" by Vanessa Williams

"I'd Do Anything For Love" by Meat Loaf

"Can't Help Falling In Love" by UB40

ANY "Boyz II Men" Song

None of those Songs OR Artists are even on the list....That's inexcusable for this particular list

I don't think they "intentionally" left off those songs, I think they just completely had a brain freeze and forgot about them while sorting out the list.  That's a huge mistake on their part.

Written By: coqueta83 on 12/18/07 at 7:58 pm

I don't know why "Baby One More Time" and "I Want it That Way" are so high on that list, since I believe there are better songs on that list that deserved a higher ranking.  :(

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/18/07 at 8:10 pm

I don't know why "Baby One More Time" and "I Want it That Way" are so high on that list, since I believe there are better songs on that list that deserved a higher ranking.  :(

Keep in mind that they let the "viewers" vote.  So I guess all the Backstreet Boys and Britney fans voted a ton of times for their songs.

I guess VH1 isn't confident enough to make a list of their own and are afraid of being insulted for their own personal list so they just let fans make the list......Big Mistake.

I'm still confused that "Kiss From A Rose" isn't on the list...How do they explain that?  I mean, i'd imagine that song would make everyone's personal Top 10 Pop Songs of the 90's list, especially way ahead of any Britney and Backstreet Boys songs

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/18/07 at 8:37 pm

This list is identical to a list of "Worst 90s Songs Ever" I would make.  ::)

Or maybe "Most Overrated Songs of the 90s Ever". And there is a ridiculous bias towards American songs. Hardly any britpop like Blur or Oasis.

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/18/07 at 8:45 pm

Or maybe "Most Overrated Songs of the 90s Ever". And there is a ridiculous bias towards American songs. Hardly any britpop like Blur or Oasis.

Well Duh.  It's an American Show.  It's based off songs that were popular in America during the 90's. I doubt they even air this show in any other countries anyway.

Sheesh, what a mistake it was making this thread  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/18/07 at 10:05 pm

Holy Mother of God, I just skimmed back through the list and noticed some huge songs they left off the list.  I mean if they are going to be listing the Most POPULAR Songs of the 90's, how in the hell could they possibly leave these songs off the list?...

"Kiss From A Rose" by Seal

"That's The Way Love Goes" by Janet Jackson

"Gangsta's Paradise" by Coolio

"I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" by Aerosmith

"Don't Speak" by No Doubt

"The Sign" by Ace of Base

"I Believe I Can Fly" by R. Kelly

"How Bizarre" by OMC

"Save The Best For Last" by Vanessa Williams

"I'd Do Anything For Love" by Meat Loaf

"Can't Help Falling In Love" by UB40

ANY "Boyz II Men" Song

None of those Songs OR Artists are even on the list....That's inexcusable for this particular list

I don't think they "intentionally" left off those songs, I think they just completely had a brain freeze and forgot about them while sorting out the list.  That's a huge mistake on their part.

I'll still be watching it because I love those kinds of shows, but I agree. Even though I like about two thirds of that list, there's SO MANY good ones they left out. I like all the ones you selected, and I agree there's no way you can call it a complete list without those. Also, there's gotta be something from Paula Abdul on there (probably either "Rush Rush" or "Promise of a New Day").

It sounds like it was biased more towards the teenybopper era, as opposed to 1991-'96, which was more the "real 90s" in terms of music.

Written By: whistledog on 12/18/07 at 11:05 pm

I find lists like these always get people all riled up.  The best thing to do is not watch these kind of shows, and just make your own lists. 

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/19/07 at 12:58 am

I found some more huge hits they left off the list...

"Torn" by Natalie Imbruglia

"I Love You Always Forever" by Donna Lewis

"Truly, Madly, Deeply" by Savage Garden

"Tubthumping" by Chumbawamba

"Lovefool" by The Cardigans

"Tears In Heaven" by Eric Clapton

"Another Night" by Real McCoy

"Smooth" by Santana & Rob Thomas

"Save Tonight" by Eagle Eye Cherry

"One Headlight" by The Wallflowers

"Everything I Do, I Do It For You" by Bryan Adams

"Mambo #5" by Lou Bega

"All My Life" by K-Ci & JoJo

"Give Me One Reason" by Tracy Chapman

"I Know" by Dionne Farris

"I Believe" by Blessid Union of Souls

"Breakfast At Tiffany's" by Deep Blue Something

"Set Adrift On Memory Bliss" by P.M. Dawn

Also, they have absolutely no songs from Janet Jackson, Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men or Toni Braxton on the list.  All of them had numerous huge hits during the decade.

