inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hype! (1997)...

Written By: Davester on 01/30/08 at 8:22 pm

Anybody see this excellent documentary on the history of grunge and the Seattle scene?  Excellent doc!  I only had a casual interest in grunge and never invested in the lifestyle but it's amazing how this genre just seemed to appear out of nowhere.  At first I was mostly annoyed by the sudden popularity of grunge since my favorite radio stations changed formats.  Went from The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Farm and Peter Murphy to Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  It took awhile but it eventually hooked me...

Here's a trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116589/trailers-screenplay-E11337-310

Any thoughts on the movie or the music..?

Subject: Re: Hype! (1997)...

Written By: Red Ant on 01/30/08 at 9:07 pm

I haven't seen it yet - thanks for the trailer link. As for the music, I love grunge.

Ant

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/31/08 at 8:01 am

I've had this in my Netflix queue for ages... going to have to move it up higher so I can finally watch it.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/08 at 11:30 am

Alice in Chains did "Rooster"?  How come I didn't know that..?

How come I never listened to Dirt?  That's an effin' amazing album and the story of the late Layne Staley is heartbreaking...

Written By: thereshegoes on 02/04/08 at 12:29 pm

Anybody see this excellent documentary on the history of grunge and the Seattle scene?  Excellent doc!  I only had a casual interest in grunge and never invested in the lifestyle but it's amazing how this genre just seemed to appear out of nowhere.  At first I was mostly annoyed by the sudden popularity of grunge since my favorite radio stations changed formats.  Went from The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Farm and Peter Murphy to Nirvana and Pearl Jam.  It took awhile but it eventually hooked me...

Here's a trailer: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116589/trailers-screenplay-E11337-310

Any thoughts on the movie or the music..?

I haven't watched that but i want to. It will bring back so many memories,music was really vibrant at that time. I have this doc/live music videotape "1991-The Year Punk Broke" with Sonic Youth(one of my favorite bands ever),Nirvana,Dinosaur Jr.,Gumball...i still watch it all the time. Grunge was the last music revolution,nothing really exciting happened after that.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/08 at 1:12 pm

I haven't watched that but i want to. It will bring back so many memories,music was really vibrant at that time. I have this doc/live music videotape "1991-The Year Punk Broke" with Sonic Youth(one of my favorite bands ever),Nirvana,Dinosaur Jr.,Gumball...i still watch it all the time. Grunge was the last music revolution,nothing really exciting happened after that.

I've always considered grunge the metal we all loved in the 80s that we just grabbed by the balls and made our own.  The kind of metal we all fantasized about making when we were kids...

In my experience it's like Mike Jackson - I enjoy the heck out of a song, here and there, without being a fanatic.  In grunge, if you pay close attention to the lyrics you understand that the music is angry, cynical and sorrowful.  There are some serious pathologies being exorcised in this stuff...

Written By: Red Ant on 02/04/08 at 2:10 pm

Alice in Chains did "Rooster"?  How come I didn't know that..?

How come I never listened to Dirt?  That's an effin' amazing album and the story of the late Layne Staley is heartbreaking...

Dirt is an awesome album - it might be my favorite of the 90s. Re: "Rooster", probably because it doesn't sound as bleak as most other AiC songs do. The vocals are unmistakeable though.

One theory I have as to why grunge became popular so quickly: rock of the late 80s had gotten so cheesy (especially hair metal) that there was a enormous void in music by 1990. Hair metal... look at the common themes: pretty much sex, drugs and rock and roll. Not that those are bad things, but people got tired of it. I was one of them. When grunge came along, it flew in the face of everything 80s. It's about the complete opposite of hair metal.

AiC is by far the darkest of the 90s alternative bands. The opening of Dirt:

"I believe them bones are me. Some say we're born into the grave" - Them Bones

Look on YouTube for "Confusion" (best AiC IMO) and compare it to, say, "Unskinny Bop". Both were released in 1990. Huge difference, eh?

Not all grunge bands have super dark lyrics...

Although you'd be hard pressed to call Faith No More grunge, you ought to check them out if you're not familiar with their work.

Ant

Written By: Davester on 02/04/08 at 11:19 pm

Dirt is an awesome album - it might be my favorite of the 90s. Re: "Rooster", probably because it doesn't sound as bleak as most other AiC songs do. The vocals are unmistakeable though.

One theory I have as to why grunge became popular so quickly: rock of the late 80s had gotten so cheesy (especially hair metal) that there was a enormous void in music by 1990. Hair metal... look at the common themes: pretty much sex, drugs and rock and roll. Not that those are bad things, but people got tired of it. I was one of them. When grunge came along, it flew in the face of everything 80s. It's about the complete opposite of hair metal.

If, by this, you mean real  I definately agree.  I'm talking real as in REAL real, not real as in Fred Durst real, knowhatimean..?

AiC is by far the darkest of the 90s alternative bands. The opening of Dirt:

"I believe them bones are me. Some say we're born into the grave" - Them Bones

Look on YouTube for "Confusion" (best AiC IMO) and compare it to, say, "Unskinny Bop". Both were released in 1990. Huge difference, eh?

I'm sold on AiC.  Lock, stock and barrel.  I've been listening to my 13 y/o Superunknown CD lately and I guess I should say something about it in the "music rediscovered" thread.  I forgot how stirring the genre is.  I almost hate to call it grunge...

Heh, Unskinny Bop.  I think it promotes tooth decay.  3 out of 5 dentists say so...

Not all grunge bands have super dark lyrics...

Although you'd be hard pressed to call Faith No More grunge, you ought to check them out if you're not familiar with their work.

Ant

Loves me some Faith No More!  Once they finally earned the clout (after the success of The Real Thing) to make music on their own terms, they did amazing things (Angel Dust).  I just don't know what was up with Album of the Year... ???

Check for new replies or respond here...