inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do You Get Ridiculed For Your Sense of Nostalgia?

Written By: Nintendo 64 on 02/28/08 at 8:35 pm

Do you? I sometimes do. At my school, I get ridiculed for liking 90's things. I am told to keep up with the times. At break, my friends play Tech Decks handheld game systems, or do nostalgic things, while the rest of the students text on phones, bluetooth songs, gossip, do bad things with the opposite gender, or flex muscles. I can hardly relate to teens. They are mindless, emotional, machines. I still play Nintendo 64, and I get laughed at. I send letters occasionally, while others text. I really am not a fan of this generation.

Subject: Re: Do You Get Ridiculed For Your Sense of Nostalgia?

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/08 at 8:50 pm

Well, I don't ever really recall being ridiculed too badly for having some nostalgia for the '90s back when I was in high school, of course the '90s hadn't been over that long when I started high school in the early '00s so I guess that could have something to do with it.

I've never really bothered with trying to 'keep up with the times' anyway. I still play my NES, Super Nintendo, Genesis, PS1, and Nintendo 64 right along with the newer systems, and I still mostly listen to the music I grew up with back in the '90s, so I can understand how you feel.

Written By: Bobby on 02/28/08 at 9:03 pm

I get laughed at when I say I like watching old cartoons and playing with old toys but they respect who I am. The problem for me is not neccessarily getting ridiculed but finding something in common with people. Not many people I know like 80s music and old films.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/28/08 at 9:09 pm

Well I embrace today while having nostalgia for the '90s as well. I've never really been ridiculed for a sense of nostalgia though maybe some of my younger cousins would laugh about it sometimes, though they don't know any better lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 02/28/08 at 9:40 pm

Well I embrace today while having nostalgia for the '90s as well. I've never really been ridiculed for a sense of nostalgia though maybe some of my younger cousins would laugh about it sometimes, though they don't know any better lol.

Yeah, I would agree with that. There are alot of new things I don't like, but there are also alot of new things I do like.

I've never heard the '90s ridiculed as much as the '80s were though. Today, you could listen to Pearl Jam and not get mocked nearly as bad as if you were still listening to Winger in like 1995. I have noticed though, that with the rise of 'emo' and the like, '90s music has become a bit more passe.

Written By: Nintendo 64 on 02/29/08 at 7:05 am

Yeah, I would agree with that. There are alot of new things I don't like, but there are also alot of new things I do like.

I've never heard the '90s ridiculed as much as the '80s were though. Today, you could listen to Pearl Jam and not get mocked nearly as bad as if you were still listening Winger in like 1995. I have noticed though, that with the rise of 'emo' and the like, '90s music has become a bit more passe.

Darn emotional music. Well, times are catching up, unfortunately. Bratty, harsh teens are the future and all fun is gone. One time, I was playing Nirvana on my CD stereo, and other teens were laughing, so the started playing that stupid "Apple Bottom Jeans" song on their cell phones. However, my high quality CD drowned out their low quality sound on the phones. Seriously, why do teens spend so much time on their phones, listening to low quality sound music?

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/29/08 at 10:33 am

Well, I occasionally do, but I go to a school consisting of only 4 students who are teens/kids of the '00s. But they do respect me.

But I can definitely understand what you're going through. The pop culture of the '00s is bland, tasteless, and stupid.

What I mainly get ridiculed for is liking Carolina Circle Mall, a mall of the '70s, '80s, and '90s that closed in 2002. They think it's stupid to care so much about a mall that literally no longer exists.

N64, let me tell you one thing. What you are doing is being nostalgic for the greatest decade ever. The 1990s. You should be proud. Do not, I repeat, do not listen to the ridiculers. :)

Written By: Tia on 02/29/08 at 10:53 am

Do you? I sometimes do. At my school, I get ridiculed for liking 90's things. I am told to keep up with the times.
yeah, when i get that i tend to point out that "the times" suck.  ;D of course i'm older, when i wax nostalgic i bust out the atari 2600 -- and then am reminded that, yes, in fact the atari just isnt very good anymore.

Written By: Nintendo 64 on 02/29/08 at 5:15 pm

yeah, when i get that i tend to point out that "the times" suck.  ;D of course i'm older, when i wax nostalgic i bust out the atari 2600 -- and then am reminded that, yes, in fact the atari just isnt very good anymore.