Also, i'm a bit annoyed that they included "Say My Name" by Destiny's Child on the list (And the fact that it's all the way at #17) because the song is actually from 2000.  The song wasn't released as a single until January 2000 and finally peaked at #1 in March 2000.  They could have picked another Destiny's Child song, especially one from either 1998 or 1999, but they screwed that up.

What I hate is that they go by "Album Dates" instead of the actual dates/years of when a song charted or peaked. So all it does is confuse people.  They said that "Unbelievable" by EMF was from 1990, when infact it peaked at #1 in July 1991.

If they are going by the years in which the album's were released, then i'm surprised they didn't include songs that peaked in the 2000's such as "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon, "Butterfly" by Crazy Town, "Drive" by Incubus and "Thank You" by Dido which are all from Albums released in 1999

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 12/19/07 at 1:14 am

What I hate is that they go by "Album Dates" instead of the actual dates/years of when a song charted or peaked. So all it does is confuse people.  They said that "Unbelievable" by EMF was from 1990, when infact it peaked at #1 in July 1991.

If they are going by the years in which the album's were released, then i'm surprised they didn't include songs that peaked in the 2000's such as "Everything You Want" by Vertical Horizon, "Butterfly" by Crazy Town, "Drive" by Incubus and "Thank You" by Dido which are all from Albums released in 1999
Album dates are more accurate as that is when the song first came out, when the song was first heard by the general public. Many songs from say, a 1994 album may have charted in 1995 or even 1996. But they are still 1994 songs in my opinion.

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/19/07 at 8:05 am

I guess it could go either way in terms of "later album singles". To use Luke's example, if a song off a 1994 album charted in '95, that's when most people would have become familarized with it. True that it could've been heard by someone who bought the album the day it was released, but more people associate it with when it was a single.

Written By: tv on 12/19/07 at 8:47 am

How can Stone Temple Pilots or even the Gin Blossoms be left off this list? They should have put "Til I Hear It From You" on the list ir  even "Follow You Down" by the Gin Blossoms. I can't believe they didn;t put "Interstate Love Song" on the list by Stone Temple Pilots. Boyz II men(ok you can make fun of them) but I think "Water Runs Dry" should be on the list. I kinda thought Britney Spears was gonna be on the list but I think there are better songs than "Baby One More Time" that were made in the 90's. "Groove Is In The Heart" should not be on this list. Where is "The World I know" by Collective Soul(but they put "Shine" on the list, I just noticed that.) Where is "Bitter Sweet Symphony" by the Verve?

I can;t believe Nelson, Vanilla Ice, Hanson, and Gerrado made this list. Ricky Martin's Livin; Livida Loca should have never made this list either. Backstreet Boys I know they were very popular in the late 90's but they should have never made this list. I agree with "John Doe" that "Breakfast At Tiffanys" by Deep Blue Something should be on the list and you can make a case for Can't Heap Falling In Love" by UB 40.. "Good Intentions" by Toad The Wet Sprocket should be on the list. Toni Braxton is not on a 90's Top 100 songs list? you gotta be kidding me. "Ordinary World" by Duran Duran should have been on the list. "Desperately Wanting" by Better Than Ezra could have made the list too. "Insensitive" by Jann Arden could have easily made this list. "Two Steps Behind" by Def Leppard could have been on this list. Come to think of it "Love Will Lead Will You Back" by Taylor Dayne could have been on this list. "I Wish It Would Rain Down" by Phil Collins could have been on this list too. Did VH1 forget that aristists of the 80's could still have hits in the early 90's? I know they had U2 on this list and REM but forgot some other 80's artists that still had hits 1990-1993.

I didn';t even list any R&B songs that could have been on the list besides ones made by Boyz II Men and Toni Braxton. I thought Brian McKnight could have been a possibility to make this list with "Anytime". "I Ask Of You" by Rapheal Saddiq could have been on this list. "Masterpiece" by Atlantic Starr could have easily made this list. "The First Time" by Surface could have made this list. "Runaway" or "Again" by Janet Jackson could have made this list too. "Nobody Is Supposed To Be Here" by Deborah Cox could have made the list.

As for rap music where is "Whats The Scenario" by Tribe Called Quest and Busta Ryhmes. You can;t forget about that song.

If they want to put a Spice Girls song on the list put on "2 Becomes 1" instead of "Wannabe".

I call for a do-over by VH-1 on this list.

Written By: tv on 12/19/07 at 8:54 am

Well "Wonderwall" by Oasis was on the list. Yeah "Blur" could have made the list with "Song 2".

