inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Marilyn Manson

Written By: Zoso on 02/28/08 at 2:32 pm

Love them or hate them, they were all over the radio and I'm sure you've heard a few of these songs. Which one did you like the most?

Subject: Re: Marilyn Manson

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 02/28/08 at 5:39 pm

I had a friend who was obsessed with Marilyn.  I could stand listening to The Beautiful People.

He also did a remake of Soft Cells Tainted Love.

Written By: Red Ant on 02/28/08 at 7:11 pm

Of the ones I've heard, "Tourniquet" gets my vote. His cover of "Personal Jesus" was really good, too.

Ant

Written By: Nozmo on 02/28/08 at 10:21 pm

"Tainted Love" I believe was originally done in 1964 by Gloria Jones. Soft Cell did a really good cover of it. I didnt know Manson covered it.

NozmoKing

Written By: Zoso on 02/29/08 at 4:40 am

"Tainted Love" I believe was originally done in 1964 by Gloria Jones. Soft Cell did a really good cover of it. I didnt know Manson covered it.

NozmoKing

And he covered it in 2002. I was just including 90s songs in this poll.

Btw, since you haven't heard it, click here to watch it on YouTube. It's not half bad.

Written By: midnite on 03/08/08 at 1:20 am

i was never into marilyn manson.  for some bizarre reason, i did like the song, i dont like the drugs but the drugs like me. 

Written By: rsbryswrrl on 03/11/08 at 12:15 pm

I saw Marilyn Manson open for NIN at the Hampton Coliseum in I think 1994.  Before anyone knew who they were.  He was a lot scarier then than he is now IMO.

Written By: Zoso on 03/20/08 at 8:29 am

Yes, definitely. I've only ever seen videos of them perform before they made it big in 1995 and you're right, they played up the shock thing way more than they do now. I saw a video where he got a knife and made cuts across his stomach. He cut himself bad enough to make himself bleed a fair bit. If you see shirtless pics of him you can see scars from all the cutting he used to do. You can see a lot of scaring on his stomach and chest in this pic...

http://img63.imageshack.us/img63/9634/marilynmanson23tk.jpg

Was there anything else he did besides cutting himself that shocked you or made him "scary" to watch?

Written By: saluteyourshorts on 05/29/08 at 2:10 am

If you look at the stuff he used to do on stage when he was still in Marilyn Manson and the Spooky kids I don't think you'd ask that question lol. Manson was awesome. He was exactly what the 90s needed. What happened to him these days. It's a shame. I wish he'd stop making cds and stop making it worse for himself. I loved manson when I was younger. I still do. But his new stuff...proof the 00's suck.

Written By: Stumpydisks on 06/10/08 at 2:48 pm

I like pretty much everyone of them on the list :)

Written By: b8man on 06/18/08 at 10:10 am

Some of his music sounded good, but I always thought of him as weirdo tranny trying to get attention with anti god stuff. I'm not trying to be a dick, I just thought he was kind of silly compared to Tupac. (The heart breaking songs from "me against the world" album that turned into pure rage on the "All eyez on me" and "the don killuminati: the seven day theory" albums. Please understand, his lyrics can take YEARS of listening before they really start making sense to you. It took me 10 years to get the total picture. He completely changed my life. Best 3 songs:
1) Hold ya head- the don killuminati: the seven day theory
2) Blasphemy- the don killuminati: the seven day theory
3) Only God can judge me- All eyez on me
The second verse from Only God can judge me is referring to when he woke up in the hospital after after being shot 5 times in 1994, fighting for his life.

I know this isn't the Tupac thread, it's the Marilyn Manson thread, so I apologize if this pissed anyone off.

Written By: whistledog on 06/18/08 at 8:57 pm

Can't stand Marilyn Manson.  He destroyed several 80s classics, and for this he must die! lol

Written By: Mike from Jersey on 06/26/08 at 4:44 pm

I think he really started to make a novelty of himself, by the time he started doing all that bisexual tranny stuff. He should have kept with the devil image.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/29/08 at 2:27 pm

Great Googly moogly!

I remember when I first saw the video for "Sweet Dreams" God that'll stay with me forever. Marylin on the back of a pig, in a tutu ridng through an abandoned chapel. Gosh.  :o That was kind of unique for me to see when most of the videos I watched were sugary and pop-y and it was such a change.

The Dope Show was wild too. I was kind of cool with him until I saw him rip up a Bible onstage durnig a conert.  :(

@Zoso. I like your avvy!

Check for new replies or respond here...