Atari is better than the Ps3, in my opinion. Sony went downhill after the PS1.

Written By: Tia on 02/29/08 at 5:47 pm

i always wanted a colecovision. atari has its moments, pitfall and river raid are great games. and combat -- which came free with atari once upon a time -- is deceptively cool. you can really get fired up if you're playing that with someone good.

tell you the truth, i like a lot of games now, but just as often the technology becomes a crutch for lack of imagination.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/29/08 at 6:27 pm

XBox 360 is a good system...when it works that is.  ;D PS3 is nicely designed but STILL has a poor game selection. I started gaming back in the 16 bit era with the Genesis/SNES, I remember playing Sonic and Super Mario World, still amazing games to this today even without flashy 3d graphics that we have available now.

Written By: Brian06 on 02/29/08 at 6:30 pm

I've never heard the '90s ridiculed as much as the '80s were though. Today, you could listen to Pearl Jam and not get mocked nearly as bad as if you were still listening Winger in like 1995. I have noticed though, that with the rise of 'emo' and the like, '90s music has become a bit more passe.

Very true, honestly I don't hear much '90s hate...never have really. (except from older school people that never liked the '90s anyway of course).

Written By: coqueta83 on 02/29/08 at 7:35 pm

I don't get ridiculed a whole lot for being nostalgic. I've known people in the past who thought my love for nostalgia is ridculous and I should "get with the times", but even that didn't bother me much. I'm happy with who I am, and if I want to listen to 80's music I will do just that and not worry about what other people think.  :)

Written By: Marty McFly on 02/29/08 at 8:31 pm

Good topic. I see what the OP is saying, because I've experienced this myself to a lesser extent. Usually it's just in the sense of being playfully teased by friends or other people I know for being old school. For instance, the newest game system I have is the Super NES and I tend to favor '80s and early-mid '90s music as well as tv shows and movies.

It's never been like "Dude get out of the Nineties" or anything, but one area that some people don't seem to grasp about me is my emotional connection to the past (both my personal experiences as well as pop culture), or being able to really look at previous years in a "present tense". Like I don't think most people would actually go back to the past if they had the chance, whereas I would. At least for a little bit. ;)

P.S. Just for a little background, I had what I would call a "half Eighties childhood". I was born in 1981 and I remember lots of songs and video games from that actual time, mixed in with cool memories of just being a kid and doing family or school things. I certainly didn't know about everything, but what I did made enough of an impact on me to stay with me and define my tastes.

The '90s were perfect in the middle because I was about equally split between the '80s (both what I already liked and getting deeper into stuff I didn't know about) and current stuff. Like I was into some of the mellower alternative rock and ballads and watched alot of movies (anything by Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, etc). I was also able to grasp more "grown up" things like politics and just more of a detailed idea of what the time was like...yet I was still kinda young enough to be a little bit innocent about it.

Written By: Roadgeek on 02/29/08 at 9:53 pm

Good topic. I see what the OP is saying, because I've experienced this myself to a lesser extent. Usually it's just in the sense of being playfully teased by friends or other people I know for being old school. For instance, the newest game system I have is the Super NES and I tend to favor '80s and early-mid '90s music as well as tv shows and movies.

It's never been like "Dude get out of the Nineties" or anything, but one area that some people don't seem to grasp about me is my emotional connection to the past (both my personal experiences as well as pop culture), or being able to really look at previous years in a "present tense". Like I don't think most people would actually go back to the past if they had the chance, whereas I would. At least for a little bit. ;)

P.S. Just for a little background, I had what I would call a "half Eighties childhood". I was born in 1981 and I remember lots of songs and video games from that actual time, mixed in with cool memories of just being a kid and doing family or school things. I certainly didn't know about everything, but what I did made enough of an impact on me to stay with me and define my tastes.

The '90s were perfect in the middle because I was about equally split between the '80s (both what I already liked and getting deeper into stuff I didn't know about) and current stuff. Like I was into some of the mellower alternative rock and ballads and watched alot of movies (anything by Jim Carrey, Adam Sandler, etc). I was also able to grasp more "grown up" things like politics and just more of a detailed idea of what the time was like...yet I was still kinda young enough to be a little bit innocent about it.

I agree with everything you've said, especially your emotional attachments.