Written By: Brian06 on 12/19/07 at 12:43 pm

Nelson, Billy Ray Cyrus, Color Me Badd? greatest songs of the '90s?  :P

Written By: Smith on 12/20/07 at 12:06 am

Wow, I think they got every single year wrong on each song on today's episode, especially "Two Princes" by Spin Doctors which they said "made 1991 a brighter year"........The song wasn't even a single until 1993 and was one of the biggest songs of that year. So how could it have made 1991 brighter when it wasn't even on the radio until 2 years later??  You'd think they would do a little research...It's so misleading and annoying

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/20/07 at 11:01 am

ok i will recored vh1's 100 greatest song of the 90's but COME ON Gerrado*sp rico save*sp that is a one hit one,and so is color me badd!!!!!!!! one hit wonders is on the list!!!!!!!!!11they should put wonderwall or bittersweet shyonpy*sp on the list or matter of fact they should put Idon't know is an 90's song or not 2 songs by qeen Show must go on and These of the days of our lives (2 final songs by Freddie Murcury) come on vh1 you could do better

Written By: Matt the Rat76 on 12/20/07 at 11:02 am

and another thing sorry for the double post

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/20/07 at 4:30 pm

I was watching it last night and was very disappointed with what I was watching. I mean some were pretty decent picks and did bring back memories, such as KrissKross' "Jump" and Ice Cube's "It was a Good Day" (I don't think I'd seen that video in about 10 or 12 years. But, that Liz Phair song they were praising about was awful.

Written By: woops on 12/20/07 at 4:42 pm

Also no  Smashing Pumpkins

That many people like "Smells Like Teen Spirit". Though a good song, Nirvana had better like "Come As You Are", "All Apologize", and  "Heart Shaped Box".

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/20/07 at 6:28 pm

I was watching it last night and was very disappointed with what I was watching. I mean some were pretty decent picks and did bring back memories, such as KrissKross' "Jump" and Ice Cube's "It was a Good Day" (I don't think I'd seen that video in about 10 or 12 years. But, that Liz Phair song they were praising about was awful.

I Agree.  The funny thing is, is that VH1 only put in that Liz Phair song because she is somehow involved with the network.  She does alot of VH1's specials (Such as "I Love The 80's", etc...) So I guess they decided to throw her a bone (The same goes for Edwin McCain).

Unfortunately, they bumped off some great tunes just so they could make room for a couple of songs from artists who do their weekly shows or whatever.

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/20/07 at 6:34 pm

By the way, for those of you who have been watching, in between the first commercial break, they do the "Songs that almost made the cut" thing where they countdown #105 to #101, and they had "Protect Ya Neck" by Wu-Tang Clan at #105, I can't remember #104, but #103 was "Everlong" by Foo Fighters

Explain to me how Rico Suave is better than Everlong?

Also no  Smashing Pumpkins

Before the show aired, they had their ballot on VH1.com where we could vote for our own Top 10 of the 90's (Which of course would influence the entire list, since it's our votes that count), but they only gave you a list of songs that they made themselves (And only one song per artist) and I remember seeing "Today" by The Smashing Pumpkins on the ballot.

All I can say is that maybe it will be one of the "Songs that almost made the cut" and be at #102 or #101.  Either way it's a bullcrap list and they can't even get the years on the songs right.

By the way, just for the hell of it, I thought of a couple other HUGE hits they didn't include...

"Macarena" by Los Del Rio

"Missing" by Everything But The Girl

"Nobody Knows" by Tony Rich Project

Hey, if they are going to choose a ton of chessy pop songs in the Top 20 such as Britney Spears, Vanilla Ice, Sir-Mix-A-Lot and Backstreet Boys, why can't they include the Macarena?  :P

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 12/20/07 at 7:11 pm

I Agree.  The funny thing is, is that VH1 only put in that Liz Phair song because she is somehow involved with the network.  She does alot of VH1's specials (Such as "I Love The 80's", etc...) So I guess they decided to throw her a bone (The same goes for Edwin McCain).

Unfortunately, they bumped off some great tunes just so they could make room for a couple of songs from artists who do their weekly shows or whatever.

I had a feeling she may have been in cahoots with the network. Did they include that song "Baby, I Love Your Way" by Big Mountain? That was a good cover, but probably not big enough to get on the list.

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/20/07 at 7:42 pm

I had a feeling she may have been in cahoots with the network. Did they include that song "Baby, I Love Your Way" by Big Mountain? That was a good cover, but probably not big enough to get on the list.

Nope.  It seems as if they only included Songs and Artists that people would instantly be familiar with (I guess they didn't think "Big Mountain" was a recognizable enough group), which is why I hate the list.  It seems so orchestrated, and they sit here and pass it off as the "100 Greatest Songs of the 90's"

I actually loved VH1 up until now.  They were great with the "I Love The..." series for the 70's, 80's and 90's.  But now they are just trying too hard to give the 90's a bad rep with this dumb list.

What's funny is that they actually put a video up on their website showcasing all of the people doing commentary on the show giving their opinions on the list and what they left out.  Alot of people were saying stuff like "Where's Aerosmith?" or "Where's Stone Temple Pilots?" (I of course am thinking the same thing), and then finally "Everlast", from the group House of Pain, said that Whoever made this list should be slapped in the f'n face  ;D

What's more annoying is that they put up this video of everyone complaining about them leaving out certain Artists and Songs, and VH1 doesn't even bother to retort, as if they are justified in leaving out certain Songs and Artists  ???

I can't help but think that either a bunch of 50 year olds are working at VH1 or a bunch of 10 year olds are...

Written By: tv on 12/20/07 at 8:00 pm

ok i will recored vh1's 100 greatest song of the 90's but COME ON Gerrado*sp rico save*sp that is a one hit one,and so is color me badd!!!!!!!! one hit wonders is on the list!!!!!!!!!11they should put wonderwall or bittersweet shyonpy*sp on the list or matter of fact they should put Idon't know is an 90's song or not 2 songs by qeen Show must go on and These of the days of our lives (2 final songs by Freddie Murcury) come on vh1 you could do better
Color Me Badd is not a One Hit Wonder and neither is Oasis(not even in the US.)

I call for a re-count on this countdown just like the last presidential election for the State of Florida Ballots(Bush vs Gore Election 2004.)

Written By: tv on 12/20/07 at 8:20 pm

Yeah but I think "I'll Be" is a good and memorable song though. I never listened to Liz Phair until she scored a hit in 2004. I know she was in the whole Lilith Fair movement but she was never as popular as her contempararies such as Alanis Morisette, Sarah Mclaughin, or Sheryl Crow in the mid to late 90's(1994-1998) or even when Melissa Etheridge was popular for a short while there in 1994-mid 1995 I think.

Written By: tv on 12/20/07 at 8:23 pm

Keep in mind that they let the "viewers" vote.  So I guess all the Backstreet Boys and Britney fans voted a ton of times for their songs.

I guess VH1 isn't confident enough to make a list of their own and are afraid of being insulted for their own personal list so they just let fans make the list......Big Mistake.

I'm still confused that "Kiss From A Rose" isn't on the list...How do they explain that?  I mean, i'd imagine that song would make everyone's personal Top 10 Pop Songs of the 90's list, especially way ahead of any Britney and Backstreet Boys songs
Do the Backstreet Boys even have any fans anymore?

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/20/07 at 10:25 pm

You know what, now that I think about it, it's so obvious that it was VH1 themselves who made this list in order. I think it's pretty scummy to claim that it's the "fans" who's votes are tallied and ultimately made the list what it was when infact it's probably VH1 pulling the strings and making the list themselves.

Basically they make the list and then pit the blame on US if people claim that the list sucks, just so that they don't take a hit to their music credibility.

I think they basically just wanted to showcase all of the popular musicians, especially who are still somewhat relevant today, like for instance putting a Destiny's Child song in the Top 20.  It's obvious they only did that because of Beyonce and how popular she still is today.

The Top 10 all together just seems very cliche in a way, with the obvious "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at #1 and then having the Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears, Madonna, "Baby Got Back" and "I Will Always Love You" in there.  It's obviously sorted in order by VH1 themselves, but they don't want us to know that.

Have you guys seen their "100 Greatest Songs of the 80's" list from last year?  Here was the Top 10 of that list...

1. Bon Jovi - "Livin' on a Prayer" (1987)
2. Def Leppard - "Pour Some Sugar On Me" (1988)
3. Duran Duran - "Hungry Like the Wolf" (1983)
4. Michael Jackson - "Billie Jean" (1983)
5. Prince - "When Doves Cry" (1984)
6. Hall & Oates - "I Can't Go For That" (1981)
7. Guns N' Roses - "Sweet Child O' Mine" (1988)
8. Madonna - "Like a Virgin" (1984)
9. Run-D.M.C. - "Walk This Way" (1986)
10. AC/DC - "You Shook Me All Night Long" (1980)

Now that list seemed more like Fans Voting.  If VH1 would have done it themselves, they probably would have had "Billie Jean" at #1

Written By: Marty McFly on 12/21/07 at 12:40 am

Yeah but I think "I'll Be" is a good and memorable song though. I never listened to Liz Phair until she scored a hit in 2004. I know she was in the whole Lilith Fair movement but she was never as popular as her contempararies such as Alanis Morisette, Sarah Mclaughin, or Sheryl Crow in the mid to late 90's(1994-1998) or even when Melissa Etheridge was popular for a short while there in 1994-mid 1995 I think.