There's something about nostalgia in general (it doesn't have to be just the '90s) that can really get to you. I mean that in a good way. In fact, I wrote an essay about that at school the other day dealing with nostalgia. One of the coolest feelings I've ever had is nostalgia. Nostalgia: The Real Sixth Sense ;D

Written By: mary on 03/02/08 at 6:27 pm

i'm no fan of this generation either, i was a pre-teen to teen in the 90s i was born in 80 and those are my fondest memories. i find a great 80s toy on ebay and i get why are you buying that junk? to me it isn't junk its a blast from the past

Written By: Marty McFly on 03/04/08 at 9:39 pm

I agree with everything you've said, especially your emotional attachments.

There's something about nostalgia in general (it doesn't have to be just the '90s) that can really get to you. I mean that in a good way. In fact, I wrote an essay about that at school the other day dealing with nostalgia. One of the coolest feelings I've ever had is nostalgia. Nostalgia: The Real Sixth Sense ;D

Thanks. :) Yeah, I agree with that. I know these topic come up alot and I've probably said this before in one way or another, but I think the main reason why nostalgia feels so great to us is because it reminds us of familarity in our lives (for me, anything before 1999 is actually old-school enough to count now!). There's some comfort in that, especially if we remember exactly the way we felt and know what to expect. It's also like a vacation from the uncertainty of the present.

Written By: McDonald on 03/04/08 at 11:00 pm

My roommate says I'm a man of the past. I say the world needs people who remember the past just as much as they need people to manage the present and plan for the future. We all play our part.

Written By: Haman on 03/19/08 at 10:19 am

The sense of nostalgia, when properly applied and used -that means using it, not being used by it-, could even help to your survival. Strength through joy!  8)

Written By: Tia on 03/19/08 at 12:55 pm

i used to, but not anymore. man, those were the days. :(

Written By: shiroihikari on 03/25/08 at 8:38 pm

I don't get ridiculed for being such a nostalgic person, but then again, I also have no friends. XD 

Actually, I have plenty of friends, but they all seem to be okay with me being a big retro fanatic.  And thankfully, my fiance supports my obsession by watching lots of old anime with me.  :3

Written By: Never Duplicated on 03/27/08 at 2:30 pm

I doo. People say why doo yoo listen too that 90s.

Written By: Davester on 03/28/08 at 10:44 am

You know you've finally grown-up when MTV don't love ya no more...

Written By: Nineties nut on 03/28/08 at 9:57 pm

I've been ridiculed before for my nostalgic nineties ways, but unlike some nostalgic people I know exactly why I'm nostalgic. It's because the nineties were the best time of my life. 1999 was the last year I had before I moved house and moved schools in early 2000 and my life has never been the same (in a bad way) which is kinda sad  :(

I don't get ridiculed all that much though, because I have good friend who's also full of NN (Nineties nostalgia  ;D) and one day we're gonna get a house and it's gonna be a timewarp. VHS recordings of popular nineties shows, ghetto blasters pumpin' phat nineties beats, old school gaming systems everywhere, cupboards filled with pop rocks and Dr. Pepper and we're gonna dress nineties as well, just for kicks. ^_^

Sure, it sounds lame and you all probably think I'm off the deep end, but we think it's going to be heaps of fun!

Written By: Haman on 04/03/08 at 5:22 am

(...) one day we're gonna get a house and it's gonna be a timewarp. VHS recordings of popular nineties shows, ghetto blasters pumpin' phat nineties beats, old school gaming systems everywhere, cupboards filled with pop rocks and Dr. Pepper and we're gonna dress nineties as well, just for kicks. ^_^ 

A Total Environment! That is definitely a great plan!

Written By: Roadgeek on 04/03/08 at 10:15 am

I've been ridiculed before for my nostalgic nineties ways, but unlike some nostalgic people I know exactly why I'm nostalgic. It's because the nineties were the best time of my life. 1999 was the last year I had before I moved house and moved schools in early 2000 and my life has never been the same (in a bad way) which is kinda sad  :(

I don't get ridiculed all that much though, because I have good friend who's also full of NN (Nineties nostalgia  ;D) and one day we're gonna get a house and it's gonna be a timewarp. VHS recordings of popular nineties shows, ghetto blasters pumpin' phat nineties beats, old school gaming systems everywhere, cupboards filled with pop rocks and Dr. Pepper and we're gonna dress nineties as well, just for kicks. ^_^

Sure, it sounds lame and you all probably think I'm off the deep end, but we think it's going to be heaps of fun!