Yeah, I like "I'll Be" too, it has that classic 1994ish ballad sound to it, almost like a soft Collective Soul song. Even though I knew who Liz Phair was beforehand, I never listened to her until "Why Can't I" came out. That's a good poppy song.

I agree with JohnDoe too, about the 1980s list being better selected. There were alot that I was pleasantly surprised to see on there. I love "Billie Jean" and "Thriller" as much as the next person, but it gets predictable and boring when they're at the top on EVERY list, lol.

Written By: ?????????????????????? on 12/21/07 at 9:41 am

Color Me Badd is not a One Hit Wonder and neither is Oasis(not even in the US.)

I call for a re-count on this countdown just like the last presidential election for the State of Florida Ballots(Bush vs Gore Election 2004.)
That was 2000, foo'!

Written By: JohnDoe on 12/21/07 at 2:51 pm

Starting at 6 p.m. Eastern tonight they will show the entire series counting down from #100 to #1 (The show will end at 11 p.m.)

Just a heads up for those of you who want to catch the entire show

Written By: woops on 12/21/07 at 8:30 pm

Now that list seemed more like Fans Voting.  If VH1 would have done it themselves, they probably would have had "Billie Jean" at #1

That was #1 on "Top 80 of the '80's" music video countdown. Mediocre list.

Written By: ggmelvin on 12/25/07 at 1:06 pm

I'm glad none of Mariah Carey songs were number 1.

Written By: Bryanatsck on 12/25/07 at 10:31 pm

other notable songs that should have made the list...

connected-stero mc's
This is a call-Foo Fighters
Here Comes the Hotstepper-Ini Kamoze
No Doubt-spiderwebs
Blur-song 2 (though the song was number 13 on the VH1 Best Rock Songs Ever!?!?!??!)
Around the world-daft punk
Hypnotize-The Notorious B.I.G.
Ghetto Supastar (That Is What You Are)- Praz featuring Ol' Dirty Bastard & Mýa

Written By: Dukefan on 12/29/07 at 6:04 pm

4. Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You

I stopped reading when I saw that.  :P

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 12/30/07 at 7:45 am

Alot of those songs don't belong in a list like that

I have to agree with you, Jason. Some of those songs are just plain annoying. I was going to watch the special, but after seeing the list of songs, I might just pass. Which is a shame, as since I wrote my 90s pop culture book, I've developed a new appreciation for 90s music that I didn't have before...

Written By: MrCleveland on 12/30/07 at 9:25 pm

How come everything from 1990 to 1996 sounds great but everything from 1997 to 1999 sounds like crap?

Written By: VegettoVa90 on 07/01/08 at 2:58 pm

God, I just saw that the other night...and I gotta say, a great many of those songs would probably fit better in a 'worst of' list.

Let's see...I agree with 'Teen Spirit' being #1...I mean it did make the 90's, well, the 90's
'One' is a top ten song...but I wouldn't have put it right behind Nirvana
Backstreet Boys shouldn't have even made the list...ESPECIALLY not 'I Want it that Way'  8-P
Whitney Houston was awful in the 90's, and 'I Will Always Love You' is atrocious
Madonna's 'Vogue' was a very big song, but putting it in the top ten, even the top 25, is giving it way to much credit
'Baby Got Back' is garbage...
Britney Spears is one of the biggest jokes of this decade (next to Ashlee Simpson and Paris Hilton of course), and even if it was huge, it was in '99, so therefore couldn't possibly make the top ten of a Best of the 90's list
'Waterfalls' could have arguably been even higher...that song is catchy and has a message
'Losing My Religion', in my opinion, should have been right behind Nirvana...that song was the first really big alternative hit
'Nothing Compares 2 U' was a very powerfully emotional song, regardless of whether I like it or not, it deserves the #10 spot
'Jeremy' should have been #3
I agree with the position for 'You Oughtta Know'

3,4,6,7 were utter crap, and the majority of the others (minus 1, 10, and 12) should have either been higher or lower. Also, a number of great 90's songs like 'Don't Speak', 'November Rain', and 'Tears in Heaven' (the latter one should have made the top ten) were missing. And a lot of 0ne-hit-wonders like 'Ice Ice Baby' and 'I'm too Sexy' made the list (I think I recall those songs making another VH1 list - one mocking out really bad songs). VH1 should've known better than to let the general public decide...the average American doesn't know his elbow from his eyebrow  >:(

Written By: Davester on 07/01/08 at 5:55 pm

How come everything from 1990 to 1996 sounds great but everything from 1997 to 1999 sounds like crap?

There were a disproportionate number of new acts from in and around the Cleveland area in those years...

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/08 at 9:07 pm

I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a great song and everything, but it is not the best song of the '90s. One of the most important yes, but not the best. In fact, I don't even think it's Nirvana's best song.

Even Kurt Cobain had though it was a bit overrated.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/01/08 at 9:22 pm

I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is a great song and everything, but it is not the best song of the '90s. One of the most important yes, but not the best. In fact, I don't even think it's Nirvana's best song.

Even Kurt Cobain had though it was a bit overrated.

Yeah it's good but they had better songs, this seems more like a most popular songs of the '90s than a greatest songs of the '90s list, which is usually the case with these lists.

Written By: Fairee07 on 07/02/08 at 2:17 am

1. Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit---Way to popular but I love it!  :D Brings me back to my highschool days.
2. U2 One---Good too. Reminds me of losing a loved one.
3. Backstreet Boys I Want It That Way---too cheesy
4. Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You---okay
5. Madonna Vogue----"    "
6. Sir Mix-A-Lot Baby Got Back---great for clubbin'
7. Britney Spears ... Baby One More Time---okay I actually like it.  :-[
8. TLC Waterfalls---Nothing original
9. R.E.M. Losing My Religion----okay
10. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U---My friends and I enjoyed making fun of this song!
11. Pearl Jam Jeremy---okay
12. Alanis Morissette You Oughta Know---Like it when she sings, "And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it."
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)  Nuthin' but a "G" Thang---never heard of this one
14. Mariah Carey Vision of Love---my favorite Mariah Carey song
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge---interesting lyrics
16. MC Hammer U Can't Touch This----aah, those pants
17. Destiny's Child Say My Name---not really my kind of music
18. Metallica Enter Sandman---has an eerie edge to it
19. Beastie Boys Sabotage---I think it's one of my least favorite Beastie Boys songs
20. Hanson MMMBop---totally embarassing to admit but I can't help liking it 'cause the song sounds so cute!
21. Celine Dion My Heart Will Go On---way way overplayed. I remember I would hear this song twice a day on the radio!
22. Beck Loser---song definitely fits with the 90s culture
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue Whatta Man---just not much of a hip-hop fan
24. House of Pain Jump Around---OMIGOSH, this song brings me back to high school dances where we would all jump around like crazy to this. Love it!  ;)
25. Soundgarden Black Hole Sun---nothing special
26. Eminem My Name Is---catchy. G8 video 2
27. Counting Crows Mr. Jones---okay
28. Ricky Martin Livin' la Vida Loca---no me no like this one
29. Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby---rips off David Bowie's hit
30. *NSYNC Tearin' Up My Heart---sorry if I offend anyone, but I find this song SO lame that I actually laugh whenever I hear it.
31. Radiohead Creep---never heard of this one
32. BLACKstreet No Diggity---okay
33. Spice Girls Wannabe----overplayed but I like it
34. Third Eye Blind Semi-Charmed Life---okay
35. Oasis Wonderwall---"    "
36. C+C Music Factory Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)---another song that reminds me of my high school days
37. Green Day Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)---not one of their greatest hits
38. Christina Aguilera Genie In A Bottle---not really my song
39. Goo Goo Dolls Iris----great lyrics
40. Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up---haven't heard of this one
41. Spin Doctors Two Princes---another great song!
42. Collective Soul Shine---"    "
43. En Vogue My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)----okay
44. The Fugees Killing Me Softly With His Song----"    "
45. Hootie & the Blowfish Only Wanna Be With You---whatever happened to them?
46. Shania Twain You're Still the One----a little mushy
47. Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch Good Vibrations----oh I love this one too! (not to mention that he was hot in the video)  :D
48. Matchbox Twenty 3 AM----okay
49. Jewel Who Will Save Your Soul---like it
50. Alice in Chains Man in the Box----no
51. Tupac (featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman) California Love---okay
52. Sugar Ray Fly---"   "
53. Naughty by Nature O.P.P.---I remember in high school, this song was used as an airband skit---I'm really showing my age!
54. Joan Osborne One of Us---like it
55. Fiona Apple Criminal----"I've been a bad bad girl..."  ;)
56. L.L. Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out---good song when it comes to revenge
57. Jay-Z Can I Get A...----just imagine going into Starbucks and asking, "Can I get a waa waa?" LOL
58. Sophie B. Hawkins Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover----okay
59. Weezer Buddy Holly---cool video
60. Bell Biv DeVoe Poison---wow, this one is old school!
61. Sheryl Crow All I Wanna Do---okay
62. Live I Alone---"   "
63. The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase & Puff Daddy Mo Money Mo Problems---oh this was a great song for clubbing
64. The Presidents of the United States of America Peaches---"LOOK OUT!"
65. Digital Underground The Humpty Dance----okay
66. Edwin McCain I'll Be---annoying
67. Deee-Lite Groove Is In The Heart----okay
68. Will Smith Gettin' Jiggy Wit It---"    "
69. Korn Freak on a Leash---no
70. Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity---okay
71. Arrested Development Tennessee----never heard of this one
72. Barenaked Ladies One Week---okay. Use to drive me crazy 'cause I had to hear this every day at work
73. Marcy Playground Sex and Candy---okay
74. Cher Believe---"   "
75. Kris Kross Jump---" uh huh, uh huh"
76. Blues Traveler Run-Around---okay
77. Ice Cube It Was a Good Day---never heard of this one
78. Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way---okay
79. Meredith Brooks Bitch---love it! I think the song describes most women
80. Right Said Fred I'm Too Sexy---funny when my brother use to tease me about this song 'cause he would do this exagerrated dance
81. Paula Cole I Don't Want to Wait---don't like it and same goes with the show "Dawson's Creek"
82. Geto Boys Mind Playing Tricks on Me---never heard of this
83. The Breeders Cannonball----different
84. Snow Informer---okay
85. Cypress Hill Insane In The Brain---Great song to sing when I feel like I'm going insane in the brain!   ;D
86 The Cranberries Linger---Love love love it! This is like one of my all time favorite songs!
87. Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart---Ewww!  8-P
88. Duncan Sheik Barely Breathing---Okay
89. Liz Phair Never Said---never heard of it
90. New Radicals You Get What You Give---Okay
91. Sarah McLachlan Building a Mystery---"   "
92. Public Enemy 911 Is A Joke---Never heard of it but it's probably true
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories Stay---Takes me back
94. Fastball The Way---Okay
95. Montell Jordan This is How We Do It---Okay
96. Nelson (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection----yuck
97. Prince & The New Power Generation Gett Off---never heard of it
98. EMF Unbelievable---okay
99. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)---never heard of it
100. Gerardo Rico Suave----never heard of it