Not lame at all! ;)

Written By: Nineties nut on 04/04/08 at 7:10 pm

Yay ^_^

Thanks guys, now I don't feel so silly  :)

Written By: Tanya1976 on 04/05/08 at 11:38 am

My advice for you is to enjoy your nostalgia, but don't get hung up on the memories of others. You have to find some basis of reality for you right now, or else you won't have anything to pine for when you get older.

Written By: woops on 04/05/08 at 8:10 pm

Only a few cartoons from the early 1990's stand the test of time and I cringe at Power Rangers and Ninja Turtles.

I have a new appreciation for Looney Tunes and other animation from the early/mid 20th centurt since I've watched many documentries and read info from other sites about them.

I was never "hip" as a teenager and even then I was listening to older pop & rock music since I'm not fond of hardcore rap, which most of my peers were into.

Written By: Yahhh on 04/13/08 at 12:54 am

Do you? I sometimes do. At my school, I get ridiculed for liking 90's things. I am told to keep up with the times. At break, my friends play Tech Decks handheld game systems, or do nostalgic things, while the rest of the students text on phones, bluetooth songs, gossip, do bad things with the opposite gender, or flex muscles. I can hardly relate to teens. They are mindless, emotional, machines. I still play Nintendo 64, and I get laughed at. I send letters occasionally, while others text. I really am not a fan of this generation.

What generation are you from, man, Generation Z? I can only speak for Gen Yers I've actually been around on a regular basis (born '86 to '91, I would guess), but with us, all that '90s retro crap is so out, it's in. I'll give you an example. '90s cartoons? Totally epic. '00s cartoons? Tragically lame. Or, like, back in high school, if I would have brought one of those old school Game Boys to school, everyone would be like, "that's f***ing amazing, man." Maybe if one's entire existence was the '90s and they were afraid to embrace all the amazing technology of this decade, that would be a different story, but the occasional '90s retro here and there, totally cool.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 2:00 pm

Not me!

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 2:21 pm

Not me!

Me neither.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 02/11/14 at 4:13 pm

YES all the time.  :)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/11/14 at 5:17 pm

My interests span out from about the turn of the LAST century to the 80s. My friends have just learned that this is a part of me and will occasionally ask me "who" when I mention something unfamiliar. But they like me as is. I'm sorry your friends aren't quite as accepting Nintendo, but dont worry, at that age every kid thinks they know it all, and anything different is met with recoiling. In a few years, it won't matter.

Just do what you like and enjoy yourself. This make you unique and not a bumbling drone following the pack.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 5:33 pm

Nope. Now I am going to go listen to disco on my 8 track tapes after I take off my platform shoes & mood ring.

Cat

Written By: warped on 02/11/14 at 5:39 pm

Nope. Now I am going to go listen to disco on my 8 track tapes after I take off my platform shoes & mood ring.

Cat

I'm gonna put on my partridge family record, draw flowers and peace signs, and dress up as one of the Banana splits.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/11/14 at 6:00 pm

I'm gonna put on my partridge family record, draw flowers and peace signs, and dress up as one of the Banana splits.

Groovy!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:36 pm

;D

Written By: Howard on 02/11/14 at 7:36 pm

Not me!

me neither.

Written By: rgd51 on 02/14/14 at 3:12 am

I do all the time. I was born in 1991 but I have an obsession with 1999-2003 era punk rock like slick shoes, sum 41, etc. My friends laugh at me for it but i love the music

Written By: Step-chan on 02/14/14 at 8:25 am

Not that I know of.

Written By: XYkid on 02/17/14 at 2:34 pm

Not me, I pretty much still dress like it's the 90s too (flannel shirt, faded baggy jeans, band shirts, backwards cap, Oakley sunglasses, etc), and no one really bats an eye at me.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/19/14 at 6:55 pm

A little embarrassing: I get nostalgic over 90's movies I haven't even seen. The titles and hype just take me back.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/25/14 at 4:06 am

What are tech decks?  ??? :-[

I used to have a Super Nintendo that was sold a few years ago because I wasn't playing it, but in high school I'd get the odd urge now and then.

Check for new replies or respond here...