Written By: Fairee07 on 07/02/08 at 2:18 am

1. Nirvana Smells Like Teen Spirit---Way to popular but I love it!  :D Brings me back to my highschool days.
2. U2 One---Good too. Reminds me of losing a loved one.
3. Backstreet Boys I Want It That Way---too cheesy
4. Whitney Houston I Will Always Love You---okay
5. Madonna Vogue----"    "
6. Sir Mix-A-Lot Baby Got Back---great for clubbin'
7. Britney Spears ... Baby One More Time---okay I actually like it.  :-[
8. TLC Waterfalls---Nothing original
9. R.E.M. Losing My Religion----okay
10. Sinead O'Connor Nothing Compares 2 U---My friends and I enjoyed making fun of this song!
11. Pearl Jam Jeremy---okay
12. Alanis Morissette You Oughta Know---Like it when she sings, "And everytime I scratch my nails down someone else's back I hope you feel it."
13. Dr. Dre (featuring Snoop Doggy Dogg)  Nuthin' but a "G" Thang---never heard of this one
14. Mariah Carey Vision of Love---my favorite Mariah Carey song
15. Red Hot Chili Peppers Under the Bridge---interesting lyrics
16. MC Hammer U Can't Touch This----aah, those pants
17. Destiny's Child Say My Name---not really my kind of music
18. Metallica Enter Sandman---has an eerie edge to it
19. Beastie Boys Sabotage---I think it's one of my least favorite Beastie Boys songs
20. Hanson MMMBop---totally embarassing to admit but I can't help liking it 'cause the song sounds so cute!
21. Celine Dion My Heart Will Go On---way way overplayed. I remember I would hear this song twice a day on the radio!
22. Beck Loser---song definitely fits with the 90s culture
23. Salt-N-Pepa with En Vogue Whatta Man---just not much of a hip-hop fan
24. House of Pain Jump Around---OMIGOSH, this song brings me back to high school dances where we would all jump around like crazy to this. Love it!  ;)
25. Soundgarden Black Hole Sun---nothing special
26. Eminem My Name Is---catchy. G8 video 2
27. Counting Crows Mr. Jones---okay
28. Ricky Martin Livin' la Vida Loca---no me no like this one
29. Vanilla Ice Ice Ice Baby---rips off David Bowie's hit
30. *NSYNC Tearin' Up My Heart---sorry if I offend anyone, but I find this song SO lame that I actually laugh whenever I hear it.
31. Radiohead Creep---never heard of this one
32. BLACKstreet No Diggity---okay
33. Spice Girls Wannabe----overplayed but I like it
34. Third Eye Blind Semi-Charmed Life---okay
35. Oasis Wonderwall---"    "
36. C+C Music Factory Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)---another song that reminds me of my high school days
37. Green Day Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)---not one of their greatest hits
38. Christina Aguilera Genie In A Bottle---not really my song
39. Goo Goo Dolls Iris----great lyrics
40. Color Me Badd I Wanna Sex You Up---haven't heard of this one
41. Spin Doctors Two Princes---another great song!
42. Collective Soul Shine---"    "
43. En Vogue My Lovin' (You're Never Gonna Get It)----okay
44. The Fugees Killing Me Softly With His Song----"    "
45. Hootie & the Blowfish Only Wanna Be With You---whatever happened to them?
46. Shania Twain You're Still the One----a little mushy
47. Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch Good Vibrations----oh I love this one too! (not to mention that he was hot in the video)  :D
48. Matchbox Twenty 3 AM----okay
49. Jewel Who Will Save Your Soul---like it
50. Alice in Chains Man in the Box----no
51. Tupac (featuring Dr. Dre and Roger Troutman) California Love---okay
52. Sugar Ray Fly---"   "
53. Naughty by Nature O.P.P.---I remember in high school, this song was used as an airband skit---I'm really showing my age!
54. Joan Osborne One of Us---like it
55. Fiona Apple Criminal----"I've been a bad bad girl..."  ;)
56. L.L. Cool J Mama Said Knock You Out---good song when it comes to revenge
57. Jay-Z Can I Get A...----just imagine going into Starbucks and asking, "Can I get a waa waa?" LOL
58. Sophie B. Hawkins Damn, I Wish I Was Your Lover----okay
59. Weezer Buddy Holly---cool video
60. Bell Biv DeVoe Poison---wow, this one is old school!
61. Sheryl Crow All I Wanna Do---okay
62. Live I Alone---"   "
63. The Notorious B.I.G. featuring Mase & Puff Daddy Mo Money Mo Problems---oh this was a great song for clubbing
64. The Presidents of the United States of America Peaches---"LOOK OUT!"
65. Digital Underground The Humpty Dance----okay
66. Edwin McCain I'll Be---annoying
67. Deee-Lite Groove Is In The Heart----okay
68. Will Smith Gettin' Jiggy Wit It---"    "
69. Korn Freak on a Leash---no
70. Jamiroquai Virtual Insanity---okay
71. Arrested Development Tennessee----never heard of this one
72. Barenaked Ladies One Week---okay. Use to drive me crazy 'cause I had to hear this every day at work
73. Marcy Playground Sex and Candy---okay
74. Cher Believe---"   "
75. Kris Kross Jump---" uh huh, uh huh"
76. Blues Traveler Run-Around---okay
77. Ice Cube It Was a Good Day---never heard of this one
78. Lenny Kravitz Are You Gonna Go My Way---okay
79. Meredith Brooks Bitch---love it! I think the song describes most women
80. Right Said Fred I'm Too Sexy---funny when my brother use to tease me about this song 'cause he would do this exagerrated dance
81. Paula Cole I Don't Want to Wait---don't like it and same goes with the show "Dawson's Creek"
82. Geto Boys Mind Playing Tricks on Me---never heard of this
83. The Breeders Cannonball----different
84. Snow Informer---okay
85. Cypress Hill Insane In The Brain---Great song to sing when I feel like I'm going insane in the brain!   ;D
86 The Cranberries Linger---Love love love it! This is like one of my all time favorite songs!
87. Billy Ray Cyrus Achy Breaky Heart---Ewww!  8-P
88. Duncan Sheik Barely Breathing---Okay
89. Liz Phair Never Said---never heard of it
90. New Radicals You Get What You Give---Okay
91. Sarah McLachlan Building a Mystery---"   "
92. Public Enemy 911 Is A Joke---Never heard of it but it's probably true
93. Lisa Loeb & Nine Stories Stay---Takes me back
94. Fastball The Way---Okay
95. Montell Jordan This is How We Do It---Okay
96. Nelson (Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection----yuck
97. Prince & The New Power Generation Gett Off---never heard of it
98. EMF Unbelievable---okay
99. Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott The Rain (Supa Dupa Fly)---never heard of it
100. Gerardo Rico Suave----never heard of it

Check for new replies or respond here...